Jump to topic:

Science in the government

Truth_seeker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/9/2014 5:37:57 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I have a strong feeling that the governments abuse science for their own political purposes and do not actually care about the pursuit of knowledge simply what is most convenient for them which is why i gave up my dream career of being a scientist. Why should i help the human race create weapons? Cause the deaths of millions? I do not want to end up like Einstein when the government used his knowledge to create the atom bomb. I do not want the blood of innocents in my hands neither get involved in any political scandal. Why should my work be monitored by government officials? I don't want to feel dictated which would make me frustrated knowing that the government has the power to pull the plug on my research at any given moment.
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/9/2014 7:24:25 PM
At 12/9/2014 5:37:57 PM, Truth_seeker wrote:
I have a strong feeling that the governments abuse science for their own political purposes and do not actually care about the pursuit of knowledge simply what is most convenient for them which is why i gave up my dream career of being a scientist. Why should i help the human race create weapons? Cause the deaths of millions? I do not want to end up like Einstein when the government used his knowledge to create the atom bomb. I do not want the blood of innocents in my hands neither get involved in any political scandal. Why should my work be monitored by government officials? I don't want to feel dictated which would make me frustrated knowing that the government has the power to pull the plug on my research at any given moment.

How scientific minded are you?
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
Truth_seeker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2014 7:16:12 PM
At 12/9/2014 7:24:25 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
At 12/9/2014 5:37:57 PM, Truth_seeker wrote:

How scientific minded are you?

I don't really know nor do i concern myself with it lol

I do know that some things are better left unknown. Human limits are there for a reason. See human beings are so focused on control. Ever since the dawn of time, humans wanted to control the forces of nature and manipulate them at will to meet their needs even if it meant committing evil. If there was a way for them to travel to other planets and conquer other life forms, what's to stop them from doing so? History is bound to repeat itself. That's why there are questions such as "Is Mars habitable?" Man always plays the role of the conqueror and attempts to justify his devastation of nature for "the greater good." That's why scientists are there in case the government needs them to develop technology or a cure, etc. all for money. Before the bombing of Hiroshima, social scientists had constructed a model predicting that using the atom bomb wasn't necessary according to the Japanese culture and no one listened. Why is that? Because lives were at stake and it was too great of a risk to take. NASA wasn't launched so that humans could gaze at the beauty of space, it was so that we could have control over the Soviet Union's satellite floating over our heads.