Total Posts:22|Showing Posts:1-22
Jump to topic:

An idea for a Universal Intelligence....

Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2015 4:08:14 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I originally posted this thread on the Religion forum, as I was unsure where it would best fit. Since it seems to be a hybrid thread straddling the lines between science AND religion. But as I was afraid of, some of the religious zealots have hijacked it over there. So I thought I might try it here. (MODS--please delete the thread on the Religious Forum if you like!)

And..yeah..I know my following idea is actually devoid of any "provable" science right now, But I have some thoughts on how it might work. Recall that there are many sorts of "fields" out there, especially in the EM category, that would have been completely undetectable to humans only four or five generations ago.

So here it is..........thanks!

As some of you may already be aware from my posts on matters theological, I am an atheist. That is, firmly of the belief that no sort of personal, biblical God exists. This includes Allah, as well as the murderous Yahweh. I readily and vociferously equate the probability of their existences with that of, say, Zeus. Or Thor. Or Odin.

And that probability would look something like a 0.0001% chance.

But in matters regarding ANY sort of a "higher power" or "Universal Force" or "Creative Intelligence"--I am a good deal less sure of its non-existence. That is to say, I consider myself Agnostic in regards to this Deistic sort of Power. I think that, if there is anything AT ALL out there--something other than nothing--it would be a non-personal, non-caring Creative Intelligence who, while responsible for the Underlying Perfection and Creation of the Cosmos, does not, nee, CANNOT, intervene in human affairs.

With a caveat!

This force can be...oh..how to say? "Tapped into" mentally, perhaps trough meditation or aforethought--so long as one's motivations are pure, non-violent or harmful. In other words, "in synch" with the Purpose of the Universe. And that would be harmony and growth and creativity. And most important of all, maximizing the potential this Force imbued is with at birth.

The German philosopher/writer Goethe once said, "Be bold, and mighty forces shall come to your aid."

Perhaps he was speaking of something like I described?

How would this work? This being empowered by tapping into the Force? Well, I am not sure. Perhaps, though, there is actually a scientific, a physics-based source to it. I have flirted with an idea that tapping in might involve our minds getting on the same frequency (for lack of a better word) as the Force.

I suppose that of all the world's religions, the one that comes closest to my Deistic idea here would be Taoism. Indeed, Taoism is my favorite of all the world's religions. By far. I am really not sure it can be called a religion, however.

So...here on DDO we frequently see arguments between atheists and Believers. But what I am proposing here is a sort of compromise. (Not that that is my intention, or why I like (sometimes) this idea of a Creative Intelligence.

Come to think of it, many Native American religions have similar dynamics to what I am proposing here.

I must add that I am a firm believer in Evolution, and feel that this Force may have lent a sort of guiding hand to it. But most likely only at the very beginning. After that, the Creative Inelligence (I will henceforth call it my CreaTel) has pretty much played the role of an absentee landlord.

Unless it is tapped into, that is.

I welcome some thoughts on this? Ideas? Modifications to my theory? (well, not really a full-blown theory. Maybe only a hypothesis at this point.) Questions?

Thanks for your time!
Science Flies Us to the Moon. Religion Flies us Into Skyscrapers.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2015 4:30:02 PM
Wishful thinking.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2015 8:15:57 PM
At 6/6/2015 4:30:02 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:
Wishful thinking.

They used to say that about space travel; cell phones; TV; flight; pictures like we have gotten from Hubble; medical imaging; vaccines; and microwave ovens.

Oh..but those are manmade. So how about an idea like the Big Bang? A heliocentric rather than a geocentric solar system. Black Holes; Quasars; Pulsars; the fact that there are hundreds of billions of Galaxies, each with hundreds of billions of stars--which are--some of them--suns to planets.

All those things were tantamount to science fiction at one time.

Yet they now exist! Wow!

But see...great minds, OPEN minds. Curious minds. Say, minds unlike yours, conceived of these things. And rescued them from the annals if sci-fi and then thrust them into the glorious world of REAL science.

Because, see? It is great minds that postulate things and research and try to solve.

And medium size minds sit back and watch. Or do nothing.

And then, finally, at the bottom of the intellectual food chain, little teeny tiny minds--like yours--sit back and criticize and refuse to entertain possibilities.

You know, something anybody can do. And I have found that it is usually the ones with the least amount of education who engage in this practice with the most propensity.

But thanks!
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2015 8:18:18 PM
Oh yeah..

