Want to see some scary numbers?

Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2010 11:46:07 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
http://www.visioncritical.com...

According to this Angus Reid poll, 47% of Americans believe in creationism, as opposed to 24% of Canadians and 16% of Britons.

Only 35% of Americans profess to "believe" in evolution, compared to 61% of Canadians and 68% of Britons.

Those are some sad, sad results. Why is it evolution has such a hard time reaching out to the population in the US?
Vi_Veri
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2010 11:48:34 AM
Because we have a lot of religious zealots and Fox News.
I could give a f about no haters as long as my ishes love me.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2010 11:53:11 AM
If you look at the regional results, only the Northeast has a plurality of evolution adherents, while the South and etc. all have either majorities or pluralities with evolution never breaching 40%.

Yet in Canada's most conservative regions, Alberta and SK/MN, evolution is still the majority reason for both regions.

I don't get it - what about the US is so damn religious?
Vi_Veri
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2010 12:03:46 PM
At 7/15/2010 11:53:11 AM, Volkov wrote:
If you look at the regional results, only the Northeast has a plurality of evolution adherents, while the South and etc. all have either majorities or pluralities with evolution never breaching 40%.

Yet in Canada's most conservative regions, Alberta and SK/MN, evolution is still the majority reason for both regions.

Because our first settlers came here for religious reasons. We've always been a religious country. We weren't FOUNDED on religion, but because there were so many religious people who came here to escape religious persecution, it stuck.
Vi_Veri
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2010 12:04:08 PM
My parents came here because of religious persecution.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2010 12:07:04 PM
At 7/15/2010 12:03:46 PM, Vi_Veri wrote:
Because our first settlers came here for religious reasons. We've always been a religious country. We weren't FOUNDED on religion, but because there were so many religious people who came here to escape religious persecution, it stuck.

Makes sense, I 'spose. Just seems odd to me that one of the most scientifically advanced countries in the world, with people who deal with evolutionary thought on a daily basis, is so highly vulnerable to pseudo-scientific creation stories.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2010 12:27:55 PM
At 7/15/2010 11:46:07 AM, Volkov wrote:

According to this Angus Reid poll, 47% of Americans believe in creationism, as opposed to 24% of Canadians and 16% of Britons.

Only 35% of Americans profess to "believe" in evolution, compared to 61% of Canadians and 68% of Britons.

Those are some sad, sad results. Why is it evolution has such a hard time reaching out to the population in the US?:

While I'm sure the numbers are high, I'm often leery of "polls." Call that an argument of incredulity, if you will, but isn't it equally fallacious to assume an appeal to authority?
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
Yvette
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2010 2:14:28 PM
At 7/15/2010 12:03:46 PM, Vi_Veri wrote:

Not entirely true. That's just the myth.

Some settlers came for religious reasons, others came because they were incredibly desperate for land, ie to have a livelihood. "Freedom of religion" as the reason we came here is more of a nationalist myth than anything, really. The Puritans wanted freedom for their beliefs, certainly, but more accurately they wanted to forge a Puritan community.

I'd be interested to know where our fundamentalism comes from as well. We're often comparable to fundamentalist Islamic countries instead of developed Christian countries. I think part of it may be because we were cut off from the Catholic Church and had so many offshoots of Christianity free to be in charge here, which meant we had less tradition and rules--which is what you need to have less of for blazing faith born-again movements like we've had many times throughout our country's history.
In the middle of moving to Washington. 8D

"If God does not exist, then chocolate causing cancer is only true for the society that has evidence for that." --GodSands
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2010 3:05:36 PM

Lol, the South. Secede!
President of DDO
Puck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2010 3:22:31 PM

Those are some sad, sad results. Why is it evolution has such a hard time reaching out to the population in the US?

1. Online poll.
2. By the pollsters website users.

Not saying it's inaccurate, just that there's a fairly large selection bias happening. :P
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2010 3:27:43 PM
At 7/15/2010 3:22:31 PM, Puck wrote:
1. Online poll.

Not saying it's inaccurate, just that there's a fairly large selection bias happening. :P

While I won't vouch for Angus Reid's accuracy (they do a lot of political polling that makes me squirm), it isn't the run-of-the-mill website poll - internet polling like what AR done is fairly checked over, sampled, weighted, and seen as reliable. It's an actual polling methodology, instead of "click button to vote!"
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2010 4:27:31 PM
At 7/15/2010 3:27:43 PM, Volkov wrote:
At 7/15/2010 3:22:31 PM, Puck wrote:
1. Online poll.

While I won't vouch for Angus Reid's accuracy (they do a lot of political polling that makes me squirm), it isn't the run-of-the-mill website poll - internet polling like what AR done is fairly checked over, sampled, weighted, and seen as reliable. It's an actual polling methodology, instead of "click button to vote!"

