Jump to topic:

What causes Deja Vu?

MettaWorldPeace
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2015 6:11:59 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
I have experienced Deja Vu countless times over my life. The first time was in the local mountains after a snowboarding trip when I was ten. There was even an occasion where it felt like I was experiencing someone el's Deja Vu.I know this is a science form, so this is most likely out of place, but in the movie "The Matrix" Deja Vu is caused by a change in "the matrix." Doing a little research Freud interpreted it as unfulfilled desires (although everything was unfulfilled desires to him). Jung interpreted it as tapping into a greater consciousness. I would like to add my theory is it is some sort of foresight because sometimes I recognize my Deja Vu from dreams I've had. But how do you explain having the feeling you've "been there before" when it actually is a unique experience?
I awakened to another dream.
gingerbread-man
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2015 6:40:47 AM
At 1/23/2015 6:11:59 AM, MettaWorldPeace wrote:
I have experienced Deja Vu countless times over my life. The first time was in the local mountains after a snowboarding trip when I was ten. There was even an occasion where it felt like I was experiencing someone el's Deja Vu.I know this is a science form, so this is most likely out of place, but in the movie "The Matrix" Deja Vu is caused by a change in "the matrix." Doing a little research Freud interpreted it as unfulfilled desires (although everything was unfulfilled desires to him). Jung interpreted it as tapping into a greater consciousness. I would like to add my theory is it is some sort of foresight because sometimes I recognize my Deja Vu from dreams I've had. But how do you explain having the feeling you've "been there before" when it actually is a unique experience?

Apparently it is something to do with your neural pathways being out of sync for a few milliseconds or something similar
Not my gumdrop buttons!

Debates currently in voting period:

http://www.debate.org...
gingerbread-man
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2015 6:41:21 AM

Apparently it is something to do with your neural pathways being out of sync for a few milliseconds or something similar...wait I'm getting it now
Not my gumdrop buttons!

Debates currently in voting period:

http://www.debate.org...
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2015 8:28:09 AM
When I get knocked out of REM sleep during the night, it sometimes has repercussions during the day and I have slight waking dreams that are very reminiscent of an intense deja vu... they are accompanied by a brief but intense depression which lasts for about a minute or two.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
Such
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2015 9:34:36 PM
At 1/23/2015 8:28:09 AM, R0b1Billion wrote:
When I get knocked out of REM sleep during the night, it sometimes has repercussions during the day and I have slight waking dreams that are very reminiscent of an intense deja vu... they are accompanied by a brief but intense depression which lasts for about a minute or two.

Whoa.

That's interesting.
Such
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2015 9:36:40 PM

Well, the people I've encountered have said things like: "it's an indication that you're in the right place at the right time" and "it's memories from a past life."

But, thinking back to my own sensations of deja vu, I think it probably has something to do with when expectation, desire, and imagination intersect.
Otokage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2015 4:42:02 PM

I've had deja vu so many times that I can't even tell you when was the first/last time I had one. Although the last was probably a month ago. I never pass more than 3 months or so without having one lol.

A neuroanatomist friend of mine said to me that when you look at something, you aren't really looking at the real "thing". Things aren't as how we see them in reality, but in a few miliseconds or so, the brain creates a proper picture that represents reality with accuracy. As a result, what you are seeing is not "in real time", but rather a "film very recently recorded". So what you are seeing, is actualy a memory. When the brain evokes this memory, it also evokes the feeling of it being from "present time" aka super-recent, but the brain is not perfect, it can fail on this task, and could evoke the feeling of it being "past time", and thus you will have the feeling that this is a memory of something you lived long ago, not of something you are living in the present.

This is of course for "common" deja vu. I'm not speaking about "paranormal" Deja vu, which is the one that allows you to say something like: oh i've already been here, now when we turn right on that road, we will see a restaurant with red chairs! <- That one have never happened to me, and I believe have never happened to anyone in reality.
MettaWorldPeace
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2015 12:02:15 AM
At 1/26/2015 4:42:02 PM, Otokage wrote:

I've had deja vu so many times that I can't even tell you when was the first/last time I had one. Although the last was probably a month ago. I never pass more than 3 months or so without having one lol.

A neuroanatomist friend of mine said to me that when you look at something, you aren't really looking at the real "thing". Things aren't as how we see them in reality, but in a few miliseconds or so, the brain creates a proper picture that represents reality with accuracy. As a result, what you are seeing is not "in real time", but rather a "film very recently recorded". So what you are seeing, is actualy a memory. When the brain evokes this memory, it also evokes the feeling of it being from "present time" aka super-recent, but the brain is not perfect, it can fail on this task, and could evoke the feeling of it being "past time", and thus you will have the feeling that this is a memory of something you lived long ago, not of something you are living in the present.

This is of course for "common" deja vu. I'm not speaking about "paranormal" Deja vu, which is the one that allows you to say something like: oh i've already been here, now when we turn right on that road, we will see a restaurant with red chairs! <- That one have never happened to me, and I believe have never happened to anyone in reality.

This is a very interesting explanation, that was hinted at by another poster. I agree that I have never had the latter. However sometimes I remember them from dreams I have had in the past. It seems that it must be some sort of process, maybe something with choice. Maybe when we choose a different future, we experience Deja Vu. If this is true, then time is multidimensional, and different people experience different futures based on choice--relativistic paths to growth and change.
Otokage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2015 4:31:35 AM
At 1/27/2015 12:02:15 AM, MettaWorldPeace wrote:
At 1/26/2015 4:42:02 PM, Otokage wrote:

This is a very interesting explanation, that was hinted at by another poster. I agree that I have never had the latter. However sometimes I remember them from dreams I have had in the past. It seems that it must be some sort of process, maybe something with choice. Maybe when we choose a different future, we experience Deja Vu. If this is true, then time is multidimensional, and different people experience different futures based on choice--relativistic paths to growth and change.

That's interesting. Usualy when people have Deja vu, myself included, you can't really tell when did you live that experience in the past, nor where (ie a dream), etc. When I have them, I'm like "oh I swear I've already been here!" and then I'm like "ok I have no clue on when this was..." I couldn't even tell if it was recent, or looong ago, it feels so weird lol
Bennett91
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2015 4:41:17 AM
Electric-Eccentric
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2015 8:30:17 AM
Time is mostly a illusion.

In the dream realm of the mind we can travel in time.

Deja Vu is simply having a dream of the event prior to the "actual event".

It can be minutes, hours or years before the "actual event".
Life is what YOU make it,
Most just try and fake it...
MettaWorldPeace
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2015 11:46:12 PM
I think Deja Vu occurs in people who experience something they already experienced in a very strange way. It's like they expect C to happen and it does happen, but C shouldn't have been expected, but in an odd way it should have. Or they experience it in a way that they wouldn't expect--like going around in circles. Either way it seems some people experience it and others don't. Age seems to be a factor in how often it is experienced in the brain.
Electric-Eccentric
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2015 12:32:54 AM
If a person has a basic understanding of what frequency, sine waves, resistance, capacitor and such mean in the world of radio, electronics and such they would understand that it all has to do with the math of ones and zeros. On or off. There is no in between but what is imagined with personal opinions.

We are all connected and there is so called scientific and medical proof and evidence of this. So called mind reading, feeling the tension of others. The hairs on the back of your neck standing up because you sense something unseen and unknown. People can also tune in radio broadcasts within their minds without any type of gadget. The list goes on and on.

Deja Vu is simply what we could call mind time travel. It's all just the languege of ones and zeros that float around within us and all around us in the air invisible to our eyes and ears without being able to TUNE IN to the proper frequency for what we seek or what we receive and send.

Truth can be stranger then fiction.
Life is what YOU make it,
Most just try and fake it...
MettaWorldPeace
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2015 8:36:35 PM
At 1/29/2015 8:30:11 PM, ford_prefect wrote:
At 1/27/2015 11:46:12 PM, MettaWorldPeace wrote:

Sorry to be random, but i love the username