Jump to topic:

did this happen?

gerrandesquire
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2010 2:32:46 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
did Einstein ever actually did a successful experiment on time travelling?

i remember an experiment involving a ship which disappeared and reappeared at the same instant from one place to another, but the people on the ship became mentally unstable, and that is why the experiment was scraped. is it true?
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2010 2:36:30 AM
Yeah, I debated on this issue a while ago.

http://www.debate.org...
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/3/2010 8:15:27 AM
Of course it's not true!
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/3/2010 10:16:50 AM
At 7/3/2010 9:57:51 AM, gerrandesquire wrote:
At 7/3/2010 8:15:27 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
Of course it's not true!

why not?

If we claim the experiment was successful then it stands to reason the technology would be in use now. Especially something that powerful. A few test subjects going insane matters little to a Government that tested LSD on entire villages.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
gerrandesquire
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2010 6:03:12 AM
At 7/3/2010 10:16:50 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
Of course it's not true!

why not?

If we claim the experiment was successful then it stands to reason the technology would be in use now. Especially something that powerful. A few test subjects going insane matters little to a Government that tested LSD on entire villages.

but there can't be smoke without any fire. There must have been something basic that generated this 'rumor' (if that is what it is). and especially something with that great detail.
Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2010 6:17:48 AM
At 7/4/2010 6:03:12 AM, gerrandesquire wrote:
Of course it's not true!

why not?

but there can't be smoke without any fire. There must have been something basic that generated this 'rumor' (if that is what it is). and especially something with that great detail.

If we have learned anything about legends, religions and history, it's that people can invent and propagate highly detailed, popular and fictitious accounts.
gerrandesquire
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2010 8:37:32 AM

If we have learned anything about legends, religions and history, it's that people can invent and propagate highly detailed, popular and fictitious accounts.

but this is relative, right? for you something may be a fictitious account, but it may have been a reality, and many people may believe in it. it may be a reality.
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2010 8:56:38 AM
At 7/4/2010 8:37:32 AM, gerrandesquire wrote:

but this is relative, right? for you something may be a fictitious account, but it may have been a reality, and many people may believe in it. it may be a reality.

lol :)

It may be that you're not really a person..

It may be that you're an intelligent mouse typing by jumping on the keyboard.

That May Be a reality!
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
gerrandesquire
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2010 9:54:22 AM

lol :)

It may be that you're not really a person..

It may be that you're an intelligent mouse typing by jumping on the keyboard.

That May Be a reality!

it may be:-)
or maybe i'm actually a reincarnated form of Einstein, sent on Earth to spread awareness in narrow minded individuals hoarding the Earth.

That may be the reality!!!
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2010 9:58:21 AM
Of course it's not true!

why not?

Of course there can be, history is peppered with jokes, hoaxes and misunderstandings.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2010 10:04:26 AM
At 7/4/2010 9:58:21 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
Of course it's not true!

why not?

yeah:
MikeLoviN
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2010 10:25:08 AM
Are you familiar with thought experiments? Physical tests are not always necessary for logical conclusions. This video should give you the very basic idea.
J.Kenyon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2010 10:42:35 AM
At 7/4/2010 8:37:32 AM, gerrandesquire wrote:

Surely, you can't be serious.
gerrandesquire
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2010 12:12:34 PM
sorry, i did not make myself clear. I meant that, we can't say that this experiment was wholly rumoured. There may be some truth to it.

i came to it through this link...

http://www.spiritual-endeavors.org...

Do you think disappearing things is possible? the theory seems plausible.
Puck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2010 4:47:28 PM
At 7/4/2010 12:12:34 PM, gerrandesquire wrote:
sorry, i did not make myself clear. I meant that, we can't say that this experiment was wholly rumoured.

Sure we can.

It's a fraudulent claim.

See, easy. :)
Strikeeagle84015
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2010 4:55:47 PM
Is this discussion about time travel or invisibility?
Because if it is invisibility I saw a thing on the news that scientists had successfully created a material that bends radio waves around it. So from that point you just have to adjust it so it bends visible light so invisibility is very possible and is probably already been achieved we just don't have high enough security clearance to know about it
: At 8/17/2010 7:17:56 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
: Hey dawg, i herd you like evangelical trolls so we put a bible thumper in yo bible thumper so you can troll while you troll!

Arguing with an atheist about God is very similar to arguing with a blind man about what the Sistine Chapel looks like
Marilyn Poe

Strikeeagle wrote
The only way I will stop believing in God is if he appeared before me and told me that he did not exist.
tBoonePickens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2010 8:59:24 AM
At 7/4/2010 4:55:47 PM, Strikeeagle84015 wrote:
Because if it is invisibility I saw a thing on the news that scientists had successfully created a material that bends radio waves around it. So from that point you just have to adjust it so it bends visible light so invisibility is very possible and is probably already been achieved we just don't have high enough security clearance to know about it
Neither. It's about Tralfamadorians.

At 7/4/2010 12:12:34 PM, gerrandesquire wrote:
sorry, i did not make myself clear. I meant that, we can't say that this experiment was wholly rumoured. There may be some truth to it.
There is: the truth is that it's a rumor. I think it's the Philadelphia experiment. They've made movies about it too.

i came to it through this link...
http://www.spiritual-endeavors.org...
Yeah that's it. It's basically a hoax.

Do you think disappearing things is possible? the theory seems plausible.
Sure, David Copperfield made the Statue of Liberty disappear. Secondly, what theory are you referring to exactly?
WOS
: At 10/3/2012 4:28:52 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
: Without nothing existing, you couldn't have something.
Atheism
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2010 12:24:38 AM
At 7/6/2010 2:34:44 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
Proof for said experiment happening? No? Didn't happen then.

LACKOFPROOFDOESNOTEQUALPROOFOFNONEXPERIMENTHURRDURRHURR/
But yeah, if time-travel becomes possible we are ALL screwed.
I miss the old members.
gerrandesquire
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2010 11:23:27 AM
At 7/6/2010 8:59:24 AM, tBoonePickens wrote:
At 7/4/2010 4:55:47 PM, Strikeeagle84015 wrote:

Neither. It's about Tralfamadorians.

okay so i saw there was some confusion regarding the topic. actually we were taught about this by a teacher who wasn't highly competent, and she glamourised some of the details and replaced the term philadelphia experiment with time travelling. I, being a gullible child, grew excited and serched for it and saw the hyperlinked post which further made me accept the story. And then i tried to find others point of view on the experiment, which was not what i was really expecting

No one believes this, do they? On the net too, i couldn't find a single site that believed the experiment took place, (except people claiming that they were ON the ship)
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2010 1:47:49 PM
At 7/7/2010 12:24:38 AM, Atheism wrote:
At 7/6/2010 2:34:44 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
Proof for said experiment happening? No? Didn't happen then.

LACKOFPROOFDOESNOTEQUALPROOFOFNONEXPERIMENTHURRDURRHURR/
But yeah, if time-travel becomes possible we are ALL screwed.

Surely if time travel is to become possible we both have been screwed and are to be screwed.
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2010 11:26:21 AM
It violates the laws of physics as well understand them, so it is in the category of "magic." Moreover, as with all conspiracy theories, the fatal defect is that details and evidence of something so momentous could not possibly be kept secret.

The relevant quote is, "Where there is smoke, there is a smoke maker." -Samuel Goldwyn