Total Posts:9|Showing Posts:1-9
Jump to topic:

what is macroevolution?

belle
Posts: 4,113
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2010 1:29:38 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
seriously, tell me. its driving me crazy here. how is macroevolution different from microevolution over long timescales? if anyone can explain this to me i will be eternally greatful. because it appears to me that no matter how much evidence we find for evolution, its filed as "microevolution" and macroevolution is still apparently impossible. explain to me how and why this is not just a panicked effort at moving the goalposts reliant on the fact that human lifespans are FAR too short to observe the effects of microevolution over long time periods...
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
tkubok
Posts: 5,044
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2010 1:54:37 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/13/2010 1:29:38 PM, belle wrote:
seriously, tell me. its driving me crazy here. how is macroevolution different from microevolution over long timescales? if anyone can explain this to me i will be eternally greatful. because it appears to me that no matter how much evidence we find for evolution, its filed as "microevolution" and macroevolution is still apparently impossible. explain to me how and why this is not just a panicked effort at moving the goalposts reliant on the fact that human lifespans are FAR too short to observe the effects of microevolution over long time periods...

Macroevolution is essentially speciation. It is the change in genome at a species-scale. Where Microevolution compares individual, closely related genome sequences, most often from parent to offsrping, Macroevoution compare the genes of different species.

Does that clear it up?
belle
Posts: 4,113
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2010 1:57:53 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/13/2010 1:54:37 PM, tkubok wrote:
Macroevolution is essentially speciation. It is the change in genome at a species-scale. Where Microevolution compares individual, closely related genome sequences, most often from parent to offsrping, Macroevoution compare the genes of different species.

Does that clear it up?

so iow- it is microevolution with the details blurred... its looking at long term trends rather than individual mutations. yeah?

this thread was actually kind of a joke but no one took the bait. i was trying to get one of those anti-evolutionists from the other thread to explain themselves rather than hiding behind the term.

i guess it was overly optimistic of me to think that they would....
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
tkubok
Posts: 5,044
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2010 2:02:43 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/13/2010 1:57:53 PM, belle wrote:
At 8/13/2010 1:54:37 PM, tkubok wrote:
Macroevolution is essentially speciation. It is the change in genome at a species-scale. Where Microevolution compares individual, closely related genome sequences, most often from parent to offsrping, Macroevoution compare the genes of different species.

Does that clear it up?

so iow- it is microevolution with the details blurred... its looking at long term trends rather than individual mutations. yeah?

this thread was actually kind of a joke but no one took the bait. i was trying to get one of those anti-evolutionists from the other thread to explain themselves rather than hiding behind the term.

i guess it was overly optimistic of me to think that they would....

Oh, sorry for crushing your dreams...

In any case, i have no problem with the distinction, as long as people use it right. Its why i like to ask Creationists, what the definition for Macroevolution, and Speciation are, because i am convinced that they are the same thing.
jharry
Posts: 4,984
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2010 2:54:07 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/13/2010 2:02:43 PM, tkubok wrote:
At 8/13/2010 1:57:53 PM, belle wrote:
At 8/13/2010 1:54:37 PM, tkubok wrote:
Macroevolution is essentially speciation. It is the change in genome at a species-scale. Where Microevolution compares individual, closely related genome sequences, most often from parent to offsrping, Macroevoution compare the genes of different species.

Does that clear it up?

so iow- it is microevolution with the details blurred... its looking at long term trends rather than individual mutations. yeah?

this thread was actually kind of a joke but no one took the bait. i was trying to get one of those anti-evolutionists from the other thread to explain themselves rather than hiding behind the term.

i guess it was overly optimistic of me to think that they would....

Oh, sorry for crushing your dreams...

In any case, i have no problem with the distinction, as long as people use it right. Its why i like to ask Creationists, what the definition for Macroevolution, and Speciation are, because i am convinced that they are the same thing.

Both are false. A makers hand in His creation is the way I see it.
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen
tkubok
Posts: 5,044
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2010 3:23:41 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/13/2010 2:54:07 PM, jharry wrote:
At 8/13/2010 2:02:43 PM, tkubok wrote:
At 8/13/2010 1:57:53 PM, belle wrote:
At 8/13/2010 1:54:37 PM, tkubok wrote:
Macroevolution is essentially speciation. It is the change in genome at a species-scale. Where Microevolution compares individual, closely related genome sequences, most often from parent to offsrping, Macroevoution compare the genes of different species.

Does that clear it up?

so iow- it is microevolution with the details blurred... its looking at long term trends rather than individual mutations. yeah?

this thread was actually kind of a joke but no one took the bait. i was trying to get one of those anti-evolutionists from the other thread to explain themselves rather than hiding behind the term.

i guess it was overly optimistic of me to think that they would....

Oh, sorry for crushing your dreams...

In any case, i have no problem with the distinction, as long as people use it right. Its why i like to ask Creationists, what the definition for Macroevolution, and Speciation are, because i am convinced that they are the same thing.

Both are false. A makers hand in His creation is the way I see it.

If thats all you have to back up your argument, then you must be right!
jharry
Posts: 4,984
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2010 5:13:21 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/13/2010 3:23:41 PM, tkubok wrote:

If thats all you have to back up your argument, then you must be right!

And don't you forget it. I was wondering when you would realize I'm always right, this is much easier and less painful if you just learn to submit to me.
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen
I-am-a-panda
Posts: 15,380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2010 5:33:43 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/13/2010 5:13:21 PM, jharry wrote:
At 8/13/2010 3:23:41 PM, tkubok wrote:

If thats all you have to back up your argument, then you must be right!

And don't you forget it. I was wondering when you would realize I'm always right, this is much easier and less painful if you just learn to submit to me.

It's official, jharry likes BDSM and Rape.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
jharry
Posts: 4,984
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2010 5:39:11 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/13/2010 5:33:43 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 8/13/2010 5:13:21 PM, jharry wrote:
At 8/13/2010 3:23:41 PM, tkubok wrote:

If thats all you have to back up your argument, then you must be right!

And don't you forget it. I was wondering when you would realize I'm always right, this is much easier and less painful if you just learn to submit to me.

It's official, jharry likes BDSM and Rape.

And you like it too don't ya. After the other night I figured you change your name to I-am-jharry's-_itch. Ha ha.
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen