Total Posts:23|Showing Posts:1-23
Jump to topic:

What is the Universe

Strikeeagle84015
Posts: 867
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2010 3:07:28 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
What do you consider the universe to be is it time and space? does the universe expand into space? are dimensions in universes or universes in dimensions?
: At 8/17/2010 7:17:56 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
: Hey dawg, i herd you like evangelical trolls so we put a bible thumper in yo bible thumper so you can troll while you troll!

Arguing with an atheist about God is very similar to arguing with a blind man about what the Sistine Chapel looks like
Marilyn Poe

Strikeeagle wrote
The only way I will stop believing in God is if he appeared before me and told me that he did not exist.
FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2010 3:12:40 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/9/2010 3:07:28 PM, Strikeeagle84015 wrote:
What do you consider the universe to be is it time and space? does the universe expand into space? are dimensions in universes or universes in dimensions?

I don't see the universe as multiple things. It is one thing with parts of it in different form. Even time(if we are to consider as something material) is made of the same thing as matter.
And it isn't expanding into space, it is space which is expanding. But that doesn't mean it has borders. The space is curved, so it lapses back into itself in a 4 dimensional way. The expansion is the curve becoming wider.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Strikeeagle84015
Posts: 867
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2010 3:15:04 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
So first you claim everything in the universe is simply different forms of matter. What is energy then

Secondly how can something be expanding into itself that is quite logically impossible
: At 8/17/2010 7:17:56 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
: Hey dawg, i herd you like evangelical trolls so we put a bible thumper in yo bible thumper so you can troll while you troll!

Arguing with an atheist about God is very similar to arguing with a blind man about what the Sistine Chapel looks like
Marilyn Poe

Strikeeagle wrote
The only way I will stop believing in God is if he appeared before me and told me that he did not exist.
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2010 3:17:33 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
The Universe is everything that exists.

I believe that the Multiverse is/encompasses everything that exists.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Strikeeagle84015
Posts: 867
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2010 3:18:54 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/9/2010 3:17:33 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
The Universe is everything that exists.

I believe that the Multiverse is/encompasses everything that exists.

What exists then

and if the universe is everything that exists how can something encompass it for it would be part of the everything
: At 8/17/2010 7:17:56 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
: Hey dawg, i herd you like evangelical trolls so we put a bible thumper in yo bible thumper so you can troll while you troll!

Arguing with an atheist about God is very similar to arguing with a blind man about what the Sistine Chapel looks like
Marilyn Poe

Strikeeagle wrote
The only way I will stop believing in God is if he appeared before me and told me that he did not exist.
FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2010 3:21:19 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/9/2010 3:15:04 PM, Strikeeagle84015 wrote:
So first you claim everything in the universe is simply different forms of matter. What is energy then

I didn't say everything is a form of matter, I said everything including matter is all ultimately made of the same thing.

Secondly how can something be expanding into itself that is quite logically impossible

I didn't say it was expanding into itself. It's very hard to understand but try to take into account that it is involving 4 dimensions.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2010 3:23:26 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/9/2010 3:18:54 PM, Strikeeagle84015 wrote:
At 7/9/2010 3:17:33 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
The Universe is everything that exists.

I believe that the Multiverse is/encompasses everything that exists.

What exists then

It doesn't matter. For me, the whole of existence is the Universe.

and if the universe is everything that exists how can something encompass it for it would be part of the everything

You asked what exists. I say the Multiverse = everything that exists.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Strikeeagle84015
Posts: 867
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2010 3:24:10 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/9/2010 3:21:19 PM, FREEDO wrote:
At 7/9/2010 3:15:04 PM, Strikeeagle84015 wrote:
So first you claim everything in the universe is simply different forms of matter. What is energy then

I didn't say everything is a form of matter, I said everything including matter is all ultimately made of the same thing.


And what would this one thing be?
Secondly how can something be expanding into itself that is quite logically impossible

I didn't say it was expanding into itself. It's very hard to understand but try to take into account that it is involving 4 dimensions.

