Jump to topic:

Matter is nothing?

a_drumming_dog
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2014 1:00:20 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
I was just thinking about quarks and fundamental particles lately. Do we know what any of the fundamental particles are made of? I mean, they can't really be made of anything if they are fundamental, right? If all matter is made up of these fundamental particles that aren't made of anything, then matter isn't really made of anything. Matter is nothing?? lol, perhaps my thinking is flawed.

Thoughts?
The truth will set you free
a_drumming_dog
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2014 1:01:21 AM
I just realized, matter is really just packaged energy. But then what is energy after all?
The truth will set you free
chui
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2014 2:13:18 AM
At 12/3/2014 1:00:20 AM, a_drumming_dog wrote:
I was just thinking about quarks and fundamental particles lately. Do we know what any of the fundamental particles are made of? I mean, they can't really be made of anything if they are fundamental, right? If all matter is made up of these fundamental particles that aren't made of anything, then matter isn't really made of anything. Matter is nothing?? lol, perhaps my thinking is flawed.

Thoughts?

Our current best answer to this question is string theory. This postulates that particles are oscillations a bit like a standing wave but looped around in a circle. To be honest I am not exactly clear what is meant to be doing the oscillating, a field of some sort a bit like electromagnetic oscillation I suppose. String theory is highly speculative and has little in the way of evidence to back it up. Perhaps the answer to your question cannot be found.
chui
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2014 2:16:21 AM
At 12/3/2014 1:01:21 AM, a_drumming_dog wrote:
I just realized, matter is really just packaged energy. But then what is energy after all?

The definition of energy is " the ability to do work" ie energy can create forces. Physics at this fundamental level can be really nebulous and not easy to get a picture of.