Jump to topic:

Hawking's A Brief History of Time

ben2974
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2015 9:23:49 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
I'm more than half way through the book and I've barely learned anything. It's so hard to understand . . .

Has anyone read the book? If you have, what are your thoughts on it?
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2015 10:04:45 AM
At 6/29/2015 9:23:49 AM, ben2974 wrote:
I'm more than half way through the book and I've barely learned anything. It's so hard to understand . . .

Sorry, haven't read it, but if there are concepts there you're not quite sure about, post them here and we'll try to help.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
Serato
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2015 11:19:39 AM
At 6/29/2015 10:04:45 AM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

Sorry, haven't read it, but if there are concepts there you're not quite sure about, post them here and we'll try to help.

Have you read a book called The Elegant Universe?
Ramshutu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2015 11:35:07 AM

I had to read it a couple of times, a lot of it makes sense, but it is quite hard to understand. I'd be happy to help if there are any concepts that aren't making sense.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2015 11:47:09 AM
At 6/29/2015 11:19:39 AM, Serato wrote:

No, I don't read the "pop" version of physics as they tend to confuse more than they explain. Some of the math for string theory is beyond me, but from what I do understand, it doesn't seem to be a hypothesis that can help explain much, I think it's a dead end, but I could be wrong about that. I'm much more interested in the research being done on quantum gravity and how it will marry General Relativity.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Serato
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2015 12:04:16 PM
At 6/29/2015 11:47:09 AM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

No, I don't read the "pop" version of physics as they tend to confuse more than they explain. Some of the math for string theory is beyond me, but from what I do understand, it doesn't seem to be a hypothesis that can help explain much, I think it's a dead end, but I could be wrong about that. I'm much more interested in the research being done on quantum gravity and how it will marry General Relativity.

It was mentioned in a movie I've recently watch. I've never heard of it but the movie was awesome, so I thought there might be something to the book.
ben2974
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2015 12:38:28 PM
At 6/29/2015 11:35:07 AM, Ramshutu wrote:

I had to read it a couple of times, a lot of it makes sense, but it is quite hard to understand. I'd be happy to help if there are any concepts that aren't making sense.

Every graphical illustration shown in the book is impossibly nonsensical to me rofl. I like his writing style, though.
ben2974
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2015 12:38:50 PM
At 6/29/2015 12:38:28 PM, ben2974 wrote:
At 6/29/2015 11:35:07 AM, Ramshutu wrote:

Every graphical illustration shown in the book is impossibly nonsensical to me rofl. I like his writing style, though.

Almost all*
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2015 1:26:00 PM
At 6/29/2015 12:04:16 PM, Serato wrote:

It was mentioned in a movie I've recently watch. I've never heard of it but the movie was awesome, so I thought there might be something to the book.

That figures. Every time someone comes up with an idea in physics, pop-sci writers love to get a hold of it, sensationalize it and use it for a movie or tv show, with the usual result being they wind up confusing people in the process, often because they themselves are confused.
Serato
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2015 2:25:43 PM
At 6/29/2015 1:26:00 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:
At 6/29/2015 12:04:16 PM, Serato wrote:

That figures. Every time someone comes up with an idea in physics, pop-sci writers love to get a hold of it, sensationalize it and use it for a movie or tv show, with the usual result being they wind up confusing people in the process, often because they themselves are confused.

I get what you're saying, but it wasn't like that. Maybe it was, I mean until I read the book I can't say for sure. The movie was called Limitless. It was about this person swallowing a pill that temporarily gave him full access to the farthest reaches of his brain. But it was his ex-wife when taking it, she merely mentioned having read the book in under an hour and fully understanding it. The movie wasn't about the book. It was about, more or less, super - human intelligence. But if the book sucks, then maybe your take is right.
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2015 4:08:42 PM

Actually String Theory has enjoyed quite a resurgence in popularity over the past few years, as the discovery of the Higgs Boson at the LHC in Cern a couple of years ago lent quite a but of credence to it.

As does the "M-Brane" and "multi-dimensional" Universe hypothesis. Another hypothesis in Physics and Cosmology which has gained popularity in recent years.

