Science Test Challenge!

Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2015 9:58:33 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
My Fellow Science buffs....

I was wondering if there is some way we could find an online Science Quiz? One that we could all take--those who wish to play--and then post our results? As a sort of contest! All in good fun of course.

I am game. There are a couple of guys around here who I would love to hammer in such a quiz. I would be amenable to a general science quiz, or one on any of these topics: "Cosmology; Evolution; General Biology; Psychology; Computer Science; Physics,

Whatever. Name it. Let's Go. I also welcome ANY ideas on how we could do this honestly, and make sure our REAL scores on our FIRST test attempt are posted.

I say this last part not because I don't trust y'all. But rather, since I am confident on winning this thing, do not want to be accused of being less than honest.

What say you? Are ya game?

Thanks!

Drew
Science Flies Us to the Moon. Religion Flies us Into Skyscrapers.
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2015 10:08:07 PM
RuvDrava....Undeniable Reality....De Em......Wylted......Mr Van....Envisage....Ramshutu...SamStevens....

You guys I think seem to be among the most knowledgeable on Science around here. (Apologies to anybody I forgot). I am hoping I can count on you to engage in this deal, which I think would be fun.

And interesting.

Thanks again.
Ramshutu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2015 10:23:56 PM
At 6/28/2015 9:58:33 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:

I was wondering if there is some way we could find an online Science Quiz? One that we could all take--those who wish to play--and then post our results? As a sort of contest! All in good fun of course.

I am game. There are a couple of guys around here who I would love to hammer in such a quiz. I would be amenable to a general science quiz, or one on any of these topics: "Cosmology; Evolution; General Biology; Psychology; Computer Science; Physics,

Whatever. Name it. Let's Go. I also welcome ANY ideas on how we could do this honestly, and make sure our REAL scores on our FIRST test attempt are posted.

I say this last part not because I don't trust y'all. But rather, since I am confident on winning this thing, do not want to be accused of being less than honest.

Thanks!

Drew

The problem isn't ignorance, or stupidity. The problem is one of honesty.

For someone, for example, makes an ignorant comment about evolution; for example by making an analogy to cars and saying they look designed; people here generally point out the problem with that argument; sometimes at length.

However, this answer is NEVER directly challenged. It is either ignored, an argument is made against it that doesn't really challenge it because it is either unrelated, or skirts around it. Sometimes the subject is changed altogether, and a completely different argument is presented (if you look carefully, these people do this a LOT, and it avoids them going back and conceeding their original point!)

Moreover, most of those arguing against Evolution for example, either do not care what it actually is; or already know what it is but portray it dishonestly anyway. Either way, what is presented is a simplistic, inaccurate characture straw-men that can be argued against, because what Evolution actually is cannot be.

It's like arguing against a parent that their child is dumb. It's dumb, you know it's dumb; the parents know it's dumb; but they will defend to their death that their child is smart anyway because it isn't about the facts for the parent, it is about the emotional need to believe it.

While I can't tell you whether there is a test out there, I can tell you that there won't be one that is as broad as you want it to be, and certainly there will not be one that ANY of the people you want to take will take; and it's why the challenge I've put to the few people here about portraying evolution honestly (to V3nesl, and Skyangel) have been ignored or waved off: It will either show that they don't know what they're talking about, or it will show that they're dishonest and as such, they're all smart enough to know that there is no good reason for them to take it.

You will get a lot of "I don't have to do a test to show I know science, I know science", and similar arguments.
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2015 10:37:57 PM
At 6/28/2015 10:23:56 PM, Ramshutu wrote:

Thanks!

Drew

For someone, for example, makes an ignorant comment about evolution; for example by making an analogy to cars and saying they look designed; people here generally point out the problem with that argument; sometimes at length.

However, this answer is NEVER directly challenged. It is either ignored, an argument is made against it that doesn't really challenge it because it is either unrelated, or skirts around it. Sometimes the subject is changed altogether, and a completely different argument is presented (if you look carefully, these people do this a LOT, and it avoids them going back and conceeding their original point!)

Moreover, most of those arguing against Evolution for example, either do not care what it actually is; or already know what it is but portray it dishonestly anyway. Either way, what is presented is a simplistic, inaccurate characture straw-men that can be argued against, because what Evolution actually is cannot be.

It's like arguing against a parent that their child is dumb. It's dumb, you know it's dumb; the parents know it's dumb; but they will defend to their death that their child is smart anyway because it isn't about the facts for the parent, it is about the emotional need to believe it.

While I can't tell you whether there is a test out there, I can tell you that there won't be one that is as broad as you want it to be, and certainly there will not be one that ANY of the people you want to take will take; and it's why the challenge I've put to the few people here about portraying evolution honestly (to V3nesl, and Skyangel) have been ignored or waved off: It will either show that they don't know what they're talking about, or it will show that they're dishonest and as such, they're all smart enough to know that there is no good reason for them to take it.

You will get a lot of "I don't have to do a test to show I know science, I know science", and similar arguments.

