Total Posts:9|Showing Posts:1-9
Jump to topic:

Questions on Addiction or Substance Abuse?

Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2015 3:32:45 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
A good deal of my job entails dealing with folks who are suffering from one for of addiction or another. Most often, alcohol or drug abuse. This is a rampant problem in the US and has been for decades--especially with Alcohol.

Surveys continually show that about one our of ten Americans are alcoholics.

So...as a part of my VA Outreach Work, I would like to offer any answers or advice or thoughts on this topic. Almost everybody at least knows somebody--a friend or evan a family member--who has a problem with Addiction. I will also try to offer advice on various treatment options and which are probably best for your certain case.

We can also discuss the whole "Disease Theory" of Alcoholism, since, even though it is widely accepted in the medical field to be valid, some people still deny this.

Confidentiality, of course, will be respected and guarded to the utmost. Feel free to PM me if you would rather go that route.

Thanks for your time!

Drew.
Science Flies Us to the Moon. Religion Flies us Into Skyscrapers.
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2015 3:42:34 PM
At 6/30/2015 3:32:45 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:
A good deal of my job entails dealing with folks who are suffering from one for of addiction or another. Most often, alcohol or drug abuse. This is a rampant problem in the US and has been for decades--especially with Alcohol.

So...as a part of my VA Outreach Work, I would like to offer any answers or advice or thoughts on this topic. Almost everybody at least knows somebody--a friend or evan a family member--who has a problem with Addiction. I will also try to offer advice on various treatment options and which are probably best for your certain case.

We can also discuss the whole "Disease Theory" of Alcoholism, since, even though it is widely accepted in the medical field to be valid, some people still deny this.

Confidentiality, of course, will be respected and guarded to the utmost. Feel free to PM me if you would rather go that route.

Thanks for your time!

Drew.

Could an alcoholic literally die from going cold turkey?
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2015 3:50:57 PM
At 6/30/2015 3:42:34 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

Thanks for your time!

Drew.

Oh yeah...it happens all the time.

Usually during what we call the "DT's." Which stands for "Delerium Tremens."

Stats show that about one out of 20 (about 5%) of chronic alcoholics die this way.

This is why, here at the VA as well as in practically any hospital, transitional medications are used to help the alcoholic through the Detox process. Which typically lasts from 3-5 days. Librium is a favorite med for this.

Mind you: this only applies to chronic and acute alcoholism. Somebody who has been drinking large amounts for a long time. Daily. Like maybe a "fifth" a day or more. When the cells are so accustomed to being sedated, as alcohol does, they physically become dependent on the daily alcohol intake. So when the intake is abruptly ceased, to put it in layman's terms, they "awaken with a vengeance."

This is what causes the shakes. And the DT's. the brain cells become activated after being depressed for so long, the brain cells go through a type of sensory overload.

Seizures also sometimes occur because of this.

So...for anybody who has been drinking daily and for a significant period of time, medical Detox is highly recommended.
UndeniableReality
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2015 4:35:26 PM
At 6/30/2015 3:50:57 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:

Thanks for your time!

Drew.

Stats show that about one out of 20 (about 5%) of chronic alcoholics die this way.

This is why, here at the VA as well as in practically any hospital, transitional medications are used to help the alcoholic through the Detox process. Which typically lasts from 3-5 days. Librium is a favorite med for this.

Mind you: this only applies to chronic and acute alcoholism. Somebody who has been drinking large amounts for a long time. Daily. Like maybe a "fifth" a day or more. When the cells are so accustomed to being sedated, as alcohol does, they physically become dependent on the daily alcohol intake. So when the intake is abruptly ceased, to put it in layman's terms, they "awaken with a vengeance."

This is what causes the shakes. And the DT's. the brain cells become activated after being depressed for so long, the brain cells go through a type of sensory overload.

So...for anybody who has been drinking daily and for a significant period of time, medical Detox is highly recommended.

Damn that homoeostatic rebound effect.
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2015 5:12:12 PM
At 6/30/2015 4:35:26 PM, UndeniableReality wrote:
At 6/30/2015 3:50:57 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:

Thanks for your time!

Drew.

Damn that homoeostatic rebound effect.

Exactly.

The body always tries to seek a state or normalcy. Balance. Or like you say: "homeostasis."

