Jump to topic:

Time travel to the past is possible

Cotton_Candy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/5/2015 1:50:38 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
So we have theories supporting time travel to the future but time travel to the past has been opposed with a lot of paradoxes that deny any ground for it.
But theoretically time travel to the past would also be possible if we accept time being like a fourth dimension and the possibility of infinetely many parallel universes that differ with each other with infinite permutations of possibilities.

For example if I invent a time machine and go to the past and kill myself before I invent a time machine it doesn't render the scenerio invalid (the argument being killing myself before building the time machine means I wouldn't build the time machine and I wouldn't have travelled back to the past), but it only renders the future or the universe where I discover the time machine void, but the universe where the future self comes and kills me would still be existing.

Hope that made sense.

-Inspired by Terminator: Genysis-
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/5/2015 5:49:00 AM
At 7/5/2015 1:50:38 AM, Cotton_Candy wrote:
So we have theories supporting time travel to the future but time travel to the past has been opposed with a lot of paradoxes that deny any ground for it.
But theoretically time travel to the past would also be possible if we accept time being like a fourth dimension and the possibility of infinetely many parallel universes that differ with each other with infinite permutations of possibilities.

For example if I invent a time machine and go to the past and kill myself before I invent a time machine it doesn't render the scenerio invalid (the argument being killing myself before building the time machine means I wouldn't build the time machine and I wouldn't have travelled back to the past), but it only renders the future or the universe where I discover the time machine void, but the universe where the future self comes and kills me would still be existing.

Hope that made sense.

If time travel to the past were possible we would be inundated with time-travelling tourists from the future. This isn't happening. Therefore, we have either gone extinct sometime before discovering this technology or time travel to the past is impossible. I opt for the latter for obvious reasons.
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/5/2015 7:08:23 AM

Hope that made sense.

You can travel into the past or future depending on whether you travel east or west across the international date line.

https://www.classzone.com...
Locations to the west of the International Date Line are one calendar day ahead of locations to the east of the line.
Fkkize
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/5/2015 7:20:29 AM

Hope that made sense.

You might want to look up the B-theory of time.
: At 7/2/2016 3:05:07 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
:
: space contradicts logic
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/5/2015 8:20:57 AM
At 7/5/2015 5:49:00 AM, dee-em wrote:

Hope that made sense.

If time travel to the past were possible we would be inundated with time-travelling tourists from the future. This isn't happening. Therefore, we have either gone extinct sometime before discovering this technology or time travel to the past is impossible. I opt for the latter for obvious reasons.

1. We would get tourist if this time period was interesting or entertaining to a future time traveler. I think this time period would be like 'possum kingdom' on route 66. Get past without stopping.

2. Time machine technology may have limitations of place and time. Like using time dialated wormholes, the opening in the past would be at certain times and one place.

3. Time travel could be highly regulated by a government or exhuastivly expensive to achieve.

To say inundated implies time travel would be accessible to many people, this time period attractive to time travelers, and that we would notice them. All of which I think are quite the presumptions.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/5/2015 9:15:14 AM

Then, one is not traveling back to our universe, it would be another universe that is different from ours, hence it isn't time travel, it's dimension jumping.

In order for time travel to work, the time machine MUST recreate the entire universe as it was at that time, simply because everything in the universe is in motion, hence the Earth is no longer in the same position of the universe as it was before. Say for example, you wanted to travel back to 1986, Haley's comet was visible in the sky, so the time machine would have to recreate that event. That's why time travel is impossible.

Hope that made sense.

Hope that made sense.

Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/5/2015 9:25:04 AM
At 7/5/2015 8:20:57 AM, Mhykiel wrote:

Hope that made sense.

1. We would get tourist if this time period was interesting or entertaining to a future time traveler. I think this time period would be like 'possum kingdom' on route 66. Get past without stopping.

The industrial revolution.
The world wars (Hitler).
The moon landings.
The birth of computers.
The Kennedy assasination.
Etc. Etc.

You're saying none of these historical events might hold any fascination for people in the future?

If you had a time machine there is nothing of interest to you in the past? I find that hard to believe. You wouldn't want to go back to the times of Jesus or Mohammed and see what really transpired?