Take a hike, troglodyte.

You really used to moderate an internet forum?

Had that much time on your hands, eh?

LOL.

Must be nice.

Moderate, eh. Reminds me of the old adage about those who can't "do" usually teach.
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2015 10:33:29 PM
At 6/6/2015 4:08:14 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:
I originally posted this thread on the Religion forum, as I was unsure where it would best fit. Since it seems to be a hybrid thread straddling the lines between science AND religion. But as I was afraid of, some of the religious zealots have hijacked it over there. So I thought I might try it here. (MODS--please delete the thread on the Religious Forum if you like!)

And..yeah..I know my following idea is actually devoid of any "provable" science right now, But I have some thoughts on how it might work. Recall that there are many sorts of "fields" out there, especially in the EM category, that would have been completely undetectable to humans only four or five generations ago.

So here it is..........thanks!

As some of you may already be aware from my posts on matters theological, I am an atheist. That is, firmly of the belief that no sort of personal, biblical God exists. This includes Allah, as well as the murderous Yahweh. I readily and vociferously equate the probability of their existences with that of, say, Zeus. Or Thor. Or Odin.

And that probability would look something like a 0.0001% chance.

But in matters regarding ANY sort of a "higher power" or "Universal Force" or "Creative Intelligence"--I am a good deal less sure of its non-existence. That is to say, I consider myself Agnostic in regards to this Deistic sort of Power. I think that, if there is anything AT ALL out there--something other than nothing--it would be a non-personal, non-caring Creative Intelligence who, while responsible for the Underlying Perfection and Creation of the Cosmos, does not, nee, CANNOT, intervene in human affairs.

With a caveat!

This force can be...oh..how to say? "Tapped into" mentally, perhaps trough meditation or aforethought--so long as one's motivations are pure, non-violent or harmful. In other words, "in synch" with the Purpose of the Universe. And that would be harmony and growth and creativity. And most important of all, maximizing the potential this Force imbued is with at birth.

The German philosopher/writer Goethe once said, "Be bold, and mighty forces shall come to your aid."

Perhaps he was speaking of something like I described?

How would this work? This being empowered by tapping into the Force? Well, I am not sure. Perhaps, though, there is actually a scientific, a physics-based source to it. I have flirted with an idea that tapping in might involve our minds getting on the same frequency (for lack of a better word) as the Force.

I suppose that of all the world's religions, the one that comes closest to my Deistic idea here would be Taoism. Indeed, Taoism is my favorite of all the world's religions. By far. I am really not sure it can be called a religion, however.

So...here on DDO we frequently see arguments between atheists and Believers. But what I am proposing here is a sort of compromise. (Not that that is my intention, or why I like (sometimes) this idea of a Creative Intelligence.

Come to think of it, many Native American religions have similar dynamics to what I am proposing here.

I must add that I am a firm believer in Evolution, and feel that this Force may have lent a sort of guiding hand to it. But most likely only at the very beginning. After that, the Creative Inelligence (I will henceforth call it my CreaTel) has pretty much played the role of an absentee landlord.

Unless it is tapped into, that is.

I welcome some thoughts on this? Ideas? Modifications to my theory? (well, not really a full-blown theory. Maybe only a hypothesis at this point.) Questions?

Thanks for your time!

You've been watching too many Star Wars repeats. May the force be with you. Lol.
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2015 2:17:50 AM
At 6/6/2015 8:15:57 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:
At 6/6/2015 4:30:02 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:
Wishful thinking.

They used to say that about space travel; cell phones; TV; flight; pictures like we have gotten from Hubble; medical imaging; vaccines; and microwave ovens.

No they didn't. These are all technological developments which arose from scientific discoveries. I'm fairly sure that has nothing to do with your semi-theological musings.

Oh..but those are manmade. So how about an idea like the Big Bang? A heliocentric rather than a geocentric solar system. Black Holes; Quasars; Pulsars; the fact that there are hundreds of billions of Galaxies, each with hundreds of billions of stars--which are--some of them--suns to planets.

All those things were tantamount to science fiction at one time.

Um, they were discoveries found by observing the physical universe. Not a single one of them came from contemplating one's navel as you are doing.

Yet they now exist! Wow!

But see...great minds, OPEN minds. Curious minds. Say, minds unlike yours, conceived of these things. And rescued them from the annals if sci-fi and then thrust them into the glorious world of REAL science.

