Jump to topic:

Science is not against religion

drpiek
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2015 8:56:20 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I read all these attempts to juxtapose scientific findings and religion as if they are at odds. I think the scientific minded that think science could ever disprove god, and the religious who cringe at scientific findings as if they are against god are just silly.
Evolution is a fact and it does not disprove god, it just shows us a little more about how god does things. The same goes for the big bang. Religion tries to understand the why behind god and has made many mistakes in the understanding of the how. Science disregards the why question and focuses on how god does it.
It is the religious literalists who get all upset when science shows their books written thousands of years ago, got something wrong. In the beginning there was the word, and the word was god, and the word went BANG. Maybe the jews are right and God created Adam and Eve, then when cain was cast out, maybe he found the people who evolved, and took one as a wife. The fact is we do not know it all, the scientific theories and religious theories are just that. Some are more supported than others, but they both point to a greater power that has guided all of this.
debate_power
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2015 2:11:07 PM
At 2/6/2015 8:56:20 PM, drpiek wrote:
I read all these attempts to juxtapose scientific findings and religion as if they are at odds. I think the scientific minded that think science could ever disprove god, and the religious who cringe at scientific findings as if they are against god are just silly.
Evolution is a fact and it does not disprove god, it just shows us a little more about how god does things. The same goes for the big bang. Religion tries to understand the why behind god and has made many mistakes in the understanding of the how. Science disregards the why question and focuses on how god does it.
It is the religious literalists who get all upset when science shows their books written thousands of years ago, got something wrong. In the beginning there was the word, and the word was god, and the word went BANG. Maybe the jews are right and God created Adam and Eve, then when cain was cast out, maybe he found the people who evolved, and took one as a wife. The fact is we do not know it all, the scientific theories and religious theories are just that. Some are more supported than others, but they both point to a greater power that has guided all of this.

Science= assumption based on evidence.

Currently, no religion has evidence for it.

Thus, science IS opposed to religion, because of the way science WORKS, currently. Science holds that evidence is the best basis for reason. Religion claims that faith is...
You can call me Mark if you like.
drpiek
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2015 7:50:24 PM
At 2/14/2015 2:11:07 PM, debate_power wrote:

Science= assumption based on evidence.

Currently, no religion has evidence for it.

Thus, science IS opposed to religion, because of the way science WORKS, currently. Science holds that evidence is the best basis for reason. Religion claims that faith is...

As I said in my second post, what I really meant was science is not against god. Religion on the other hand gets kooky. That said, if you are not a literallist, then religion is just metaphor, and not against science.
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2015 2:23:05 AM
Evolution is a fact and it does not disprove god, it just shows us a little more about how god does things.

Dr P, this position is called 'Non-overlapping magisteria', and was proposed by the agnostic biologist Stephen J Gould. The idea is that science is about the physical, while religion is about the spritual and metaphysical, so they don't have to compete with each other at all.

Unfortunately, it's a very idealistic position at odds with what religion actually does.

Religion seeks moral authority: i.e. control over what humans think is good and bad. Without that authority, religion is essentially philosophy, and has little power.

It claims this authority by seeking to make impressive pronouncements about history, biology, geology, geography, physics, medicine, psychology, economics and sociology because all of these things -- all of them -- inform the human condition and therefore help determine whether a moral code will alleviate suffering or exacerbate it. But of course, claims in these disciplines are scientifically testable and therefore can be rebutted by ever-improving knowledge.

Also, to the extent that religion claims miracles to impress the laiety, they are also physical manifestations occurring in the real world and are therefore also testable.

So having in part contributed to the creation of science, the largely ignorant religion is now trying to steal authority, credit and credence from its own genius child. Science for its part, isn't trying to steal power from its parent -- it seeks only empirically-verifiable truths.

It is religion's own pompous greed tripping religion up, and the only religions whose credibility is undamaged by scientific rebuttals are those making no material claims and claiming no especial moral or temporal authority -- essentially moral philosophies with a bit of low-key metaphysics thrown in.

And that's few, because the biggest faiths prosper from that very authority, and end up corrupted by their addiction to it.

I hope that may help.