Jump to topic:

Time Travel

Elliot.exe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/22/2010 4:44:24 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
In "A briefer history of time" by Stephen Hawking he discusses time travel and wormholes (chapter 10, pages 105-116). But here is what I think about the matter:

If applied physics has made a remarkable leap forward and it would be possible to engineer a time machine then surely the logical thing to do would be to go into the past and give the time machine to yourself which would mean there was no need to build it in the first place. On the other hand that would take away the fun and lets face it nobel prize.

Live long and prosper,

Elliot.exe
DevinKing
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2010 5:46:34 PM
At 5/22/2010 4:44:24 PM, Elliot.exe wrote:
In "A briefer history of time" by Stephen Hawking he discusses time travel and wormholes (chapter 10, pages 105-116). But here is what I think about the matter:

If applied physics has made a remarkable leap forward and it would be possible to engineer a time machine then surely the logical thing to do would be to go into the past and give the time machine to yourself which would mean there was no need to build it in the first place. On the other hand that would take away the fun and lets face it nobel prize.

Live long and prosper,

Elliot.exe

--Well, assuming it was is possible to go back in time, then there would be no need to create the time machine. *Because* they would already have it since their future selves had already given it to them.

--But time travel into the past creates many paradoxes and it's so much easier to just not think about it. :3
After demonstrating his existence with complete certainty with the proposition "I think, therefore I am", Descartes walks into a bar, sitting next to a gorgeous priest. The priest asks Descartes, "Would you like a drink?" Descartes responds, "I think not," and then proceeds to vanish in a puff of illogic.
lastrequest691
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2010 4:59:04 AM
Some people say that time is a river which moves sure and swift in one direction but let me tell you that they are all wrong. Time is like a fast moving train - it waits for nobody. Nobody can escape the ravages of time- This universe needs time for existence but time is also killing the universe slowly.

Again Time is like an oxygen which is needed by our body but oxygen also speeds up the ageing process. I have seen the faces of time and I have learned one thing that you cannot escape the ravages of time.

If I could travel back in time then I would never do that because no matter how far back I went I will grow old and die someday. You cannot escape Time.
"That song was absolutely waste of talent; you sounded like a wounded animal and who told you to play the guitar by yourself." Simon Cowell
Rob1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2010 6:35:59 AM
I agree with the previous post - the paradox leads me to believe that time travel is simply not possible. Its not just that I think the paradox is too difficult "to think about," its that the universe seems to have a certain consistency and harmony and if you identify it and follow it you can get some answers before science proves them.

Future time travel seems very plausible and I don't even consider it in the same category as "going back into the past." I would imagine that if we could get the ability to travel @ 99.9999% of the speed of light, people who are near death would choose to accelerate themselves to this speed in order to see the end of the universe since they are about to die anyway. The Earth would end with a fleet of permanently-suspended terminally-ill elderly people voyaging into the universe's final moment.
Master P is the end result of capitalism.
tBoonePickens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2010 1:31:08 PM
Time travel (to the past) is not possible. It is a contradiction in and of itself. Time is change; change = time. So, you can have:

(1) A lot of change = time moving quickly; akin to traveling ever closer to c.
(2) A little change = time moving slowly; akin to traveling very slowly.
(3) No change = time stopping; akin to end of the Universe or absolute zero.

One cannot have un-change or negative change as these would simply still be changes and thus be time moving forward. It would be like having negative distance which yields contradiction.

Additionally, time travel to the past would give rise to paradoxes (i.e. the grandfather paradox) etc. Of course, one can always ascribe to the MWI (Many Worlds Interpretation) of QM (quantum mechanics) and there one can seemingly travel to the past without contradictions; however, MWI time travel is NOT really time travel at all.
WOS
: At 10/3/2012 4:28:52 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
: Without nothing existing, you couldn't have something.
tBoonePickens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2010 8:29:50 PM
At 6/4/2010 7:10:52 PM, Rob1Billion wrote:
I think that is a good way of looking at it.

Thanks. I find this stuff incredibly interesting.
WOS
Andrew27
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2010 1:53:45 PM
Well we can see the past (light from stars only just reachinus from billions years ago) we can trvel to future as pointed out earlier by traveling near to or even faster than speed of light! Also time is realitive to where you are as satalietes in orbit have to have clocks updated as times goes faster in orbit. I like the idea that everything that could possible happen, happens somewhere in another universe ( see terry practchet lol)
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2010 2:26:00 PM
At 6/12/2010 1:53:45 PM, Andrew27 wrote:
Well we can see the past (light from stars only just reachinus from billions years ago) we can trvel to future as pointed out earlier by traveling near to or even faster than speed of light! Also time is realitive to where you are as satalietes in orbit have to have clocks updated as times goes faster in orbit. I like the idea that everything that could possible happen, happens somewhere in another universe ( see terry practchet lol)

You can't go faster than the speed of life.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2010 2:26:15 PM
At 6/12/2010 2:26:00 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

You can't go faster than the speed of light.

Fix'd
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2010 2:35:22 PM
At 6/12/2010 2:26:15 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 6/12/2010 2:26:00 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

You can't go faster than the speed of light.

Fix'd

Superman did.
nickjack
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2010 7:25:29 PM
There is obviously no time travel to the past a the previous speakers have stated. And time travel to the future would have to mean going near or faster than the speed of light. Modern day science has proved this impossible. Therefore time travel, either to the past or future, is impossible.
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2010 11:05:14 PM
It's possible that in order to successfully travel to the past, one would have to avoid altering the path of life that lead to you travelling into the past in the first place, otherwise the process would fail. Thus it would be a lot easier to travel one minute into the past than to travel a thousand years. For all you know, people from the future have already travelled to the past but the act of revealing such travel to anyone would prevent the travel happening in the first place. </end>
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
gerrandesquire
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2010 10:47:44 AM
yes, i do think that time travelling is possible. paradoxes are problems that we believe will happen when a phenomenon has only a theoretical base. We can always bend around those problems and when these have been proven experimentally.

And also, i believe that experimentally, protons have been sent (some microseconds) to future, that's the first step, i hope.
tBoonePickens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2010 1:12:18 PM
At 7/7/2010 7:25:29 PM, nickjack wrote:
There is obviously no time travel to the past a the previous speakers have stated.
Agree.

And time travel to the future would have to mean going near or faster than the speed of light.
No. The closer you get to the speed of light, the more time slows down for you relative to someone that's going slower. You CANNOT exceed the speed of light. When you do, the equations yield time travel to the past.

Modern day science has proved this impossible. Therefore time travel, either to the past or future, is impossible.
Incorrect. It is possible to the future, but not to the past.

At 7/18/2010 10:47:44 AM, gerrandesquire wrote:
And also, i believe that experimentally, protons have been sent (some microseconds) to future, that's the first step, i hope.
Sure, protons, muons, electrons, the space shuttle, etc. Even jetliners loose nanoseconds during long voyages around the earth.

The speed of light is the ultimate speed in the Universe...it's the speed of time!
WOS