Rubbish. You have it backwards. Real science is done by taking real-world observations and forming testable hypotheses to account for them. It is not done by "conceiving" wild ideas and then trying to persuade others that these ideas have some basis in fact. Crackpots think like that.

The only exceptions to this are inventions extrapolated from recent technological advances. For example the science-fiction writer Arhur C. Clarke anticipated the communications satellite before the means for putting one in orbit was available. However, again, I don't think we are discussing inventions, right?

Because, see? It is great minds that postulate things and research and try to solve.

Great minds like yours? Lol.

And medium size minds sit back and watch. Or do nothing.

Um, we can't all be engaged in fundamental scientific research. That doesn't mean we have to accept whatever woo is on offer from untrained and undisciplined minds like yours.

And then, finally, at the bottom of the intellectual food chain, little teeny tiny minds--like yours--sit back and criticize and refuse to entertain possibilities.

Science-fiction is written for entertainment. You seem to think that its purpose is to map out the future. Surely you jest.

You know, something anybody can do. And I have found that it is usually the ones with the least amount of education who engage in this practice with the most propensity.

Methinks you have it backwards again. It is the ones with little scientific background who engage in this game of "please take my crackpot ideas seriously" because "science". Lol.

But thanks!

You're most welcome.
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2015 8:00:07 PM
You miss the point entirely that today we have many many things which we take for granted that at one time were thought of as merely the whimsical products of science fiction writers.

And we have also discovered NATURAL entities--um..that means NOT manmade, since you seem to need some help here in the cognition arena--that we once we sure did not exist. Or vice versa, as with the ether and the Mickleson-Morley Experiements.

UVB radiation. Hm..once unheard of. We knew nothing about it. Yet, we became able to DETECT it. Neutrinos. Atoms. The Suns solar wind. All things that always existed but up until very recently--insofar as the big picture of the time span that man has been on Earth--we could not detect them.

So...who is to say that my "CreaTel" may not simply be another entity in that pantheon of naturally occurring phenomena?

You and JeRusse should get a room at the Narrow Mind Motel. Snuggle up and see if you can get a few brain cells clicking together.

Thanks!
Floid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2015 8:17:31 PM
At 6/7/2015 8:00:07 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:
You miss the point entirely that today we have many many things which we take for granted that at one time were thought of as merely the whimsical products of science fiction writers.

And we have also discovered NATURAL entities--um..that means NOT manmade, since you seem to need some help here in the cognition arena--that we once we sure did not exist. Or vice versa, as with the ether and the Mickleson-Morley Experiements.

UVB radiation. Hm..once unheard of. We knew nothing about it. Yet, we became able to DETECT it. Neutrinos. Atoms. The Suns solar wind. All things that always existed but up until very recently--insofar as the big picture of the time span that man has been on Earth--we could not detect them.

So...who is to say that my "CreaTel" may not simply be another entity in that pantheon of naturally occurring phenomena?

You and JeRusse should get a room at the Narrow Mind Motel. Snuggle up and see if you can get a few brain cells clicking together.

Thanks!

From the perspective of science we all agree with we don't know it all and that there are plenty of things that will be discovered in the future for which we have no inkling today. The problem is that in the context of science that doesn't give you license to make up whatever you like.
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2015 8:21:22 PM
At 6/7/2015 8:17:31 PM, Floid wrote:

Thanks!

From the perspective of science we all agree with we don't know it all and that there are plenty of things that will be discovered in the future for which we have no inkling today. The problem is that in the context of science that doesn't give you license to make up whatever you like.

Read my OP again, Einstein.

I ended it by asking for opinions on my idea. I did not state it as a fact and claim it to be scientifically valid. Which pretty much renders as a non-sequtur your claim I was making up what I like and claiming it to belong to the realm of the scientifically and empirically proven.
MrVan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2015 10:21:20 PM
There is no reason to believe that the universe required any kind of intelligence to create it. While it isn't impossible, I kind of agree that it's wishful thinking. It's just about as likely as the idea that we live inside a computer simulation, or that nothing really exists outside our own consciousness. That said, I think this thread belongs in the philosophy forums.

The idea that we can somehow tap into this intelligence through meditation like the force or whatever is pseudo-scientific garbage though.
Ramshutu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2015 11:41:29 PM
At 6/6/2015 4:08:14 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:

And..yeah..I know my following idea is actually devoid of any "provable" science right now,

Just to let you know, I wanted to stop reading here, knowing that what I was going to read was probably a waste of time. I was not disappointed.

