Jump to topic:

Quantum information

Diqiucun_Cunmin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2015 11:56:33 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Can anyone explain to me, in plain English, what quantum information is? It's OK to use technical jargon from computer science and assume basic maths knowledge, but please treat me as someone with zero knowledge of physics (which I am). Thanks. :)
The thing is, I hate relativism. I hate relativism more than I hate everything else, excepting, maybe, fibreglass powerboats... What it overlooks, to put it briefly and crudely, is the fixed structure of human nature. - Jerry Fodor

Don't be a stat cynic:
http://www.debate.org...

Response to conservative views on deforestation:

Topics I'd like to debate (not debating ATM): http://tinyurl.com...
smelisox
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2015 11:59:34 AM
If you mean a Quantum Computer, it means:

On a regular computer, you have data, made of 0's and 1's. Now, in Quantum computers, you can have the 0's and 1's overlapping, meaning you can do calculations millions of times faster.

This technology exists, but you need ANALLY exact situational factors. If the temperature is off by 0.00001 Kelvins or whatever, it does not work. So until we manage to control it under static factors around it, it won't work.
Diqiucun_Cunmin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2015 12:51:47 PM
At 7/6/2015 11:59:34 AM, smelisox wrote:

On a regular computer, you have data, made of 0's and 1's. Now, in Quantum computers, you can have the 0's and 1's overlapping, meaning you can do calculations millions of times faster.
Thanks. So it's a paradigm shift from digital data? How does that work?
This technology exists, but you need ANALLY exact situational factors. If the temperature is off by 0.00001 Kelvins or whatever, it does not work. So until we manage to control it under static factors around it, it won't work.
OIC, so it's conceptual. What did you mean by 'ANALLY'? I'm fairly sure it was a typo, but I couldn't figure it out...
The thing is, I hate relativism. I hate relativism more than I hate everything else, excepting, maybe, fibreglass powerboats... What it overlooks, to put it briefly and crudely, is the fixed structure of human nature. - Jerry Fodor

Don't be a stat cynic:

smelisox
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2015 12:53:28 PM
In that it's a very anal procedure, meaning annoyingly precise. It just means having two things at the same time being readable in alternation.

This will allow us to predict the patterns of diseases, so cure cancer and ebola, and potentially (it's speculation, the other two are certain) hack into any computer in the world, shut off power in entire areas of countries and have absolute power.
smelisox
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2015 12:54:19 PM
It's like instead of putting an apple and a pear in a small pouch that can only fit one, you put both in at the same time and they overlap, and you choose which one you want to pick out.
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2015 6:17:31 PM
At 7/6/2015 11:56:33 AM, Diqiucun_Cunmin wrote:
Can anyone explain to me, in plain English, what quantum information is? It's OK to use technical jargon from computer science and assume basic maths knowledge, but please treat me as someone with zero knowledge of physics (which I am). Thanks. :)

Are you referring to Quantum Computing, perhaps? That is, a proposed method for future computers--specifically in their CPU's and their Memory, to utilize sub-atomic particles in transferring and processing data? Rather than the current method of simply manipulating electrons through logic gates and busways?

Because that indeed looks to be the future. The current transistors (about 10 million on the fastest CPU) are getting so close together with their busways that if they get any smaller, we will have a problem with "electron bleed."

So...of course we have "layered" and "doped" these chips--and as far as the CPUs have engaged n Parallel Processing in efforts to forestall this coming dilemma. But if we continue etching smaller and smaller IC's...that day will come. Hence the allure of QC.

I will not go any further into the nuances and ramifications of QC until you respond to whether or not that is what you meant in your OP.

If it wasn't.........sorry. And, never mind! LOL
Science Flies Us to the Moon. Religion Flies us Into Skyscrapers.
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2015 6:22:02 PM

Hmmm...the "1"s and "0"'s do not really overlap in Quantum Computing. Since those 1's and 0's really mean "on" or "off"--that is, they act as switches to open and close circuits, the "overlapping" deal really would not work, would it? LOL

They also could not overlap for the Boolean Logic and the attendant Logic Gates to work correctly.

