Jump to topic:

fields and energy

janesix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2015 4:21:53 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
"There's one field for each type of particle. So one field for all photons in the universe, one field for all electrons, and so on. And these fields exist everywhere.

To "extract" a particle from a field, you need to give the field energy. If you give it enough energy, the field will go to a higher energy state. These states are what we interpret as particles."

I read this and I have a few questions.

1.) can a field exist without a particle
2.) can a field exist without energy
3.) Is the rest of the paragraph even accurate
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2015 6:19:53 PM
At 4/16/2015 4:21:53 PM, janesix wrote:
"There's one field for each type of particle. So one field for all photons in the universe, one field for all electrons, and so on. And these fields exist everywhere.

To "extract" a particle from a field, you need to give the field energy. If you give it enough energy, the field will go to a higher energy state. These states are what we interpret as particles."

There are various types of fields, but they are essentially a mathematical constructs to show positions in space from some sort of a source. For example, between the earth and moon, there is a gravitational field, one for the moon and one for the earth, each one dissipates in strength the further it is from the source. In this way, we can plot any given position within these fields and calculate the strength of gravity.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
janesix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2015 6:55:52 PM
At 4/16/2015 6:19:53 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

There are various types of fields, but they are essentially a mathematical constructs to show positions in space from some sort of a source. For example, between the earth and moon, there is a gravitational field, one for the moon and one for the earth, each one dissipates in strength the further it is from the source. In this way, we can plot any given position within these fields and calculate the strength of gravity.

What is it that you feel when you put two magnets together?

I'm trying to figure out what is a physical thing is and what's not.
janesix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2015 7:10:18 PM
You can see the shape, at least in a magnetic field. What is making the shape, if not the field, with a physical reality?
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2015 7:28:03 PM
At 4/16/2015 6:55:52 PM, janesix wrote:
At 4/16/2015 6:19:53 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

What is it that you feel when you put two magnets together?

Force.

I'm trying to figure out what is a physical thing is and what's not.

Forces, particles, energy and fields are all physical things.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2015 7:33:29 PM
At 4/16/2015 7:10:18 PM, janesix wrote:
You can see the shape, at least in a magnetic field. What is making the shape, if not the field, with a physical reality?

Charged particles (electrons), very physical.
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2015 5:24:40 AM

Did you get a satisfactory answer about this, Jane? I found the questions interesting, but my last foray into fields was around 30 years ago so I deferred attempting an answer in the hope that someone with more current knowledge might be able to contribute.
Floid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2015 6:56:01 AM
At 4/16/2015 7:33:29 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

Actually, the field is really made of photons. Electromagnetic interaction (all magnetic and electric effects) are due to the exchange of photons between electrons.

The following link has some good information: http://www.levitationfun.com...
v3nesl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2015 7:26:55 AM

It may help to remember that 'field' is also a metaphor. Way back when, my physics teacher told us "When it comes to quantum physics, what we have are equations. People try to make mental images of the equations, but they all fail in one way or another. The subatomic world is simply not like anything we've ever experienced in the macroscopic world". So fields and candy machines, same as the orbits or clouds of my day - don't try to understand them. If they help you visualize the equations, that is, the known behavior of the subatomic world, fine, but if not, ignore them.
This space for rent.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2015 11:05:38 AM
At 4/22/2015 6:56:01 AM, Floid wrote:
At 4/16/2015 7:33:29 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

Actually, the field is really made of photons. Electromagnetic interaction (all magnetic and electric effects) are due to the exchange of photons between electrons.

The following link has some good information: http://www.levitationfun.com...

Exactly, but the question posed was what was 'making' the field, what created it.