Total Posts:27|Showing Posts:1-27
Jump to topic:

Gamma Radiation

Elliot.exe
Posts: 57
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/22/2010 4:50:55 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
One day I was on the loo and relised something. Surely Bruce Banner would have cancer from the exposure to gamme radiation, athough some say that the hulk is either a side effect of the gamma radiation or a tumour brought on by the exposure.

(if you thought this was about gamma radiation then sorry)

Thoughts?

Live long and prosper

Elliot.exe
Puck
Posts: 6,457
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2010 3:40:08 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
Marvel physics =/= our world physics.

Gamma radiation isn't inherently dangerous anyway. It is used for certain medical procedures.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Posts: 10,806
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2010 3:45:34 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
<facepalm>
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
belle
Posts: 4,113
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2010 9:24:11 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 5/26/2010 3:40:08 AM, Puck wrote:
Gamma radiation isn't inherently dangerous anyway. It is used for certain medical procedures.

yes it issssssssssss... it packs a ton of energy... the reason its used to treat cancer is because it KILLS things effectively :P
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
Puck
Posts: 6,457
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2010 3:06:22 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 5/26/2010 9:24:11 AM, belle wrote:
At 5/26/2010 3:40:08 AM, Puck wrote:
Gamma radiation isn't inherently dangerous anyway. It is used for certain medical procedures.

yes it issssssssssss... it packs a ton of energy... the reason its used to treat cancer is because it KILLS things effectively :P

What do PET scans use? :P
Zetsubou
Posts: 4,933
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2010 3:10:05 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 5/26/2010 3:06:22 PM, Puck wrote:
At 5/26/2010 9:24:11 AM, belle wrote:
At 5/26/2010 3:40:08 AM, Puck wrote:
Gamma radiation isn't inherently dangerous anyway. It is used for certain medical procedures.

yes it issssssssssss... it packs a ton of energy... the reason its used to treat cancer is because it KILLS things effectively :P

What do PET scans use? :P

X ray.
'sup DDO -- july 2013
Zetsubou
Posts: 4,933
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2010 3:16:03 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 5/26/2010 3:10:05 PM, Zetsubou wrote:
At 5/26/2010 3:06:22 PM, Puck wrote:
At 5/26/2010 9:24:11 AM, belle wrote:
At 5/26/2010 3:40:08 AM, Puck wrote:
Gamma radiation isn't inherently dangerous anyway. It is used for certain medical procedures.

yes it issssssssssss... it packs a ton of energy... the reason its used to treat cancer is because it KILLS things effectively :P

What do PET scans use? :P

X ray.

The gamma tracer is aided with X ray.

The scan itself is X ray.
'sup DDO -- july 2013
Zetsubou
Posts: 4,933
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2010 3:28:51 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 5/26/2010 3:26:55 PM, Puck wrote:
Ya don't have one without the other.

The gamma isn't the one scanning you with toxic radiation.
'sup DDO -- july 2013
Puck
Posts: 6,457
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2010 3:31:45 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 5/26/2010 3:28:51 PM, Zetsubou wrote:
At 5/26/2010 3:26:55 PM, Puck wrote:
Ya don't have one without the other.

The gamma isn't the one scanning you with toxic radiation.

CT is the scan with X-ray, which is done alongside a PET scan (usually).
Zetsubou
Posts: 4,933
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2010 3:40:54 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 5/26/2010 3:31:45 PM, Puck wrote:
At 5/26/2010 3:28:51 PM, Zetsubou wrote:
At 5/26/2010 3:26:55 PM, Puck wrote:
Ya don't have one without the other.

The gamma isn't the one scanning you with toxic radiation.

CT is the scan with X-ray, which is done alongside a PET scan (usually).

"PET images begin with an injection of FDG, an analog of glucose that is tagged to the radionuclide F18. Metabolically active organs or tumors consume sugar at high rates, and as the tagged sugar starts to decay, it emits positrons. These positrons then collide with electrons, giving off gamma rays, and a computer converts the gamma rays into images. These images indicate metabolic "hot spots," often indicating rapidly growing tumors (because cancerous cells generally consume more sugar/energy than other organs or tumors)."

That has the gamma.
http://www.petscaninfo.com...

I remember doing this for my 2nd biology case study.
'sup DDO -- july 2013
Zetsubou
Posts: 4,933
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2010 3:51:02 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 5/26/2010 3:42:53 PM, Puck wrote:
The PET scan records the gamma decay. The CT scan is what performs the X-ray for a more complete 3D image.

