Jump to topic:

Science is dead

sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2015 7:12:16 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
The scientific community has allowed itself to be corrupted by politics so badly that that science actually let the US congress decide if it's science is real. Not a group of other scientists but politicians. What little respect I had left for science is gone now. Science is a f'ing joke now. Congress will decide if climate change is real, are you f-ing kidding me. As if that means anything on any scientific level. I am sure all their votes were peer reviewed. Bwhahahahahahah
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2015 8:11:24 PM
At 1/22/2015 7:12:16 PM, sadolite wrote:
The scientific community has allowed itself to be corrupted by politics so badly that that science actually let the US congress decide if it's science is real. Not a group of other scientists but politicians. What little respect I had left for science is gone now. Science is a f'ing joke now. Congress will decide if climate change is real, are you f-ing kidding me. As if that means anything on any scientific level. I am sure all their votes were peer reviewed. Bwhahahahahahah

Yes politicians will kill anything they get their hands on. Science, economics, you name it.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
Disquisition
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2015 8:58:53 PM
Seems as though Obama laid out a reasonable approach to climate change in his state of the union speech. The key thing he said was that "he is not a scientist" and that we should pay attention to climatologists who unilaterally agree that the recent changes in climate are man-mad. Its just these d!ck head republicans that try to disprove climate change by screaming that the scientists aren't real scientists when they don't know sh!t about the topic themselves.
gingerbread-man
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2015 5:06:05 AM
At 1/22/2015 8:58:53 PM, Disquisition wrote:
Seems as though Obama laid out a reasonable approach to climate change in his state of the union speech. The key thing he said was that "he is not a scientist" and that we should pay attention to climatologists who unilaterally agree that the recent changes in climate are man-mad. Its just these d!ck head republicans that try to disprove climate change by screaming that the scientists aren't real scientists when they don't know sh!t about the topic themselves.

If find all this extremely concerning. I have heard that in the next 12 hours, temperatures around the world will fluctuate by up to 20 degrees Celsius and depending where you are in the world the sea level will rise and fall from a few feet to a few metres.

What I want to know is what is the international community going to do to address these wide temperature and water level variations - such variations over a short period of time will have dire consequences leading to the death of whole ecosystems.

We are all doomed if we do nothing
Not my gumdrop buttons!

Debates currently in voting period:

http://www.debate.org...
medic0506
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2015 10:31:54 AM

Seems reasonable to me. Evolutionism needs protection from the Judicial branch of government, so why wouldn't other theories benefit from the great influence that the Legislative branch has on the opinions of the American people.
gingerbread-man
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2015 1:30:19 PM
At 1/23/2015 10:31:54 AM, medic0506 wrote:

Seems reasonable to me. Evolutionism needs protection from the Judicial branch of government, so why wouldn't other theories benefit from the great influence that the Legislative branch has on the opinions of the American people.

The scientists are pretty clever....but they aren't that crash hot on PR. Not sure if politicians are seen as more trustworthy as scientists to the general populace
Not my gumdrop buttons!

Debates currently in voting period:

HououinKyouma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2015 4:27:32 PM

This belongs in the society forum, possibly the politics forum.
"Here the ways of men part: if you wish to strive for peace of soul and pleasure, then believe; if you wish to be a devotee of truth, then inquire." F. Nietzsche.

"Freedom is always freedom for the one who thinks differently." R. Luxemburg.

"The principle of the masochistic left is that, in general, two blacks make a white, half a loaf is the same as no bread." G. Orwell, paraphrase.

"Islamophobia is a word created by fascists, used by cowards, to manipulate morons". Andrew Cummins.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2015 8:16:48 PM
At 1/23/2015 4:27:32 PM, HououinKyouma wrote:

You know, you are right, as the scientific community is now a political organization. DDO should delete the science forum.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2015 1:58:42 PM
At 1/24/2015 12:42:29 AM, Smithereens wrote:
did you write anything memorable for your 6kth post?

Don't pay much attention to it. No one remembers what people say.

HououinKyouma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2015 2:42:56 PM
At 1/23/2015 8:16:48 PM, sadolite wrote:

You know, you are right, as the scientific community is now a political organization. DDO should delete the science forum.

