Jump to topic:

Lorentz ether theory

SNP1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2015 1:14:31 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
A friend of mine told me about Lorentz ether theory (relativity). I, personally, have never found any argument for the existence of the ether/aether to be convincing. What evidence is there for the ether according to Lorentz ether theory? If there is none, why should anyone believe Lorentz ether theory?
#TheApatheticNihilistPartyofAmerica
#WarOnDDO
SNP1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2015 1:26:14 PM
At 1/26/2015 1:23:40 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
http://www.debate.org...

If I want to look at a debate, I would preffer one where both sides actually did a good job, not one where one side didn't do anything.
#TheApatheticNihilistPartyofAmerica
#WarOnDDO
Otokage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2015 7:03:28 PM
At 1/26/2015 1:14:31 PM, SNP1 wrote:
A friend of mine told me about Lorentz ether theory (relativity). I, personally, have never found any argument for the existence of the ether/aether to be convincing. What evidence is there for the ether according to Lorentz ether theory? If there is none, why should anyone believe Lorentz ether theory?

Isn't aether simply a fancy way to call to electromagnetic fields, gravitational fields, vacuum, etc?
Enji
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2015 9:02:05 PM

You shouldn't. The Lorentz ether theory is an ad hoc fix to previous ether theories by adding concepts from special relativity, however these concepts follow naturally from the postulates of special relativity. LET makes the same predictions as special relativity, so you can't distinguish between the two experimentally. Special relativity should be preferred because it's simpler and not reliant on the same ad hoc fixes LET requires.
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2015 10:04:48 AM
At 1/26/2015 1:26:14 PM, SNP1 wrote:
At 1/26/2015 1:23:40 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
http://www.debate.org...

If I want to look at a debate, I would preffer one where both sides actually did a good job, not one where one side didn't do anything.

You asked for arguments for neo-lorentzian interpretations of SR though. There they are.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2015 10:06:07 AM
At 1/26/2015 9:02:05 PM, Enji wrote:

You shouldn't. The Lorentz ether theory is an ad hoc fix to previous ether theories by adding concepts from special relativity, however these concepts follow naturally from the postulates of special relativity. LET makes the same predictions as special relativity, so you can't distinguish between the two experimentally. Special relativity should be preferred because it's simpler and not reliant on the same ad hoc fixes LET requires.

It's not a contrast between neo-lorentzian theories and special relativity. It's a contrast between different interpretation of special relativity.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
Enji
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2015 7:24:11 PM
At 1/27/2015 10:06:07 AM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 1/26/2015 9:02:05 PM, Enji wrote:

It's not a contrast between neo-lorentzian theories and special relativity. It's a contrast between different interpretation of special relativity.

I should have been more precise and stated "Einstein's special relativity".