Alcohol is not conducive to this. At least not in vast amount on a continual basis.

Too...in retrospect, my stats on fatality % of poor guys going through DTs could be a bit low. I have read it is as high as 20%--but this seems high to me, and has not been my experience to see it that high.

My boss (an MD--and a recovering alcoholic) says of the body when it goes through withdrawals: "Your cells have become literally misshapen from the booze; they "scream" for alcohol when it is stopped."
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/3/2015 4:56:18 AM

Thanks for your time!

Drew.

What causes psychological addictions like compulsive behaviors which do not include any substance abuse?
How do you cure someone of compulsive habits?
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/3/2015 6:49:44 PM
At 7/3/2015 4:56:18 AM, Skyangel wrote:

Thanks for your time!

Drew.

What causes psychological addictions like compulsive behaviors which do not include any substance abuse?

Sometimes with Therapy, and sometimes with meds.(And I guess it would be fair to say that that combination can be said to be used in the majority of psychological problems.

I know, for example, that anti-depressant meds--especially the SSRI family, have been pretty successful in the treatment of OCDC. Seems a lack of Serotonin in the brain chemistry is a common imbalance for folks suffering from that.

Dopamine has also had some good results. There is also a form of Therapy called "in vivo desensitization" that we sometimes use. This is when the therapist talks the client through a sort of "virtual" (read: imaginary) situation which replicates the type that usually trigger the compulsive behavior.

Mind you: the vast majority of people with both IMpulsive and COMpulsive behaviors do not seek help for them. It is only when these obsessions are so acute as to denigrate their quality of living that folks sometimes seek help. I would say at the VA we see 10 times more vets with substance abuse addictions compared to OCDC.
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/3/2015 7:01:10 PM
At 7/3/2015 6:49:44 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:

Sometimes with Therapy, and sometimes with meds.(And I guess it would be fair to say that that combination can be said to be used in the majority of psychological problems.

I know, for example, that anti-depressant meds--especially the SSRI family, have been pretty successful in the treatment of OCDC. Seems a lack of Serotonin in the brain chemistry is a common imbalance for folks suffering from that.

Dopamine has also had some good results. There is also a form of Therapy called "in vivo desensitization" that we sometimes use. This is when the therapist talks the client through a sort of "virtual" (read: imaginary) situation which replicates the type that usually trigger the compulsive behavior.

Mind you: the vast majority of people with both IMpulsive and COMpulsive behaviors do not seek help for them. It is only when these obsessions are so acute as to denigrate their quality of living that folks sometimes seek help. I would say at the VA we see 10 times more vets with substance abuse addictions compared to OCDC.

Do you think people can get addicted to religion or science or other belief systems which teach a certain way of thinking is the best or most desirable?
If so, do you think their own belief can have a detrimental affect on their mind or on society?
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/3/2015 7:14:24 PM
At 7/3/2015 7:01:10 PM, Skyangel wrote:
At 7/3/2015 6:49:44 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:

Do you think people can get addicted to religion or science or other belief systems which teach a certain way of thinking is the best or most desirable?
If so, do you think their own belief can have a detrimental affect on their mind or on society?

Yes and Yes. LOL

When atheists and Communist world leaders and political philosophers like Vlad Lenin call religion "an opiate for the masses" or say that a belief in a personal god or even the Power of prayer serve as merely a placebo, I do not think they are too far off the mark. And in recent years with our enhanced Brain Imagery technology like PET and SPECT, this opinion had been given some great credence.

Those scans show that when people think they are engaged in a religious or Divine experience, or are deep in prayer, that the same chemicals (Neurotransmitters" get released and signaled as when certain drugs are taken. Like cocaine and some in the Opiate family.

So, just like drug addiction we can and do certainly have Religious Addiction. After all, it is "the high" that results from the brain chemistry that occurs when the drugs are ingested that folks get addicted to. Same deal with Religious Experience, then, even though nothing is actually physically ingested.

And as we have seen all too often thru History, many Zealots wage war in the Name of Religion, or their own gods. So..yeah..there is the Harm you mentioned.

Although I do admit that those religious wars were most often caused in the quest for power and control rather than as a result of pure addiction. You know: there have really been very few "True Believers" in History. Most of those wing nuts that begin Wars in the name of their god don't even truly believe, but rather use it as an excuse.