Jump to topic:

Infinite Life

Kyle_the_Heretic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2014 6:13:05 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
In an earlier topic, I commented on the infinite nature of matter and energy, and asked if life (that which allows us to speak, think, feel, and act) could be related to energy. The unanimous response was that there is no relation. This didn't make sense to me, so I felt that either the answers were incorrect, or I was poorly phrasing the questions. To remedy my confusion, I read extensively on the internet, and spoke with two biology professors who graciously gave me their time. I now comprehend that, metaphorically speaking, energy and life are not even on the same planet. I also learned that "life" is a scientific mystery, and highly controversial subject that causes no small amount of disputation among the scientific community. What little we know about "life" is based almost entirely on speculation.

So, if I may also speculate, it seems to me that infinity would infinitely maintain all that it possesses. Not just matter and energy, but also "life", and perhaps even intelligence. Am I promoting Intelligent Design? No, absolutely not. I am entirely against such a movement. Though I am a religious man, I believe that if the churches are failing, that's their problem, and they need to work it out without invading the classroom. I'm leaning more toward a scientific approach touching on immortality. I, of course, cannot scientifically elaborate on what transition life takes after it leaves the body to rot, but it seems illogical that it would simply cease to exist any more than any other part of infinity would cease to exist.

Could this have gone into the religion or philosophy forums? Sure, but I'm looking for scientific insights, so I posted it in this forum.
Thinking is extremely taxing on the gullible, and it takes hours to clear the smoke.
Such
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2014 6:53:43 PM
At 12/21/2014 6:13:05 PM, Kyle_the_Heretic wrote:
In an earlier topic, I commented on the infinite nature of matter and energy, and asked if life (that which allows us to speak, think, feel, and act) could be related to energy. The unanimous response was that there is no relation. This didn't make sense to me, so I felt that either the answers were incorrect, or I was poorly phrasing the questions. To remedy my confusion, I read extensively on the internet, and spoke with two biology professors who graciously gave me their time. I now comprehend that, metaphorically speaking, energy and life are not even on the same planet. I also learned that "life" is a scientific mystery, and highly controversial subject that causes no small amount of disputation among the scientific community. What little we know about "life" is based almost entirely on speculation.

So, if I may also speculate, it seems to me that infinity would infinitely maintain all that it possesses. Not just matter and energy, but also "life", and perhaps even intelligence. Am I promoting Intelligent Design? No, absolutely not. I am entirely against such a movement. Though I am a religious man, I believe that if the churches are failing, that's their problem, and they need to work it out without invading the classroom. I'm leaning more toward a scientific approach touching on immortality. I, of course, cannot scientifically elaborate on what transition life takes after it leaves the body to rot, but it seems illogical that it would simply cease to exist any more than any other part of infinity would cease to exist.

Could this have gone into the religion or philosophy forums? Sure, but I'm looking for scientific insights, so I posted it in this forum.

I would like a bit more insight. What did you learn from those professors?

Based on my limited understanding, I think that life should be explored from the opposite end -- its inception, rather than what happens after it evidently leaves a body considered "alive."
Kyle_the_Heretic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2014 7:02:42 PM
At 12/21/2014 6:53:43 PM, Such wrote:

Based on my limited understanding, I think that life should be explored from the opposite end -- its inception, rather than what happens after it evidently leaves a body considered "alive."

The gist of what I learned is in the OP. I asked a student where I could find a biology professor, when I found the office, two professors were there. My conversation with them lasted about 30 minutes, with much of the conversation being between them. They amiably bickered about "life", but said nothing about it being infinite, that's all on me.

The inception of life is unarguably important, but I don't know how a discussion of its possible infinite properties can be discussed from that "end".
Thinking is extremely taxing on the gullible, and it takes hours to clear the smoke.
Such
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2014 7:20:43 PM
At 12/21/2014 7:02:42 PM, Kyle_the_Heretic wrote:

The gist of what I learned is in the OP. I asked a student where I could find a biology professor, when I found the office, two professors were there. My conversation with them lasted about 30 minutes, with much of the conversation being between them. They amiably bickered about "life", but said nothing about it being infinite, that's all on me.

The inception of life is unarguably important, but I don't know how a discussion of its possible infinite properties can be discussed from that "end".

Of course.

Take, for example, if life is an intrinsic part of the material on this planet, if only arranged properly.

That means that life flows through everything, and requires only to be activated.

See where I'm going with this?
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2014 7:40:32 PM

I think in biological terms "life" is represented as a couple of attributes such as metabolism, growth, etc.. this alone is very different from what you are defining as "life", which is more like soul or consciousness.

