Jump to topic:

Resurrecting extinct Mammoth

Truth_seeker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2015 12:46:28 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Scientists are currently trying to bring back the Mammoth almost perfectly preserved in ice. DNA probably can be extracted. What do you think about this? Do you agree? What changes will this have on the environment? Do you see this as beneficial? Will it work?
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2015 12:51:03 PM
At 4/21/2015 12:46:28 PM, Truth_seeker wrote:
Scientists are currently trying to bring back the Mammoth almost perfectly preserved in ice. DNA probably can be extracted. What do you think about this? Do you agree? What changes will this have on the environment? Do you see this as beneficial? Will it work?

I have a hard time finding any reasonable objections.
Truth_seeker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2015 12:54:35 PM
At 4/21/2015 12:51:03 PM, TBR wrote:

I have a hard time finding any reasonable objections.

so your all for it?
Truth_seeker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2015 1:02:04 PM
At 4/21/2015 12:58:20 PM, TBR wrote:
so your all for it?

Sure...

What would it eat? Do you think it'd destroy the environment?
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2015 1:04:54 PM
At 4/21/2015 1:02:04 PM, Truth_seeker wrote:
so your all for it?

Sure...

Well, one - it is very close to the elephant. It would eat Purina elephant chow
http://purinamills.com...

And what environment are you concerned it will destroy?
Truth_seeker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2015 1:10:19 PM
At 4/21/2015 1:04:54 PM, TBR wrote:
At 4/21/2015 1:02:04 PM, Truth_seeker wrote:
so your all for it?

Sure...

Well, one - it is very close to the elephant. It would eat Purina elephant chow
http://purinamills.com...

lol i mean where would it live? North Pole? Alaska? Smaller animals such as Penguins might be destroyed by a Mammoth.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2015 1:13:42 PM

lol i mean where would it live? North Pole? Alaska? Smaller animals such as Penguins might be destroyed by a Mammoth.

It would live in reserves. I doubt anyone is expecting to release it into the wild. Zoologist would make better choices for living conditions than I could guess at. They may not get it "right" but I doubt that it would be so wrong as to cause real harm to the animal.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2015 1:16:12 PM
I just looked up Elephant reserves. In India, they have ~2000 Elephants in reserves on a total of ~16k^2km of land.
Truth_seeker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2015 1:19:39 PM
At 4/21/2015 1:13:42 PM, TBR wrote:

It would live in reserves. I doubt anyone is expecting to release it into the wild. Zoologist would make better choices for living conditions than I could guess at. They may not get it "right" but I doubt that it would be so wrong as to cause real harm to the animal.

It's an ancient animal so i'd guess that the conditions now do not permit it to live as in it's time.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2015 1:21:59 PM
It's an ancient animal so i'd guess that the conditions now do not permit it to live as in it's time.

I think you are over thinking it. The conditions are not impossible to mimic close enough. The animal(s) are hearty enough to survive slight differences in climate, or diet. If I picked YOU up, and set you down in the timeframe that the Mammoth lived, YOU could survive just fine too.
Truth_seeker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2015 1:31:53 PM
At 4/21/2015 1:21:59 PM, TBR wrote:

I think you are over thinking it. The conditions are not impossible to mimic close enough. The animal(s) are hearty enough to survive slight differences in climate, or diet. If I picked YOU up, and set you down in the timeframe that the Mammoth lived, YOU could survive just fine too.

lol as long as i don't get killed by wild animals and early humans.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2015 1:37:17 PM

Got to die from something.
Truth_seeker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2015 1:41:58 PM
At 4/21/2015 1:37:17 PM, TBR wrote:

Got to die from something.

lol i'd rather die from old age than getting eaten or cooked.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2015 1:59:17 PM

Let me see... Die of old age in the year 20??, or die being the first time-traveling modern human man to the year... lets say 1bya squished by some extinct beast.

I will giggle as the enormous foot squishes the life out of me.
Truth_seeker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2015 2:03:58 PM
At 4/21/2015 1:59:17 PM, TBR wrote:

Let me see... Die of old age in the year 20??, or die being the first time-traveling modern human man to the year... lets say 1bya squished by some extinct beast.

lol i'd rather die an old man in the ice age :P
Otokage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2015 4:30:39 PM
Scientists are currently trying to bring back the Mammoth almost perfectly preserved in ice. DNA probably can be extracted. What do you think about this?

I find it interesting and a cool initiative. It will let us study mammoths in depth and could be used as a pilote experiment to resurrect extinct species destroyed by human activity.

Do you agree?

Yes :)

What changes will this have on the environment?

I don't think it will be released in the wilds, so the changes it will cause on a controled environment like a reserve are not really relevant. It is just one specimen. But if scientists wanted to create a stable population of mammoths, they should of course make a previous experiment of environmental assessment to ensure that no damage will occur to the other species of the natural reserve. This is a protocol activity always performed when you want to introduce (or reintroduce) species in a natural reserve.

Do you see this as beneficial? Will it work?

