Total Posts:6|Showing Posts:1-6
Jump to topic:

Killing Cancer

Sosoconfused
Posts: 237
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2015 1:19:36 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
By now, I'm sure some of you guys have seen the new Vice episode "Killing Cancer".

For those that haven't; the quick down and dirty is basically this:
New clinical trials are being fast tracked that use viruses to kill cancer. HIV is used to reprogram the immune system to kill leukemia for example. The results of these treatments have been remarkable. Patients were in remission in as little as a few weeks post Tx.

Now; the study numbers are extremely small and the cases that are being used are very specific, but could this be the start of a revolutionary way to treat cancer? Will this be bigger than chemo and radiation?
tkubok
Posts: 5,044
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2015 11:27:48 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/10/2015 1:19:36 AM, Sosoconfused wrote:
By now, I'm sure some of you guys have seen the new Vice episode "Killing Cancer".

For those that haven't; the quick down and dirty is basically this:
New clinical trials are being fast tracked that use viruses to kill cancer. HIV is used to reprogram the immune system to kill leukemia for example. The results of these treatments have been remarkable. Patients were in remission in as little as a few weeks post Tx.

Now; the study numbers are extremely small and the cases that are being used are very specific, but could this be the start of a revolutionary way to treat cancer? Will this be bigger than chemo and radiation?

I feel as though a zombie apocalypse is upon us.
RuvDraba
Posts: 6,033
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2015 1:44:23 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/10/2015 1:19:36 AM, Sosoconfused wrote:
New clinical trials are being fast tracked that use viruses to kill cancer. HIV is used to reprogram the immune system to kill leukemia for example. The results of these treatments have been remarkable. Patients were in remission in as little as a few weeks post Tx.

Now; the study numbers are extremely small and the cases that are being used are very specific, but could this be the start of a revolutionary way to treat cancer? Will this be bigger than chemo and radiation?

There's an informative blog article on this from CancerResearchUK: http://scienceblog.cancerresearchuk.org...

We"ve recently noticed an inspiring short film circulating on the internet about how doctors in the US have apparently cured a child of leukaemia by "injecting her with HIV".
But while the actual science behind this story is fascinating, the treatment is still at an extremely experimental stage and has only been tested in a handful of patients.
And while we"re always keen to welcome exciting experimental cancer treatments, we also want to clear up a few misconceptions about what the research actually involved.
To be absolutely clear, the doctors in the video did NOT inject HIV " nor a "deadly disease" " into a child. : [...]
Promoting the video, the Upworthy website boldly states that the doctors are injecting "HIV into a dying girl", and that she received a "deadly disease". This is a serious bending of scientific truth, and very misleading.
And the researchers didn"t inject any virus into anyone. As we"ve explained, they took immune cells out of the patient, treated them with the virus in the lab, then injected the modified cells back in.

As I understand it, human gene sequencing has opened up a vast new array of techniques for medicines targeting individual patients and specific conditions, and genetically-targeted therapies may well replace blanket treatments like chemo and radiation therapies or antibiotics for many diseases in future.

Some treatments will make better use of a particular patient's body chemistry, to produce custom therapeutic cocktails to improve the outcomes and reduce the side-effects, while others might be gene-therapies, using cell reproduction itself to alter the course of a disease -- and this sounds like the immunological line they' used.

Since viruses are simple, reproduce quickly and don't do much other than breed and change cells, they're a likely candidate for some genetically-targeted therapies. But note how it makes more sense to extract cells, alter them in the lab, confirm the changes, then reintroduce them into the body, rather than injecting (say) flu-bugs into the patient herself. :)

Cancer itself is not a single disease, but rather each kind of cancer is a spectrum of diseases, with multiple pathways by which it occurs, so it seems likely that lots of individual solutions will be needed, rather than a single, blanket 'cure cancer' treatment.