Oh...I harbored no illusions of those two DDO members you mentioned agreeing to take the test. As I do not consider them at all knowledgeable on anything science-related.

And you are most likely correct about what the overall reaction will be regarding this test. I did not mean it to be any sort of proven yardstick on "who knows the most about science." LOL. Irealize no one test can be that comprehensive. I just thought it might be fun.

I guess I could just find one of the hundreds of Internet Sciecne quizzes out there and take one and share my scores and share the link for others. But I was hoping we might come up with something a but more controlled.

Anyway..thanks for your quick response. I am going to give this a few days and see how it plays out.

Drew
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2015 10:42:03 PM
At 6/28/2015 10:37:57 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:

Thanks!

Drew

Oh...I harbored no illusions of those two DDO members you mentioned agreeing to take the test. As I do not consider them at all knowledgeable on anything science-related.

And you are most likely correct about what the overall reaction will be regarding this test. I did not mean it to be any sort of proven yardstick on "who knows the most about science." LOL. Irealize no one test can be that comprehensive. I just thought it might be fun.

I guess I could just find one of the hundreds of Internet Sciecne quizzes out there and take one and share my scores and share the link for others. But I was hoping we might come up with something a but more controlled.

Anyway..thanks for your quick response. I am going to give this a few days and see how it plays out.

Drew

Hey RAM...check this out! I just found it. Looks pretty good...100 questions or so. I did not look at it too long, just pasted the URL. I am not going to return to it either, until we maybe get a few guys on board who want to do it.

http://www.indiabix.com...
UndeniableReality
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2015 6:27:06 PM

Thanks!

Drew

I think this could be interesting. But I would like to recommend that we differentiate between factual knowledge, or science trivia, and understanding of science. Understanding of science is not as much about knowing a lot of facts that have been discovered scientifically or which are supported by scientific evidence as it is about understanding processes of obtaining knowledge, critical reasoning, formulating and testing hypotheses, managing uncertainty, evaluating the relevance, meaning, and quality of measurements and measurement methods, etc.

So I think a test of scientific understanding would be fun and interesting, but a test on science-related trivial would have results which are, well, trivial.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2015 6:31:16 PM
At 6/29/2015 6:27:06 PM, UndeniableReality wrote:

Thanks!

Drew

I think this could be interesting. But I would like to recommend that we differentiate between factual knowledge, or science trivia, and understanding of science. Understanding of science is not as much about knowing a lot of facts that have been discovered scientifically or which are supported by scientific evidence as it is about understanding processes of obtaining knowledge, critical reasoning, formulating and testing hypotheses, managing uncertainty, evaluating the relevance, meaning, and quality of measurements and measurement methods, etc.

So I think a test of scientific understanding would be fun and interesting, but a test on science-related trivial would have results which are, well, trivial.

Exactly. Couldn't have said that better.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2015 6:33:07 PM

Thanks!

Drew

But not fun?

Maybe you could suggest something less trivial and more comprehensive?
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2015 6:34:14 PM
At 6/29/2015 6:31:16 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

Thanks!

Drew

And HOW did I know you would opt out of this challenge? LOL.

Again...like with Vox and his homeschooling, it must be a tribute to my keen sense of the human psyche. (Or what passes for yours).
UndeniableReality
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2015 6:43:01 PM
At 6/28/2015 10:42:03 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:

Thanks!

Drew

Drew

Hey RAM...check this out! I just found it. Looks pretty good...100 questions or so. I did not look at it too long, just pasted the URL. I am not going to return to it either, until we maybe get a few guys on board who want to do it.

I finished the quiz, which seemed to be a quiz of facts related to chemistry, but it didn't give me a score at the end.
UndeniableReality
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2015 6:45:47 PM

Thanks!

Drew

I think you could have, but my point came across coherently enough =)

I did write trivial twice when I meant to write trivia and then trivial, though.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2015 6:48:01 PM
At 6/29/2015 6:43:01 PM, UndeniableReality wrote:

Thanks!

Drew

Drew

I finished the quiz, which seemed to be a quiz of facts related to chemistry, but it didn't give me a score at the end.

Check the menu left side of the page, there are 3 other categories to complete.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
UndeniableReality
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2015 6:49:14 PM
At 6/29/2015 6:48:01 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

Thanks!

Drew

Drew

Yep, I found that. But when you go to one of them, your answers on the previous section are reset. Have you tried completing all of them to see if a score was given?
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2015 6:49:44 PM
At 6/29/2015 6:45:47 PM, UndeniableReality wrote:

Thanks!

Drew

I think you could have, but my point came across coherently enough =)

I did write trivial twice when I meant to write trivia and then trivial, though.

Yeah, I caught that, but wasn't going to be the spelling policeman.
UndeniableReality
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2015 6:51:55 PM
At 6/29/2015 6:33:07 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:

Thanks!

Drew

But not fun?

Maybe you could suggest something less trivial and more comprehensive?

