Jump to topic:

flat earth

Rubikx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2015 11:57:52 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Are there any legitimate flat-earth believers here? what are your arguments for a flat earth?
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2015 2:19:53 PM
At 5/15/2015 11:57:52 AM, Rubikx wrote:
Are there any legitimate flat-earth believers here? what are your arguments for a flat earth?

I can argue it though I don't actually believe that the Earth is flat.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Rubikx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2015 3:45:47 PM
At 5/15/2015 2:19:53 PM, lannan13 wrote:

So what are your arguments?
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2015 3:46:59 PM
At 5/15/2015 3:45:47 PM, Rubikx wrote:

So to clarify I will be debating that the Earth is flat by using the Neo-Classical Model with the following descripition.
The earth is finite disk.
The earth is being accelerate upwards at approximately 9.80665 m/s2.
The earth is the only known "disk" in the universe.
The laws of physics are the same in every inertial reference frame.
The speed of light, measured in any inertial reference frame, always has the same value, c. (http://wiki.tfes.org......)
Contention 1: Rotation of sun and the seasons.
Day/night cycle on a Flat Earth
One of the greatest questions you have right now is probably if the Earth is flat how does day and night work. Well the answer is actually that the Sun and the moon rotate around the Earth in a circular motion. As seen in the gif that I've provided above you can painly see that ti's a spotlight type roation as it rotates around the Earth illuminating only a certain portion of the Earth at a time simulating both night and day.

Here we can the if we were a photon that the Earth would shrink to ironically the same thickness that I have previously described. Here is a simulator that shows the exact same thing. (http://demonstrations.wolfram.com......)
Seasons in Flat Earth Theory
Seasons are explained above. As the Sun moves closer to the poles it becomes colder in the northern hemisphere while when the Sun is closer to the equatro it is actually summer time. (http://wiki.tfes.org......)

If we use the above model we can see that the Earth is indeed the center of the Universe. Though the other planets may orbit the sun we can see that the sun and the rest of the solar system orbits around the Earth.
Further proof that the Earth is flat is when we observe cosmic rays and that they travel the speed of light. Now if we look at the simulator that I have provided you we can see that as things approach the speed of light they are flattend. (http://demonstrations.wolfram.com......) Cosmic rays called Muans are better known to collide in our atmosphere and we shouldn't be recieving barely any, however we get a whole lot more then expected, but since they're going so fast the Earth is flatter and the distance they have to cover is a whole lot closer. If you were a proton moving 99.999999% the speed of light you can see that the Earth would only appear to be 17 meters thick.
Contention 2: Gravity

Now before you jump to several statements that Gravity should collapse the Earth into a sphere there is just one problem with that. Gravity doesn't exist. How in the world is this you may ask. Well you can see that the Earth is actually accelerating up at the acceration of 9.88 meters per second. This explains Newton's gravitationial theory, but Newton was incorrect here. (http://wiki.tfes.org......) With the increased accerlation it becomes apparent that this also causes you to be shorter at the end of the day. Now to further this I would like to clarify that gravitation, not gravity exists. This explains the tides as stars and the moon/other celestial bodies all have slight gravitationial pull.
Here is a list on how they are different in order to clarify the debate up a tad bit.
- Gravity or the gravitational field is a vector field, while gravitational force is only a vector.

- Gravity lies in the radial direction from the mass, while gravitational force is in the direction of the line connecting the two masses.

- Gravitational field requires only one mass, while two masses are required for gravitational force.

- Gravitational force is equal to the product of the mass of the test object and the gravitational field intensity. (http://www.differencebetween.com......)

Now I want you to imagin living on this Earth, which as I showed earlier is just a flat disk. The gravitational force is actually angled to the point to where as you get further and further away from the center (the north pole) you can see that the increasing gravitationial force would cause you to want to fall back towards the center and not want to go towards the edge of the Earth. The people living away from the north pole would have their living conditions inclined in order to meet such a force. It would feel like you are trying to clime up a steeper and steeper hill. Contary to belief you wouldn't fall off the edge due to the gravitationial vector pointing back towards the north pole, the actual fear would be falling off the edge and rolling back towards the center as shown in the picture above.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Rubikx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2015 4:16:36 PM
At 5/15/2015 3:46:59 PM, lannan13 wrote:
At 5/15/2015 3:45:47 PM, Rubikx wrote:

So to clarify I will be debating that the Earth is flat by using the Neo-Classical Model with the following descripition.
The earth is finite disk.
The earth is being accelerate upwards at approximately 9.80665 m/s2.

So you claim that the earth is accelerating constantly at 9.810665 m/s^2. But we also know Force = mass * acceleration. So if the earth is accelerating then what is the force that is accelerating the earth? also if the earth is approximately 4.54 billion years old and the acceleration remain relatively constant that would mean the earth was moving at about 1.4054591e18 m/s which is 4.68810693e9 times faster then the speed of light.

The earth is the only known "disk" in the universe.
The laws of physics are the same in every inertial reference frame.
The speed of light, measured in any inertial reference frame, always has the same value, c. (http://wiki.tfes.org......)
Contention 1: Rotation of sun and the seasons.
Day/night cycle on a Flat Earth
One of the greatest questions you have right now is probably if the Earth is flat how does day and night work. Well the answer is actually that the Sun and the moon rotate around the Earth in a circular motion. As seen in the gif that I've provided above you can painly see that ti's a spotlight type roation as it rotates around the Earth illuminating only a certain portion of the Earth at a time simulating both night and day.

Here we can the if we were a photon that the Earth would shrink to ironically the same thickness that I have previously described. Here is a simulator that shows the exact same thing. (http://demonstrations.wolfram.com......)

But what is making the earth, sun, moon and planets. The round earth theory says that gravity causes the planets to orbit the sun. But once again, what causes them to orbit?

Seasons in Flat Earth Theory
Seasons are explained above. As the Sun moves closer to the poles it becomes colder in the northern hemisphere while when the Sun is closer to the equatro it is actually summer time. (http://wiki.tfes.org......)

If we use the above model we can see that the Earth is indeed the center of the Universe. Though the other planets may orbit the sun we can see that the sun and the rest of the solar system orbits around the Earth.
Further proof that the Earth is flat is when we observe cosmic rays and that they travel the speed of light. Now if we look at the simulator that I have provided you we can see that as things approach the speed of light they are flattend. (http://demonstrations.wolfram.com......) Cosmic rays called Muans are better known to collide in our atmosphere and we shouldn't be recieving barely any, however we get a whole lot more then expected, but since they're going so fast the Earth is flatter and the distance they have to cover is a whole lot closer. If you were a proton moving 99.999999% the speed of light you can see that the Earth would only appear to be 17 meters thick.

Ultimately I can't argue on the points of days and seasons as both round and flat earth explain it.

Contention 2: Gravity

Now before you jump to several statements that Gravity should collapse the Earth into a sphere there is just one problem with that. Gravity doesn't exist. How in the world is this you may ask. Well you can see that the Earth is actually accelerating up at the acceration of 9.88 meters per second. This explains Newton's gravitationial theory, but Newton was incorrect here. (http://wiki.tfes.org......) With the increased accerlation it becomes apparent that this also causes you to be shorter at the end of the day. Now to further this I would like to clarify that gravitation, not gravity exists. This explains the tides as stars and the moon/other celestial bodies all have slight gravitationial pull.
Here is a list on how they are different in order to clarify the debate up a tad bit.
- Gravity or the gravitational field is a vector field, while gravitational force is only a vector.

- Gravity lies in the radial direction from the mass, while gravitational force is in the direction of the line connecting the two masses.

- Gravitational field requires only one mass, while two masses are required for gravitational force.

- Gravitational force is equal to the product of the mass of the test object and the gravitational field intensity. (http://www.differencebetween.com......)

Now I want you to imagin living on this Earth, which as I showed earlier is just a flat disk. The gravitational force is actually angled to the point to where as you get further and further away from the center (the north pole) you can see that the increasing gravitationial force would cause you to want to fall back towards the center and not want to go towards the edge of the Earth. The people living away from the north pole would have their living conditions inclined in order to meet such a force. It would feel like you are trying to clime up a steeper and steeper hill. Contary to belief you wouldn't fall off the edge due to the gravitationial vector pointing back towards the north pole, the actual fear would be falling off the edge and rolling back towards the center as shown in the picture above.
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2015 5:36:21 AM

I support a piecewise, paraconsistent flat earth, Rubikx. Every bit I stand on is flat, but your bit may be curved in ways you may not be able to perceive,

Doubt me? I can prove it!

Imagine a gooshy stress-ball on a desk.

For metaphysical reasons you may not yet be ready to understand I am the desk!!!! Or if I am not, I met the desk once, and he gave me desklike authority. Or if I didn't meet the desk, I have studied scholars who have assured me that if I only believe faithfully, I can certainly attain desklike privilege, which I am more than ready to claim.

Stand with me, Rubikx, and you too can be on -- or reasonably near -- the desk!
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2015 10:33:10 AM

I had to go the Flat Earth Society website to see what their arguments consisted. I laughed till I cried. Here's how one guy summed it up with his one and only post on a thread titled: "TOP 10 REASONS Why We Know the Earth is Round" Debunked.

"Seriously, this board is so full of ignorance that I rank you guys lower than Creationists, and I thought that was as low as one could be. "

http://www.theflatearthsociety.org...

Here is there FAQ on the Flat Earth model. Pretty funny stuff.

"The evidence for a flat earth is derived from many different facets of science and philosophy. The simplest is by relying on ones own senses to discern the true nature of the world around us. The world looks flat, the bottoms of clouds are flat, the movement of the sun; these are all examples of your senses telling you that we do not live on a spherical heliocentric world. "

Bedford Level Experiment. In short, this was an experiment preformed many times on a six-mile stretch of water that proved the surface of the water to be flat.

...the space agencies of the world are involved in a conspiracy faking space travel and exploration

Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2015 2:23:44 PM
At 5/18/2015 10:33:10 AM, DanneJeRusse wrote:
I had to go the Flat Earth Society website to see what their arguments consisted. I laughed till I cried.

What a fun site! I can't tell how many members are serious, and how many are making art. :)
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2015 2:31:11 PM
At 5/18/2015 2:23:44 PM, RuvDraba wrote:
I had to go the Flat Earth Society website to see what their arguments consisted. I laughed till I cried.

What a fun site! I can't tell how many members are serious, and how many are making art. :)

This thread might show how serious some of them are...

Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2015 4:21:01 PM
At 5/18/2015 2:31:11 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:
At 5/18/2015 2:23:44 PM, RuvDraba wrote:
This thread might show how serious some of them are...

Thanks, Danne... From down in that thread:

What if flat Earthers want to ask a question about how something works on a round Earth? Like, "if the Earth is spinning, why don't we all fly off"?
That's what The Round Earth Society is for. In all seriousness though, the rare times we do ask questions to roundies, we are usually looking for a debate and would better fit it in Flat Earth Debate. That being said, if someone started a topic with "For Round-Earthers" in the title, I wouldn't have a problem with people giving the round-earth opinion. THAT being said, we are immersed in round-earth theory every day, I doubt we will be asking any questions about how it works. We all already know the round-earth model by heart.

I just want to thank you for finding a site that makes the Religion forum on DDO look halfway sane. :)
Frito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/30/2015 8:00:25 PM
I wrote on a nother argument, I'll paste this here. (Pardon my English and Writing, English is my second language) I agree that the flat earth theorists have their exaggerations. Dont be so close minded hear them out. Why jump to the conclusi"n of our planet being round? How about you yourself prove that it is round.

You say we have satellite images. What satellite images? I took the liberty into googling "Earth". Only found a few, noticed they all seem perfectly.

Isaac Newton himself didn't believe the Earth was round. Don't have sources. But I did get this article. http://www.scientificamerican.com........ Disprove it doesn't have bulges and is round as they come. Let me continue on with the pictures. Where's the so called space debree. The last thing I heard, we were sorrounded by debree, making it hard for satellites to orbit the planet..... One more thing, I thought we had stars, why is there nothing around the planet? Just pitch black.

You could say they were photoshoped, maybe... But were are the originals? I would love to see them. See how the earth really looks.

Proving the earth is round is a waste of time. You haven't been to space, you haven't seen Earth. Its ridiculous hearing this from my compatriots... "We have pictures", you say. Really?

Disproving the Earth is flat because you " believe", you can't see farther than the horizon, because the roundness of Earth blocks your view? .... Ever heard of linear perspective? No? I'll give an example as an explanation. Imagine your on the flat plain. Ever noticed that an item that gets farther away looks smaller? It will get smaller and smeller, until it gets to the vanishing point. It will disappear out of your view. But I'll give you this.... If the Earth is flat. Let's do an experiment.... Lets get a very powerful microscope and point it at the horizon. Can we see anything beyond? Mind you... If you are able to see beyond, that disproves the round earth. I thought if something was round, it is at an angle.. We shouldn't be able to see at an angle lower than us.