2. Time machine technology may have limitations of place and time. Like using time dialated wormholes, the opening in the past would be at certain times and one place.

I think the assumption was that any kinks in the technology had been ironed out and time and place could be dialled up at will. That was my assumption anyway. If the problem of travelling to the past had been solved (the major hurdle) then any other issues should be minor in my opinion.

3. Time travel could be highly regulated by a government or exhuastivly expensive to achieve.

I don't accept either objection. Government has never been able to fully regulate new technology for any length of time. Look at nuclear weapons. In fact there is no reason to do so if the premise of the OP is correct and there is no danger in altering the past. I don't accept prohibitive cost either. Once the fusion problem is solved, energy will be virtually free. Expense will not be a huge factor.

To say inundated implies time travel would be accessible to many people, this time period attractive to time travelers, and that we would notice them. All of which I think are quite the presumptions.

I don't have trouble with any of these assumptions.

My only objection would be technological. Like the Stargate scenario it may be necessary to create one end of a wormhole first before being able to connect to it from another in the future. That may be why we haven't seen any time tourists yet?
Cotton_Candy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/5/2015 11:31:46 AM

Hope that made sense.

That's a rather naive way to look at it. You are dismissing the whole idea based on lack of material evidence but, that alone doesn't make it impossible. What if 17th century physicists had ruled out the idea of atoms simply because they couldn't see them? There are plenty of scenarios that I can even think of right now, that would explain us not being 'inundated' by travelers. Say for example a possibility of the time travelling machine demanding unaffordable amount of resources to operate or a certain time period limit constraint that the machine comes with, crossing which, would be very difficult or dangerous for us humans.
Electric-Eccentric
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/5/2015 12:36:00 PM
TIME is a illusion and TIME travel is just tuning in the human mind with the ultraverse that is beyond the theories of other dimensions.

When people that have problems thinking in and understanding 2 D as that 3 D concept seems to get shaky when you view the illusion of 4 D on a computer monitor.

could the other "dimensions" that man tries to create with words and descriptions that are very vague and subjective by design be a illusion just as TIME is?

I TIME trave quite a bit as I have a great understanding of the ILLUSION as well as other ILLUSIONS as I AM not interested in

pulling the wool over my own eyes and sticking my fingers in my ears and humming a Barney the dinosaure tune as distraction away from the mightmare of when daydreams go bad.

something like that in a nutshell...

EE most overly wonderful and then some.

I Truly BELIEVE that as I have a GREAT FAITH in myself and the perfect & sinless god that I AM by personal free will choice.

call me crazy and mad if it makes you feel more comfortable and safe from the monsters of popular superstition.
Life is what YOU make it,
Most just try and fake it...
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/5/2015 12:52:18 PM
At 7/5/2015 12:36:00 PM, Electric-Eccentric wrote:

call me crazy and mad ...

There's no need, you adequately display that in spades, it's obvious, Sky.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Electric-Eccentric
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/5/2015 1:49:05 PM
At 7/5/2015 12:52:18 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:
At 7/5/2015 12:36:00 PM, Electric-Eccentric wrote:

call me crazy and mad ...

There's no need, you adequately display that in spades, it's obvious, Sky.

EE: Seems that you have created Sky and I with the vibrations of saint Brad as you gave me EE a female body with a mind of her own that I know well as that is what god's do.

it is the confused and superstitious that require the distance between their own thoughts as well as the thoughts of others. They prefer religions fictions, scientific fictions or one of the many other popular realities of fiction that are on the list for the LAZY daydreamers to PICK from with their own personal FREE will choices.

You KNOW that you are just playing make believe and pretend reality, but it is ALL you CHOOSE to know as you REJECT and DENY anything that might get in the WAY of your LAZY WAYS.
Life is what YOU make it,
Most just try and fake it...
smelisox
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/5/2015 1:52:52 PM

Hope that made sense.

Why the hell would they come to 2015? And what if they discover it in 2116 and can only go a hundred years back maximum?

