Jump to topic:

Does Man-Made Global Warming Exist?

AlwaysRight12345
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2015 3:52:15 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I heavily support the liberal side of this, to the point that I can't see the idea that it doesn't. Scientists worldwide accept this as a fact, and there isn't any evidence against man-made global warming. So, what is the other side of this?
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2015 4:13:51 PM
At 3/25/2015 3:52:15 PM, AlwaysRight12345 wrote:
what is the other side of this?

It's pretty simple: politically-funded campaigning can manufacture doubt about virtually anything, and this has occurred periodically in the 20th century, when industrial interests have clashed with scientifically-informed public policy. See for example, an historical account in Merchants of Doubt [http://www.merchantsofdoubt.org...]

The motive in this case is that the longer you defer action, the greater the opportunity for existing energy-sector players to profit from current investments, and the longer new competitors can be kept out of the markets. A comparable example is the unconscionable decades-long lag between scientific results showing conclusively that cigarette-smoking was linked to reduced life expectancy and chronic health issues, and public action to reduce the promotion of tobacco products.
Fly
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2015 10:24:34 PM
I heavily support the liberal side of this, to the point that I can't see the idea that it doesn't. Scientists worldwide accept this as a fact, and there isn't any evidence against man-made global warming. So, what is the other side of this?

From what I have observed over a period of years, the "other side of this" amounts one or a combination of three things:

1. Climate change is indeed occurring, but man is not to blame, so realistically nothing can be done.

2. Climate change is occurring, but the changes will be largely beneficial, so nothing should be done.

3. Climate change is not occurring to any appreciable degree, so nothing needs to be done.

As one can easily see, it is a conclusion centered worldview: do nothing about it.
"You don't have a right to be a jerk."
--Religion Forum's hypocrite extraordinaire serving up lulz
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2015 10:57:21 PM
At 3/25/2015 10:24:34 PM, Fly wrote:

From what I have observed over a period of years, the "other side of this" amounts one or a combination of three things:

1. Climate change is indeed occurring, but man is not to blame, so realistically nothing can be done.

2. Climate change is occurring, but the changes will be largely beneficial, so nothing should be done.

3. Climate change is not occurring to any appreciable degree, so nothing needs to be done.

As one can easily see, it is a conclusion centered worldview: do nothing about it.

Don't forget that man can only heat the planet up, he can't cool it down, despite the Hollywood movies.