Jump to topic:

Is there a Portal.....?

lastrequest691
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2010 7:33:34 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
I was afraid to ask this question because I was afraid to be ridiculed.
I have always wondered if there was a portal at the edge of this Universe which would make way for another Universe.

We all know that God made Billions/Infinite number of Universe at one time so there must be something God connected each Universe with. There must be a portal to escape to another Universe.

Can we human beings ever find this Portal ?
"That song was absolutely waste of talent; you sounded like a wounded animal and who told you to play the guitar by yourself." Simon Cowell
Rezzealaux
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2010 9:17:26 AM
At 6/4/2010 7:33:34 AM, lastrequest691 wrote:
We all know that God made Billions/Infinite number of Universe at one time so there must be something God connected each Universe with.

God made lots of X, ergo there must be something that connects each X.

Well, nobody's gone under the sand at the Boardwalk and came out in Tokyo, so I dunno why you think such logic is anything more than a non-sequitur...
: If you weren't new here, you'd know not to feed me such attention. This is like an orgasm in my brain right now. *hehe, my name is in a title, hehe* (http://www.debate.org...)

Just in case I get into some BS with FREEDO again about how he's NOT a narcissist.

"The law is there to destroy evil under the constitutional government."
So... what's there to destroy evil inside of and above the constitutional government?
brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2010 10:02:24 AM
I have always wondered if there was a portal at the edge of this Universe which would make way for another Universe.

We all know that God made Billions/Infinite number of Universe at one time so there must be something God connected each Universe with. There must be a portal to escape to another Universe.

String theory suggests that we exist in a multiverse and that it may be possible to travel between the universes (I think that's right anyway, I haven't checked though).

However, the point is that our own universe is so vast that we could never hope to explore any more than a vanishingly small fraction of it so why bother "escaping" to another?
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
Rob1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2010 7:15:40 PM

You are assuming that simply because there are multiple universes, that they will exist in proximity to each other and have edges. Most likely, I would say, they do not have boundaries that are even potentially crossable in this way and if they did, they probably wouldn't be at the outermost edges.
Master P is the end result of capitalism.
omelet
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2010 7:45:25 PM
Wow, I don't even know what to say. I'll start with this:
1. We don't even know that a god exists.
2. We don't have any strong indication that there are multiple universes, let alone billions or an infinite amount.
3. Your conclusion doesn't follow from your premise. Multiple universes wouldn't have to have some sort of physical connection between them.
tBoonePickens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2010 8:35:04 PM
At 6/4/2010 7:45:25 PM, omelet wrote:
Wow, I don't even know what to say. I'll start with this:
1. We don't even know that a god exists.
2. We don't have any strong indication that there are multiple universes, let alone billions or an infinite amount.
3. Your conclusion doesn't follow from your premise. Multiple universes wouldn't have to have some sort of physical connection between them.

I agree with omelet. I really dislike the MWI (Many Worlds Interpretation.) I think that it's so fantastical that it borders on the ludicrous. Like you said: there is no strong indication for it either.

I think that there is just 1 Universe and that it contains "all that is." It can be infinite in the sense that there is nothing that it is not, but it can also be finite in the sense that there are a limited amount of "stuff" within it.
WOS
: At 10/3/2012 4:28:52 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
: Without nothing existing, you couldn't have something.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2010 8:44:48 PM
Nonsensical question by the definition of universe.

We all know that God made Billions/Infinite number of Universe
Nonsensical statement by the same, and no we don't all know that.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2010 10:44:47 PM
At 6/4/2010 8:44:48 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
Nonsensical question by the definition of universe.

We all know that God made Billions/Infinite number of Universe
Nonsensical statement by the same, and no we don't all know that.

lol don't be an arse, you know what he meant :P

if anything the term "universe" is outmoded, as people wish to speak of multiple portions of it effectively cut of from one another... whereby "universe" comes to mean our bubble and "multiverse" encompasses everything that is.
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2010 5:22:59 AM

they aren't only at the edge.

they're lot's of places. Mostly Basements.

some of them you wouldn't want to go to...

only if you try hard enough.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2010 5:32:11 AM

1. We all know that God created a multiverse? Even under the presupposition that God exists, what? Why would we think that? How would we know that? What?

