Jump to topic:

Is teleporting murder?

kp98
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2015 7:37:09 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
I think a machine that ripped your atoms apart that would be a pretty effective form of execution.

In a teleport, those atoms (or perhaps other atoms) get re-assembled somewhere else, but that doesn't alter the fact that disintegration is a form of execution that kills the subject.

Is the person who gets out of a teleported the same person who got in, or a different (albeit similar) other person? As the person who got in was killed in the process, how can the person who gets out be the same person?

Would you use a teleporter, knowing that you will be killed and only a close copy will re-materialise elesewhere?
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2015 10:12:56 AM
At 7/6/2015 7:37:09 AM, kp98 wrote:
I think a machine that ripped your atoms apart that would be a pretty effective form of execution.

In a teleport, those atoms (or perhaps other atoms) get re-assembled somewhere else, but that doesn't alter the fact that disintegration is a form of execution that kills the subject.

Is the person who gets out of a teleported the same person who got in, or a different (albeit similar) other person? As the person who got in was killed in the process, how can the person who gets out be the same person?

Would you use a teleporter, knowing that you will be killed and only a close copy will re-materialise elesewhere?

The Star Trek teleporter is another impossible device. In order to take a perfect destructive scan of a body it would have to do the scan instantaneously which is impossible without violating the speed of light. The cells and body fluids in a human body are in constant motion and chemical reactions are occurring in every cell in real time. What about the electrical impulses in the brain in mid-thought? Can a heart be re-assembled in mid-beat and carry on beating? No, teleportation via disassembly and reassembly makes no sense.

Even if this particular mode of teleportation were possible, the ethical issue is not just the retaining of identity as you describe it. The real concern would be cloning. If you can capture a human being as information, transmit it, and then reassemble a human being from that information then you could assemble 1,000 copies or a million copies just as easily. Instant armies of clones. Then you would have huge ethical problems with identity and the rights of living beings.
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2015 10:15:57 AM
To answer your questions. No, teleporting is not murder if an exact replica of the destroyed original were created. Would you get me anywhere near a transporter? Not in a million years! Lol.
philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2015 10:16:14 AM

I would call it involuntary manslaughter since the people who engage in it don't think of it as killing somebody even thought that's what it does.

I don't think it's possible for the person who gets out on the other end to be the same person as the one who entered. But it isn't because one was killed and the other is alive that I think it's impossible. After all, maybe the person who gets out has been resurrected.

I would never use a teleporter because I know that if I did, that would be the end of me. A duplicate of me would take my place and make love to my wife.

Oh wait. I don't have a wife.
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2015 10:29:51 AM

A Christian would never get into a transporter because there is no way to disassemble and reassemble a soul. Even detecting one is hard. Lol.

They overlooked this little problem when making Star Trek. :-)
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2015 12:44:52 PM

Well, I don't think I would equate an incident of successful Quantum Teleportation with murder.

More like dissolution and re-constitution.

And as far as trying it personally, well, once the technology arrived I believe I would prefer to wait a few years until they got all the bugs our of the system!
Science Flies Us to the Moon. Religion Flies us Into Skyscrapers.
SNP1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2015 1:16:29 PM

http://existentialcomics.com...
#TheApatheticNihilistPartyofAmerica
#WarOnDDO
kp98
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2015 2:22:24 PM
Wow! That is a totally brilliant comic strip.... although its rather negative! My position is exactly that of the machines inventor in the story. As I see it, any fear of or opposition to
teleporting has its root cause in the idea that there is more to our 'mental life' (or self, consciousness, insert preferred term here) that the pattern of dancing of atoms.

Any reasonable implementation of a teleporter would preserve not the atoms of a body but the pattern of their dancing (I am not interested in the practicality of teleporting, only its philosophy!). As long as it did that, it would preserve what 'really matters' about 'you'.
Otokage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2015 4:49:44 PM

Why would a reborn person be a different person? That doesn't make a lot of sense.
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2015 5:20:29 PM
At 7/6/2015 10:29:51 AM, dee-em wrote:

A Christian would never get into a transporter because there is no way to disassemble and reassemble a soul. Even detecting one is hard. Lol.

They overlooked this little problem when making Star Trek. :-)

Yeah...and some Christians dis-allow birth control which leads to millions of needless deaths. As is the case with the RCC and its missionaries in Africa.

Some christians dis-allow life-saving blood transfusions because of their silly dogmas.

Some christians murder and oppress others who do not believe as they do.

Besides, most christians are so bereft of even a modicum of scientific knowledge that they would not be anywhere near a Teleporter in the first place.
Science Flies Us to the Moon. Religion Flies us Into Skyscrapers.
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2015 8:48:00 PM
At 7/6/2015 1:16:29 PM, SNP1 wrote:

http://existentialcomics.com...

Thanks. Brilliant. I loved his metamorphosis into a Jesus-like figure. I was sure it was going down that path of a supreme sacrifice to save the world, but then it veered away.