Jump to topic:

Any recommended books on...

SNP1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2015 1:48:53 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
I am not too good at math, but I am growing more and more interested in chaos theory. I am wondering if anyone knows any good books on chaos theory and the mathematics behind it that I can read to learn about it? Thanks in advance.
#TheApatheticNihilistPartyofAmerica
#WarOnDDO
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2015 6:54:58 AM
SNP, not a text, but what looks like an interesting documentary, linked at right. Entitled High Anxieties - The Mathematics of Chaos and broadcast by the BBC, if you haven't seen it, at 59min, I hope it might be useful.
UndeniableReality
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2015 8:17:59 AM
At 6/15/2015 1:48:53 AM, SNP1 wrote:
I am not too good at math, but I am growing more and more interested in chaos theory. I am wondering if anyone knows any good books on chaos theory and the mathematics behind it that I can read to learn about it? Thanks in advance.

It really depends on what your background in math is.
SNP1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2015 10:16:30 AM
At 6/15/2015 8:17:59 AM, UndeniableReality wrote:

Some calculus, though not too much.
#TheApatheticNihilistPartyofAmerica
#WarOnDDO
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2015 12:50:08 PM

Well...It is going to be a tad difficult to delve into Chaos too deeply without encountering at least a little bit of Math--as it IS a branch of Mathematics.

Since Chaos deals with how tiny variations in initial conditions of a given system can have a significant outcome on the final product, you are going to run into some Math on "rates of change." Thus, a bit of Calculus. And some Thermodynamics; as well a probability theory. Bayesian stuff, and some Statistical Math, too.

But I just finished a pretty good and reader-friendly (minimal math) book on Choas last month by a guy named Garnett Williams, called "Chaos Theory Tamed."

Here it is, along with some others...............

http://www.amazon.com...

http://www.amazon.com...
Science Flies Us to the Moon. Religion Flies us Into Skyscrapers.
UndeniableReality
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2015 1:13:53 PM
At 6/15/2015 10:16:30 AM, SNP1 wrote:
At 6/15/2015 8:17:59 AM, UndeniableReality wrote:

Some calculus, though not too much.

I think you need a minimum of linear algebra (understanding vector spaces), vector calculus, partial and ordinary differential equations, basic topology and graph theory, and some introductory probability theory to learn chaos theory in a rigorous way.

However, my school teaches a course that introduces chaos theory in 3rd year, and the only prerequisite is advanced calculus (calculus 3 for pure math students). I've never taught it or TAed for it, so I don't know exactly what it covers.

If you're looking for more of a layperson's book on chaos theory, I have no idea, but SoM had a suggestion, and hopefully it is a good one.
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2015 4:07:14 PM
Synchronicity strikes again! LOL

I just got back from lunch and a co-worker was reading this in the cafeteria.......

She says it is fun and has minimal of the dreaded math.............

I have read Gleick before, and he IS good at writing for non-science guys.

here it is...........

https://www.goodreads.com...
Science Flies Us to the Moon. Religion Flies us Into Skyscrapers.