Anyway this is all in its infancy, but fascinating still. Thank you for the post, Soso. :)
Sosoconfused
Posts: 237
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2015 9:47:22 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/10/2015 1:44:23 PM, RuvDraba wrote:
At 3/10/2015 1:19:36 AM, Sosoconfused wrote:
New clinical trials are being fast tracked that use viruses to kill cancer. HIV is used to reprogram the immune system to kill leukemia for example. The results of these treatments have been remarkable. Patients were in remission in as little as a few weeks post Tx.

Now; the study numbers are extremely small and the cases that are being used are very specific, but could this be the start of a revolutionary way to treat cancer? Will this be bigger than chemo and radiation?

There's an informative blog article on this from CancerResearchUK: http://scienceblog.cancerresearchuk.org...

We"ve recently noticed an inspiring short film circulating on the internet about how doctors in the US have apparently cured a child of leukaemia by "injecting her with HIV".
But while the actual science behind this story is fascinating, the treatment is still at an extremely experimental stage and has only been tested in a handful of patients.
And while we"re always keen to welcome exciting experimental cancer treatments, we also want to clear up a few misconceptions about what the research actually involved.
To be absolutely clear, the doctors in the video did NOT inject HIV " nor a "deadly disease" " into a child. : [...]
Promoting the video, the Upworthy website boldly states that the doctors are injecting "HIV into a dying girl", and that she received a "deadly disease". This is a serious bending of scientific truth, and very misleading.
And the researchers didn"t inject any virus into anyone. As we"ve explained, they took immune cells out of the patient, treated them with the virus in the lab, then injected the modified cells back in.

As I understand it, human gene sequencing has opened up a vast new array of techniques for medicines targeting individual patients and specific conditions, and genetically-targeted therapies may well replace blanket treatments like chemo and radiation therapies or antibiotics for many diseases in future.

Some treatments will make better use of a particular patient's body chemistry, to produce custom therapeutic cocktails to improve the outcomes and reduce the side-effects, while others might be gene-therapies, using cell reproduction itself to alter the course of a disease -- and this sounds like the immunological line they' used.

Since viruses are simple, reproduce quickly and don't do much other than breed and change cells, they're a likely candidate for some genetically-targeted therapies. But note how it makes more sense to extract cells, alter them in the lab, confirm the changes, then reintroduce them into the body, rather than injecting (say) flu-bugs into the patient herself. :)

Cancer itself is not a single disease, but rather each kind of cancer is a spectrum of diseases, with multiple pathways by which it occurs, so it seems likely that lots of individual solutions will be needed, rather than a single, blanket 'cure cancer' treatment.

http://meetinglibrary.asco.org...
This is an interesting article to add to this. We've been naming cancers by organ of origin. This may sort of naming may soon be a thing of the past. Sequencing specific tissues involved and understanding multiple layers of the disease will hopefully get us better treatment options in the near future.


Anyway this is all in its infancy, but fascinating still. Thank you for the post, Soso. :)
Sosoconfused
Posts: 237
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2015 9:50:10 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/10/2015 11:27:48 AM, tkubok wrote:
At 3/10/2015 1:19:36 AM, Sosoconfused wrote:
By now, I'm sure some of you guys have seen the new Vice episode "Killing Cancer".

For those that haven't; the quick down and dirty is basically this:
New clinical trials are being fast tracked that use viruses to kill cancer. HIV is used to reprogram the immune system to kill leukemia for example. The results of these treatments have been remarkable. Patients were in remission in as little as a few weeks post Tx.

Now; the study numbers are extremely small and the cases that are being used are very specific, but could this be the start of a revolutionary way to treat cancer? Will this be bigger than chemo and radiation?

I feel as though a zombie apocalypse is upon us.

hahaha, I guess injecting genetically modified measles virus into someones brain in order to cure a tumor warrants that concern.....Guess cancer would then be the last of our worries. More concerned with findings shotgun shells.
goruthy
Posts: 9
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2015 1:35:27 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
If I get cancer, I will definitely be looking to get me some AIDS or measles.

Once I acquire my cancer eating disease, I'l be looking to chill out, and smoke a bud.

https://www.youtube.com...