I wouldn't dismiss it since no one from the future is here, we don't quite know how that works. We can already see the past, most stars in the sky are thousands if not millions of years older than what they really are because of the way light travels. A few months ago I read an article that calculated that from another galaxy (I can't remember which), with a big telescope that could zoom in on Earth you'd be seeing the 1960's. Even on the moon there's a several millisecond delay between the Earth and the Moon. They're seeing "the past" (a rather moot difference obviously)
Serato
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/5/2015 3:30:00 PM
At 7/5/2015 7:08:23 AM, Skyangel wrote:

Hope that made sense.

You can travel into the past or future depending on whether you travel east or west across the international date line.

https://www.classzone.com...
Locations to the west of the International Date Line are one calendar day ahead of locations to the east of the line.

Holy time zones Batgirl! I just realized that flying clockwise around the planet will make me nine hours younger enough to prevent you from making a laughable muck of this post. There might be some jet lag though, so I might be a bit tired. Or will I have more energy? I don't know. This is confusing.
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/5/2015 4:18:34 PM

Hope that made sense.

Not only is it possible, it is being done by the US Government and a couple of private sectors contractors--like Lockheed SkunkWorks--as we speak.

I did an entire thread on it last month. The name of this government project is called "Project Swiss Watch." It had its "genesis" with a program called "Project Lego" some 65 years ago, in which that project reverse-engineered some detritus technology from the Roswell, NM Alien Space Ship crash.
Science Flies Us to the Moon. Religion Flies us Into Skyscrapers.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/5/2015 4:23:48 PM
At 7/5/2015 4:18:34 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:

Hope that made sense.

Not only is it possible, it is being done by the US Government and a couple of private sectors contractors--like Lockheed SkunkWorks--as we speak.

I did an entire thread on it last month. The name of this government project is called "Project Swiss Watch." It had its "genesis" with a program called "Project Lego" some 65 years ago, in which that project reverse-engineered some detritus technology from the Roswell, NM Alien Space Ship crash.

LOL. You are seriously fvcked up, dude.
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/5/2015 4:27:51 PM
At 7/5/2015 4:23:48 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

Hope that made sense.

Ma'am...you have used profanity now in three posts over the past 15 minutes.

Are you drunk? Or maybe, just "a" drunk? That would explain a great deal.

I am well-trained in helping folks with substance abuse problems. It comprises a good deal of my job.

Let me know.

(I also have reported those posts to the Mods...just so you know). I( have grown tired of your abusive and ignorant ways.)
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/5/2015 4:28:53 PM

Hope that made sense.

Here is a link on that Time Travel thread I began. I even had to shut it down for being censored by the Gov! (They contacted my place of work).

http://www.debate.org...
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/5/2015 4:41:24 PM
At 7/5/2015 4:27:51 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:

Hope that made sense.

I am well-trained in helping folks with substance abuse problems. It comprises a good deal of my job.

Let me know.

(I also have reported those posts to the Mods...just so you know). I( have grown tired of your abusive and ignorant ways.)

And, we're tired of your lies. This is a science forum, not a kindergarten playground for you to act like a small child. Please go away and stop posting your crap here.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/5/2015 4:44:57 PM
At 7/5/2015 4:28:53 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:

Hope that made sense.

Here is a link on that Time Travel thread I began. I even had to shut it down for being censored by the Gov! (They contacted my place of work).

http://www.debate.org...

Wow, how very sad and pathetic. Seriously dude, get some professional help.
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/5/2015 4:59:17 PM
At 7/5/2015 4:41:24 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

Hope that made sense.

Let me know.

And, we're tired of your lies. This is a science forum, not a kindergarten playground for you to act like a small child. Please go away and stop posting your crap here.

Look, maam. when you sober up perhaps you will realize that I am merely responding to a thread. I will indeed refrain from posting anything construed as non-science on this forum--as I have been pretty good about lately. But, last time I checked, this IS an open Forum and I can respond when and where I wish.

Also, last time I checked, you weren't a Mod, were ya?

Thanks for the suggestion, though. And let me know about that 12-Step thing.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/5/2015 5:15:41 PM
At 7/5/2015 4:59:17 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:
At 7/5/2015 4:41:24 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

Hope that made sense.

Let me know.

Look, maam. when you sober up perhaps you will realize that I am merely responding to a thread. I will indeed refrain from posting anything construed as non-science on this forum--as I have been pretty good about lately. But, last time I checked, this IS an open Forum and I can respond when and where I wish.

