Total Posts:7|Showing Posts:1-7
Jump to topic:

Replacing nukes, guns, and the internet.

Skynet
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2015 8:25:06 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Take a break from the big philosophical arguments for a bit.

I think about
nukes, the ultimate weapon,
the internet, the ultimate communication method
firearms, the ultimate infantry/personal weapon

There were times when
chariots were the ultimate weapon
telegraph was the ultimate communication method
swords were the ultimate infantry/personal weapon

No one could imagine what could have replaced those prior mainstays of technology, but they were all obsolete in time.

Your input: What could replace nuclear bombs as the ultimate weapon?
What could replace the internet as the ultimate communication method?
What could replace firearms as the ultimate infantry/personal weapon?

You might disagree about my use of the term ultimate. I'm trying to convey a device so practical for it's purpose, a replacement is generally thought impossible or impractical.
One perk to being a dad is you get to watch cartoons again without explaining yourself.
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2015 8:43:03 PM
At 4/3/2015 8:25:06 PM, Skynet wrote:

I think about

There were times when

No one could imagine what could have replaced those prior mainstays of technology, but they were all obsolete in time.

Device that controls gravity. It could crush targets under their own weight or lift them apart.

cybernetic devices that allow a person to construct messages with their mind and transmit messages to other people or machines.

light saber.

You might disagree about my use of the term ultimate. I'm trying to convey a device so practical for it's purpose, a replacement is generally thought impossible or impractical.
tkubok
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2015 11:01:35 PM

I think about

There were times when

Universe-destroying weapon. No one would use it cause it would destroy the entire universe. No way to escape it, since we all live inside the universe.

Telepathy.

Micro-nukes. that or some sort of deadly radiation-emitting weapon.

Yes, it is, which is why this discussion is meaningless. Youre asking for us to come up with a hypothetical, nonexistant weapon/method to replace nukes and the likes. We might as well go crazy and just start naming random things that we think are powerful.
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2015 3:10:19 AM

I think about

There were times when

Ultimate weapon

Time travel................wipe out your enemy so they never exist in the first place

Mind control device...............obviously

Black hole creator..............putting a thing next to your enemy where the laws of physics as we know them break down, well that can't be good.
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
Skynet
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2015 8:41:00 PM
I think psychological compromising techniques exposed by Yuri Bezmenov are superior to any possible weapon, because they degrade the resolve of the ones who have the weapon. It works through infiltration of the target culture and influencing the people to distrust authority, political, religious, or other. It also encourages latent social ills within a culture: Whatever will destroy that culture is encouraged. It's not the same for every target. The goal is destabilization. It works eerily well.

I think the internet may go away not because something better will come about, but because there will be too many security breakdowns to make it safe for anything serious. If it were replaced, I agree, something akin to bionic telepathy would be the ticket.

Replacing infantry weapons: Swords and melee weapons might come back if there is a good counter to small arms, like super accurate, anti-ballistic weapon lasers. Advanced enough, they could take out bullets or anyone firing them. It could be carried by a (machine) gunner equivalent in an infantry squad, or mounted on light vehicles.
One perk to being a dad is you get to watch cartoons again without explaining yourself.
Sosoconfused
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2015 3:03:40 AM

I think about

There were times when

Ultimate weapon: Death star of course!!!

Ultimate communication: I think it'll remain the internet. The way we access it will surely change, however, I think the concept will remain largely unchanged. Perhaps more Intranet access for companies to keep things offline but accessible.

Ultimate firearm: Laser pistols/rifles....I want one!!!
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2015 9:09:32 AM
Ultimate Weapon
-Disintegrator: Just point shoot and it breaks all the bonds held by the weak and strong forces and the collection of atoms just floats away in the wind.

Ultimate Communication:
- Internet 10.0: The internet is nothing more than decentralized communication. It will always be around, but it will be even more decentralized. The ultimate will be when technology eliminates the need of the backbone as it becomes completely peer to peer. We will use personal devices that use quantum communications to access it, possibly integrated to our mind and fully configurable to leverage quantum technology so it is instantaneous and impossible to hack.

Ultimate Infantry Weapon:
- Robots of Doom: Why risk getting shot in war, when your Robot of Doom can fight on your behalf. The best Robot of Doom, of course not as flashy, would be micro bot swarms, which pick your target apart by a literal millions cuts to death.