Too..the discovery of Dark Energy, if is showed is anything, it is that we probably did not know as much about the physics of Cosmology and Thermodynamics as we thought we did. There is some speculation that Dark Energy--which when combined with Dark Matter comprise over 90% of the Known Universe--might in the end be explained using some of the tenets of String Theory.
Science Flies Us to the Moon. Religion Flies us Into Skyscrapers.
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2015 4:10:34 PM

Great Book!

If you think you need a bit of help with it, see if you can lay your hands on a copy of this.......http://www.amazon.com...
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2015 4:17:18 PM
At 6/29/2015 4:08:42 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:

Actually String Theory has enjoyed quite a resurgence in popularity over the past few years, as the discovery of the Higgs Boson at the LHC in Cern a couple of years ago lent quite a but of credence to it.

As does the "M-Brane" and "multi-dimensional" Universe hypothesis. Another hypothesis in Physics and Cosmology which has gained popularity in recent years.

Too..the discovery of Dark Energy, if is showed is anything, it is that we probably did not know as much about the physics of Cosmology and Thermodynamics as we thought we did. There is some speculation that Dark Energy--which when combined with Dark Matter comprise over 90% of the Known Universe--might in the end be explained using some of the tenets of String Theory.

https://www.quantamagazine.org...
ben2974
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2015 5:01:01 PM
At 6/29/2015 4:10:34 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:

Great Book!

If you think you need a bit of help with it, see if you can lay your hands on a copy of this.......http://www.amazon.com...

OH I saw this at the library where I rented the book. I insisted for the original piece. Guess I should take a look at this afterall haha.
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2015 5:38:48 PM
At 6/29/2015 5:01:01 PM, ben2974 wrote:
At 6/29/2015 4:10:34 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:

Great Book!

OH I saw this at the library where I rented the book. I insisted for the original piece. Guess I should take a look at this afterall haha.

Hey..there is nuthin' wrong with that. It's not like it means you are dumb or anything--using a "companion" book. I had to do it all the time in undergrad school with physics. I also employed a tutor a couple of times.

Because..if you seek aid in understanding, and then DO "get it" you are, in the end, better off and have a better grasp of the topic then you would have. Thus: you are more knowledgeable!

Also..some stuff on youtube where they explain the book, like a primer.

Here is one of 'em...........https://www.youtube.com...
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2015 5:40:44 PM

A nice little primer video on QG. I co-worker turned me on to it a while back. It was a big help..............https://www.youtube.com...
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2015 6:06:57 PM

LOL. Did you get that from some pop-sci website? Sorry, but the Higgs does not support or give credence to or anything else for string theory, it actually supports the Standard Model. If anything, the Higgs shows some models of SUSY and MBrane are no longer required, which could mean a blow for string theory.

Popularity with who? Certainly not physicists. Those theories are losing ground as the Standard Model gets propped up.

LOL. String theory was supposed to explain everything, yet it explains nothing.

Go back to your lizard people and time machines.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2015 6:15:21 PM
At 6/29/2015 5:40:44 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:

A nice little primer video on QG. I co-worker turned me on to it a while back. It was a big help..............https://www.youtube.com...

Good for you! That was rather useless for me, though, as I knew that already some time ago when I was started learning physics.
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2015 6:18:05 PM
At 6/29/2015 6:06:57 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

LOL. Did you get that from some pop-sci website? Sorry, but the Higgs does not support or give credence to or anything else for string theory, it actually supports the Standard Model. If anything, the Higgs shows some models of SUSY and MBrane are no longer required, which could mean a blow for string theory.

Popularity with who? Certainly not physicists. Those theories are losing ground as the Standard Model gets propped up.

Do you even know what String Theory entails?

I am guessing not if you equate it with time machines.

You need to watch this. Do yourself a favor.

https://www.youtube.com...

(Hey..didja sign-up for my Science Test Challenge?)

I am guessing not.

LOL
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2015 6:22:27 PM
At 6/29/2015 6:18:05 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:
At 6/29/2015 6:06:57 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

Do you even know what String Theory entails?

Of what I do understand of string theory, it is leaps and bounds over what you'll ever understand of it, which is probably from some youtube video as opposed to the math.

I am guessing not if you equate it with time machines.

You need to watch this. Do yourself a favor.

https://www.youtube.com...

Yeah, I rest my case. LOL.

(Hey..didja sign-up for my Science Test Challenge?)