But it's not a gamma scan the imaging from PET is seen with CP. PET is a weak quantity of gamma not a gamma scan.
'sup DDO -- july 2013
popculturepooka
Posts: 7,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2010 4:52:48 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 5/26/2010 3:40:08 AM, Puck wrote:
Marvel physics =/= our world physics.


ROFLCOPTER. You mean if I get bit by a radioactive spider I won't gain spiderman like abilities?
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
Puck
Posts: 6,457
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2010 5:08:10 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 5/26/2010 4:52:48 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 5/26/2010 3:40:08 AM, Puck wrote:
Marvel physics =/= our world physics.


ROFLCOPTER. You mean if I get bit by a radioactive spider I won't gain spiderman like abilities?

You could try with the spider thing. Let us know!
popculturepooka
Posts: 7,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2010 5:35:29 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 5/26/2010 5:08:10 PM, Puck wrote:
At 5/26/2010 4:52:48 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 5/26/2010 3:40:08 AM, Puck wrote:
Marvel physics =/= our world physics.


ROFLCOPTER. You mean if I get bit by a radioactive spider I won't gain spiderman like abilities?

You could try with the spider thing. Let us know!

I'm not even sure where I would find a radioactive spider, tbh. >.>
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
Puck
Posts: 6,457
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2010 5:38:44 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
A lab. A careless lab. Should be plenty around, right?! Granted the odds of finding a chimp is better but I'm not sure Chimpman has the same ring to it.
belle
Posts: 4,113
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2010 10:10:22 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 5/26/2010 3:54:52 PM, Puck wrote:
I did not say a PET scan was a gamma scan. I said it used gamma rays. Which it does.

gamma rays produced inside your body... its different than getting bombarded with them!
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
Zetsubou
Posts: 4,933
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2010 4:10:34 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 5/27/2010 3:54:11 PM, wjmelements wrote:
I'm curious. What are the dangers of gamma radiation?

For starters.
Mutation. Instant Cell death.
'sup DDO -- july 2013
Rob1Billion
Posts: 1,338
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2010 10:31:10 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
Gamma rays are intensely energetic electromagnetic waves with a very short wavelength. I believe that, when the collide with DNA, they can alter it and cause mutation (if the cell is still enough intact to keep replicating). Your better off if the cell dies than you are if it is simply damaged...
Master P is the end result of capitalism.
RoyLatham
Posts: 4,488
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2010 7:31:20 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Both x-rays and gamma rays are potentially harmful. It depends upon the dose. Humans get continual low doses of gamma radiation from the sun. Irradiated food is sterilized using electron beams that kills the bugs by blasting their DNA. Irradiation used to be done used radioactive isotopes.

Gamma radiation has different energies. "The most biological damaging forms of gamma radiation occur in the gamma ray window, between 3 and 10 MeV, with higher energy gamma rays being less harmful because the body is relatively transparent to them." http://en.wikipedia.org...

Interestingly, measurable DNA damage from radiation is rarely, if ever, inherited. The big study was Hiroshima survivors.

"... scientists have reported on genetic studies of children whose parents were exposed to the Hiroshima and Nagasaki atomic bombs. The studies found essentially no difference between the rate of inherited birth defects in children whose parents were exposed to radiation and in those whose parents were not exposed. These researchers, however, believe that genetic damage did occur because of the radiation exposure. Animal research and laboratory experiments suggest that inherited genetic effects from radiation exposure should occur in humans. It is possible that current research methods may not be able to detect the genetic effect in humans. " http://www.doh.wa.gov...

Some years ago a report was circulated that depleted uranium on battlefields caused birth defects. The report was false. There were birth defects, but the rate was no higher than usual.
sherlockmethod
Posts: 317
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2010 8:32:01 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Roy is right, but ...
Bruce Banner was was bombarded with gamma rays at a time when kids did not know what to think of all the new technology showing up and the dangers it involved so the Gamma Rays (capital on purpose, Bank, Zonk, Kapow) Bruce was inundated with were super duper unknown gamma radiation beams of awesome, and it was green...then gray, dumb then smart and...it made a great super hero, one that has survived our changing culture and is still read today by kids who were just like me when thinking of all the cool stuff science was doing. Now, you don't have to believe me, but don't make me angry; you will not like me when I am angry.
I love this stuff.
Library cards: Stopping stupid one book at a time.