2. What the heck is a 'portal'?

3. Why would God give us multiple universes to explore when the one we have is so big we'll never even explore a fraction of a trillionth of it?

4. What is the 'edge' of the universe? Is there some kind of wall where the universe just ends? What is that?

Why do you believe any of this? How do you know any of this?
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2010 8:11:23 AM
The question makes sense in the context in which "universe" was used. The word "portal" came into popularuse with computer games, where you do something like answer a question or present a key, and suddenly you are in another room or game space. Portals were invented so the whole game database wouldn't have to fit in memory, and there waime time to reload while traveling through the portal. A related concept is a "wormhole" whereby one could travel great distances in violation of speed-of-light limits.

My understanding is that portals and wormholes have not been ruled out by our current state of knowledge of modern physics, but they are not established as likely either. So just keep looking.

Michio Kako write about such stuff in "Hyperspace: A Scientific Odyssey Through Parallel Universes, Time Warps, and the 10th Dimension" and other books. I'm still working on phasers and transporters.
tBoonePickens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2010 1:22:32 PM
At 6/4/2010 10:44:47 PM, belle wrote:

if anything the term "universe" is outmoded, as people wish to speak of multiple portions of it effectively cut of from one another... whereby "universe" comes to mean our bubble and "multiverse" encompasses everything that is.

Uh, no. The term Universe is equivalent to the more modern popularized by "comic books" & MWI term Multiverse. Example, there may be many universes within our Universe. However, it seems clearer to say that there are many universes inside the Multiverse. Either way you use it is fine.

There is really no empirical evidence for a Multiverse.
WOS
: At 10/3/2012 4:28:52 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
: Without nothing existing, you couldn't have something.
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2010 8:12:40 PM
At 6/5/2010 1:22:32 PM, tBoonePickens wrote:

Uh, no. The term Universe is equivalent to the more modern popularized by "comic books" & MWI term Multiverse. Example, there may be many universes within our Universe. However, it seems clearer to say that there are many universes inside the Multiverse. Either way you use it is fine.

i agree with all of that, but for ragnar to say the question doesn't make sense because the universe is "all that is" is simply a tactic to avoid talking about the issue altogether.
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2010 8:37:23 PM
At 6/5/2010 8:12:40 PM, belle wrote:

i agree with all of that, but for ragnar to say the question doesn't make sense because the universe is "all that is" is simply a tactic to avoid talking about the issue altogether.

No. It's a tactic to get a terminology where the root of the word doesn't contradict the meaning one intends to be permissible for it. "Space set" perhaps. Then we can ask "Is there more than one space set?," or for OP "Are the portals at the edge of our space set which I'm going to assume God created, this assumption being almost as bat****ly made as the assumption of God's existence itself?."
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2010 8:37:55 PM
Fixing:

"Are the portals at the edge of our space set to other space sets which I'm going to assume God created, this assumption being almost as bat****ly made as the assumption of God's existence itself?."
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2010 8:39:44 PM
At 6/5/2010 8:37:55 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
Fixing:

"Are there portals at the edge of our space set to other space sets which I'm going to assume God created, this assumption being almost as bat****ly made as the assumption of God's existence itself?."
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2010 10:14:34 AM
At 6/5/2010 8:37:23 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
At 6/5/2010 8:12:40 PM, belle wrote:

No. It's a tactic to get a terminology where the root of the word doesn't contradict the meaning one intends to be permissible for it.

Nah, there is no need to clarify terminology when the meaning is already clear from the context. Most words have more than one meaning, and we pick the one intended from context. Many definitions are also strained at the edges, there being cases that are unclear whether they apply or not. Do we really care if we cannot precisely distinguish a "chair" from a "stool" or "bench" in every case? Best to just get on with it.