Jump to topic:

Artificial wormholes

Elliot.exe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2010 11:54:10 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
In s4e6 of DS9 they created the first artificial wormhole which got me thinking, could it be done for real? the LHC is being done we should take the next steps out of sci fi and into the real world.
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2010 7:59:03 PM
LHC= mini black hole/ black hole= entrance to wormhole/wormhole.

too bad both of those equals signs are based on little more than speculation...
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
Puck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2010 8:07:17 PM
At 5/23/2010 7:59:03 PM, belle wrote:

http://www.hasthelhcdestroyedtheearth.com...
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2010 8:11:23 PM
If there's wormholes could we discover time travel too? Some people think the Bermuda Triangle Mystery is related to time travel...
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2010 8:21:16 PM
At 5/23/2010 8:07:17 PM, Puck wrote:
At 5/23/2010 7:59:03 PM, belle wrote:

http://www.hasthelhcdestroyedtheearth.com...

they haven't reached full power yet. sometime in late 2012! :D
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2010 9:05:24 PM
At 5/23/2010 8:11:23 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
If there's wormholes could we discover time travel too? Some people think the Bermuda Triangle Mystery is related to time travel...

some people are silly.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
lastrequest691
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2010 11:34:45 PM
LHC is for creating mini-blackhole.

I don't think it is capable of creating a white hole as white holes only exist in extreme reaches of our universe- a doorway to another universe after all this place is a huge Multiverse.
"That song was absolutely waste of talent; you sounded like a wounded animal and who told you to play the guitar by yourself." Simon Cowell
Rob1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2010 10:52:31 AM
At 5/23/2010 11:54:10 AM, Elliot.exe wrote:
In s4e6 of DS9 they created the first artificial wormhole which got me thinking, could it be done for real? the LHC is being done we should take the next steps out of sci fi and into the real world.

Ok I love ST as much as anyone, and ST does do us a service by playing with some of the cosmological concepts but just because they do something on ST doesn't mean it is a technological inevitability. I think that most of the stuff they do on that show will never be realized:

wormholes
faster than light travel
hand-phasers
transporting
replication
ability to walk onto any planet they choose with little more than a vaccine (and usually not even that)

ST was begun on the assumption that it was what we eventually would be able to do. Note the original series episode where they encounter old Earth cargo vessels from the 1990s... While there are a select few things that have become true (e.g., hyposprays) the vast majority of ST is and always will be purely fiction. I still love the series but I realize that ST is a world that will never be, although I would hope I am wrong in many respects.
Master P is the end result of capitalism.
ChuckHenryII
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2010 3:29:24 PM
wormhole = time travel.

Once we either find a reachable wormhole or develop the technology to access one, we make time travel possible for humans.
Puck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2010 3:58:14 PM
At 8/4/2010 3:29:24 PM, ChuckHenryII wrote:
wormhole = time travel.

Ya do realise that both of those exist purely in the realm of speculation and wtf mathematics, right?
tBoonePickens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2010 6:56:23 AM
At 5/23/2010 11:34:45 PM, lastrequest691 wrote:
LHC is for creating mini-blackhole.

I don't think it is capable of creating a white hole as white holes only exist in extreme reaches of our universe- a doorway to another universe after all this place is a huge Multiverse.

(ok, I'll bite...)

But what about the Borg Collective? They might travel back to this time and assimilate us so that we don't destroy them in the future! We better find a Delorean and attach a flux capacitor to it quick! While we're at it, a Tardis or 2 wouldn't be bad either!

(I sure hope most of these comments are jokes, cause they certainly aren't science!)
WOS
: At 10/3/2012 4:28:52 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
: Without nothing existing, you couldn't have something.
tkubok
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2010 12:17:21 PM
I enjoyed DS9 as much as anyone(By far Garak is my fav char in the entire Startrek genre), but its just a goddamn TV show. Its as futile to ask as speculating whether or not Reptile Aliens who wear human skin will come down and probably give David Icke an orgasm, as with the TV show V-visitors.
ChuckHenryII
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2010 2:43:10 PM
At 8/4/2010 3:58:14 PM, Puck wrote:
wormhole = time travel.

Ya do realise that both of those exist purely in the realm of speculation and wtf mathematics, right?

