Jump to topic:

The Stuff the Dreams Are Made Of!

Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2015 12:58:50 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I am currently working on a paper for my grad school Psych class on Dream Analysis. Or rather, on what dreams actually mean? Anything? Or there indeed Universal meanings to the symbology that comprise our dreams. What the psychiatrist Carl Jung called "Collective Archetypes." Where a particular symbol or icon or mythos has the same meaning for all?

Are dreams our Subconscious's way of talking to us? Advising us? Since it is its only chance to communicate with us, really, since our Conscious and our Ego are in control during our waking hours.

Do our Dreams hold the answers to our deepest questions, doubt, and desires? Can we learn from them and lead better lives?

Or are they merely our brain's equivalent of your PC's CPU and memory shutting down and saving all its files--to be stored for use and access later on? Simply the brain's time of the day when it can sift through the day's events and decide where to file them?
(This is the belief of most neuro-scientists who do not ascribe to the first school of thought concerning the useful symbols.)

What do YOU think?
Science Flies Us to the Moon. Religion Flies us Into Skyscrapers.
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2015 1:15:19 PM
At 6/8/2015 12:58:50 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:
I am currently working on a paper for my grad school Psych class on Dream Analysis. Or rather, on what dreams actually mean? Anything? Or there indeed Universal meanings to the symbology that comprise our dreams. What the psychiatrist Carl Jung called "Collective Archetypes." Where a particular symbol or icon or mythos has the same meaning for all?

Are dreams our Subconscious's way of talking to us? Advising us? Since it is its only chance to communicate with us, really, since our Conscious and our Ego are in control during our waking hours.

Do our Dreams hold the answers to our deepest questions, doubt, and desires? Can we learn from them and lead better lives?

Or are they merely our brain's equivalent of your PC's CPU and memory shutting down and saving all its files--to be stored for use and access later on? Simply the brain's time of the day when it can sift through the day's events and decide where to file them?
(This is the belief of most neuro-scientists who do not ascribe to the first school of thought concerning the useful symbols.)

What do YOU think?

It's your mind wandering whenever you're not in conscious control over your thoughts.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2015 3:02:46 PM
At 6/8/2015 1:15:19 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

What do YOU think?

It's your mind wandering whenever you're not in conscious control over your thoughts.

But why does nearly everybody have the same certain dreams? Like: going to school or work naked? LOL. Or not being able to run--feeling like you are in quicksand or water? Or Falling? Or teeth falling out? Or being late for a test?

Some say these are examples of the Collective Archetype Jung spoke of.

And it has been proven that our subconscious holds tremendous sway on our actions. So does it not stand to reason that it should try to communicate with us. Through dreams?
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2015 6:25:51 AM
Maybe our dreams are made of our subconscious desires, hope and fantasies or our worst fears which haunt us in our dreams/ nightmares?

Maybe they are the result of too much junk food affecting our brains due to poisoning the body with an overdose of some chemicals, artificial flavoring, coloring, preservatives etc, which we would not naturally digest if we did not consume all the processed foods but stuck to totally natural foods.

As for dream symbolism, I think humans have a tendency to create meaning where there is none because humans like to believe their life is meaningful.

People automatically relate certain things to other things. Why do we do it? Is it because we "gather" what is generally accepted and taken for granted in life without formally learning about them?
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2015 5:16:31 PM
At 6/9/2015 6:25:51 AM, Skyangel wrote:
Maybe our dreams are made of our subconscious desires, hope and fantasies or our worst fears which haunt us in our dreams/ nightmares?

Maybe they are the result of too much junk food affecting our brains due to poisoning the body with an overdose of some chemicals, artificial flavoring, coloring, preservatives etc, which we would not naturally digest if we did not consume all the processed foods but stuck to totally natural foods.

As for dream symbolism, I think humans have a tendency to create meaning where there is none because humans like to believe their life is meaningful.

People automatically relate certain things to other things. Why do we do it? Is it because we "gather" what is generally accepted and taken for granted in life without formally learning about them?

