Total Posts:10|Showing Posts:1-10
Jump to topic:

Flat Universe

tabularasa
Posts: 200
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2014 7:22:52 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I'll just be honest. I do not understand flat universe theory. Can someone kindly explain it to a layman? Thanks in advance.
1. I already googled it.

2. Give me an argument. Spell it out. "You're wrong," is not an argument.
Subutai
Posts: 4,065
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2014 7:32:26 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
The flat universe theory argues that the curvature of the Universe is exactly one.
Don't let this site's demise affect you:

- Make an account on eDeb8
- Message Mikal to transfer your stats to eDeb8 (if you want them transferred)
- Contact any friends on here you'd like to stay in contact with
- Download any debates you'd like archived (go here: http://webpagetopdf.com...)
- Download as many mafia games as you can to preserve stats and history
tabularasa
Posts: 200
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2014 9:15:46 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 12/30/2014 7:32:26 PM, Subutai wrote:
The flat universe theory argues that the curvature of the Universe is exactly one.

1. How flat is a curvature that is equal to one?
2. What is the definition of flat?
3. How can the universe be flat when it is spread out in every direction? Am I misunderstanding the meaning of "flat"?
4. Does "flat" mean "almost flat" or "basically flat"? How could this be possible?

Thank you
1. I already googled it.

2. Give me an argument. Spell it out. "You're wrong," is not an argument.
Subutai
Posts: 4,065
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2014 9:17:35 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 12/30/2014 9:15:46 PM, tabularasa wrote:
At 12/30/2014 7:32:26 PM, Subutai wrote:
The flat universe theory argues that the curvature of the Universe is exactly one.

1. How flat is a curvature that is equal to one?
2. What is the definition of flat?
3. How can the universe be flat when it is spread out in every direction? Am I misunderstanding the meaning of "flat"?
4. Does "flat" mean "almost flat" or "basically flat"? How could this be possible?

If the universe has a curvature of one, then the universe is completely flat. Think of a Euclidan plane. If the universe were flat, it'd be infinite, so it is infinitely spread out in every direction. This can still make a flat universe.
Don't let this site's demise affect you:

- Make an account on eDeb8
- Message Mikal to transfer your stats to eDeb8 (if you want them transferred)
- Contact any friends on here you'd like to stay in contact with
- Download any debates you'd like archived (go here: http://webpagetopdf.com...)
- Download as many mafia games as you can to preserve stats and history
tabularasa
Posts: 200
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2014 9:21:44 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 12/30/2014 9:17:35 PM, Subutai wrote:
At 12/30/2014 9:15:46 PM, tabularasa wrote:
At 12/30/2014 7:32:26 PM, Subutai wrote:
The flat universe theory argues that the curvature of the Universe is exactly one.

1. How flat is a curvature that is equal to one?
2. What is the definition of flat?
3. How can the universe be flat when it is spread out in every direction? Am I misunderstanding the meaning of "flat"?
4. Does "flat" mean "almost flat" or "basically flat"? How could this be possible?

If the universe has a curvature of one, then the universe is completely flat. Think of a Euclidan plane. If the universe were flat, it'd be infinite, so it is infinitely spread out in every direction. This can still make a flat universe.

Gosh, I will have to ponder this for a couple of days. Be ready for more questions...I am very much obliged for your help. :)
1. I already googled it.

2. Give me an argument. Spell it out. "You're wrong," is not an argument.
Subutai
Posts: 4,065
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2014 9:22:55 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 12/30/2014 9:21:44 PM, tabularasa wrote:
At 12/30/2014 9:17:35 PM, Subutai wrote:
At 12/30/2014 9:15:46 PM, tabularasa wrote:
At 12/30/2014 7:32:26 PM, Subutai wrote:
The flat universe theory argues that the curvature of the Universe is exactly one.

1. How flat is a curvature that is equal to one?
2. What is the definition of flat?
3. How can the universe be flat when it is spread out in every direction? Am I misunderstanding the meaning of "flat"?
4. Does "flat" mean "almost flat" or "basically flat"? How could this be possible?

If the universe has a curvature of one, then the universe is completely flat. Think of a Euclidan plane. If the universe were flat, it'd be infinite, so it is infinitely spread out in every direction. This can still make a flat universe.

Gosh, I will have to ponder this for a couple of days. Be ready for more questions...I am very much obliged for your help. :)

No problem. I'm by no means an expert on the theory, however, so if you have deep questions, I'd suggest talking to someone more knowledgeable.
Don't let this site's demise affect you:

- Make an account on eDeb8
- Message Mikal to transfer your stats to eDeb8 (if you want them transferred)
- Contact any friends on here you'd like to stay in contact with
- Download any debates you'd like archived (go here: http://webpagetopdf.com...)
- Download as many mafia games as you can to preserve stats and history
SNP1
Posts: 2,446
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2015 9:05:26 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Flat universe means that a beam of light (with no obstruction) will go straight. There is no natural curvature of space.
#TheApatheticNihilistPartyofAmerica
#WarOnDDO
Accipiter
Posts: 1,600
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2015 4:36:33 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 12/30/2014 9:15:46 PM, tabularasa wrote:
At 12/30/2014 7:32:26 PM, Subutai wrote:
The flat universe theory argues that the curvature of the Universe is exactly one.

1. How flat is a curvature that is equal to one?
2. What is the definition of flat?
3. How can the universe be flat when it is spread out in every direction? Am I misunderstanding the meaning of "flat"?
4. Does "flat" mean "almost flat" or "basically flat"? How could this be possible?

Thank you

Are you asking why people call it flat when you can clearly see that space is not two dimensional it's three?

Assuming that you do, we describe it as two dimensional to simplify it enough for our limited mental ability to think about it constructively.
Among competing hypotheses, the one with the fewest assumptions should be selected. - William of Ockham
tabularasa
Posts: 200
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2015 6:36:48 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/6/2015 4:36:33 PM, Accipiter wrote:
At 12/30/2014 9:15:46 PM, tabularasa wrote:
At 12/30/2014 7:32:26 PM, Subutai wrote:
The flat universe theory argues that the curvature of the Universe is exactly one.

1. How flat is a curvature that is equal to one?
2. What is the definition of flat?
3. How can the universe be flat when it is spread out in every direction? Am I misunderstanding the meaning of "flat"?
4. Does "flat" mean "almost flat" or "basically flat"? How could this be possible?

Thank you

Are you asking why people call it flat when you can clearly see that space is not two dimensional it's three?

Assuming that you do, we describe it as two dimensional to simplify it enough for our limited mental ability to think about it constructively.

Yes. I do not understand this. Also, I would like to know what is meant by "flat universe" in general.
1. I already googled it.

2. Give me an argument. Spell it out. "You're wrong," is not an argument.
Accipiter
Posts: 1,600
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2015 9:11:00 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/8/2015 6:36:48 PM, tabularasa wrote:
At 1/6/2015 4:36:33 PM, Accipiter wrote:
At 12/30/2014 9:15:46 PM, tabularasa wrote:
At 12/30/2014 7:32:26 PM, Subutai wrote:
The flat universe theory argues that the curvature of the Universe is exactly one.

1. How flat is a curvature that is equal to one?
2. What is the definition of flat?
3. How can the universe be flat when it is spread out in every direction? Am I misunderstanding the meaning of "flat"?
4. Does "flat" mean "almost flat" or "basically flat"? How could this be possible?

Thank you

Are you asking why people call it flat when you can clearly see that space is not two dimensional it's three?

Assuming that you do, we describe it as two dimensional to simplify it enough for our limited mental ability to think about it constructively.

Yes. I do not understand this. Also, I would like to know what is meant by "flat universe" in general.

There are three possible ways the universe can curve if it does curve.

http://en.wikipedia.org...

Not only is a flat universe flat but if it is flat it means the universe is infinite.
Among competing hypotheses, the one with the fewest assumptions should be selected. - William of Ockham