Materialistically speaking (as most science and atheist) "consciousness" is emergent from chemical reactions in a brain. When the brain is dead then so is the "life" in it.

Tho the energy being contained and stabilized by the metabolic reaction of the cell are not created or destroyed, it transfers leaks and changes during death. Leaking into the environment as unordered heat.

So science won't admit there is life after death. there would have to be some kind of medium that continues to exist holding the pattern of a consciousness after the material body is gone. If we for second think this is an alternate dimension, then we would hope to see more energy disappear from high energy collisions into this other realm. And the realm would have to be quite open to a transfer to imprint a whole brain.

If there were a medium that the signals are recorded on and continue to exist was around we would hope to see this interaction from other electromagnetic interactions.

What you might find interesting giving you some science perspective on this possibility is how bioelectrical signals and electrical potential effects the growth of living systems. it's actually been seen that a electrical signal is seen to light up on a forming organism before the cells then grow along the signals path.

http://www.scientificamerican.com...
http://www.plosgenetics.org...
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

This electrical potential is usually assumed to be from a cellular expression of genes, to effect other cells. Or it could be the potential changing and effecting gene expression.

At any point what you recognize as "life", soul, consciousness is the ordered arrangement of energy. When the order is broken it is a loss and degrades. Does the flower still exist after it wilts? Science says no. the flower was a temporal arrangement of the atoms and energy that now make up the dust it turned into.
Kyle_the_Heretic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2014 9:44:44 PM
At 12/21/2014 7:20:43 PM, Such wrote:

Of course.

Take, for example, if life is an intrinsic part of the material on this planet, if only arranged properly.

That means that life flows through everything, and requires only to be activated.

See where I'm going with this?

Okay, I see, and I agree, though I would give equal importance to what happens to life, if anything, when it rejects the body, or the body rejects it, as the case may be.

Now to find that activation switch, if it exists, and see how it works.
Kyle_the_Heretic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2014 10:01:13 PM
At 12/21/2014 7:40:32 PM, Mhykiel wrote:

I think in biological terms "life" is represented as a couple of attributes such as metabolism, growth, etc.. this alone is very different from what you are defining as "life", which is more like soul or consciousness.

Materialistically speaking (as most science and atheist) "consciousness" is emergent from chemical reactions in a brain. When the brain is dead then so is the "life" in it.

Tho the energy being contained and stabilized by the metabolic reaction of the cell are not created or destroyed, it transfers leaks and changes during death. Leaking into the environment as unordered heat.

So science won't admit there is life after death. there would have to be some kind of medium that continues to exist holding the pattern of a consciousness after the material body is gone. If we for second think this is an alternate dimension, then we would hope to see more energy disappear from high energy collisions into this other realm. And the realm would have to be quite open to a transfer to imprint a whole brain.

If there were a medium that the signals are recorded on and continue to exist was around we would hope to see this interaction from other electromagnetic interactions.

What you might find interesting giving you some science perspective on this possibility is how bioelectrical signals and electrical potential effects the growth of living systems. it's actually been seen that a electrical signal is seen to light up on a forming organism before the cells then grow along the signals path.

http://www.scientificamerican.com...
http://www.plosgenetics.org...
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

This electrical potential is usually assumed to be from a cellular expression of genes, to effect other cells. Or it could be the potential changing and effecting gene expression.

At any point what you recognize as "life", soul, consciousness is the ordered arrangement of energy. When the order is broken it is a loss and degrades. Does the flower still exist after it wilts? Science says no. the flower was a temporal arrangement of the atoms and energy that now make up the dust it turned into.

Sentience was implied in the parenthetical definition in the OP. It seems you're concentrating on energy as it relates to "life", but from what I've learned, there is no relation. Life stands apart in its own mystery, and is only subject, almost entirely, to speculation in the scientific field.

Science doesn't have to admit to life after death, as there is no empirical evidence of such. Which is why I'm speculating on the possibility that "life" though not tangible, is as infinite as matter an energy. It seems logical that everything we're aware of would be without beginning or end.

The heretical part of me believes that though the life of an omniscient, omnipotent being, if it exists, has had a more advantageous transition than you, you are nonetheless every bit as infinite as that being.
tabularasa
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2014 10:17:30 PM

I am interested in what you are saying, but I do not understand the context of the conversation. Would you mind defining "life" and "energy" as you understand them? Also, what do you mean when you refer to the "infinite nature of matter and energy"?
1. I already googled it.