Ya do realize that just about anything concerning this universe outside our solar system exist in the realm of speculation an wtf mathematics, right?
Puck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2010 3:45:13 PM
At 8/5/2010 2:43:10 PM, ChuckHenryII wrote:
wormhole = time travel.

Ya do realize that just about anything concerning this universe outside our solar system exist in the realm of speculation an wtf mathematics, right?

We have mighty powerful telescopes these days. :P

http://www.csmonitor.com...
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2010 3:52:36 PM
At 8/5/2010 3:45:13 PM, Puck wrote:
wormhole = time travel.

We have mighty powerful telescopes these days. :P

http://www.csmonitor.com...

I gotta get me one of those.
lastrequest691
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2010 7:26:30 PM
LHC is a mini-black hole which is normal because mini-black holes are produced in the Earth's Magnetosphere all the time.
"That song was absolutely waste of talent; you sounded like a wounded animal and who told you to play the guitar by yourself." Simon Cowell
PiperPhoenix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2010 2:48:40 PM
If you guys are really into finding out especially about wormholes and time travel then I would suggest my favorite show of all time! Stargate SG-1! The entire point of the show is Them traveling the galaxy by means of a wormhole created by the Stargate and a common theme in the show is when they travel through time because they step through a wormhole that is intersecting directly with a Solar Flare!
Demons run when a good man goes to war;
Night will fall and drown the sun
When a good man goes to war.
Friendship dies and true love lies,
Night will fall and the dark will rise,
When a good man goes to war,
Demons run, but count the cost,
The battle's won, but the child is lost,
tBoonePickens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2010 7:26:33 AM
wormhole = time travel.

Uh, no. You are aware of Cosmology, right? Answer: obviously not.

Blackhole NOT= to wormhole; these are very different things. Wormholes are solutions to some of the field equations and have NEVER been observed; Blackholes have been observed many times over. Whiteholes are even more bizarre and never been observed either. Remember, just because something is expressible mathematically, doesn't mean that it exists physically.

At 8/5/2010 7:26:30 PM, lastrequest691 wrote:
LHC is a mini-black hole which is normal because mini-black holes are produced in the Earth's Magnetosphere all the time.
Huh? The LHC is the Large Hadron Collider built by European Organization for Nuclear Research (CERN.) It's basically a giant expensive "toy" that smashes particles together!
WOS
: At 10/3/2012 4:28:52 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
: Without nothing existing, you couldn't have something.
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2010 12:57:56 PM
At 8/5/2010 7:26:30 PM, lastrequest691 wrote:

LOL wtffffffff. classic.
SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2010 5:46:39 PM
StarGate . . . ?
Minister Of Trolling
: At 12/6/2011 2:21:41 PM, badger wrote:
: ugly people should beat beautiful people ugly. simple! you'd be killing two birds with the one stone... women like violent men and you're making yourself more attractive, relatively. i met a blonde dude who was prettier than me not so long ago. he's not so pretty now! ha!
:
: ...and well, he wasn't really prettier than me. he just had nice hair.
PiperPhoenix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2010 7:45:33 AM
At 10/5/2010 5:46:39 PM, SuperRobotWars wrote:
StarGate . . . ?

Stargate SG-1 was the origional Series but it has spin-offs as well like Stargate Atlantis and Stargate Universe.
Demons run when a good man goes to war;
Night will fall and drown the sun
Friendship dies and true love lies,
Night will fall and the dark will rise,
When a good man goes to war,
Demons run, but count the cost,
The battle's won, but the child is lost,
SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2010 11:45:56 AM
At 10/8/2010 7:45:33 AM, PiperPhoenix wrote:
At 10/5/2010 5:46:39 PM, SuperRobotWars wrote:
StarGate . . . ?

Stargate SG-1 was the origional Series but it has spin-offs as well like Stargate Atlantis and Stargate Universe.

I know that I was simply referencing wormholes . . . (Wormhole X-treme he he he)
Minister Of Trolling
: At 12/6/2011 2:21:41 PM, badger wrote:
: ugly people should beat beautiful people ugly. simple! you'd be killing two birds with the one stone... women like violent men and you're making yourself more attractive, relatively. i met a blonde dude who was prettier than me not so long ago. he's not so pretty now! ha!
:
: ...and well, he wasn't really prettier than me. he just had nice hair.