Jump to topic:

Is it plausible dinos still exist?

Truth_seeker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2015 8:51:34 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Most would agree that dinos are extinct because of a meteorite but some claim to see dinos. There's a few myths about evolution and dinos. 1St misconception is that all dinos were very large. Dinos came in all shapes and sizes. Small dinos could've survived as opposed to large ones. 2Nd misconception is that the meteorite killed off the dinos. They died mostly because they couldn't adapt to the new environment. Several ancient and very successful species such as cockroaches, sharks, fish, crocs, etc. survived almost unchanged for billions of years. Why is this? According to evolution, animals thrive so long as the environment doesn't drastically change to the point where they can't.

Why is so hard to spot them? The environment is too large and they may move too quickly.
UndeniableReality
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2015 11:04:03 AM
At 4/29/2015 8:51:34 AM, Truth_seeker wrote:
Most would agree that dinos are extinct because of a meteorite but some claim to see dinos. There's a few myths about evolution and dinos. 1St misconception is that all dinos were very large. Dinos came in all shapes and sizes. Small dinos could've survived as opposed to large ones. 2Nd misconception is that the meteorite killed off the dinos. They died mostly because they couldn't adapt to the new environment. Several ancient and very successful species such as cockroaches, sharks, fish, crocs, etc. survived almost unchanged for billions of years. Why is this? According to evolution, animals thrive so long as the environment doesn't drastically change to the point where they can't.

Why is so hard to spot them? The environment is too large and they may move too quickly.

http://en.wikipedia.org...
Truth_seeker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2015 3:20:53 PM
At 4/29/2015 11:04:03 AM, UndeniableReality wrote:

Lol not following
debate_power
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2015 4:39:55 PM

All I know is that I won't claim they are still alive until I see evidence that they do.
You can call me Mark if you like.
debate_power
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2015 4:40:07 PM
At 4/29/2015 4:39:55 PM, debate_power wrote:

All I know is that I won't claim they are still alive until I see evidence that they do.

*are
You can call me Mark if you like.
UndeniableReality
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2015 6:42:40 PM
At 4/29/2015 3:20:53 PM, Truth_seeker wrote:
At 4/29/2015 11:04:03 AM, UndeniableReality wrote:

Lol not following

Try reading maybe... even just the first line of the article.
ButterCatX
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2015 6:53:28 PM
Dinos are alive, some are evolved forms such as birds but others are pure dinos like the crocodile.
I bet fanfics are already being posted on random blogs about us.-Vaarka

Butters preformed his duty to the town and died with honor, he helped us kill scum, so we know have to go and make sure his death wasn't in vain and win this game for him.-lannan13

All hail the great and mighty Butters, who died for our inactive cause.-Vaarka

fuckith offith, lol.-Ore(talking to me)

And guess what happened to FT? He got raped to death.-Xlav

You are so obviously town I love you man.-VOT
kman100
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2015 6:59:17 PM
At 4/29/2015 6:53:28 PM, ButterCatX wrote:
Dinos are alive, some are evolved forms such as birds but others are pure dinos like the crocodile.

I agree with the first part, not the second. Crocs share a common ancsestor with dinosaurs, but dinosaurs are definitly not crocs.
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2015 7:33:55 PM
Most would agree that dinos are extinct because of a meteorite but some claim to see dinos.

Truthy, it looks like there are some close and complicated links between dinosaurs and birds. It's so close that protein sequences taken from dehydrated T.Rex collagen show that it's closer to a chicken than an alligator -- and there are many many other similarities between dinosaurs and birds -- in bones, limbs, digits, lungs, necks, spines, pelvises, tails, nostrils, and reproduction -- plus there's some thought that some dinosaurs were feathered.