I think you meant to say that in QC the "q-bits" could be in more that one possible state at a time. This is different than overlapping.

"Over-lapping" is, too, sort of the dilemma that current IC processing--and CPU's are going to incur if they get any smaller. That is, an electron bleed from neighboring busways.
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2015 6:23:18 PM
At 7/6/2015 12:54:19 PM, smelisox wrote:
It's like instead of putting an apple and a pear in a small pouch that can only fit one, you put both in at the same time and they overlap, and you choose which one you want to pick out.

Again...the fruit does not overlap, as they retain their own integrity.

It is more accurate to say that the "co-exist." As do the possible "states" of the q-bit in QC.
Diqiucun_Cunmin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2015 10:21:39 PM
At 7/6/2015 6:17:31 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:

Are you referring to Quantum Computing, perhaps? That is, a proposed method for future computers--specifically in their CPU's and their Memory, to utilize sub-atomic particles in transferring and processing data? Rather than the current method of simply manipulating electrons through logic gates and busways?
Aren't electrons subatomic? Since... they're a lower level than atoms? (Sorry, I'm clueless about physics, as you can see.)
Because that indeed looks to be the future. The current transistors (about 10 million on the fastest CPU) are getting so close together with their busways that if they get any smaller, we will have a problem with "electron bleed."
Uh-huh.
So...of course we have "layered" and "doped" these chips--and as far as the CPUs have engaged n Parallel Processing in efforts to forestall this coming dilemma. But if we continue etching smaller and smaller IC's...that day will come. Hence the allure of QC.
Yeah, computer companies do seem to have been focusing their attention on multiple cores at the moment, rather than making more sophisticated ICs.
I will not go any further into the nuances and ramifications of QC until you respond to whether or not that is what you meant in your OP.
I... think, lol. I don't know. I was reading the CS programme of the uni I want to enter, and I saw this Quantum Information course...

(As a completely unrelated side note, they cancelled the machine learning course. :( So disappointing.)
If it wasn't.........sorry. And, never mind! LOL

I hope it was, lol, but I don't really know...

Don't be a stat cynic:

Diqiucun_Cunmin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2015 10:24:48 PM
At 7/6/2015 12:53:28 PM, smelisox wrote:
In that it's a very anal procedure, meaning annoyingly precise. It just means having two things at the same time being readable in alternation.
So 'anally' = annoyingly? I don't think I've heard this slang before, so I didn't understand, sorry :P
This will allow us to predict the patterns of diseases, so cure cancer and ebola, and potentially (it's speculation, the other two are certain) hack into any computer in the world, shut off power in entire areas of countries and have absolute power.
Cool! Well, the next part isn't cool, but the first part was.

Don't be a stat cynic:

Diqiucun_Cunmin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2015 10:27:27 PM
At 7/6/2015 6:22:02 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:

Hmmm...the "1"s and "0"'s do not really overlap in Quantum Computing. Since those 1's and 0's really mean "on" or "off"--that is, they act as switches to open and close circuits, the "overlapping" deal really would not work, would it? LOL

They also could not overlap for the Boolean Logic and the attendant Logic Gates to work correctly.

I think you meant to say that in QC the "q-bits" could be in more that one possible state at a time. This is different than overlapping.
q-bits - are we bringing back a name used in Ancient Egypt?

Anyway, so there are two values stored at a time? That's... freaky!
"Over-lapping" is, too, sort of the dilemma that current IC processing--and CPU's are going to incur if they get any smaller. That is, an electron bleed from neighboring busways.

Don't be a stat cynic:

smelisox
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2015 12:49:52 AM
Overlap was the right word, as the q-bits are superposed, which means to be placed above (or under) and to coincide.

I'll just add to Saint's (who still remained correct, despite the fact I still believe I used the right word). I'll clarify his use of q-bit: it means a quantum bit.

Basically, right now, a classical register can give out three different numbers from a series of eight combinations. (000,001,010,011,100,101,110,111). In Quantum Computers, it can be all eight at once.

