slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2015 9:27:03 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
http://www.sciencedaily.com...

Exerpts:

During prenatal development, the brains of most animals, including humans, develop specifically male or female characteristics. In most species, some portions of male and female brains are a different size, and often have a different number of neurons and synapses. However, scientists have known little about how this differentiation occurs. Now, a new study by researchers at the University of Maryland School of Medicine (UM SOM) has illuminated details about this process.

Prof. McCarthy and Nugent also found that inhibiting Dnmts has powerful effects, even outside the usual window of development. During prenatal development there is a restricted time frame during which the brain takes on male or female characteristics. Scientists had thought that once this window closed, it could not be reopened. But the two researchers found otherwise. They succeeded in transforming the brain of a female rat after the window had closed, giving it the characteristics of a male rat brain.

Prof. McCarthy and Nugent injected Dnmt inhibitors into a specific region of the female brains, a region known as the preoptic area, or POA. In every species that's been studied, including humans, the POA plays a key role in governing male sexual behavior. The injections occurred after the first week of birth, the time when the window for brain sexual differentiation was thought to have been closed. Despite this, the preoptic area in these animals was transformed, and took on structural characteristics of a male rat. The female rats also behaved differently, displaying sexual behavior typical of male rats. In another experiment, they genetically deleted the Dnmt gene in female mice; these animals also showed male behavior patterns.
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2015 9:32:50 AM
Some things to take note on.

1. There are differences between a female and male brain.
2. The "gender" of the brain can be altered by epigentics and environmental factors.
3. It can change even after taking on an identity.

Granted these are on animal models and one can not just assume is applicable on humans. With that said there is growing evidence that gender identity is not based upon one's genitals and that people's dislike for transgenders maybe based nothing more than their ignorance.
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2015 4:00:04 PM
At 4/6/2015 9:32:50 AM, slo1 wrote:

2. The "gender" of the brain can be altered by epigentics and environmental factors.

Granted these are on animal models and one can not just assume is applicable on humans. With that said there is growing evidence that gender identity is not based upon one's genitals and that people's dislike for transgenders maybe based nothing more than their ignorance.

where is all the buffoonery and those who say, "A man is a man and a woman is a woman!"
medic0506
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2015 9:29:01 AM
You mean to tell me that if you monkey with the chemicals in the brain, it will change how it functions?? I'm shocked...truly shocked.

Next thing you know we'll have vaginas producing sperm and penii producing eggs.
janesix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2015 5:11:33 PM
At 4/8/2015 9:29:01 AM, medic0506 wrote:
You mean to tell me that if you monkey with the chemicals in the brain, it will change how it functions?? I'm shocked...truly shocked.

Next thing you know we'll have vaginas producing sperm and penii producing eggs.

And you know they will monkey with things, because humans can't just leave well enough alone.
medic0506
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2015 7:02:25 PM
At 4/8/2015 5:11:33 PM, janesix wrote:

And you know they will monkey with things, because humans can't just leave well enough alone.

Well, on the serious side, DNMT appears to be also involved with disease processes like Alzheimer's and Parkinson's, so if this is where the research is leading them
medic0506
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2015 8:00:38 PM
At 4/8/2015 5:11:33 PM, janesix wrote:

Well, on the serious side, DNMT appears to be also involved with disease processes like Ataxia and Parkinson's, so if this is where the research is leading them, I'm fine with that.

Fix'd and finished.
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2015 10:19:36 PM
At 4/7/2015 4:00:04 PM, slo1 wrote:

where is all the buffoonery and those who say, "A man is a man and a woman is a woman!"

Because it's true.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2015 7:12:00 AM
At 4/9/2015 10:19:36 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
At 4/7/2015 4:00:04 PM, slo1 wrote:

Because it's true.

Only if you ignore reality.