Plz be open, read, do some math. Don't explain something on beliefs. Educated people look into thongs first.

I'm ashamed of my fellow humans, who scream and call these people stupid and crazy. -_-
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2015 1:01:35 PM
At 5/30/2015 8:00:25 PM, Frito wrote:
I wrote on a nother argument, I'll paste this here. (Pardon my English and Writing, English is my second language) I agree that the flat earth theorists have their exaggerations.

No, they are not exaggerations, they are outright unsupported denials.

Dont be so close minded hear them out.

We have heard them out, they have absolutely nothing to say other than denials.

Why jump to the conclusi"n of our planet being round? How about you yourself prove that it is round.

You say we have satellite images. What satellite images?

No one has jumped to that conclusion, it is well known fact.

I took the liberty into googling "Earth". Only found a few, noticed they all seem perfectly.

Perfectly round? Not quite, but with a bulge in the middle. From any point around it? Does that give you a clue?

Isaac Newton himself didn't believe the Earth was round. Don't have sources. But I did get this article. http://www.scientificamerican.com........

Yes, Newton was correct in that the Earth was not "perfectly" round.

Disprove it doesn't have bulges and is round as they come. Let me continue on with the pictures. Where's the so called space debree. The last thing I heard, we were sorrounded by debree, making it hard for satellites to orbit the planet.....

Yes, the debris is in orbit moving a very fast speeds, if any of it hits the atmosphere, it usually burns up.

One more thing, I thought we had stars, why is there nothing around the planet? Just pitch black.

That is the same effect astronomers experience if they are trying to view through their telescopes when the moon is out, it's called "glare" and it comes off the surface of the earth when those pictures are being taken, thus the stars don't show.

You could say they were photoshoped, maybe... But were are the originals? I would love to see them. See how the earth really looks.

Proving the earth is round is a waste of time.

Yes, considering that proof is now a well known fact.

You haven't been to space, you haven't seen Earth. Its ridiculous hearing this from my compatriots... "We have pictures", you say. Really?

The earth was shown to be round without pictures.

Disproving the Earth is flat because you " believe", you can't see farther than the horizon, because the roundness of Earth blocks your view? .... Ever heard of linear perspective? No? I'll give an example as an explanation. Imagine your on the flat plain. Ever noticed that an item that gets farther away looks smaller? It will get smaller and smeller, until it gets to the vanishing point. It will disappear out of your view. But I'll give you this.... If the Earth is flat. Let's do an experiment.... Lets get a very powerful microscope and point it at the horizon.

Why not just point a powerful telescope at the horizon, we should be able to see Kilimanjaro on one side and Fuji on the other, that is, if the earth was flat.

Can we see anything beyond? Mind you... If you are able to see beyond, that disproves the round earth. I thought if something was round, it is at an angle.. We shouldn't be able to see at an angle lower than us.

Plz be open, read, do some math. Don't explain something on beliefs. Educated people look into thongs first.

I'm ashamed of my fellow humans, who scream and call these people stupid and crazy. -_-

They are stupid and crazy. It's really quite hilarious.
Kryptic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2015 5:19:18 AM
You can't 'beat' those who believe the earth is flat, however you can use the same logic against them. "I believe the earth is actually a rubix-cube, the seasons are the 4 different colours being moved around creating temperature differences because of the colours. The gravity is installed through the rotation of the axis and a centripetal force.
All of the stars are just holes in the top of the rubix-cube where my god, an 8 year old school student is on his desk with it.

the reason the stars appear to be in the same space is due to relativity on earth, it appears to be moving slower from our perspective then from what it really is. Earthquakes happen when the rubix cube jams, the oceans are here due to the kids tears... I mean what 8 year old plays with a rubix cube? he obviously gets picked on.

As a result of his tears, Abiogenesis has taken place and we have life. we are in the image of our god, our lord and saviour... school yard kid.

ALL HAIL SCHOOL YARD KID.

I have a bible with scriptures that suggest this all happened the way I said, I hear from my god the school yard kid. he told me to be steadfast with my faith and not to waver to any of these 'flat earthers'. He said that they are all nonsense.