Also, last time I checked, you weren't a Mod, were ya?

Thanks for the suggestion, though. And let me know about that 12-Step thing.

Whatever mental disorder causes you to habitually lie about everything, you really should seek professional help and get some meds.
smelisox
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/5/2015 6:31:02 PM
In before Saint posts a thread about how Obama is an evil illuminati lizard from Xenu who will start Ragnarok on 06/06/2016.
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/5/2015 6:42:47 PM

Hope that made sense.

I agree with you. On Time Travel eventually being privatized and thus excursions offered to whomever among the general public could afford it. It'd be like how trips into Space and down into Deep Sea with DSS's are now available.

This is a primary reason that Project Swiss Watch has such a tight lid on it. The Gov is afraid that folks who do TTE's (time travel excursions) might use them so as to facilitate their own agendas. Agendas that are contradictory to what the government does in their TTE's.
smelisox
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/5/2015 6:48:27 PM
At 7/5/2015 6:42:47 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:

Hope that made sense.

I agree with you. On Time Travel eventually being privatized and thus excursions offered to whomever among the general public could afford it. It'd be like how trips into Space and down into Deep Sea with DSS's are now available.

This is a primary reason that Project Swiss Watch has such a tight lid on it. The Gov is afraid that folks who do TTE's (time travel excursions) might use them so as to facilitate their own agendas. Agendas that are contradictory to what the government does in their TTE's.

Since a 17 year old guy posting government SECRETS on a forum is legit.

If Swiss Cheese Project was real, you'd be in a CIA cell being tortured right now. If not just in a ditch with your throat slit.

It's like all the people who talk about Illuminati online. If they EXISTED and were secret, mentioning them would get you killed.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/5/2015 6:52:20 PM

Hope that made sense.

Just can't stop lying, can you? Habitual. Attention whore. Seek help.
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/5/2015 6:52:51 PM
At 7/5/2015 6:48:27 PM, smelisox wrote:

Hope that made sense.

Since a 17 year old guy posting government SECRETS on a forum is legit.

If Swiss Cheese Project was real, you'd be in a CIA cell being tortured right now. If not just in a ditch with your throat slit.

It's like all the people who talk about Illuminati online. If they EXISTED and were secret, mentioning them would get you killed.

Uh...It's Project Swiss Watch....not swiss cheese.

And as far as the MIB's killing me: you watch too much TV.

As that would be to obvious, doncha think. A guy who, on an Internet Forum--and is a government employee, to boot--who talks about Time Travel, suddenly is found dead. Or is "disappeared."

No...they would just let me ramble. Thinking that most folks would not believe me.

Which they don't. I know this, and harbor no delusions about it.

And that is fine with me. I know what I know, and I can say that I tried. And that, I suppose, is sufficient.
smelisox
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/5/2015 6:55:28 PM
Snowden was chased for much less. A government employee eh? If you'd betray your own government for a cool forum post I'd be more concerned on the state of the American Government than any time travelling projects.
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/5/2015 6:55:54 PM
At 7/5/2015 6:31:02 PM, smelisox wrote:
In before Saint posts a thread about how Obama is an evil illuminati lizard from Xenu who will start Ragnarok on 06/06/2016.

Nah...I don't believe in Icke's Reptilian theories.

And if you were to take the time to read my OP on that thread a bit closer you would see that at the very outset I merely posed it as a question for you guys. Never did I claim it to be true.

Look, there are some Conspiracy Theories I believe, but the vast majority--probably about 90%--I do not.
smelisox
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/5/2015 6:58:18 PM
I'm from the year 2600, Harold Nickelson was just announced president and has started WW5, YOU MUST STOP PROJECT SWISS WATCH! To do this, simply send me your bank card details, name and adress! This will help! I swear!!!

Defend the future!
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/5/2015 6:58:44 PM
At 7/5/2015 6:52:20 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

Hope that made sense.

Just can't stop lying, can you? Habitual. Attention whore. Seek help.

Tell ya what, ma'am. I will strike a deal with you: I will seek help for my alleged "obsession for attention" when you agree to seek help for your alcohol problem.

Deal?

LOL