I haven't found anything yet, but I should get back to work. Let me know if you find something.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2015 7:25:28 PM
At 6/29/2015 6:49:14 PM, UndeniableReality wrote:

Thanks!

Drew

Drew

Yep, I found that. But when you go to one of them, your answers on the previous section are reset. Have you tried completing all of them to see if a score was given?

Sorry, no I didn't.
UndeniableReality
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2015 7:58:17 PM
At 6/29/2015 7:25:28 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

Thanks!

Drew

Drew

Sorry, no I didn't.

No worries, it takes time. It took me over 8 minutes just to do the first topic.
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2015 8:37:56 PM
At 6/29/2015 7:58:17 PM, UndeniableReality wrote:

Thanks!

Drew

Drew

Sorry, no I didn't.

No worries, it takes time. It took me over 8 minutes just to do the first topic.

I just did the 1st test--the Chemistry/Elements portion.

I got 52 out of 63 correct.

What;s that? A high "B"?
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2015 8:50:47 PM
At 6/29/2015 8:37:56 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:

Thanks!

Drew

Drew

Sorry, no I didn't.

What;s that? A high "B"?

Yeah, sure you did.

https://en.wikipedia.org...
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2015 8:53:09 PM
At 6/29/2015 8:50:47 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

Thanks!

Drew

Drew

Sorry, no I didn't.

What;s that? A high "B"?

Yeah, sure you did.

https://en.wikipedia.org...

Yep.

Shoulda done better. Two typos..or rather "mis-clicks" on easy ones I knew. Like the Pencil/graphite thing.

(Ohh..why am I explaining to you. You don't have the balls to take it and share.)

No offense, ma'am.
UndeniableReality
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2015 9:27:09 PM

Thanks!

Drew

Drew

Sorry, no I didn't.

What;s that? A high "B"?

A low 'A', if an 'A' is 80+.

Did you just count the number you got correct?
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2015 9:37:46 PM

Thanks!

Drew

Drew

I didn't like it. I think is for studying and not evaluation. It gives instant feedback when you click the wrong answer. I don't see how it could distinguish test takers on DDO.
UndeniableReality
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2015 9:43:41 PM
At 6/29/2015 9:37:46 PM, Mhykiel wrote:

Thanks!

Drew

Drew

I didn't like it. I think is for studying and not evaluation. It gives instant feedback when you click the wrong answer. I don't see how it could distinguish test takers on DDO.

I agree, and I think your assessment of its intended use is correct. More importantly, it doesn't say much about how well someone understands science.
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2015 9:46:17 PM

Thanks!

Drew

Drew

So..how did you do?

For what it's worth, I didn't like that drop-down box either on the wrong answers. Annoying, and it slowed the process. But like you say I too think it was designed as a study material.

I wish also it could "distinguish" DDO members and we could past our scores. Instead of just share them. Lends veracity. If you find a test that CAN do that, please share!
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2015 9:47:01 PM

Thanks!

Drew

Scientific understanding. You mean how a small group (cult) with their own language (scientific terms) and ritual practices tell other people what Science is?

You do know the practices and policies of academic professors and Phds don't embody the whole of science.

Hell I highly doubt Newton would be accepted as a scientist today.
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2015 9:48:34 PM
At 6/29/2015 9:27:09 PM, UndeniableReality wrote:

Thanks!

Drew

Drew

Sorry, no I didn't.

What;s that? A high "B"?

A low 'A', if an 'A' is 80+.

Did you just count the number you got correct?

Yes. I just counted my wrong answers (11) and subtracted from 63.

Was that not the correct scoring method?
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2015 9:52:26 PM

Thanks!

Drew

This is the saddest thing I found researching for this post.

http://www.pewresearch.org...

I scored a 13 out of 13. Which was better than 93% and the same as only 7% of all test takers.
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2015 9:55:35 PM
At 6/29/2015 9:52:26 PM, Mhykiel wrote:

Thanks!

Drew

This is the saddest thing I found researching for this post.

http://www.pewresearch.org...

I scored a 13 out of 13. Which was better than 93% and the same as only 7% of all test takers.

Me too! It was easy. Here is the paste......

Science and Technology Knowledge Quiz Results

You answered 13 of 13 questions correctly.
This quiz is a joint effort between the Pew Research Center and Smithsonian magazine.

BTW..Good job!
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2015 10:01:42 PM
At 6/29/2015 9:46:17 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:

Thanks!

Drew

Drew

So..how did you do?

I stopped on page 4. I didn't think it wasn't hitting the mark.

For what it's worth, I didn't like that drop-down box either on the wrong answers. Annoying, and it slowed the process. But like you say I too think it was designed as a study material.

I wish also it could "distinguish" DDO members and we could past our scores. Instead of just share them. Lends veracity. If you find a test that CAN do that, please share!

There's not much to enforce the truthfulness of what people post. And if someone takes it and scores low they won't share.

All you could hope for is that the generated interest in taking a test gets people to take a test then evaluate their own self image based on the results.