You mean, that high school test you linked? Thanks, but no thanks.

I am guessing not.

LOL
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2015 6:23:19 PM
At 6/29/2015 6:15:21 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

Good for you! That was rather useless for me, though, as I knew that already some time ago when I was started learning physics.

I was just picking a video I felt was at your approximate level of knowledge.

And I stand by my choice.

I could have chosen a more comprehensive and complex video, but i view of your past inability to understand most of my threads--or even read them thoroughly--as in the Astrology one where you told a story in an attempt to debunk me that I used in my OP--I felt you would have as much chance grasping it as Lindsay Lohan at a CERN seminar.

LOL.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2015 7:23:20 PM
At 6/29/2015 6:23:19 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:

Really? Here's an easy one for you.

An observer (Al) is moving at speed V1 along the x-axis relative to (Carl) and another observer (Bob) is moving at speed V2 along the y-axis relative to (Al). What is the speed and direction of (Carl) relative to (Bob)? Show the math.

I could have chosen a more comprehensive and complex video, but i view of your past inability to understand most of my threads

You mean the threads like your time machine bs story where I demanded to see the equations and you suddenly changed your story?

--or even read them thoroughly--as in the Astrology one where you told a story in an attempt to debunk me that I used in my OP--I felt you would have as much chance grasping it as Lindsay Lohan at a CERN seminar.

Okay, let's talk General Relativity. How do you derive the Ricci scalar from the Reinmann curvature and why is this key to the stress-energy tensor? You can show the math if it makes it easier for you.

LOL.
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2015 8:13:30 PM
At 6/29/2015 7:23:20 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

An observer (Al) is moving at speed V1 along the x-axis relative to (Carl) and another observer (Bob) is moving at speed V2 along the y-axis relative to (Al). What is the speed and direction of (Carl) relative to (Bob)? Show the math.

I could have chosen a more comprehensive and complex video, but i view of your past inability to understand most of my threads

You mean the threads like your time machine bs story where I demanded to see the equations and you suddenly changed your story?

--or even read them thoroughly--as in the Astrology one where you told a story in an attempt to debunk me that I used in my OP--I felt you would have as much chance grasping it as Lindsay Lohan at a CERN seminar.

Okay, let's talk General Relativity. How do you derive the Ricci scalar from the Reinmann curvature and why is this key to the stress-energy tensor? You can show the math if it makes it easier for you.

LOL.

You never got my PM on Project Swiss Watch?

And...as far as your questions: Enter the science test challenge! It is way off-topic to discuss them in this thread. Oh..I could just look them up, like you did. But that's sort of boring, doncha think?

LOL..And like you yourself said about my Science Test...Trivial.

quid pro quo, ma'am.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2015 8:22:37 PM
At 6/29/2015 8:13:30 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:

LOL.

Yes, the one where you admitted to lying about it.

And...as far as your questions: Enter the science test challenge! It is way off-topic to discuss them in this thread. Oh..I could just look them up, like you did. But that's sort of boring, doncha think?

Go ahead and look them up if you wish, I'll wait for your answer.

quid pro quo, ma'am.
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2015 8:32:37 PM
At 6/29/2015 8:22:37 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

LOL.

quid pro quo, ma'am.

Riiight. Making it all up. As in imagination. As in a big fat joke at your expense. As in..having fun. Practicing my Creative Writing Skills. (I actually did a short story on project Swiss Watch in a Creative Writing Class a few years ago.

Got an "A".

Some people just don't see the allure of having fun and stirring things up a bit on these Forums. So sad. Have you ever tried to write a piece of fiction in your entire life? You should. Good for the Soul!
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2015 8:49:36 PM
At 6/29/2015 8:32:37 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:
At 6/29/2015 8:22:37 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

LOL.

quid pro quo, ma'am.

Riiight. Making it all up. As in imagination. As in a big fat joke at your expense. As in..having fun. Practicing my Creative Writing Skills. (I actually did a short story on project Swiss Watch in a Creative Writing Class a few years ago.

Got an "A".

Some people just don't see the allure of having fun and stirring things up a bit on these Forums. So sad. Have you ever tried to write a piece of fiction in your entire life? You should. Good for the Soul!

This be you:

https://en.wikipedia.org...