And I believe him because my book says, and my book says that my book is true.
Soon, this 8 year old will grow up, have a son and he will be in charge, but until then. our god is the truth, the way and the light.
Lexus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2015 5:22:49 AM
A lot of 'proof' that the flat earth has is discounting theories for a rounded earth.
If there is proof X for a rounded earth, you can say that proof X doesn't necessarily only prove a rounded earth, but could actually be used to prove a flat earth.
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2015 5:23:55 PM
This thread reminds me of an old joke told in Cosmology circles.

I cannot recall were I first heard it. It might have been in a Hawking book. Or Paul Davies, or one of those guys.

Anyway........

A famous and well-respected world-leading Cosmologist is finishing his lecture on the nature of the Earth and its place in the Universe. He asks if there are any questions.

An elderly lady tentatively raises her hand and says, "You fancy college boys think you are so smart with all of your hgh-fallutin' science talk about galaxies and black holes and big bangs, but you are all wrong. I know the truth! The Earth is actually a flat disk, sitting on the back of a giant turtle!"

The scientist smiles obligingly, and not wanting to insult the woman or make fun of her, plays along for a bit.

"Then perhaps, madam, you would be kind enough to tell us what the turtle is standing on?"

The woman smiles and says, "You can't fool me with your fancy questions. The answer is easy: it's turtles all the way down!"
Science Flies Us to the Moon. Religion Flies us Into Skyscrapers.
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2015 5:29:11 PM
BTW...I believe the Hubble pics erased any possible argument the flat earth wackos could mount.

And all those airline pilots over the past 70 years! LOL

And the Coriolis Effect.

And all those merchant seamen over the past 600 years.

As well as anybody who still has a couple of brain cells bumpin' around.

Of course, I am not so sure that belief in an imaginary BFF sky god who actually cares about us and keeps tabs on our actions and thoughts is any more outlandish than believing the Earth is flat.

It might even be worse.
Science Flies Us to the Moon. Religion Flies us Into Skyscrapers.
Littlemamacruzat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/28/2015 12:31:00 AM
Posted: 11 months ago

I am a legitimate believer in the flat earth. I have been researching this for about the last 3-4 months straight just about every waking moment that I am not at work. I have been trying to wrap my head around the whole thing and what it implies if we do live on a flat earth.
Littlemamacruzat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/28/2015 4:15:40 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 5/30/2015 8:00:25 PM, Frito wrote:
I wrote on a nother argument, I'll paste this here. (Pardon my English and Writing, English is my second language) I agree that the flat earth theorists have their exaggerations. Dont be so close minded hear them out. Why jump to the conclusi"n of our planet being round? How about you yourself prove that it is round.

You say we have satellite images. What satellite images? I took the liberty into googling "Earth". Only found a few, noticed they all seem perfectly.

Isaac Newton himself didn't believe the Earth was round. Don't have sources. But I did get this article. http://www.scientificamerican.com........ Disprove it doesn't have bulges and is round as they come. Let me continue on with the pictures. Where's the so called space debree. The last thing I heard, we were sorrounded by debree, making it hard for satellites to orbit the planet..... One more thing, I thought we had stars, why is there nothing around the planet? Just pitch black.

Proving the earth is round is a waste of time. You haven't been to space, you haven't seen Earth. Its ridiculous hearing this from my compatriots... "We have pictures", you say. Really?

Disproving the Earth is flat because you " believe", you can't see farther than the horizon, because the roundness of Earth blocks your view? .... Ever heard of linear perspective? No? I'll give an example as an explanation. Imagine your on the flat plain. Ever noticed that an item that gets farther away looks smaller? It will get smaller and smeller, until it gets to the vanishing point. It will disappear out of your view. But I'll give you this.... If the Earth is flat. Let's do an experiment.... Lets get a very powerful microscope and point it at the horizon. Can we see anything beyond? Mind you... If you are able to see beyond, that disproves the round earth. I thought if something was round, it is at an angle.. We shouldn't be able to see at an angle lower than us.

Thank you so much for this! What I find so frustrating is that people just laugh and make fun and talk about how ridiculous and idiotic flat-earthers are without even looking into it. When they do this it makes them seemed so close-minded without even giving another theory a chance. I have seen some really cruel things written about and to flat-earthers. I can't even explain what it is that makes them so hostile. When I first heard of the flat earth, I too thought it was ridiculous, but I listened and eventually changed my mind. I am so glad I did. I guess to so people ignorance is bliss. I am always looking for the truth! Thanks again!