What you have done, is invented a number of "out there" concepts that you have no reason to suspect are real, for no discernable logical reason: it does not solve any problems, or provide an explanation for any facets of life.

As such it's firmly placed in the "weird fiction/speculation section not worth addressing" section of my brain.
Floid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2015 6:25:28 AM
At 6/7/2015 8:21:22 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:

Thanks!

I ended it by asking for opinions on my idea. I did not state it as a fact and claim it to be scientifically valid. Which pretty much renders as a non-sequtur your claim I was making up what I like and claiming it to belong to the realm of the scientifically and empirically proven.

My opinion is you are just making something up for which there is currently no evidence It also seems by some of the descriptions you use that you don't have a deep understanding of physics, such as "same frequency (for lack of a better word) as the Force".
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2015 11:13:08 AM
At 6/8/2015 6:25:28 AM, Floid wrote:
At 6/7/2015 8:21:22 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:

Thanks!

My opinion is you are just making something up for which there is currently no evidence It also seems by some of the descriptions you use that you don't have a deep understanding of physics, such as "same frequency (for lack of a better word) as the Force".

Well, sure..I guess in a way I am "making stuff up" with my ideas on the CreaTel.

That is, this notion is of my own ideas...built upon the tenets of Taoism and Pierre Teilhard de Charidin's "Noosphere." With a dash of Sheldrake's Morphic Resonance tossed in for good measure.

BTW: Although not fully documented as of yet--like, say, those UVB Rays were a mere three generations ago, or the existence of the planet Pluto a couple hundred years ago; or the fact the Earth is a sphere a millennium ago; those ideas I referenced above have shown some merit. Albeit controversial.

So what? Controversial is what makes the scientific world go 'round, amigo.

If you are at all interested in stuff like my CreaTel, ya might want to check-out that Noosphere I mentioned. It is a shame that De Chardin died long before he could elaborate more on it. He was a Catholic priest, by the way--although I try not to hold that against him. LOL.

As far as your parroting on thee being no evidence for any of this I will leave you with one of my favorite movie quotes. Tommy Lee Jones from MIB.......

Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew
the Earth was the center of the universe.
Five hundred years ago,
everybody knew the Earth was flat,
and fifteen minutes ago,
you knew that humans were alone on this planet.
Imagine what you'll know tomorrow.
Floid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2015 11:29:31 AM
At 6/8/2015 11:13:08 AM, Saint_of_Me wrote:

Well, sure..I guess in a way I am "making stuff up" with my ideas on the CreaTel.

That is, this notion is of my own ideas...built upon the tenets of Taoism and Pierre Teilhard de Charidin's "Noosphere." With a dash of Sheldrake's Morphic Resonance tossed in for good measure.

BTW: Although not fully documented as of yet--like, say, those UVB Rays were a mere three generations ago, or the existence of the planet Pluto a couple hundred years ago; or the fact the Earth is a sphere a millennium ago; those ideas I referenced above have shown some merit. Albeit controversial.

If you are able to draw a logical link between the idea "at one time people didn't know Pluto existed and yet it does" to "no one currently knows my fantasyland CreaTel exists and therefore it is a valid scientific hypothesis" there is no amount of rational discussion that is going to persuade you.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2015 11:33:13 AM

Simple, those who discover things like neutrinos, atoms, the solar wind etc. are scientists who have an education, whereas you are just some pseudo-scientific woo woo who pretends.

Thanks!
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2015 11:41:36 AM
At 6/8/2015 11:29:31 AM, Floid wrote:

If you are able to draw a logical link between the idea "at one time people didn't know Pluto existed and yet it does" to "no one currently knows my fantasyland CreaTel exists and therefore it is a valid scientific hypothesis" there is no amount of rational discussion that is going to persuade you.

**sigh**

Again.

Didn't I say from the gitgo in my OP that my idea did not even qualify as a theory? Or maybe even not a hypothesis? But was merely an idea of mine? (ya ever have 'em?)

But I still do not see why my Pluto or UVA metaphors are not valid? They are both examples of somethings that were always out there but took quite a while for us to detect. So why not a CreaTel? Do you know of some scientific law that is preventing it?

I don't.

We know the brain is comprised of neurotransmitters that act as electrolytes. The brain is imbued with electricity, albeit a mild charge. Measured in micro-volts.