Even if that were true, and I am not conceding that it is true, it would only apply to the United States, but not to Europe, South American, Asia, Oceania, and Africa, and even most of North American (the US excluded).
"Here the ways of men part: if you wish to strive for peace of soul and pleasure, then believe; if you wish to be a devotee of truth, then inquire." F. Nietzsche.

"The principle of the masochistic left is that, in general, two blacks make a white, half a loaf is the same as no bread." G. Orwell, paraphrase.

"Islamophobia is a word created by fascists, used by cowards, to manipulate morons". Andrew Cummins.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2015 2:48:44 PM
At 1/24/2015 2:42:56 PM, HououinKyouma wrote:

Even if that were true, and I am not conceding that it is true, it would only apply to the United States, but not to Europe, South American, Asia, Oceania, and Africa, and even most of North American (the US excluded).

We the scientific community lobbied congress to vote that it's science is real, science became a political organization and lost all credibility. Everyone knows how congress works. You vote for this and we will pay this to that or do this to them.

HououinKyouma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2015 3:06:14 PM
At 1/24/2015 2:48:44 PM, sadolite wrote:

We the scientific community lobbied congress to vote that it's science is real, science became a political organization and lost all credibility. Everyone knows how congress works. You vote for this and we will pay this to that or do this to them.

Okay, first of all what is all this "we" stuff? To my knowledge it was one senator, of the congress of one country, that has decided to put forward a bill, that he knows is not going to pass, asking congress to vote on climate change, not to enforce science through legislation--though I fail to see how that would be a problem--but with the purpose of exposing which republican congressmen are stupid enough, or hypocritical enough, to deny science for demagogic purposes.

So, it is not the scientific community asking congress to accept climate change as real, though again I don't see what the problem would be if that was the case, after all climate change is widely accepted in the scientific community.

sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2015 3:15:27 PM
At 1/24/2015 3:06:14 PM, HououinKyouma wrote:

Okay, first of all what is all this "we" stuff? To my knowledge it was one senator, of the congress of one country, that has decided to put forward a bill, that he knows is not going to pass, asking congress to vote on climate change, not to enforce science through legislation--though I fail to see how that would be a problem--but with the purpose of exposing which republican congressmen are stupid enough, or hypocritical enough, to deny science for demagogic purposes.

So, it is not the scientific community asking congress to accept climate change as real, though again I don't see what the problem would be if that was the case, after all climate change is widely accepted in the scientific community.

typo: WHEN instead of "WE" You mean the great phrase 97% of all scientists agree. Here"s the genesis of the lie. When you take a result of 32.6% of all papers that accept AGW, ignoring the 66% that don"t, and twist that into 97%, excluding any mention of that original value in your media reports, there"s nothing else to call it " a lie of epic proportions

HououinKyouma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2015 3:18:39 PM
At 1/24/2015 3:15:27 PM, sadolite wrote:

typo: WHEN instead of "WE" You mean the great phrase 97% of all scientists agree. Here"s the genesis of the lie. When you take a result of 32.6% of all papers that accept AGW, ignoring the 66% that don"t, and twist that into 97%, excluding any mention of that original value in your media reports, there"s nothing else to call it " a lie of epic proportions

Could you provide a link supporting your assertion? Or am I supposed to just accept your word for it?

sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2015 3:57:00 PM
At 1/24/2015 3:18:39 PM, HououinKyouma wrote:

Could you provide a link supporting your assertion? Or am I supposed to just accept your word for it?

http://www.wsj.com...
http://wattsupwiththat.com...
http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk...
http://www.skepticalscience.com...
http://heartland.org...
http://www.cfact.org...
http://www.ncpa.org...

I can provide like a billion more if you need more

HououinKyouma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2015 6:19:07 PM
At 1/24/2015 3:57:00 PM, sadolite wrote:

Sorry, couldn't read it. It was asking me to subscribe in order to read the article. Screw that is what I said.

The main point of the article is irrelevant. They are now changing the subject to whether or not climate change is mostly man-made or not, but that is irrelevant to the science in question.

Again, changing the subject from "is climate change real?" to "is it going to be a disaster?"

This one actually backs up the consensus meme. Thanks for the article though.

Dishonest. It purposely misrepresents the results and methodology of the surveys.

Another article based on straw man arguements and red herrings.

More of the same.

If all the other "billion" articles you can provide are also just made up of red herrings and straw man arguments, as well as charged with ideological political bias and political and personal animosity towards John Kerry, Barrack Obama, and John Cook, I am not particularly interested in your "billion" articles.

sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2015 6:42:29 PM
At 1/25/2015 6:19:07 PM, HououinKyouma wrote:

Sorry, couldn't read it. It was asking me to subscribe in order to read the article. Screw that is what I said.

The main point of the article is irrelevant. They are now changing the subject to whether or not climate change is mostly man-made or not, but that is irrelevant to the science in question.

Again, changing the subject from "is climate change real?" to "is it going to be a disaster?"

Dishonest. It purposely misrepresents the results and methodology of the surveys.

More of the same.

If all the other "billion" articles you can provide are also just made up of red herrings and straw man arguments, as well as charged with ideological political bias and political and personal animosity towards John Kerry, Barrack Obama, and John Cook, I am not particularly interested in your "billion" articles.

So basicly you kill the messenger. What makes the sources you read that support your confirmation bias anymore credible.

HououinKyouma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2015 11:15:01 AM
At 1/25/2015 6:42:29 PM, sadolite wrote:
At 1/25/2015 6:19:07 PM, HououinKyouma wrote:

More of the same.

So basicly you kill the messenger. What makes the sources you read that support your confirmation bias anymore credible.

Not killing the messenger, just dismissing him for communicating inaccurate information. The sources I read are more credible because they do not make straw man arguments, nor present red herrings, all for the sake of making political points. I think you can see what the distinction is.

Enji
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2015 3:19:32 PM
This is almost as amusing as that time you posted about Obama's New World Order speech.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2015 3:46:59 PM
At 1/26/2015 3:19:32 PM, Enji wrote:
This is almost as amusing as that time you posted about Obama's New World Order speech.

Can you post a link to that I don't remember the post.

sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2015 3:54:07 PM
"Not killing the messenger" So you dismiss "THE FACT" that the 97% of scientists agree that global warming is real" Is completely misleading. You dismiss "THE FACT" that, the 97% is derived from a small pool of scientists who were actually asked and that those that were asked who gave contradicting theories were excluded from the survey? You say this is a lie?

Enji
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2015 4:09:39 PM
At 1/26/2015 3:46:59 PM, sadolite wrote:
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2015 4:13:44 PM
At 1/26/2015 4:09:39 PM, Enji wrote:

So what's your point?The source isn't credible?

Enji
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2015 4:16:41 PM
At 1/26/2015 4:13:44 PM, sadolite wrote:
I just think it's funny how you take things out of context to make them fit your biases.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2015 5:14:52 PM
At 1/26/2015 4:16:41 PM, Enji wrote:
At 1/26/2015 4:13:44 PM, sadolite wrote:
I just think it's funny how you take things out of context to make them fit your biases.

Put it into context

Enji
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2015 8:38:46 PM
At 1/26/2015 5:14:52 PM, sadolite wrote:
Put it into context
The senate vote on climate change is entirely irrelevant to climate science and unrelated to the scientific community; it's not confirmation that climate change is real, and it has no affect on how science is done (e.g. peer review).
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2015 8:42:20 PM
At 1/26/2015 8:38:46 PM, Enji wrote:
Put it into context
The senate vote on climate change is entirely irrelevant to climate science and unrelated to the scientific community; it's not confirmation that climate change is real, and it has no affect on how science is done (e.g. peer review).

Then the vote is irrelevant and meaningless. And those who voted are brain dead morons towing an agenda.

Enji
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2015 8:49:03 PM
At 1/26/2015 8:42:20 PM, sadolite wrote:
At 1/26/2015 8:38:46 PM, Enji wrote:
Put it into context

Then the vote is irrelevant and meaningless. And those who voted are brain dead morons towing an agenda.
Yep; the Democrats want to push environmental reform and the Republicans want to pass the Keystone XL pipeline -- their solution was to add an extra note to the pipeline bill saying "by the way guys, climate change is real." It's just political bullsheisse which made headlines.