Jump to topic:

Is Evolution a Religion?

ChristianPunk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2015 3:13:19 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I was watching one of my religious videos and apparently, I now am concerned about the merits and credentials of a philosophy professor by the name of Michael Ruse.

"Evolution is promoted by its practitioners as more than mere science. Evolution is promulgated as an ideology, a secular religion"a full-fledged alternative to Christianity, with meaning and morality. I am an ardent evolutionist and an ex-Christian, but I must admit that in this one complaint"and Mr [sic] Gish is but one of many to make it"the literalists are absolutely right. Evolution is a religion. This was true of evolution in the beginning, and it is true of evolution still today."

Does anybody know anything about Michael Ruse or has read any of his works?
Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2015 3:22:22 PM
At 2/22/2015 3:13:19 PM, ChristianPunk wrote:
I was watching one of my religious videos and apparently, I now am concerned about the merits and credentials of a philosophy professor by the name of Michael Ruse.

"Evolution is promoted by its practitioners as more than mere science. Evolution is promulgated as an ideology, a secular religion"a full-fledged alternative to Christianity, with meaning and morality. I am an ardent evolutionist and an ex-Christian, but I must admit that in this one complaint"and Mr [sic] Gish is but one of many to make it"the literalists are absolutely right. Evolution is a religion. This was true of evolution in the beginning, and it is true of evolution still today."

Yes. I go to congregations every Sunday to affirm my faith in evolutiom.
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2015 9:08:54 PM
Evolution isn't a religion, and it's no longer even a theory, but a verifiable observation: life evolves in adaptation to circumstance.

Unlike some physics and chemistry experiments, this is hard one to do quickly at home, but it can be done. However, you need a fast-breeding species, two similar but sufficiently different environments, and enough biological knowledge to understand what you're seeing.

Such an experiment was conducted by some biologists in 1971, moving some lizard-pairs from one island where they were abundant, to different island, where they didn't previously exist. What they discovered were changes over decades, as reported in Science Daily in 2008:

Lizards Undergo Rapid Evolution After Introduction To A New Home

In 1971, biologists moved five adult pairs of Italian wall lizards from their home island of Pod Kopiste, in the South Adriatic Sea, to the neighboring island of Pod Mrcaru. Now researchers have shown that introducing these small, green-backed lizards, Podarcis sicula, to a new environment caused them to undergo rapid and large-scale evolutionary changes

(http://www.sciencedaily.com...)

Similar adaptations have been seen in populations of bacilli, in response to penicillin and other antibiotics (if you've ever read about hospital 'superbugs' in the news, they're a predictable product of evolution.) Other examples include pale moths in Great Britain growing darker in response to soot appearing on trees. But there are many, many examples now -- including many 'natural experiments' where it's observable that species introduced by trade and colonisation have changed in response to environment.

In a sense, every farmer understands evolution. Most of the food we eat is actually modified by selective breeding: from the middle ages onwards we've had bigger and sweeter apples and carrots than found in nature, huge broccoli-flowers and chickens of a size never found in nature simply by selective breeding. So in evolution, it's the same effect, but influenced by evironmental pressures rather than human preference.

Evolution is harder to see than gravity, but no less universal, and although it's popularly called a theory, it's actually much more like a confirmed law. All it needs is life, reproduction and environmental pressure. We can now even 'evolve' computer programs using exactly the same principles.

That's not to say that there isn't also a mythological story being developed based on evolution. I think there is. The phrase 'survival of the fittest' and the idea of progress toward some biological ideal isn't science, but mythology and misconception. Species do adapt to environments over time, but nature is also cruel and wipes them out simply because no species can adapt fast enough. Environments change, and nature doesn't necessarily preserve even its best-adapted species.

I hope that may help.
ChristianPunk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2015 9:22:14 PM
At 2/22/2015 7:15:54 PM, genesis01 wrote:
Evolution isn't a religion, it's a FALSE explanation for human origins.

It's a scientific theory for how things adapt and speciate over time.
GamrDeb8rBbrH8r
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2015 9:30:15 PM

Evolution has nothing to do with human origin.
"There's no diversity because we're burning in the melting pot."

