Jump to topic:

Is time scientifically going faster?

ClashnBoom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2015 9:02:33 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
I really want to know because it feels like yesterday was just January but now it's June. Is it only me feeling this way? Or is it something psychological. Or maybe it's some physical change in our solar system. Please tell me the answer.
I will change my sig weekly. Week 4.

Fun fact of the week
Clumsy alien Jar Jar Binks was introduced in The Phantom Menace for comic relief, but he was initially a two-faced mercenary who was to betray Qui-Gon Jinn, a Jedi Master played by Liam Neeson.

Joke of the week:
Nerd 1: "Why can't you trust atoms?"
Nerd 2: : "Cause they make everything up!"
chui
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2015 11:07:42 AM
At 6/11/2015 9:02:33 AM, ClashnBoom wrote:
I really want to know because it feels like yesterday was just January but now it's June. Is it only me feeling this way? Or is it something psychological. Or maybe it's some physical change in our solar system. Please tell me the answer.

There is some evidence that your perception of the passing of time changes with age. For example a young child waiting for something good to happen eg getting to a destination will complain that it is taking ages whereas adults are more able to cope with waiting. Also as life gets busier time is perceived to move quicker.

If time physically were moving quicker we would not notice since all measures of time would also speed up. ie we would think quicker, react quicker, clocks speed up, we move faster.

In summary : you are getting old.
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2015 1:06:07 PM

I have often wondered this myself, as strange as the notion is when first considered.

After all, most of us are of the belief that time is not an actual physical entity, but only a mere passing of event. With a past, present and future.

But, as virtually anybody--even the most hardened skeptic would admit, as we get older it sure seems to increase in speed; to go faster.

But riddle me this: If, as Stephen Hawking and even Albert Einstein and many other physicists and Cosmologists claim, Time IS a physical entity, and in fact an integral part of the Space Time Continuum, then why could not it speed-up, just as the expansion of the Universe--witnessed by Red Shift--is doing?

Especially since we have relatively recently discovered an entity called Dark Energy, which along with Dark Matter--discovered a few decades ago--are now thought to comprise some 90% of the "known" Universe?

Seems we now know that there is more that we do not know!

So maybe the STC is stretching and expanding and "speeding up" (increasing in its velocity.)

This idea has some signficant problems.

What about atomic clocks? Which use the crazy-high number of vobrations per millisecond to measure time to within an accuracy of something like one-thousandth of a second every 100 years? Would they acknowledge the proposed speeding-up of time? Or prove it to be false?

And if time is going faster then the way in which we calculate our days and months and years would have to, by proxy, go faster as well. Doesn't this mean that the rotation AND the orbit of the Earth--and of the Moon around the Earth would all also have to increase in their respective velocities?

We have no evidence of this and it seems to fly in the face of Newtonian Laws.

But would the government TELL US if time were speeding up? Maybe they already are aware it is? It would certainly seem to be to their advantage to keep a lid on such information.

Lastly: skeptics of this notion are going to claim that there is a very simple, and alas, disappointingly boring answer to the riddle of why time seems to fly as we age: and that is: as we get older we have a larger and larger percentage of our lives behind us, instead of in front of us, as it is with children, who do not seem to experience the feeling of time flying. But rather, the very opposite.

Good Thread! Thanks.
Science Flies Us to the Moon. Religion Flies us Into Skyscrapers.
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2015 1:07:49 PM
Hey JeRusse!

Are you proud of me? I just did a semi-lengthy post on Time and did not once measure Project Swiss Watch. LOL.

Although, I do admit I was tempted.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2015 1:47:59 PM
At 6/11/2015 1:06:07 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:

But riddle me this: If, as Stephen Hawking and even Albert Einstein and many other physicists and Cosmologists claim, Time IS a physical entity, and in fact an integral part of the Space Time Continuum, then why could not it speed-up, just as the expansion of the Universe--witnessed by Red Shift--is doing?

Cosmological redshift is the result of light traveling over many light years distance, it's not a local effect. Gravity and velocity, both local effects are the two things that affect time, so they, if anything, will demonstrate any effect on time for us.