2. Give me an argument. Spell it out. "You're wrong," is not an argument.
Kyle_the_Heretic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2014 10:45:11 PM
At 12/21/2014 10:17:30 PM, tabularasa wrote:

I am interested in what you are saying, but I do not understand the context of the conversation. Would you mind defining "life" and "energy" as you understand them? Also, what do you mean when you refer to the "infinite nature of matter and energy"?

Life, being that which animates an inanimate organism, accompanied (unless we're talking about plant life) by the usual sentient qualities.

Energy as it is basically defined by science.

Matter and energy being infinite as they can neither, and never could be, and never will be created (made from nothing) nor destroyed (eradicated from existence).
tabularasa
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2014 10:51:13 PM
At 12/21/2014 10:45:11 PM, Kyle_the_Heretic wrote:
At 12/21/2014 10:17:30 PM, tabularasa wrote:

Life, being that which animates an inanimate organism, accompanied (unless we're talking about plant life) by the usual sentient qualities.

Energy as it is basically defined by science.

Matter and energy being infinite as they can neither, and never could be, and never will be created (made from nothing) nor destroyed (eradicated from existence).

Energy obviously causes animation. There may not be empirical evidence that shows that energy produces consciousness, but it stands to reason that this is probably the case. The precise mechanism of energy animating matter is not known in full, but it is known that energy released in chemical reactions in the body funds the energy output of the body.
1. I already googled it.

Kyle_the_Heretic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2014 11:16:06 PM
At 12/21/2014 10:51:13 PM, tabularasa wrote:

Energy obviously causes animation. There may not be empirical evidence that shows that energy produces consciousness, but it stands to reason that this is probably the case. The precise mechanism of energy animating matter is not known in full, but it is known that energy released in chemical reactions in the body funds the energy output of the body.

About a week ago I agreed with you, but a lot of reading and two biologists later I have learned that life makes it possible for the body to produce energy, (aside from the energy the body produces by simply being an organism), but life, in and of itself has not been defined as energy.

If there is scientific evidence that I missed to the contrary, I would be very interested in seeing it.
tabularasa
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2014 11:48:56 PM
At 12/21/2014 11:16:06 PM, Kyle_the_Heretic wrote:
At 12/21/2014 10:51:13 PM, tabularasa wrote:

About a week ago I agreed with you, but a lot of reading and two biologists later I have learned that life makes it possible for the body to produce energy, (aside from the energy the body produces by simply being an organism), but life, in and of itself has not been defined as energy.

If there is scientific evidence that I missed to the contrary, I would be very interested in seeing it.

I am not sure, but I believe that animation may be described by the chemical processes of the body. Consciousness is what blows biologists' minds.
1. I already googled it.

suttichart.denpruektham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2014 9:42:40 AM

I would prefer to see it in a more empirical sense, but yes, I agree that life is energy but probably with different reasoning from you.

Our body generate heat through metabolism function, and those heat is what sustained our body and brain function (brain took about 20 kw to work). Heat is energy, so yes, life as in the force that sustain our biological consciousness, is energy.
Otokage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2014 6:20:01 PM

That matter and energy are eternal, doesn't mean everything must be eternal. Is a chair eternal? No, a chair is a chair untill you transform it into a pile of woods. Is an ocean eternal? No, it will be an ocean until it transforms into clouds. Is it life eternal? No, it will be life until you kill it.
Kyle_the_Heretic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2014 10:50:03 PM
At 12/23/2014 6:20:01 PM, Otokage wrote:

That matter and energy are eternal, doesn't mean everything must be eternal. Is a chair eternal? No, a chair is a chair untill you transform it into a pile of woods. Is an ocean eternal? No, it will be an ocean until it transforms into clouds. Is it life eternal? No, it will be life until you kill it.

And yet the matter and energy that forms the chair and the ocean is infinite, regardless of their transition. No, it doesn't mean everything is infinite, but it makes more sense that it would be. It's illogical that everything that is part of infinity is not also infinite, regardless of its transition, including life.
Otokage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/24/2014 4:40:18 AM
At 12/23/2014 10:50:03 PM, Kyle_the_Heretic wrote:

And yet the matter and energy that forms the chair and the ocean is infinite, regardless of their transition. No, it doesn't mean everything is infinite, but it makes more sense that it would be. It's illogical that everything that is part of infinity is not also infinite, regardless of its transition, including life.

I agree it could be called infinite, but but it should be pointed out that it is also discontinuous.
Kyle_the_Heretic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/24/2014 9:21:44 AM
At 12/24/2014 4:40:18 AM, Otokage wrote:
At 12/23/2014 10:50:03 PM, Kyle_the_Heretic wrote:

I agree it could be called infinite, but but it should be pointed out that it is also discontinuous.