These links are still being investigated, with scientists debating whether birds evolved from a kind of dinosaur called maniraptor or no, but it's possible that when we see an eagle swooping, or an ostrich running, though we're not looking at a dinosaur, we're looking at one of their descendants.
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2015 7:52:01 PM

The crocodile is not a dinosaur.
SamStevens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2015 8:09:49 PM

Here is a chart refuting the second part of your post: http://blogs.scientificamerican.com...

http://animals.howstuffworks.com...
"This is the true horror of religion. It allows perfectly decent and sane people to believe by the billions, what only lunatics could believe on their own." Sam Harris
Life asked Death "Why do people love me but hate you?"
Death responded: "Because you are a beautiful lie, and I am the painful truth."
Kyle_the_Heretic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2015 8:38:13 PM

Alleged prehistoric survivors would require a minimum viable population; many individuals, not just a rare few.

When searched for, even the smallest creatures with small populations are found. To claim that all alleged prehistoric survivors are the constant exception, save for the occasional sighting, is both illogical and unreasonable.

Obvious observation: Can you name one creature that has been categorically identified by science that has successfully avoided poaching, when it was on the list?

Would not prehistoric survivors be highest on the list?

For humans, I have not seen any evidence that any environment is too large.
Thinking is extremely taxing on the gullible, and it takes hours to clear the smoke.
SamStevens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2015 8:44:39 PM

Do you have any evidence of dinosaurs living in the modern day?
"This is the true horror of religion. It allows perfectly decent and sane people to believe by the billions, what only lunatics could believe on their own." Sam Harris
Life asked Death "Why do people love me but hate you?"
Death responded: "Because you are a beautiful lie, and I am the painful truth."
kman100
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2015 9:03:04 PM
At 4/29/2015 7:33:55 PM, RuvDraba wrote:
Most would agree that dinos are extinct because of a meteorite but some claim to see dinos.

plus there's some thought that some dinosaurs were feathered.

though we're not looking at a dinosaur, we're looking at one of their descendants.

There's actually a growing body of evidence that many dinosaurs had feathers.

Scientists actually consider birds to be dinosaurs, not just their descendants. The classified as therapod dinosaurs in the clade Saurischia
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2015 9:08:56 PM
At 4/29/2015 9:03:04 PM, kman100 wrote:
though we're not looking at a dinosaur, we're looking at one of their descendants.
Scientists actually consider birds to be dinosaurs, not just their descendants. The classified as therapod dinosaurs in the clade Saurischia
Yes -- the feathers conjecture is still being explored, with some possible feathered fossils in China.

But the classification is still being contested, and may get recontested as new data emerge.

And I think we're likely to see a lot more data as genetic and related technologies continue to shake things up. While I'm not a biologist, I wouldn't bet the house on seeing the same cladistic classifications in ten years time. :)
kman100
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2015 9:30:10 PM
At 4/29/2015 9:08:56 PM, RuvDraba wrote:
At 4/29/2015 9:03:04 PM, kman100 wrote:
Yes -- the feathers conjecture is still being explored, with some possible feathered fossils in China.

But the classification is still being contested, and may get recontested as new data emerge.

And I think we're likely to see a lot more data as genetic and related technologies continue to shake things up. While I'm not a biologist, I wouldn't bet the house on seeing the same cladistic classifications in ten years time. :)

Well definitely the exact schematics will change, but I think that there's a good possibility of birds still being considered dinosaurs, given their similar morphology. But you're right, new genetic discoveries might change a lot of what we know.
NeoSkyler
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2015 8:58:40 AM

Hi there I'm new here :)
About your question, I think it is plausible that dinosaurs still exist
Many reptiles here came from the family of he dinosaurs
What makes us think that they are not is because of their significant evolution wherein the difference is conspicuous
And actually it's not only the dinosaurs but the birds also
In fact I've watched this documentary called "Dinosaur Revolution"
Paleontologists here are actually saying that dinos still roam around
And talking about their feelings, it makes them somehow angry
And also there are still more theories about the extinction of dinosaurs
Otokage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2015 2:46:23 PM

If "dinos" in the traditional jurasic park sense are alive, then I believe we should look for them on the pelagic, which is mostly unexplored. To find them on land... I seriously doubt it, but who knows. I like to remain open when speaking about life forms, there's some really weird animals out there, so maybe we find a little dino someday.