We observe this effect in GPS satellite clocks.

Especially since we have relatively recently discovered an entity called Dark Energy, which along with Dark Matter--discovered a few decades ago--are now thought to comprise some 90% of the "known" Universe?.

Seems we now know that there is more that we do not know!

So maybe the STC is stretching and expanding and "speeding up" (increasing in its velocity.)

This idea has some signficant problems.

What about atomic clocks? Which use the crazy-high number of vobrations per millisecond to measure time to within an accuracy of something like one-thousandth of a second every 100 years? Would they acknowledge the proposed speeding-up of time? Or prove it to be false?

And if time is going faster then the way in which we calculate our days and months and years would have to, by proxy, go faster as well. Doesn't this mean that the rotation AND the orbit of the Earth--and of the Moon around the Earth would all also have to increase in their respective velocities?

We have no evidence of this and it seems to fly in the face of Newtonian Laws.

But would the government TELL US if time were speeding up? Maybe they already are aware it is? It would certainly seem to be to their advantage to keep a lid on such information.

Lastly: skeptics of this notion are going to claim that there is a very simple, and alas, disappointingly boring answer to the riddle of why time seems to fly as we age: and that is: as we get older we have a larger and larger percentage of our lives behind us, instead of in front of us, as it is with children, who do not seem to experience the feeling of time flying. But rather, the very opposite.

Good Thread! Thanks.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2015 1:49:41 PM
At 6/11/2015 1:07:49 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:
Hey JeRusse!

Are you proud of me? I just did a semi-lengthy post on Time and did not once measure Project Swiss Watch. LOL.

Perhaps, you're starting to develop a conscience.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2015 2:27:38 PM

perception of time is probably related to memory. If you have no memories, would you have a perception of time passed?

Could be your memory is worsening or due to attention being focused you are not creating as many memories to track time with. It is definitely you though. I have been on the road since January and too me that seems a life time ago.
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2015 3:37:40 PM
At 6/11/2015 1:49:41 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:
At 6/11/2015 1:07:49 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:
Hey JeRusse!

Perhaps, you're starting to develop a conscience.

$hit!

I hate it when that happens!
Electric-Eccentric
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2015 6:03:34 PM
I read the title and it gave me the giggles as I view it as asking if santa claus is well hung.

TIME is mostly a ILLUSION.

It is people that are trying to move faster and try and KEEP UP with the illusions of TIME.

TIME is a man made concept, just as santa, the tooth fairy, easter bunny, invisible gods in the sky and the many other made up things and concepts.

We now have in THIS season of mankind stressed out masses trying to believe that if they can just dig a bit faster, longer and harder that they will come out on top.

The dog chasing it's tale and if you can design the perfect magic wand or lucky charm that you can then use it to solve ALL your problems.

but in answer to your question, the answer is both yes and no. All depending on how you view it.

from a scienterriffic viewpoint or from a grown up & mature point of reality and truth.

is santa well hung? only the mind of science has a theory on that.
Life is what YOU make it,
Most just try and fake it...
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2015 8:33:59 PM
At 6/11/2015 6:03:34 PM, Electric-Eccentric wrote:
I read the title and it gave me the giggles as I view it as asking if santa claus is well hung.

TIME is mostly a ILLUSION.

It is people that are trying to move faster and try and KEEP UP with the illusions of TIME.

TIME is a man made concept, just as santa, the tooth fairy, easter bunny, invisible gods in the sky and the many other made up things and concepts.

We now have in THIS season of mankind stressed out masses trying to believe that if they can just dig a bit faster, longer and harder that they will come out on top.

The dog chasing it's tale and if you can design the perfect magic wand or lucky charm that you can then use it to solve ALL your problems.

but in answer to your question, the answer is both yes and no. All depending on how you view it.

from a scienterriffic viewpoint or from a grown up & mature point of reality and truth.

is santa well hung? only the mind of science has a theory on that.

Oh...time is real all right. A bit more than an illusion.

Doubt it. Go back in time and slap that high school phys ed teacher that kept riding you.

Or to that job interview 12 years ago with that Fortune 400 Company that you turned down.