If something is infinite it has no beginning and no end
If something is expanding that means it has an end which is constantly increasing

The universe cannot be infinite and expanding the two definitions are mutually exclusive
It is logically impossible
: At 8/17/2010 7:17:56 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
: Hey dawg, i herd you like evangelical trolls so we put a bible thumper in yo bible thumper so you can troll while you troll!

Arguing with an atheist about God is very similar to arguing with a blind man about what the Sistine Chapel looks like
Marilyn Poe

Strikeeagle wrote
The only way I will stop believing in God is if he appeared before me and told me that he did not exist.
Strikeeagle84015
Posts: 867
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2010 3:26:06 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/9/2010 3:23:26 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 7/9/2010 3:18:54 PM, Strikeeagle84015 wrote:
At 7/9/2010 3:17:33 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
The Universe is everything that exists.

I believe that the Multiverse is/encompasses everything that exists.

What exists then

It doesn't matter. For me, the whole of existence is the Universe.

and if the universe is everything that exists how can something encompass it for it would be part of the everything

You asked what exists. I say the Multiverse = everything that exists.

You said the universe is everything that exists if the mutliverse is everything that exists then it can encompass the universe in which case the universe is not everything that exists
: At 8/17/2010 7:17:56 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
: Hey dawg, i herd you like evangelical trolls so we put a bible thumper in yo bible thumper so you can troll while you troll!

Arguing with an atheist about God is very similar to arguing with a blind man about what the Sistine Chapel looks like
Marilyn Poe

Strikeeagle wrote
The only way I will stop believing in God is if he appeared before me and told me that he did not exist.
FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2010 3:30:13 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/9/2010 3:24:10 PM, Strikeeagle84015 wrote:
At 7/9/2010 3:21:19 PM, FREEDO wrote:
At 7/9/2010 3:15:04 PM, Strikeeagle84015 wrote:
So first you claim everything in the universe is simply different forms of matter. What is energy then

I didn't say everything is a form of matter, I said everything including matter is all ultimately made of the same thing.


And what would this one thing be?

The universe.
Secondly how can something be expanding into itself that is quite logically impossible

I didn't say it was expanding into itself. It's very hard to understand but try to take into account that it is involving 4 dimensions.

If something is infinite it has no beginning and no end
If something is expanding that means it has an end which is constantly increasing

The universe cannot be infinite and expanding the two definitions are mutually exclusive
It is logically impossible

You idiot, I'm not saying it's infinite in size.

Just as a 3 dimensional sphere infinitely runs into no edges across it's surface, so is there no edges on the universe in a 4 dimensional sense.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Strikeeagle84015
Posts: 867
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2010 3:35:13 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/9/2010 3:30:13 PM, FREEDO wrote:
At 7/9/2010 3:24:10 PM, Strikeeagle84015 wrote:
At 7/9/2010 3:21:19 PM, FREEDO wrote:
At 7/9/2010 3:15:04 PM, Strikeeagle84015 wrote:
So first you claim everything in the universe is simply different forms of matter. What is energy then

I didn't say everything is a form of matter, I said everything including matter is all ultimately made of the same thing.


And what would this one thing be?

The universe.
So the universe is everything which composes all things made out of the universe. That is pretty circular reasoning
Secondly how can something be expanding into itself that is quite logically impossible

I didn't say it was expanding into itself. It's very hard to understand but try to take into account that it is involving 4 dimensions.

If something is infinite it has no beginning and no end
If something is expanding that means it has an end which is constantly increasing

The universe cannot be infinite and expanding the two definitions are mutually exclusive
It is logically impossible

You idiot, I'm not saying it's infinite in size.

Just as a 3 dimensional sphere infinitely runs into no edges across it's surface, so is there no edges on the universe in a 4 dimensional sense.
What proof do you have of this?
And are the laws of reality different in the 4th dimension?
And do things that exist in the 3rd dimension also exist in the fourth?
: At 8/17/2010 7:17:56 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
: Hey dawg, i herd you like evangelical trolls so we put a bible thumper in yo bible thumper so you can troll while you troll!