We also know that not only the atmosphere and stratosphere and exosphere, but that the known Galaxy contains all manner of electro-magnetic and photonic frequencies. Pulsars and neutron stars which emanate huge amounts of energy. Light. Plasma. Electricity. Look at the fundamentals of lightning.

So what exactly prevents that, among ALL this, there does not exist some as-yet-undetectable Force that can sometimes become enmeshed with the electro-magnetic field that we might emit. That is if the "frequency" (wavelength) created by our brain's electrolytes are in synch?

Electricity is a hobby of mine. SO is lightning. I used to chase it, like those guys in the movie Twister. Me and another dude in a van during the summer of my senior year in college. Amazing stuff that. I could post some facts on it that would wow you.

Did you know that that little snap you get when you touch a doorknob on a dry day can be as high as 10,000 volts? That's NOT a type, amigo. Ten thousand.

So if you didn't know that, which I am almost sure you didn't, what else don't you know?

LOL
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2015 11:45:58 AM
At 6/8/2015 11:33:13 AM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

Simple, those who discover things like neutrinos, atoms, the solar wind etc. are scientists who have an education, whereas you are just some pseudo-scientific woo woo who pretends.

Thanks!

I know all about atoms and quarks and neutrinos, thanks.

And those scientists? LOL. Did you know that back in the day almost all of them were philosophers and mystics as well? Many of them even among the Church. Before the scientific community became so money-driven with its "publish or perish" zeitgeist, most scientists had a mystic quality within them. This lead to some amazing and momentous discoveries.

Look at guys like Pythagoras. A mystic of huge proportions. And, if memory serves, he graced us with a couple of pretty good ideas. LOL

Open your mind. You'll thank me for it someday, vato.

Peace.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2015 3:08:36 PM

Yes, that's called woo woo nonsense.

So what? Controversial is what makes the scientific world go 'round, amigo.

That's entirely false, amigo.

If you are at all interested in stuff like my CreaTel, ya might want to check-out that Noosphere I mentioned. It is a shame that De Chardin died long before he could elaborate more on it. He was a Catholic priest, by the way--although I try not to hold that against him. LOL.

As far as your parroting on thee being no evidence for any of this I will leave you with one of my favorite movie quotes. Tommy Lee Jones from MIB.......

Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew
the Earth was the center of the universe.
Five hundred years ago,
everybody knew the Earth was flat,
and fifteen minutes ago,
you knew that humans were alone on this planet.
Imagine what you'll know tomorrow.
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2015 3:12:56 PM
Yawn.

You bore me. Like most atheists.

I would rather debate with somebody who is a religious zealot. Or given to metaphysical and paranormal beliefs. Being in the mental health field, that I find far more interesting and engaging. Or people who create threads on interesting and arguable subjects.

Yawwnnnnnnn........ZZZZZzzzzzzzzz.

Buenas noches, amigo.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2015 3:21:42 PM
At 6/8/2015 11:45:58 AM, Saint_of_Me wrote:
At 6/8/2015 11:33:13 AM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

Thanks!

I know all about atoms and quarks and neutrinos, thanks.

Yes, you probably read those terms on the internet somewhere, but you clearly have no understanding of them.

And those scientists? LOL. Did you know that back in the day almost all of them were philosophers and mystics as well? Many of them even among the Church. Before the scientific community became so money-driven with its "publish or perish" zeitgeist, most scientists had a mystic quality within them. This lead to some amazing and momentous discoveries.

Comparing shamans of old to today's scientist as anything remotely similar is absurd.

Look at guys like Pythagoras. A mystic of huge proportions. And, if memory serves, he graced us with a couple of pretty good ideas. LOL

You have graced us with unintelligible garbage, so far.

Open your mind. You'll thank me for it someday, vato.

Don't let your brains fall out, if you have any.

Peace.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2015 3:24:57 PM
At 6/8/2015 3:12:56 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:
Yawn.

You bore me. Like most atheists.

You insult our intelligence, like most woo woos.

I would rather debate with somebody who is a religious zealot. Or given to metaphysical and paranormal beliefs.

Of course, you would, then you could both wallow in each others nonsensical drivel.

Being in the mental health field, that I find far more interesting and engaging.

You mean, a kid still in high school living in his parents basement.

Or people who create threads on interesting and arguable subjects.

That wouldn't be you, then.

Yawwnnnnnnn........ZZZZZzzzzzzzzz.

Buenas noches, amigo.