For a computer search that takes 1 second to calculate, it would now take 8x less since you'd be doing eight times the number of calculations.
smelisox
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2015 12:52:26 AM
Anal comes from the word anal-retentive, a term in psychoanalysis to mean a very fussy and pays too much attention to small details, to people's annoyance. I believe the term was either coined or influenced by Freud, I'd have to check.
Sosoconfused
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2015 4:29:13 PM

Why reinvent the wheel....the guys at MIT are much smarter than me.

Here is a video by MIT explaining it

http://video.mit.edu...
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2015 6:43:10 PM
At 7/6/2015 10:27:27 PM, Diqiucun_Cunmin wrote:
At 7/6/2015 6:22:02 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:

q-bits - are we bringing back a name used in Ancient Egypt?

Anyway, so there are two values stored at a time? That's... freaky!

Quantum Mechanics can indeed be freaky, my friend. Even Einstein though so, calling one aspect of it--I believe it was the phenomenon of Quantum Entanglement--"spooky action at a distance."

Yes---Super Position. That is what the QM guys call the decidedly counter-intuitive idea that a quantum particle--yes, on the sub=atomic scale--can actually occupy TWO states at once. And it is not until said particle is observed that it "decided" to be confined to only one specific state. This very notion comprises much or the allure of quantum computing. Why be limited to those boring 1's and 0's (which are really only "off and on") when you can have qbits--themselves much smaller and faster than electrons--being "both" at once! LOL>

Nobody understand it all. QM that is. The renowned physicist Richard Feynman even said "If anybody claims to understand quantum physics they don't really understand it."
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2015 6:44:18 PM
At 7/7/2015 12:49:52 AM, smelisox wrote:
Overlap was the right word, as the q-bits are superposed, which means to be placed above (or under) and to coincide.

I'll just add to Saint's (who still remained correct, despite the fact I still believe I used the right word). I'll clarify his use of q-bit: it means a quantum bit.

Basically, right now, a classical register can give out three different numbers from a series of eight combinations. (000,001,010,011,100,101,110,111). In Quantum Computers, it can be all eight at once.

For a computer search that takes 1 second to calculate, it would now take 8x less since you'd be doing eight times the number of calculations.

Overlap is NOT the correct terminology. It is, rather, called "super position."

Look it up.
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2015 6:51:49 PM
At 7/7/2015 12:52:26 AM, smelisox wrote:
Anal comes from the word anal-retentive, a term in psychoanalysis to mean a very fussy and pays too much attention to small details, to people's annoyance. I believe the term was either coined or influenced by Freud, I'd have to check.

Well, on THIS you are right! LOL

The origin of the term "anal retentive" is indeed Freudian.

According to Freudian psychology, he says that the anal stage is crucial for infants, in that it follows the oral stage of infant development. It's basically a time when an infant's attention moves from oral stimulation to anal stimulation.

This usually coincides with his "potty training" He figured that kids who experience emotional problems during this time may develop an "anal" personality. This would include being very stubborn and also a control freak, of sorts.

It is when the kid carries this perona into his adolescence and adulthood that the person is said to be anal-retentive..
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2015 6:54:36 PM

Again. wrong. The correct term is "Super Position."

Here ya go.............http://www.physics.org...
Diqiucun_Cunmin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2015 10:47:45 PM
At 7/8/2015 4:29:13 PM, Sosoconfused wrote:

Why reinvent the wheel....the guys at MIT are much smarter than me.

Here is a video by MIT explaining it

http://video.mit.edu...

Thanks, I'll look through it :)

Don't be a stat cynic:

smelisox
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2015 1:17:31 AM
At 7/8/2015 6:54:36 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:

That's exactly what I f-ing said. If you're going to do... I'm not even sure what here, clearly not helping OP, I'd suggest you don't post.

Super position would mean a position that is super, or superb, so a position good enough. You need to join them together.

Do you like twenty three year old girls or twenty-three year old girls?
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2015 8:58:21 AM

See a few posts down on this string
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2015 9:45:39 AM
Other items related to quantum information:

1. In terms of computing I believe the algorithms to use the additional states that quantum offers have been largely developed, although I'm sure they may get better as they can be tested on a real quantum computer. I recall reading an article about a year ago that a new algorithm was developed that was much more efficient using quantum info in computing for some type of function.