Or eight years ago when that special loved on died and you were not there.

Or......back to 1969 to place all that money on the Miracle Mets to win the Series and make a bundle of dinero!

Or FF to November of next year and let us know who our next POTUS is gonna be. SO I can leave the country if it is Hillary. LOL.

It is all well and good to wax philosophical on time being an illusion, but as far as us mere mortals is concerned, it is very real. And not changeable.

Well, except, as JeRusse will attest, for some guys out in Aurora, CO in a deal called Project Swi..........
Electric-Eccentric
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2015 10:18:30 PM
I will side with Albert Einstein on the reality of what is called time.
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2015 12:46:08 AM
At 6/11/2015 10:18:30 PM, Electric-Eccentric wrote:
I will side with Albert Einstein on the reality of what is called time.

Ditto.
ClashnBoom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2015 6:31:33 AM
At 6/11/2015 11:07:42 AM, chui wrote:

There is some evidence that your perception of the passing of time changes with age. For example a young child waiting for something good to happen eg getting to a destination will complain that it is taking ages whereas adults are more able to cope with waiting. Also as life gets busier time is perceived to move quicker.

If time physically were moving quicker we would not notice since all measures of time would also speed up. ie we would think quicker, react quicker, clocks speed up, we move faster.

Wait. Wait. Wait. Does this mean after a few years time will feel even more short and will stay that way till I die? And is 19 really that old?

Fun fact of the week
Clumsy alien Jar Jar Binks was introduced in The Phantom Menace for comic relief, but he was initially a two-faced mercenary who was to betray Qui-Gon Jinn, a Jedi Master played by Liam Neeson.

Joke of the week:
ClashnBoom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2015 6:34:26 AM
At 6/11/2015 2:27:38 PM, slo1 wrote:

perception of time is probably related to memory. If you have no memories, would you have a perception of time passed?

Could be your memory is worsening or due to attention being focused you are not creating as many memories to track time with. It is definitely you though. I have been on the road since January and too me that seems a life time ago.

That's probably it because only a three big events happened to me this year. But if that's the case then way is all my friends feeling the same way?

Fun fact of the week

Joke of the week:
Bennett91
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2015 7:38:36 AM

Time is a matter of perspective. But as we age we experience time faster. This short video helps explain it.
ClashnBoom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2015 10:01:55 AM
At 6/12/2015 7:38:36 AM, Bennett91 wrote:

Time is a matter of perspective. But as we age we experience time faster. This short video helps explain it.

Well that was depressing. But is that just a theory or is it proven? And how come my little brother feels the same way? And why don't babies 1-3 years old remember much?

Fun fact of the week

Joke of the week:
Bennett91
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2015 4:33:36 PM
At 6/12/2015 10:01:55 AM, ClashnBoom wrote:
At 6/12/2015 7:38:36 AM, Bennett91 wrote:

Well that was depressing. But is that just a theory or is it proven?

It's just a mathematical explanation for our subjective perspective. Science has no tangible domain here. It's just a consensus that people seem to think as they get older time goes by faster. It's not really going faster, it just feels like it.

And how come my little brother feels the same way?

Probably because peer pressure from you and confirmation bias. Or depending on age he may be having the same experience instead.

And why don't babies 1-3 years old remember much?

Research suggests because babies are rapidly forming their brains this transition makes it hard to retain early memories. Babies are kinda faced with sensory overload on a daily basis given that everything they do is new to them, so when 'milestones' become the norm it's hard to remember them.
PeacefulChaos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2015 9:08:55 PM
At 6/11/2015 11:07:42 AM, chui wrote:

This seems to be true in larger scales, too. When I was still in elementary school, an entire school year felt 10x longer than it does now.

Maybe it's because we can readily reflect back to when we first started the beginning of the year/month, thus shortening the time in our own perspectives.
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2015 11:15:22 PM
Time seems to go faster the older you get. At my age, years click by like pages in an animation flip book.