Yes I see it benefical for the reasons mentioned above :) And yes I think it is not a very complex task for our current resources, so I believe it will work without major problems.
UndeniableReality
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2015 5:00:34 PM
At 4/21/2015 1:19:39 PM, Truth_seeker wrote:

They're not that old. I doubt providing it a suitable habitat and diet would be much of an issue. They're not looking to create a million of them anyway, right? Just enough to study them.
Truth_seeker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2015 6:14:56 PM
At 4/21/2015 4:30:39 PM, Otokage wrote:
Scientists are currently trying to bring back the Mammoth almost perfectly preserved in ice. DNA probably can be extracted. What do you think about this?

I find it interesting and a cool initiative. It will let us study mammoths in depth and could be used as a pilote experiment to resurrect extinct species destroyed by human activity.

That's true. I want to see dinosaurs and ancient species alive again.

Do you agree?

I don't think it will be released in the wilds, so the changes it will cause on a controled environment like a reserve are not really relevant. It is just one specimen. But if scientists wanted to create a stable population of mammoths, they should of course make a previous experiment of environmental assessment to ensure that no damage will occur to the other species of the natural reserve. This is a protocol activity always performed when you want to introduce (or reintroduce) species in a natural reserve.

What if it has a short life span? Diet? Space?

Yes I see it benefical for the reasons mentioned above :) And yes I think it is not a very complex task for our current resources, so I believe it will work without major problems.
Truth_seeker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2015 6:17:16 PM
At 4/21/2015 5:00:34 PM, UndeniableReality wrote:

They're not that old. I doubt providing it a suitable habitat and diet would be much of an issue. They're not looking to create a million of them anyway, right? Just enough to study them.

I suppose, i'd always wanted to know about ancient species. Maybe they can bring back the dinosaurs. There's a scientific plausibility on that. Who knows, maybe we'll be able to make a theme park on different time periods. The possibilities are endless.
UndeniableReality
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2015 6:22:57 PM
At 4/21/2015 6:17:16 PM, Truth_seeker wrote:

I suppose, i'd always wanted to know about ancient species. Maybe they can bring back the dinosaurs. There's a scientific plausibility on that. Who knows, maybe we'll be able to make a theme park on different time periods. The possibilities are endless.

I would be cool with that.
Otokage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2015 6:43:00 PM
At 4/21/2015 6:14:56 PM, Truth_seeker wrote:

Do you agree?

The important thing is not if it has a short life span, its diet, or the territory it is able to dominate, but to take good note of all those things :)

Truth_seeker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2015 6:45:18 PM
At 4/21/2015 6:43:00 PM, Otokage wrote:

Do you agree?

The important thing is not if it has a short life span, its diet, or the territory it is able to dominate, but to take good note of all those things :)

Do you think it's ethical?
Otokage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2015 6:49:16 PM
At 4/21/2015 6:45:18 PM, Truth_seeker wrote:
At 4/21/2015 6:43:00 PM, Otokage wrote:

Do you agree?

Do you think it's ethical?

I don't see any ethical implications on the experiment, so not ethical nor unethical.
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2015 7:52:37 PM
At 4/21/2015 1:59:17 PM, TBR wrote:

"Well, isn't this nice, And isn't it ironic, Don't you think?

Read more: Alanis Morissette - Ironic Lyrics | MetroLyrics
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2015 7:56:09 PM

Even the dinosaur DNA found is so small only 4 nucleotides long, it is doubtful an accurate genome of dinosaur dna is possible.

More likely they may be extant creatures mutated to form vestigial dinosaur body types. Problem with that is the best candidate for dinosaur lineage is birds, which have for their size reduced genetic material.

Suspected to be the aggressive removal of junk DNA.
Truth_seeker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2015 11:43:59 AM
At 4/21/2015 7:56:09 PM, Mhykiel wrote:

Even the dinosaur DNA found is so small only 4 nucleotides long, it is doubtful an accurate genome of dinosaur dna is possible.

More likely they may be extant creatures mutated to form vestigial dinosaur body types. Problem with that is the best candidate for dinosaur lineage is birds, which have for their size reduced genetic material.

Dino DNA? Where?
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2015 4:43:41 PM
At 4/22/2015 11:43:59 AM, Truth_seeker wrote:
At 4/21/2015 7:56:09 PM, Mhykiel wrote:

Dino DNA? Where?

Schweitzer's data is most well known I think. They used 2 dyes that only react to the structure of DNA.
http://www.smithsonianmag.com...

But I think we I looked into it I found a reported 10 or so cases with differing fossil species.
debate_power
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2015 4:41:35 PM

It's not really resurrection. It's more of a novelty than anything else, but nerds such as myself would really go crazy if they pulled it off.
You can call me Mark if you like.
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2015 6:48:59 PM
At 4/29/2015 4:41:35 PM, debate_power wrote:

It's not really resurrection. It's more of a novelty than anything else, but nerds such as myself would really go crazy if they pulled it off.

This.
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten