Jump to topic:

Why do Jedi Knights still have their limbs

gingerbread-man
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2015 5:59:00 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Light Sabres are incredibly dangerous - during their training surely all Jedi Knights would have accidently lopped either their own, or someone elses body parts clean off. Perhaps this is the real reason there are not that many of them.
Not my gumdrop buttons!

Debates currently in voting period:

http://www.debate.org...
Such
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2015 6:31:13 PM
At 2/9/2015 5:59:00 PM, gingerbread-man wrote:
Light Sabres are incredibly dangerous - during their training surely all Jedi Knights would have accidently lopped either their own, or someone elses body parts clean off. Perhaps this is the real reason there are not that many of them.

Kenjutsu.
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2015 6:31:39 PM
They don't train with lethal weapons until they're skilled enough to use them. Much like the samurai of old, they train with blunted weapons, in this case being stun sticks or sabers without lethal focusing crystals.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
Sosoconfused
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2015 3:18:01 AM

Must be like the Spartans. Those that mess up just weren't good enough. Throw them out, they are not worth the trouble. I can appreciate that mentality. (I really wanted to throw a "this is Sparta" equivalent in there, but I'm not nerdy enough....gotta go watch some Star Wars now)
Otokage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2015 6:50:54 PM

I don't think they train with lightsabers mate... Probably just regular weapons or "softcore" light sabers that do not chop limbs.
clearcrystal76
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2015 2:58:54 PM

the sharpness and color of there blade come from there foucusing crystals.

padawans *young jedis* use a blunt crystal that will only smart.

if you studied starwars you would know this.
YamaVonKarma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2015 3:13:21 PM
I am by no means a Jedi, yet I have been training with a sword since around the age of five. When I was first starting out I used both a plastic and bamboo sword to train. It wasn't until just last year that I was deemed fit enough to inherit my real set of blades.
People who I've called as mafia DP1:
TUF, and YYW
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2015 3:53:30 PM
Lightsabers would be inherently unsafe to their users even if they did train with non-lethal ones. That much energy in that small of a package would be extremely unstable. You think you can just put a few double-a batteries in those things to get a beam hot enough to sever something like that? We can barely make cellphones that run out of energy before we'd like, and even cellphones are getting to the point where if we make them much more energetic people are going to start getting mysterious illnesses from them. The radiation from your phone is deemed to be safe because it is non-ionizing, but if you believe any of the bullsh1t coming out of the mouths of people trying to make that money off you every month, then you are just asking for it...
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
gingerbread-man
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2015 7:53:09 PM
At 2/11/2015 2:58:54 PM, clearcrystal76 wrote:

Looks like it is back to the Academy for me
Not my gumdrop buttons!

clearcrystal76
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2015 2:46:57 PM
At 2/11/2015 7:53:09 PM, gingerbread-man wrote:

lol.

get back to training padawan!
gingerbread-man
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2015 4:08:44 PM
At 2/12/2015 2:46:57 PM, clearcrystal76 wrote:
At 2/11/2015 7:53:09 PM, gingerbread-man wrote:

lol.

get back to training padawan!

Yes master
Not my gumdrop buttons!

R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2015 11:52:01 AM
Darth Vader doesn't have any limbs, Luke Skywalker is missing at least one. Jedis just get replacements when they lop them off. Merely a flesh-wound!
Beliefs in a nutshell:
Varrack
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2015 12:01:35 PM
At 2/14/2015 11:52:01 AM, R0b1Billion wrote:
Darth Vader doesn't have any limbs, Luke Skywalker is missing at least one. Jedis just get replacements when they lop them off. Merely a flesh-wound!

Luke Skywalker had his hand chopped off, not his limb. There was no blood, surprisingly. Then again it's a SciFi movie.
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2015 12:03:27 PM
At 2/14/2015 12:01:35 PM, Varrack wrote:

Luke Skywalker had his hand chopped off, not his limb. There was no blood, surprisingly. Then again it's a SciFi movie.

Close enough. And there wouldn't be blood, a weapon that hot would cauterize the wound.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2015 12:51:32 PM
At 2/14/2015 12:03:27 PM, R0b1Billion wrote:

Close enough. And there wouldn't be blood, a weapon that hot would cauterize the wound.

I bet mythbusters could prove the lightsaber moved too fast for effective heat transfer.
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2015 1:40:37 PM
At 2/14/2015 12:51:32 PM, Greyparrot wrote:

I bet mythbusters could prove the lightsaber moved too fast for effective heat transfer.

My friend, anything hot enough to slice through steel like it was the consistency of Jello is going to cauterize an artery pretty damned-fast. And in order for mythbusters to test it, they'd need the physics behind it, which doesn't exist. Light-sabers are a myth to start with, so there aren't any claims about them to be rebuked.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2015 1:48:21 PM
At 2/14/2015 1:40:37 PM, R0b1Billion wrote:

My friend, anything hot enough to slice through steel like it was the consistency of Jello is going to cauterize an artery pretty damned-fast. And in order for mythbusters to test it, they'd need the physics behind it, which doesn't exist. Light-sabers are a myth to start with, so there aren't any claims about them to be rebuked.

Anything that hot would give you a nasty sunburn just from proximity.

I'm sure mythbusters could improvise!
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2015 2:14:02 PM
At 2/14/2015 1:48:21 PM, Greyparrot wrote:

The amount of ways in which a lightsaber would be physically impossible are numerous.

- What could you possibly use to supply that much power, and supply it long enough to be useful?
- What powersource, if it existed, would be stable enough and not dangerous (e.g., radioactive) to it's user?
- How could that much heat not hurt the user as well as melt the casing of the device?
- What safety mechanism would be adequate to protect yourself from that thing accidentally activating? How could it have any margin for error if it malfunctioned?

Lightsabers, as well as phasers from Star Trek, are not even theoretically practical. Furthermore, I've never seen a hypothetical directed-energy weapon that was even remotely as useful as real modern weaponry (why would we develop such weapons in the first place?). I'd like to see Jedi Knights parrying machine-gun bullets. And I thought it was hilarious when Picard went into the holodeck to get a MACHINEGUN to fight the Borg because it was so much more useful than their phasers! One of the reasons ST and SW have lost momentum in the recent decades is because they are so obviously flawed.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
gingerbread-man
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2015 6:48:26 PM
At 2/14/2015 2:14:02 PM, R0b1Billion wrote:
At 2/14/2015 1:48:21 PM, Greyparrot wrote:

The amount of ways in which a lightsaber would be physically impossible are numerous.

- What could you possibly use to supply that much power, and supply it long enough to be useful?
- What powersource, if it existed, would be stable enough and not dangerous (e.g., radioactive) to it's user?
- How could that much heat not hurt the user as well as melt the casing of the device?
- What safety mechanism would be adequate to protect yourself from that thing accidentally activating? How could it have any margin for error if it malfunctioned?

Lightsabers, as well as phasers from Star Trek, are not even theoretically practical. Furthermore, I've never seen a hypothetical directed-energy weapon that was even remotely as useful as real modern weaponry (why would we develop such weapons in the first place?). I'd like to see Jedi Knights parrying machine-gun bullets. And I thought it was hilarious when Picard went into the holodeck to get a MACHINEGUN to fight the Borg because it was so much more useful than their phasers! One of the reasons ST and SW have lost momentum in the recent decades is because they are so obviously flawed.

HERESY!!!
Not my gumdrop buttons!