Jump to topic:

Flat Universe

tabularasa
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2014 7:22:52 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I'll just be honest. I do not understand flat universe theory. Can someone kindly explain it to a layman? Thanks in advance.
1. I already googled it.

2. Give me an argument. Spell it out. "You're wrong," is not an argument.
Subutai
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2014 7:32:26 PM
The flat universe theory argues that the curvature of the Universe is exactly one.
I'm becoming less defined as days go by, fading away, and well you might say, I'm losing focus, kinda drifting into the abstract in terms of how I see myself.
tabularasa
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2014 9:15:46 PM
At 12/30/2014 7:32:26 PM, Subutai wrote:
The flat universe theory argues that the curvature of the Universe is exactly one.

1. How flat is a curvature that is equal to one?
2. What is the definition of flat?
3. How can the universe be flat when it is spread out in every direction? Am I misunderstanding the meaning of "flat"?
4. Does "flat" mean "almost flat" or "basically flat"? How could this be possible?

Thank you
1. I already googled it.

Subutai
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2014 9:17:35 PM
At 12/30/2014 9:15:46 PM, tabularasa wrote:

3. How can the universe be flat when it is spread out in every direction? Am I misunderstanding the meaning of "flat"?
4. Does "flat" mean "almost flat" or "basically flat"? How could this be possible?

If the universe has a curvature of one, then the universe is completely flat. Think of a Euclidan plane. If the universe were flat, it'd be infinite, so it is infinitely spread out in every direction. This can still make a flat universe.
I'm becoming less defined as days go by, fading away, and well you might say, I'm losing focus, kinda drifting into the abstract in terms of how I see myself.
tabularasa
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2014 9:21:44 PM
At 12/30/2014 9:17:35 PM, Subutai wrote:

If the universe has a curvature of one, then the universe is completely flat. Think of a Euclidan plane. If the universe were flat, it'd be infinite, so it is infinitely spread out in every direction. This can still make a flat universe.

Gosh, I will have to ponder this for a couple of days. Be ready for more questions...I am very much obliged for your help. :)
1. I already googled it.

Subutai
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2014 9:22:55 PM
At 12/30/2014 9:21:44 PM, tabularasa wrote:
At 12/30/2014 9:17:35 PM, Subutai wrote:

Gosh, I will have to ponder this for a couple of days. Be ready for more questions...I am very much obliged for your help. :)

No problem. I'm by no means an expert on the theory, however, so if you have deep questions, I'd suggest talking to someone more knowledgeable.
SNP1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2015 9:05:26 PM
Flat universe means that a beam of light (with no obstruction) will go straight. There is no natural curvature of space.
#TheApatheticNihilistPartyofAmerica
#WarOnDDO
Accipiter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2015 4:36:33 PM

Thank you

Are you asking why people call it flat when you can clearly see that space is not two dimensional it's three?

Assuming that you do, we describe it as two dimensional to simplify it enough for our limited mental ability to think about it constructively.
tabularasa
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2015 6:36:48 PM
At 1/6/2015 4:36:33 PM, Accipiter wrote:

Thank you

Are you asking why people call it flat when you can clearly see that space is not two dimensional it's three?

Assuming that you do, we describe it as two dimensional to simplify it enough for our limited mental ability to think about it constructively.

Yes. I do not understand this. Also, I would like to know what is meant by "flat universe" in general.
1. I already googled it.

Accipiter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2015 9:11:00 AM
At 1/8/2015 6:36:48 PM, tabularasa wrote:
At 1/6/2015 4:36:33 PM, Accipiter wrote:

Thank you

Yes. I do not understand this. Also, I would like to know what is meant by "flat universe" in general.

There are three possible ways the universe can curve if it does curve.

http://en.wikipedia.org...

Not only is a flat universe flat but if it is flat it means the universe is infinite.