Arguing with an atheist about God is very similar to arguing with a blind man about what the Sistine Chapel looks like
Marilyn Poe

Strikeeagle wrote
The only way I will stop believing in God is if he appeared before me and told me that he did not exist.
FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2010 3:43:50 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/9/2010 3:35:13 PM, Strikeeagle84015 wrote:
At 7/9/2010 3:30:13 PM, FREEDO wrote:
At 7/9/2010 3:24:10 PM, Strikeeagle84015 wrote:
At 7/9/2010 3:21:19 PM, FREEDO wrote:
At 7/9/2010 3:15:04 PM, Strikeeagle84015 wrote:
So first you claim everything in the universe is simply different forms of matter. What is energy then

I didn't say everything is a form of matter, I said everything including matter is all ultimately made of the same thing.


And what would this one thing be?

The universe.
So the universe is everything which composes all things made out of the universe. That is pretty circular reasoning

How the hell is the statement that the universe is everything and that everything in the universe apart of universe circular reasoning? Extend that logic to any two statements which are alike and noncontradictory become circular reasoning. You're just looking for anything to grab onto.
Secondly how can something be expanding into itself that is quite logically impossible

I didn't say it was expanding into itself. It's very hard to understand but try to take into account that it is involving 4 dimensions.

If something is infinite it has no beginning and no end
If something is expanding that means it has an end which is constantly increasing

The universe cannot be infinite and expanding the two definitions are mutually exclusive
It is logically impossible

You idiot, I'm not saying it's infinite in size.

Just as a 3 dimensional sphere infinitely runs into no edges across it's surface, so is there no edges on the universe in a 4 dimensional sense.
What proof do you have of this?

That sir, is the correct question. My true opinion on the whole matter is "I don't now whether the universe has borders or not". I was just stating what is most likely based on what the cosmologist and quantum physicists are saying. I was just trying to explain how it is possible and you weren't understanding it.
And are the laws of reality different in the 4th dimension?

They aren't. The laws of physics may or may not be.
And do things that exist in the 3rd dimension also exist in the fourth?

Yes. Except in logical contradictions such as a 3 dimensional shape.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2010 3:47:36 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Strike, watch this. Carl Sagan does a beautiful job of explaining the 4th dimension.

This may or may not be the correct video though. I can't tell because my audio isn't working.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Strikeeagle84015
Posts: 867
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2010 3:49:23 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/9/2010 3:43:50 PM, FREEDO wrote:
At 7/9/2010 3:35:13 PM, Strikeeagle84015 wrote:
At 7/9/2010 3:30:13 PM, FREEDO wrote:
At 7/9/2010 3:24:10 PM, Strikeeagle84015 wrote:
At 7/9/2010 3:21:19 PM, FREEDO wrote:
At 7/9/2010 3:15:04 PM, Strikeeagle84015 wrote:
So first you claim everything in the universe is simply different forms of matter. What is energy then

I didn't say everything is a form of matter, I said everything including matter is all ultimately made of the same thing.


And what would this one thing be?

The universe.
So the universe is everything which composes all things made out of the universe. That is pretty circular reasoning

How the hell is the statement that the universe is everything and that everything in the universe apart of universe circular reasoning? Extend that logic to any two statements which are alike and noncontradictory become circular reasoning. You're just looking for anything to grab onto.

You are saying
Universe = Everything that exists
Everything that exists is made of the same thing
The Same thing = Universe
The universe is made up of and encompasses itself?
Secondly how can something be expanding into itself that is quite logically impossible

I didn't say it was expanding into itself. It's very hard to understand but try to take into account that it is involving 4 dimensions.

If something is infinite it has no beginning and no end
If something is expanding that means it has an end which is constantly increasing

The universe cannot be infinite and expanding the two definitions are mutually exclusive
It is logically impossible

You idiot, I'm not saying it's infinite in size.
When you insult me is when I know that you are admiting defeat

Just as a 3 dimensional sphere infinitely runs into no edges across it's surface, so is there no edges on the universe in a 4 dimensional sense.
What proof do you have of this?