It does require a rewrite of all types of algorithms. As an example here is Shor's algorithm which is designed to perform factorial functions on intergers on a quantum computer. As you can tell, developed long long before we can accurately control the superposition state needed to build a quantum computer.

https://en.wikipedia.org...'s_algorithm

2. Another area of quantum information is in cryptology which uses strange quantum behaviors to generate cryptology keys. Again it uses superposition states and entanglement. When an outsider is able to observe the key, it is detectable by the sender and receiver, so they know it has been compromised. It gets quite complex when it comes to Quantum cryptography. In the example I gave, it could still be possible for an outsider to impersonate the receiver of the encryption key, but there is much more activity to theoretically design uncrackable communications using quantum transfer of data.
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2015 2:27:59 PM
At 7/9/2015 1:17:31 AM, smelisox wrote:

That's exactly what I f-ing said. If you're going to do... I'm not even sure what here, clearly not helping OP, I'd suggest you don't post.

Super position would mean a position that is super, or superb, so a position good enough. You need to join them together.

You are obviously clueless about QM. If you had read my link you would know it supported everything I already told you.

LOL. "Superb?" Really? That word is never used in QM. It is a non-science layman's adjective, and not an accurate physics term. Jeez.

I think I am wasting my time in arguing with you, as this topic seems way over your head.
UndeniableReality
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2015 2:50:33 PM
At 7/9/2015 2:27:59 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:

You are obviously clueless about QM. If you had read my link you would know it supported everything I already told you.

LOL. "Superb?" Really? That word is never used in QM. It is a non-science layman's adjective, and not an accurate physics term. Jeez.

I think I am wasting my time in arguing with you, as this topic seems way over your head.

He's saying you need to write superposition instead of super position because they have different meanings.
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2015 2:55:52 PM
At 7/9/2015 2:50:33 PM, UndeniableReality wrote:

He's saying you need to write superposition instead of super position because they have different meanings.

Really?

So...OK, I never knew there was a diff.

I was of the mind that "superposition" was, basically, when Particles can exist in different states, for example they can be in different positions, have different energies or....even be moving at different speeds.

But because quantum mechanics is so freaking weird, instead of thinking about a particle being in one state or changing between a variety of states, particles are thought of as existing across all the possible states at the same time.

Right?

So what is the def when you put a space between the two words?

Thanks.
UndeniableReality
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2015 2:59:31 PM
At 7/9/2015 2:55:52 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:

Really?

I was of the mind that "superposition" was, basically, when Particles can exist in different states, for example they can be in different positions, have different energies or....even be moving at different speeds.

But because quantum mechanics is so freaking weird, instead of thinking about a particle being in one state or changing between a variety of states, particles are thought of as existing across all the possible states at the same time.

Right?

Thanks.

When you put a space between the words, you get the kind of meaning he was playing with earlier. "Gee whiz SoM, that's a super position your'e occupying there. Really a superb spot." =)
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2015 3:01:54 PM
At 7/9/2015 2:59:31 PM, UndeniableReality wrote:

Really?

Right?

Thanks.

When you put a space between the words, you get the kind of meaning he was playing with earlier. "Gee whiz SoM, that's a super position your'e occupying there. Really a superb spot." =)

Oh...so there is no "super position" term dealing with QM. Right? My def of "superposition" was OK but I shouldn't have put a space in there?

Thanks.

Stupid space bar.
UndeniableReality
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2015 3:09:07 PM
At 7/9/2015 3:01:54 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:
At 7/9/2015 2:59:31 PM, UndeniableReality wrote:

Really?

Right?

Thanks.

Oh...so there is no "super position" term dealing with QM. Right? My def of "superposition" was OK but I shouldn't have put a space in there?

Thanks.

Stupid space bar.

Yeah, that's what he was getting at. I noticed the miscommunication so I thought I might try and help clear it up.
UndeniableReality
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2015 3:38:06 PM
At 7/9/2015 3:28:38 PM, smelisox wrote:
The miscommunication was his parents forgetting to put a condom on.

That was more than a little unnecessary.