-Immortal Technique

Rap battle VS Truth_Seeker: http://www.debate.org...
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2015 9:31:20 PM

They are a tad dogmatic about it, but "religion" is a bit of a stretch.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2015 10:11:08 PM

Evolution is a theory (one that meets the criteria of scientific) about biology. That's it.

It makes no moral claims nor supernatural claims.
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
ryndanangnysen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2015 10:47:50 AM
Well, the WHOLE of 'science' is a religion!

When the power of the religions started to fade, a new religion was born....science!

"science' has nothing to do with truthseeking and has anything to do with coltrol of the masses.

all provable so (if one has an open mind)

Well, if the WHOLE of science is a religion. then evolution is also a religion.

evolution by itself is one big hoax.
UndeniableReality
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2015 11:56:29 AM
At 3/6/2015 10:47:50 AM, ryndanangnysen wrote:

When the power of the religions started to fade, a new religion was born....science!

"science' has nothing to do with truthseeking and has anything to do with coltrol of the masses.

Curious to see your proof. But I do admit that my expectation, based on others who have made similar claims, is that this 'proof' will ultimately just reveal ignorance and a lack of education. I do hope you show otherwise.
ryndanangnysen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2015 1:30:42 PM
At 3/6/2015 11:56:29 AM, UndeniableReality wrote:

Curious to see your proof. But I do admit that my expectation, based on others who have made similar claims, is that this 'proof' will ultimately just reveal ignorance and a lack of education. I do hope you show otherwise.

Yeah, you really sound like an open person to me!

Of course some Ad Hominems: lack of education. ignorance.

Interesting start, makes me realy want to discuss wih you!

Gee, I can tel you my education etc but I won't because it is very irrelevant

After studying this for years, I was also convinced it was not true, I am now convinced that it is even worde then you might think.

The WHOLE of the education system, well it is more about indoctrination, is to dumb every student down.
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2015 1:43:41 PM

Hi, ryndanangnysen.

You can find my 'Test Your Science Knowledge' thread at: http://www.debate.org...

Yours are just the kinds of views I'd like to poll.

It has ten 'true or false' questions, and will take only moments to complete. Would you be willing to complete it please? it requires no specific knowledge of any scientific theory.
ryndanangnysen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2015 12:00:53 AM
At 3/6/2015 1:43:41 PM, RuvDraba wrote:

Hi, ryndanangnysen.

You can find my 'Test Your Science Knowledge' thread at: http://www.debate.org...

Yours are just the kinds of views I'd like to poll.

It has ten 'true or false' questions, and will take only moments to complete. Would you be willing to complete it please? it requires no specific knowledge of any scientific theory.

why?

Do you think 'science' is NOT a religion?
UndeniableReality
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2015 9:24:59 AM
At 3/6/2015 1:30:42 PM, ryndanangnysen wrote:

I'm open to it, but I just wanted to warn that you I've hear this a lot from people who are just spouting nonsense, so I hope you have the self-awareness to know that you're not one of those people before offering your explanation.

I called you neither of those things.

Maybe you should have read post more carefully.

I didn't ask about your education.

After studying this for years, I was also convinced it was not true, I am now convinced that it is even worde then you might think.

The WHOLE of the education system, well it is more about indoctrination, is to dumb every student down.

What I was hoping for was your explanation. I was just warning you about my past experience with people who make similar claims in the hopes that you would acknowledge that a lot of ignorant people make this claim but that you were different.
ryndanangnysen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2015 10:34:23 AM
At 3/7/2015 9:24:59 AM, UndeniableReality wrote:

I'm open to it, but I just wanted to warn that you I've hear this a lot from people who are just spouting nonsense, so I hope you have the self-awareness to know that you're not one of those people before offering your explanation.