The chair and the ocean are discontinuous. Science can show that.

I don't know If life is infinite. It just makes sense to me that it would be, as previously explained. I can't know if it's discontinuous anymore than I can know if it's infinite.
Accipiter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2015 3:50:24 PM

There is no such thing as infinity if you are unconscious.
Kyle_the_Heretic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2015 4:00:59 PM
At 1/9/2015 3:50:24 PM, Accipiter wrote:

Is there a such thing as unconsciousness if you are unconscious?
Accipiter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2015 4:05:11 PM
At 1/9/2015 4:00:59 PM, Kyle_the_Heretic wrote:

Yes.
Kyle_the_Heretic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2015 4:10:48 PM
At 1/9/2015 4:05:11 PM, Accipiter wrote:

Yes.

Is unconsciousness the only thing that can exist while one is unconscious?
Accipiter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2015 4:39:48 PM
At 1/9/2015 4:10:48 PM, Kyle_the_Heretic wrote:

Yes.

Nothing exists while one is unconscious.
Kyle_the_Heretic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2015 1:48:41 AM
At 1/9/2015 4:39:48 PM, Accipiter wrote:

Yes.

In post #20 you stated that unconsciousness exists while one is unconscious. So what is it: Yes, something exists, or no, nothing exists? If the answer is no, please explain why you stated "yes" in post #20.
Accipiter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2015 6:42:40 AM
At 1/10/2015 1:48:41 AM, Kyle_the_Heretic wrote:

Yes.

In post #20 you stated that unconsciousness exists while one is unconscious. So what is it: Yes, something exists, or no, nothing exists? If the answer is no, please explain why you stated "yes" in post #20.

That was a mistake.
Kyle_the_Heretic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2015 1:24:01 PM
At 1/10/2015 6:42:40 AM, Accipiter wrote:

Yes.

That was a mistake.

Very well. If nothing exists while one is unconscious, then how can one be unconscious seeing that unconsciousness does not exist in that state?
Accipiter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2015 1:32:28 PM
At 1/10/2015 1:24:01 PM, Kyle_the_Heretic wrote:

Yes.

That was a mistake.

Very well. If nothing exists while one is unconscious, then how can one be unconscious seeing that unconsciousness does not exist in that state?

Haven't you ever been unconscious before?
Kyle_the_Heretic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2015 1:40:04 PM
At 1/10/2015 1:32:28 PM, Accipiter wrote:

Yes.

That was a mistake.

How could I? According to you, I would have ceased to exist, and would not be able to post this. Are you going to answer my question in post #25?
Accipiter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2015 2:28:57 PM
At 1/10/2015 1:40:04 PM, Kyle_the_Heretic wrote:

Yes.

That was a mistake.

How could I? According to you, I would have ceased to exist, and would not be able to post this. Are you going to answer my question in post #25?

"Very well. If nothing exists while one is unconscious, then how can one be unconscious seeing that unconsciousness does not exist in that state?"

Very easily actually, one can go from being conscious and knowing it to being unconscious and not knowing anything.

Seriously haven't you ever been knocked out, had an operation where they put you to sleep or been in a coma?
Kyle_the_Heretic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2015 2:52:02 PM
At 1/10/2015 2:28:57 PM, Accipiter wrote:

Yes.

That was a mistake.

"Very well. If nothing exists while one is unconscious, then how can one be unconscious seeing that unconsciousness does not exist in that state?"

Very easily actually, one can go from being conscious and knowing it to being unconscious and not knowing anything.

Seriously haven't you ever been knocked out, had an operation where they put you to sleep or been in a coma?

"Knowing it to being unconscious" and "not knowing anything", which would include "unconsciousness." So, how does one know and not know the same thing at the same time?

Yes, I was knocked out with a baseball bat. An instant later (it seemed), I regained consciousness. I learned that I had been out about five minutes. The five minutes (give or take) that I lost was recorded by those around me. I may have lost those minutes consciously, but they didn't cease to exist.
Accipiter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2015 10:59:24 PM
At 1/10/2015 2:52:02 PM, Kyle_the_Heretic wrote:
At 1/10/2015 2:28:57 PM, Accipiter wrote:

Yes.

That was a mistake.

"Knowing it to being unconscious" and "not knowing anything", which would include "unconsciousness." So, how does one know and not know the same thing at the same time?

Yes, I was knocked out with a baseball bat. An instant later (it seemed), I regained consciousness. I learned that I had been out about five minutes. The five minutes (give or take) that I lost was recorded by those around me. I may have lost those minutes consciously, but they didn't cease to exist.

They did for you!