They're horribly biased. If you were to ask a British conservative that is somewhat adept in politics about Angus Reid, i think you would understand their reputation better as pollsters.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2010 9:21:52 PM

There's proof that most Americans are stupid. Here's a sad video:
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2010 9:23:37 PM
I've seen that video. It's pretty funny. It's just a small sample though so it's likely inaccurate on judging the intelligence of all Americans.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2010 9:27:10 PM
At 7/15/2010 9:23:37 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
I've seen that video. It's pretty funny. It's just a small sample though so it's likely inaccurate on judging the intelligence of all Americans.

Well duh its not accurate on all Americans, but its still funny, and scary to think that some people actually think like this. Its cause people all want tax cuts they cut school budgets theres teachers and the intelligence goes to crap. Or people are told not to listen in school because they might learn science that contradicts the bible.
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2010 9:27:31 PM
At 7/15/2010 9:21:52 PM, lovelife wrote:

....That has to be a joke...
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2010 11:28:08 PM
At 7/15/2010 9:27:31 PM, FREEDO wrote:

....That has to be a joke...

I know some people in America. Sad to say, it doesn't seem very joke-ish once you've been here a while (I thought you were American, but didn't actually check lol) Triangle question was actually on our geometry test last semester. 1/3 of the class (about 20 kids) got it wrong. It was even multiple choice....
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2010 7:20:48 AM
At 7/16/2010 5:38:35 AM, Pirate wrote:
Soooo.... Anybody considered nuking them?

What, the U.S? Me and---uhh I mean no one would ever do such a thing, its the greatest country ever. I'm just gunna go to Canada to uhhh....better my inderstanding of how great it is....and going to Europe when we--uhh want a vacation ^.^
brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2010 7:51:20 AM

"The United Kingdom? What is that? I don't even know."

Charming. Thank you very much.

Actually, I remember staying in a hotel in a little town in Texas where I got talking to this woman at the bar. She said she loved my accent and asked me where I was from. I told her England and she replied: "That's in Europe isn't it? Boy, you speak pretty good English for a foreigner."

I was just about to say: "I'm from England and I'm speaking English with an English accent," but I stopped myself just in time!
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
tBoonePickens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2010 9:05:48 AM

I'll show you some scary numbers: 666!
WOS
: At 10/3/2012 4:28:52 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
: Without nothing existing, you couldn't have something.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2010 9:19:48 AM
At 7/16/2010 9:05:48 AM, tBoonePickens wrote:

I'll show you some scary numbers: 666!

Thats my fave number. Also fond of the numbers 3, 5, 7, 13, 15, 69, 73, 79, 82, 85, 87, 88, 93, 95, 99, 111, 123, 144, 156, 169, 178, 192, 213, 214, 222, 267, 333, 345, 412, 438, 444, 472, 493, 517, 555, 589, 612, (of course 666) 675, 692....don't feel like listing them all.
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2010 9:42:42 AM
I think there is a Law of Conservation of Weird Beliefs. If you don't believe in weird thing X, that increases the probability that you will believe in weird thing Y. We now have a majority that believe ghosts are real and we have about a third that believe astrology is accurate. Young people have much higher percentages of belief in those things. As religion fades, other nutcase beliefs fill the void. If you carefully go through the data from countries around the world, the types of weird belief varies, but the quantity remains high everywhere.

It is easiest to maintain weird beliefs that have little or no impact on one's daily life. Ask New Yorker's, "Is it safe to cross the street without watching for traffic?" and I suspect that few would express the weird notion it was safe. But creationism, ghosts, and global warming crisis are easy to maintain, because there is little day-to-day contradiction.

Thus, the weirdest of weird beliefs is that Obama is doing an excellent job as President. That is the most difficult to sustain in the face of daily events.
brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2010 9:50:31 AM
At 7/16/2010 9:42:42 AM, RoyLatham wrote:
I think there is a Law of Conservation of Weird Beliefs. If you don't believe in weird thing X, that increases the probability that you will believe in weird thing Y. We now have a majority that believe ghosts are real and we have about a third that believe astrology is accurate. Young people have much higher percentages of belief in those things. As religion fades, other nutcase beliefs fill the void. If you carefully go through the data from countries around the world, the types of weird belief varies, but the quantity remains high everywhere.

It is easiest to maintain weird beliefs that have little or no impact on one's daily life. Ask New Yorker's, "Is it safe to cross the street without watching for traffic?" and I suspect that few would express the weird notion it was safe. But creationism, ghosts, and global warming crisis are easy to maintain, because there is little day-to-day contradiction.

Thus, the weirdest of weird beliefs is that Obama is doing an excellent job as President. That is the most difficult to sustain in the face of daily events.

Only Roy could twist an argument about the irrational belief in religion into an anti-Obama diatribe!
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...