What I was hoping for was your explanation. I was just warning you about my past experience with people who make similar claims in the hopes that you would acknowledge that a lot of ignorant people make this claim but that you were different.

oh ok ok
UndeniableReality
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2015 8:13:35 PM
At 3/7/2015 10:34:23 AM, ryndanangnysen wrote:
At 3/7/2015 9:24:59 AM, UndeniableReality wrote:

oh ok ok

So do you have an explanation?
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2015 8:37:03 PM
At 3/7/2015 12:00:53 AM, ryndanangnysen wrote:
why?

Your answers have nothing to do with what I think, ryndanangnysen . The questions are a chance for you to explain what you know about key issues relating to how scientific knowledge forms, is tested, validated and accepted, and eventually superseded.

What's interesting is that so far, after several days and many other answers, all the most strident critics of science on DDO have refused to answer the questions.
ryndanangnysen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2015 12:41:21 AM
At 3/7/2015 8:37:03 PM, RuvDraba wrote:
At 3/7/2015 12:00:53 AM, ryndanangnysen wrote:
why?

Your answers have nothing to do with what I think, ryndanangnysen . The questions are a chance for you to explain what you know about key issues relating to how scientific knowledge forms, is tested, validated and accepted, and eventually superseded.

What's interesting is that so far, after several days and many other answers, all the most strident critics of science on DDO have refused to answer the questions.

well, it is,,, pearls swines you know the drill...

why bother?
NoMagic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/9/2015 7:13:54 PM
You've already made a mistake in that short statement. Evolution is a biological explanation for the diversity of life. Evolution isn't solely regulated to humans alone.
Now lets have some fun.
What is the correct explanation for human origins?
tkubok
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2015 11:44:05 AM

Yeah, right, thats why nothing that came out of science, works. Our computers dont work. Our cars dont work. You are wearing no clothes. You are eating no foods. Its all a lie. We are being tricked into believing that science works, when infact, all we are doing is sitting infront of a blank screen, because computers dont actually work, its all a lie. We never actually did cure Smallpox. people who go in for surgery, never survive.
Graincruncher
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2015 12:20:52 PM
I'm yet to come across someone called Rand who isn't pathologically stupid. I'm forming a tentative hypothesis as to why.
ryndanangnysen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2015 1:22:55 PM
Yeah, right, thats why nothing that came out of science, works. Our computers dont work. Our cars dont work. You are wearing no clothes. You are eating no foods. Its all a lie. We are being tricked into believing that science works, when infact, all we are doing is sitting infront of a blank screen, because computers dont actually work, its all a lie. We never actually did cure Smallpox. people who go in for surgery, never survive.

first of all, I mean 'modern science' All the things you mention are NOT beause of 'modern science' at all!. You rlogic is also hugely flawed.
I never wrote that cars computers etc don't work.
I am ONLY saying that it is not because of 'modern physics".

First of all, a lot has to do with technology, and technolgy is not per se applied science.
It is a lot of tickering and trying and testing. It almost has nothing to do with 'modern science" An dthe other thing is, the things you mention were made years, sometimes hundred years, ago, before there was any 'modern science' and yes that includes the computer, Of course it is a bit plished, but the concept is the same,.
there is NOTHING that cam out of 'modern science'

But ahh well this thread is about evolution a religion and yes, of course it is.
start studying freemasonry and you will see that evolution is their disguised religion.
tkubok
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2015 3:04:13 PM
At 3/10/2015 1:22:55 PM, ryndanangnysen wrote:
first of all, I mean 'modern science' All the things you mention are NOT beause of 'modern science' at all!. You rlogic is also hugely flawed.
I never wrote that cars computers etc don't work.
I am ONLY saying that it is not because of 'modern physics".

Modern physics is only a small aspect of modern science. Infact, its only one field. There are other fields in science, such as Biology, Chemistry, etc.

First of all, a lot has to do with technology, and technolgy is not per se applied science.
It is a lot of tickering and trying and testing. It almost has nothing to do with 'modern science" An dthe other thing is, the things you mention were made years, sometimes hundred years, ago, before there was any 'modern science' and yes that includes the computer, Of course it is a bit plished, but the concept is the same,.

Yes, it does have to do with modern science. Aspects like Engineering are built upon science. Chemical engineering, for example, relies heavily on science.

