Jump to topic:

Scientists on DDO

UndeniableReality
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2015 3:52:13 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Out of curiosity, how many on DDO are actual scientists (either PhD scientists or currently in graduate school and have first-authored scientific papers in proper academic journals)? I thought it would be interesting to know who you are, so if you're comfortable with it, state your field and area of research as well.

I expect a lot of trolls will end up here with their bs, but we'll see who is knowledgeable enough about their subjects, the scientific process, and the peer-review process to be convincing.
chui
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2015 4:36:26 AM
At 2/10/2015 3:52:13 PM, UndeniableReality wrote:
Out of curiosity, how many on DDO are actual scientists (either PhD scientists or currently in graduate school and have first-authored scientific papers in proper academic journals)? I thought it would be interesting to know who you are, so if you're comfortable with it, state your field and area of research as well.

I expect a lot of trolls will end up here with their bs, but we'll see who is knowledgeable enough about their subjects, the scientific process, and the peer-review process to be convincing.

Seeing as no one has answered perhaps we need to lower the bar here. Are there any graduates?
UndeniableReality
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2015 8:46:25 AM
At 2/12/2015 4:36:26 AM, chui wrote:

Seeing as no one has answered perhaps we need to lower the bar here. Are there any graduates?

I did include graduate students. Do you mean those who have graduated with a BSc?

I wonder whether people are shy or just uninterested =P
v3nesl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2015 9:33:45 AM
At 2/12/2015 8:46:25 AM, UndeniableReality wrote:

I did include graduate students. Do you mean those who have graduated with a BSc?

I've got either a BSc or Bof Engineering, I forget what it was called. I'm an engineer, which is like a scientist only we have to make our ideas work, instead of just getting them reviewed by our peers. :-)
This space for rent.
v3nesl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2015 9:34:56 AM

Most of your graduates have student loans to pay off, that's why they're not messing around on teh interwebz.
This space for rent.
UndeniableReality
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2015 12:17:23 PM
At 2/12/2015 9:34:56 AM, v3nesl wrote:

Most of your graduates have student loans to pay off, that's why they're not messing around on teh interwebz.

Heheh, try being an engineer in academia. You have to make your ideas work AND get them peer-reviewed.

A fair number of graduate students procrastinate on sites like this =P. Plus, graduate students in science, engineering, or math get paid. At least in most countries, I think.
chui
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2015 5:56:35 AM

I assumed you meant post-grads( masters and doctorates) since you mentioned authoring of papers.

I myself am merely a BSc in physics.
UndeniableReality
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2015 9:37:55 AM
At 2/13/2015 5:56:35 AM, chui wrote:

I assumed you meant post-grads( masters and doctorates) since you mentioned authoring of papers.

I myself am merely a BSc in physics.

I did mean post-grads, but welcome! You don't need to say "merely". Physics is a great subject to get your BSc in. Are you intending on post-grad at all?
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2015 3:36:08 AM
Out of curiosity, how many on DDO are actual scientists

UR, I hold a PhD in formal systems (essentially Artificial Intelligence meets computational logic.) I've conducted research in a wide range of ICT fields from automated reasoning to virtual reality, data mining and massively parallel computation. As part of that work I've presented papers internationally, run research programs, lectured and trained research students, and run a range of undergraduate informatics engineering courses in computer programming, system design, solution architecture and project management.

These days I consult to government on a range of informatics and software engineering problems, and run a small consultancy firm wherein I seek to grow better leaders and ICT professionals.
UndeniableReality
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2015 9:59:56 AM
At 2/22/2015 3:36:08 AM, RuvDraba wrote:
Out of curiosity, how many on DDO are actual scientists

UR, I hold a PhD in formal systems (essentially Artificial Intelligence meets computational logic.) I've conducted research in a wide range of ICT fields from automated reasoning to virtual reality, data mining and massively parallel computation. As part of that work I've presented papers internationally, run research programs, lectured and trained research students, and run a range of undergraduate informatics engineering courses in computer programming, system design, solution architecture and project management.

That sounds like a typical PhD experience. Our areas are not too dissimilar. I'm in the mid-late stages of my PhD in machine learning and brain-computer interfacing with a couple of publications in cognitive neuroscience and statistical genetics. If you're comfortable sharing some of you publications with me in a private message, that would be cool =)

These days I consult to government on a range of informatics and software engineering problems, and run a small consultancy firm wherein I seek to grow better leaders and ICT professionals.