That sir, is the correct question. My true opinion on the whole matter is "I don't now whether the universe has borders or not". I was just stating what is most likely based on what the cosmologist and quantum physicists are saying. I was just trying to explain how it is possible and you weren't understanding it.
And are the laws of reality different in the 4th dimension?

They aren't. The laws of physics may or may not be.
What are the laws of reality then?
And do things that exist in the 3rd dimension also exist in the fourth?

Yes. Except in logical contradictions such as a 3 dimensional shape.
What is logically contradictory about a 3 dimensional shape? A 3 dimensional polygon can't exist but a 3 dimensional shape can.

Then how do we move through the 4th dimension since we exist in it
: At 8/17/2010 7:17:56 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
: Hey dawg, i herd you like evangelical trolls so we put a bible thumper in yo bible thumper so you can troll while you troll!

Arguing with an atheist about God is very similar to arguing with a blind man about what the Sistine Chapel looks like
Marilyn Poe

Strikeeagle wrote
The only way I will stop believing in God is if he appeared before me and told me that he did not exist.
Strikeeagle84015
Posts: 867
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2010 3:52:07 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/9/2010 3:47:36 PM, FREEDO wrote:
Strike, watch this. Carl Sagan does a beautiful job of explaining the 4th dimension.

This may or may not be the correct video though. I can't tell because my audio isn't working.



It isn't your audio that is busted it is Youtube
: At 8/17/2010 7:17:56 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
: Hey dawg, i herd you like evangelical trolls so we put a bible thumper in yo bible thumper so you can troll while you troll!

Arguing with an atheist about God is very similar to arguing with a blind man about what the Sistine Chapel looks like
Marilyn Poe

Strikeeagle wrote
The only way I will stop believing in God is if he appeared before me and told me that he did not exist.
FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2010 3:57:33 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/9/2010 3:52:07 PM, Strikeeagle84015 wrote:
At 7/9/2010 3:47:36 PM, FREEDO wrote:
Strike, watch this. Carl Sagan does a beautiful job of explaining the 4th dimension.

This may or may not be the correct video though. I can't tell because my audio isn't working.



It isn't your audio that is busted it is Youtube

Well their both busted.

Unless it may just be that video. Look up 4th dimension explained and click on one with Carl Sagan in it. There's one that adds something weird in it about aliens though that I don't agree with so don't pay attention to that.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Strikeeagle84015
Posts: 867
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2010 3:59:01 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/9/2010 3:57:33 PM, FREEDO wrote:
At 7/9/2010 3:52:07 PM, Strikeeagle84015 wrote:
At 7/9/2010 3:47:36 PM, FREEDO wrote:
Strike, watch this. Carl Sagan does a beautiful job of explaining the 4th dimension.

This may or may not be the correct video though. I can't tell because my audio isn't working.



It isn't your audio that is busted it is Youtube

Well their both busted.

Unless it may just be that video. Look up 4th dimension explained and click on one with Carl Sagan in it. There's one that adds something weird in it about aliens though that I don't agree with so don't pay attention to that.

Well no youtube videos work with sound right now (at least for me) but what proof does Carl have of this 4th dimension
: At 8/17/2010 7:17:56 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
: Hey dawg, i herd you like evangelical trolls so we put a bible thumper in yo bible thumper so you can troll while you troll!

Arguing with an atheist about God is very similar to arguing with a blind man about what the Sistine Chapel looks like
Marilyn Poe

Strikeeagle wrote
The only way I will stop believing in God is if he appeared before me and told me that he did not exist.
FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2010 4:04:46 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Not the physical proof, he just explains how to understand it very well.

A square has 2 dimensions.

A cube is the 3 dimensional version of a square.

A tesseract is a 4 dimensional version of a square.

He helps being able to get your head around what that is.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Strikeeagle84015
Posts: 867
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2010 4:06:24 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/9/2010 4:04:46 PM, FREEDO wrote:
Not the physical proof, he just explains how to understand it very well.

A square has 2 dimensions.

