Jump to topic:

No longer believe in free will

Truth_seeker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2015 3:32:16 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I believe the only free will we have is the will to trust in things we can't control. I listened to a girl give her career presentation in class. She watched a baby die not knowing what to do which motivated her. I'm no psychologist, but I think this traumatic event may have caused her to work out of guilt. She wants to replay the situation to correct her helplessness in saving the child's life.

You can't control behaviors. A person with OCD cannot stop compulsive acts such as constantly washing their hands. It's intrusive to their mind. If God gave us free will, why Jesus?
debate_power
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2015 4:37:38 PM
At 4/29/2015 3:32:16 PM, Truth_seeker wrote:
I believe the only free will we have is the will to trust in things we can't control. I listened to a girl give her career presentation in class. She watched a baby die not knowing what to do which motivated her. I'm no psychologist, but I think this traumatic event may have caused her to work out of guilt. She wants to replay the situation to correct her helplessness in saving the child's life.

You can't control behaviors. A person with OCD cannot stop compulsive acts such as constantly washing their hands. It's intrusive to their mind. If God gave us free will, why Jesus?

You have the ability to choose things on a regular basis. I wouldn't worry that your attributes were determined through cause and effect.

Why Jesus in the first place? God knew that his actions would lead to the downfall of humanity.
You can call me Mark if you like.
debate_power
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2015 4:38:42 PM
At 4/29/2015 4:37:38 PM, debate_power wrote:

You have the ability to choose things on a regular basis. I wouldn't worry that your attributes were determined through cause and effect.

Why Jesus in the first place? God knew that his actions would lead to the downfall of humanity.

Just curious- have you been doubting Christianity lately?
Truth_seeker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2015 4:49:35 PM
At 4/29/2015 4:38:42 PM, debate_power wrote:

How so?

No, but i've been struggling with the concept of morality and free-will.
debate_power
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2015 4:54:35 PM
At 4/29/2015 4:49:35 PM, Truth_seeker wrote:

How so?

You believe in a first cause, correct? The information in that first cause which preceded all other causes must have determined all other events afterward, including the ones that created your personality and all other attributes. You can still use your brain to choose what to wear in the morning.

I wasn't worried about free will when I was a Christian, but I actually was somewhat concerned about morality. I eventually decided that my salvation ultimately negated the need for me to practice any moral code.
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2015 5:58:27 PM

Apparently you had to post this.
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2015 5:59:05 PM
At 4/29/2015 4:54:35 PM, debate_power wrote:

How so?

You believe in a first cause, correct? The information in that first cause which preceded all other causes must have determined all other events afterward, including the ones that created your personality and all other attributes. You can still use your brain to choose what to wear in the morning.

I wasn't worried about free will when I was a Christian, but I actually was somewhat concerned about morality. I eventually decided that my salvation ultimately negated the need for me to practice any moral code.

Yay, once saved always saved protestantism...
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2015 9:44:37 PM
At 4/29/2015 5:59:05 PM, Geogeer wrote:
At 4/29/2015 4:54:35 PM, debate_power wrote:

How so?

Yay, once saved always saved protestantism...

Being saved is a process, like pregnancy. Once the process is done it can't be lost. But it takes longer than 5 minute prayer.
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2015 10:06:21 PM
I believe the only free will we have is the will to trust in things we can't control.

I don't understand the definition of free will. I'm not sure what assumptions one needs to make to understand it, but whatever they are, I don't understand them either.
Accipiter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2015 4:33:22 AM

https://www.youtube.com...
anonymouswho
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2015 2:59:28 AM

You don't need it my friend. It exalts itself above God and it causes unnecessary worry.

"For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure." Philippians 2:13

If you believe this, and you know how awesome God is, what do you ever have to worry about again?

"Therefore I say unto you, Take no thought for your life, what ye shall eat, or what ye shall drink; nor yet for your body, what ye shall put on. Is not the life more than meat, and the body than raiment?
Behold the fowls of the air: for they sow not, neither do they reap, nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feedeth them. Are ye not much better than they?
Which of you by taking thought can add one cubit unto his stature?
And why take ye thought for raiment? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow; they toil not, neither do they spin:
And yet I say unto you, That even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these.
Wherefore, if God so clothe the grass of the field, which to day is, and to morrow is cast into the oven, shall he not much more clothe you, O ye of little faith?
Therefore take no thought, saying, What shall we eat? or, What shall we drink? or, Wherewithal shall we be clothed?
(For after all these things do the Gentiles seek:) for your heavenly Father knoweth that ye have need of all these things.
But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.
Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof." Matthew 6:25
mindbender
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2015 10:22:45 PM

You can't control behaviors. A person with OCD cannot stop compulsive acts such as constantly washing their hands. It's intrusive to their mind. If God gave us free will, why Jesus? : :

I don't believe in free will either. Not one person who was born blind can will himself to see. How about someone born without arms or legs? Can they use free will to grow new limbs? Can a man use free will to keep himself from dying?
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2015 7:43:32 PM
How anybody can have even the slightest understanding of Quantum Mechanics and Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle and not put the free will debate to sleep I do not know...
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
Dragonfang
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2015 6:00:55 PM
Ahh... a discussion about free will turning to be about semantics. Yeah yeah, from a theistic prespective only God has absolute free will, and human free will is making choices within rules, yada yada.

PST. Since some people are seemingly lacking a sense of self, who exactly I am talking to?