Total Posts:11|Showing Posts:1-11
Jump to topic:

Rotating Universe, or a Stationary Infinite?

The-Voice-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2015 1:35:47 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I have no opinion on this topic; I just want to see what other people think.
Suh dude

"Because we all know who the most important snowflake in the wasteland is... It's YOU, champ! You're a special snowflake." -Vaarka, 01:30 in the hangouts

"Screw laying siege to Korea. That usually takes an hour or so." -Vaarka

"Crap, what is my religion again?" -Vaarka

I'm Rick Harrison and this is my pawn shop. I work here with my old man and my son, Big Hoss, and in 23 years I've learned one thing. You never know what is gonna come through that door.
Accipiter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2015 12:41:21 AM
I don't think a universe can rotate because that would mean it has an axis. The universe can't have an axis because it has no center or reference point from which things can be measured.
Clovis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2015 2:00:39 PM
At 1/8/2015 12:41:21 AM, Accipiter wrote:
I don't think a universe can rotate because that would mean it has an axis. The universe can't have an axis because it has no center or reference point from which things can be measured.

Agreed, if we are assuming the universe to be infinite there can be no center point or axis on which to rotate around.
Words are wind.

A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one.
Sidewalker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2015 7:29:39 PM
At 1/6/2015 1:35:47 PM, The-Voice-of-Truth wrote:

The only way something can rotate is in spatial reference to something else....it is meaningless to say the universe is rotating.
"It is one of the commonest of mistakes to consider that the limit of our power of perception is also the limit of all there is to perceive." " C. W. Leadbeater
drewr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2015 10:35:56 PM
At 1/8/2015 7:29:39 PM, Sidewalker wrote:

The only way something can rotate is in spatial reference to something else....it is meaningless to say the universe is rotating.

Anything can rotate as long as it contains more than one point and has mass - like a rotating planet which will still have an equatorial bulge even without a universe. There are some theories that say that the bulge is dependent on a universe, but nothing certain and really no known way to check.
chui
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2015 6:26:19 AM
A rotating universe would not be isotropic so this would show up in the cosmic microwave background radiation. With the latest images of the CMBR this can be tested and some evidence has pointed to a rotating universe. Apparantly this helps to explain the big cold spot in WMaP.

http://www.earlyuniverse.org...
Accipiter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2015 10:01:01 AM

Only if the universe is infinite.
Accipiter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2015 10:13:10 AM
If the universe is rotating that implies that there is a point (at it's axis) from which things can be measured.

If that were the case the speed of light could only be measured from that point.

What we have found is that the speed of light is always the same no matter where you measure it from.
Sidewalker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2015 8:12:50 PM
At 1/8/2015 10:35:56 PM, drewr wrote:

Anything can rotate as long as it contains more than one point and has mass - like a rotating planet which will still have an equatorial bulge even without a universe. There are some theories that say that the bulge is dependent on a universe, but nothing certain and really no known way to check.

There needs to be a external frame of reference, is this a God thing? What is the nature of the coordinate system in which the universe can be rotating? Are you contending that there is an absolute frame of reference in relation to which the universe is rotating?
"It is one of the commonest of mistakes to consider that the limit of our power of perception is also the limit of all there is to perceive." " C. W. Leadbeater