Do you accept the idea that our subconscious actually "runs the show?" And that it demands to be heard? And that we ignore it--that is, our base and most primal desires--at our own peril? Jung spoke of accepting our dark side or being destroyed by it. We have seen this throughout history countless times. The preacher or Televangelist who is caught with a hooker and an eight ball in a seedy motel room. the pederast priests.
The woman with a phobia-like fear of catching cancer, but then moves to a town with a chemical waste dump next door and catches it. (This last dynamic on why this sort of thing happens OFTEN is a bit different from the "dark side" dynamic, but it still has to do with our subconscious

I could it explain reasons for the "toxic waste dump" scenario later, if you like. It is far more common, and indeed recognized by psychologists, than you might know.)
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2015 5:19:28 PM
At 6/8/2015 1:15:19 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

What do YOU think?

Hmm..the term"mind wandering" is not very accurate.

It would be closer to the truth to say that when your cognition actions of the brain are not engaged, that other parts of your brain try to "get your attention" by ramping-up the neurotransmitter activity that facilitates them. This includes memory banks--as stored in the hippocampus--as well as the Subconscious.
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2015 5:21:15 PM
A nice littler primer on the nuances of the Subconscious, with minimal technical jargon.

Check it out!

http://www.lifetrainings.com...
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2015 6:40:18 PM
At 6/9/2015 5:16:31 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:
At 6/9/2015 6:25:51 AM, Skyangel wrote:

Do you accept the idea that our subconscious actually "runs the show?" And that it demands to be heard? And that we ignore it--that is, our base and most primal desires--at our own peril? Jung spoke of accepting our dark side or being destroyed by it. We have seen this throughout history countless times. The preacher or Televangelist who is caught with a hooker and an eight ball in a seedy motel room. the pederast priests.

There could be some truth to that idea. I am not opposed to it at all. However if the subconscious runs the show, none of us would be aware that it does due to it being subconscious. If we become aware that it does, it is no longer subconscious but conscious.
Does our consciousness make us aware of our subconsciousness or vice versa?
Which controls which ?
Are the two intertwined in such a way that they make up all of what we call consciousness and are as inseparable as night and day which make up the whole day?
Is there a dark side to our consciousness as well as a light side and it is that dark side people call subconsciousness due to not knowing exactly what it is and how it works or how to control it ?
Is the subconscious the source of "evil desires" or instincts which people try to hide due to consciously judging that "dark side" as evil and blaming it for making them do evil things because they do not know how to control it or subject it to their own consciousness in order for the consciousness to run the show instead of letting the subconscious run the show?
IF the conscious conscience does not run the show why do people feel the need to hide their dark side/ subconscious desires? Would there be a need to do that if you were conscious of a clear conscience?
It seems the only reason to do that is because you are conscious of a guilty conscience. 32

The woman with a phobia-like fear of catching cancer, but then moves to a town with a chemical waste dump next door and catches it. (This last dynamic on why this sort of thing happens OFTEN is a bit different from the "dark side" dynamic, but it still has to do with our subconscious

I could it explain reasons for the "toxic waste dump" scenario later, if you like. It is far more common, and indeed recognized by psychologists, than you might know.)

There seems to be a lot of truth in the principle of "According to your faith be it unto you " or "The thing you fear will come upon you"
It seems people draw to themselves the things they truly believe or fear will happen to them.
Is it the power of belief which draws the thing you believe in or fear toward you and make your own fears or dreams come true? Can we change what happens to us by changing our beliefs or overcoming our fears? OR.. are the things we truly believe in the result of some subconscious premonition or intuition which is making us aware of what will happen to us whether we want to believe it or not?

We all believe we will die physically. Some fear death and some do not. It makes no difference if we fear it and believe it or not, it will happen to us anyway.
If we do not believe we will die, will we still die or will our thoughts and memories live on without our bodies due to them being sound and picture waves which end up floating through the air where they can be tuned into or not by people who learn to tune in to the innumerable thoughts and ideas "out there"? Thoughts cannot be killed like a body can. Thoughts can enter many bodies at the same time and be processed in those bodies and recycled as new thoughts. One thought leads to another in the great cycle of life which is constantly recycling itself.
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2015 1:25:25 PM
"Dreams are often most profound when they seem the most crazy."
-Sigmund Freud