A cube is the 3 dimensional version of a square.

A tesseract is a 4 dimensional version of a square.

He helps being able to get your head around what that is.

So wait you are believing in something that has no proof behind it? Don't you vehemently wage war against Christians because they do that?
: At 8/17/2010 7:17:56 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
: Hey dawg, i herd you like evangelical trolls so we put a bible thumper in yo bible thumper so you can troll while you troll!

Arguing with an atheist about God is very similar to arguing with a blind man about what the Sistine Chapel looks like
Marilyn Poe

Strikeeagle wrote
The only way I will stop believing in God is if he appeared before me and told me that he did not exist.
FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2010 4:11:36 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/9/2010 4:06:24 PM, Strikeeagle84015 wrote:
At 7/9/2010 4:04:46 PM, FREEDO wrote:
Not the physical proof, he just explains how to understand it very well.

A square has 2 dimensions.

A cube is the 3 dimensional version of a square.

A tesseract is a 4 dimensional version of a square.

He helps being able to get your head around what that is.

So wait you are believing in something that has no proof behind it? Don't you vehemently wage war against Christians because they do that?

1. There is proof behind it. That's why it's an accepted occurrence by the physics community.

2. I don't believe in it. I accept it for what it is; highly probable. My philosophy includes only accepting two types of things as true. Self-evidences(I exist) and axioms(a thing is itself).

3. You're a moron.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Strikeeagle84015
Posts: 867
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2010 4:15:25 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/9/2010 4:11:36 PM, FREEDO wrote:
At 7/9/2010 4:06:24 PM, Strikeeagle84015 wrote:
At 7/9/2010 4:04:46 PM, FREEDO wrote:
Not the physical proof, he just explains how to understand it very well.

A square has 2 dimensions.

A cube is the 3 dimensional version of a square.

A tesseract is a 4 dimensional version of a square.

He helps being able to get your head around what that is.

So wait you are believing in something that has no proof behind it? Don't you vehemently wage war against Christians because they do that?

1. There is proof behind it. That's why it's an accepted occurrence by the physics community.

Really what is this proof? Earlier you said you didn't have proof
2. I don't believe in it. I accept it for what it is; highly probable. My philosophy includes only accepting two types of things as true. Self-evidences(I exist) and axioms(a thing is itself).

But I thought it was an accepted fact by the physics community are you disagreeing with scientists?
3. You're a moron.

Back with the insults, thanks for reassuring me that I am right I was getting a little worried there for a minute.

You still haven't told me what the laws of reality are
: At 8/17/2010 7:17:56 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
: Hey dawg, i herd you like evangelical trolls so we put a bible thumper in yo bible thumper so you can troll while you troll!

Arguing with an atheist about God is very similar to arguing with a blind man about what the Sistine Chapel looks like
Marilyn Poe

Strikeeagle wrote
The only way I will stop believing in God is if he appeared before me and told me that he did not exist.
tvellalott
Posts: 10,864
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2010 5:39:31 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
I think of it this way. The Universe is not infinite, but it is expanding. It could be sphere shaped or it could be cube shaped. It loops on itself. If you travel far enough, you will come back from the other direction. It would take so long to travel that far that by the time you came back from the other direction, billions of years would have passed and everything would be different, so in that way it is endless.

This is how I explain it to my 9 year old sister.

If something as improbable as life forming from the types of chemicals that existed on Earth 4 billions years and growing and changing until eventually I came to be lying here tapping away on a Laptop, made of technology that would have been considered science fiction 100 years ago, which I strongly think is the case, out there in Endless, timeless space, anything is possible.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
lastrequest691
Posts: 339
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2010 1:21:56 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
Our Universe is just a layer that forms a bigger universe.

Remember there are lots of layers that form the Mother Universe and our Universe is just one layer out of trillions of other universes.

What makes us so special when there are trillions of other universes existing at the same time but in another dimension.

Don't call it Universe but Multiverse.
"That song was absolutely waste of talent; you sounded like a wounded animal and who told you to play the guitar by yourself." Simon Cowell