But ahh well this thread is about evolution a religion and yes, of course it is.
start studying freemasonry and you will see that evolution is their disguised religion.

Ah, yes, freemasonry. Im guessing the Jewish Zionist negros are the head of the freemasons? And the true culprits of the 9/11 tragedy?

You are starting to sound like a conspiracy theorist.
ryndanangnysen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2015 3:54:59 PM

Modern physics is only a small aspect of modern science. Infact, its only one field. There are other fields in science, such as Biology, Chemistry, etc.

Yes, I agree. What I wrote was about modern physics. You are correct.

Yes, it does have to do with modern science. Aspects like Engineering are built upon science. Chemical engineering, for example, relies heavily on science.

I really don't think so. But I might be wrong. I long have believed what you have written here. Now I am not so sure anymore.

Ah, yes, freemasonry. Im guessing the Jewish Zionist negros are the head of the freemasons? And the true culprits of the 9/11 tragedy?

This is twisting my words. I never wrote what you wrote here,
BUT freemasonry is heavenly involved into spreading lies in our universities
like evolution, relativity, black holes, biggie bangies, quantum theories and so on and so forth. Put simply , if these things were true they wouldn't be taught at universities.
Yep, Universities are here to spread all that disinformation.

And you sound like an accidental theorist. ;)
tkubok
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2015 8:14:13 PM
At 3/10/2015 3:54:59 PM, ryndanangnysen wrote:

Yes, I agree. What I wrote was about modern physics. You are correct.

Evolution isnt physics. And you said "Modern science". Twice.

I really don't think so. But I might be wrong. I long have believed what you have written here. Now I am not so sure anymore.

Youre free to look it up yourself.

This is twisting my words. I never wrote what you wrote here,
BUT freemasonry is heavenly involved into spreading lies in our universities
like evolution, relativity, black holes, biggie bangies, quantum theories and so on and so forth. Put simply , if these things were true they wouldn't be taught at universities.
Yep, Universities are here to spread all that disinformation.

Okay. The man across the street who wears his underwear outside his pants, told me the same thing.

And you sound like an accidental theorist. ;)

What is an accidental theorist?
Alex_Stowe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2015 3:02:31 PM
Evolutionist are a thing. If you believe anything to an extreme it can form into a religion. Ever heard of Pastafarians, it's a real thing where they worship the flying spaghetti monster and the religion requires the believers to wear colanders (did I spell that right?).
Alex_Stowe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2015 3:05:19 PM

I noticed you are a Christian from your username. I am also a Christian, let's set that straight. But did you ever think about how God could have allowed animals to develop and be created through evolution.

Stop rushing God, he can take his time if he wants to.
debate_power
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2015 3:43:01 PM

"Evolution is promoted by its practitioners as more than mere science. Evolution is promulgated as an ideology, a secular religion"a full-fledged alternative to Christianity, with meaning and morality. I am an ardent evolutionist and an ex-Christian, but I must admit that in this one complaint"and Mr [sic] Gish is but one of many to make it"the literalists are absolutely right.

Evolution is no such thing.

"...a full-fledged alternative to Christianity, with meaning and morality"

Aspects of evolution were "formulated" by nature. Aspects of morality were formulated by humans. Evolution is not necessarily linked to any kind of morality. Evolution is not human-centric like morality is. Evolution is scientific fact and nothing more.

Evolution is not a religion. For something to be religion, it has to be a belief in a superhuman controlling power. Look up the definition of "religion" and laugh at Michael Ruse in the face. I would.

"Secular religion" is an oxymoron.
You can call me Mark if you like.
UndeniableReality
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2015 4:08:59 PM
At 3/11/2015 3:02:31 PM, Alex_Stowe wrote:
Evolutionist are a thing. If you believe anything to an extreme it can form into a religion. Ever heard of Pastafarians, it's a real thing where they worship the flying spaghetti monster and the religion requires the believers to wear colanders (did I spell that right?).

This makes me think you're a troll. Pastafarians are weird, but surely everyone knows they're not a real religion. The whole point is to make fun of religion.