Scientifically, time is defined completely by the way it is measured. A second is a specified number of vibration of a cesium atom under specified conditions, and nothing else. So if everything in the universe sped up, there would be no way to tell.
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2015 1:30:11 AM

The passage of time is illusory and a product of psychology. As we age, biologically time seems to pass faster. That's perfectly described somewhere in this debate of mine:

http://www.debate.org...
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass
Sidewalker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2015 5:12:17 AM

As we age a certain period of time becomes less and less of our total lived experience on a percentage basis, so for instance the experience of a year for a two year old is half of their entire lived experience, and to a fifty year old it's just 2%. I think we experience time going quicker as we age because the experience of a certain period of time is compared to our experience of time as a whole and so the same period becomes less and less of the total on a percentage basis as we age..

"Scientifically" time is actually slowing down, but not in a perceptible way, and certainly not in the manner you described. The currently accepted cosmological theory of time is derived from the General Theory of Relativity. According to the General Theory of Relativity space and time are not absolute and uniform; they are relative to a frame of reference. Generally accepted theory tells us that the time/space continuum has been expanding since the "Big Bang". What this means is that the temporal frame of reference of "the beginning" is dramatically different from our temporal frame of reference. From the beginning frame of reference, time has been expanding exponentially since the beginning; and this relationship would be inverted from our frame of reference, so time would be compressing, or "speeding up" so to speak.

The General Theory provides a mathematical framework that allows us to quantify the expansion of the space/time continuum relative to our frame of reference; it tells us that each time the universe doubled in time and space, the perception of time is halved from our frame of reference. The General Theory calculates the initial ratio of time between our frame of reference and the frame of reference of the beginning, to be equal to the ratio between the temperature of quark confinement (10.9 times 10 to the twelfth power Kelvin) to the temperature of the universe today (2.73 degrees Kelvin). What this means is in the course of the last 15 billion years of our reference frame, there has been a time from an earlier frame of reference when a billion years from one frame of reference would be the equivalent of a single 24 hour day from another frame of reference, but the changes are relative to reference frames and they are on cosmological scales, nothing noticeable in our lifetime even if we could see it from both frames. So on cosmological scales, this is significant, but it's a matter trillions and trillionths of a fraction of a second during our entire lifetime and it is not perceivable from our frame of reference anyway, but the fact it, scientifically speaking, time is actually speeding up relative to earlier frames of reference.
"It is one of the commonest of mistakes to consider that the limit of our power of perception is also the limit of all there is to perceive." " C. W. Leadbeater
ClashnBoom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2015 5:26:16 AM
Thanks everyone. Now I'm twice as sad now. I hoped you would say I felt that too but it's normal and next year would be different.

Fun fact of the week

Joke of the week:
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2015 2:57:22 PM
It's possible that the brain could be altered to make time seem to pass slower (which would be both a blessing and a curse).
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
Sidewalker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2015 9:02:26 PM
At 6/13/2015 5:26:16 AM, ClashnBoom wrote:
Thanks everyone. Now I'm twice as sad now. I hoped you would say I felt that too but it's normal and next year would be different.

We DID say that, and next year WILL BE different, time will seem to go even faster, and you'll be even older.

But you can take comfort in knowing that one of these days it will stop happening...because eventually you will die.

)
"It is one of the commonest of mistakes to consider that the limit of our power of perception is also the limit of all there is to perceive." " C. W. Leadbeater
ClashnBoom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2015 9:11:17 PM
At 6/13/2015 9:02:26 PM, Sidewalker wrote:
At 6/13/2015 5:26:16 AM, ClashnBoom wrote:

We DID say that, and next year WILL BE different, time will seem to go even faster, and you'll be even older.

But you can take comfort in knowing that one of these days it will stop happening...because eventually you will die.

)

Yay. Death.

Fun fact of the week

Joke of the week:
Electric-Eccentric
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2015 12:35:03 AM
The feeling of TIME going faster or slower CAN be controlled by choice as it IS WITHIN the mind.

There are MANY things you can do and understand when you leave the superstition behind as that is what FILTERS what people view and try and believe is some sort of reality.

I play with TIME all the TIME as I have a great understanding of the illusion as well as the deceptions and lies that most call good and how that makes them blind to any Truth or Facts that might get in the way of their choice of ?reality?...