Jump to topic:

Linguistics: "Via." or "Via"

tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2015 10:51:48 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
This is a question on linguistics, which technically is science; thus, this is under the Science forum.

Is it "via." or "via"?

For example: "Life originally arose via. abiogenesis," or "life originally arose via abiogenesis"? I've seen people on DDO use both "via." and "via". Which is right?

If only one is correct, why is the other used?
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass
Diqiucun_Cunmin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2015 10:54:07 AM
At 7/12/2015 10:51:48 AM, tejretics wrote:
This is a question on linguistics, which technically is science; thus, this is under the Science forum.

Is it "via." or "via"?

For example: "Life originally arose via. abiogenesis," or "life originally arose via abiogenesis"? I've seen people on DDO use both "via." and "via". Which is right?
No '.'.
It looks like an abbreviation. Same reason for ELO, really.
The thing is, I hate relativism. I hate relativism more than I hate everything else, excepting, maybe, fibreglass powerboats... What it overlooks, to put it briefly and crudely, is the fixed structure of human nature. - Jerry Fodor

Don't be a stat cynic:
http://www.debate.org...

Response to conservative views on deforestation:

Topics I'd like to debate (not debating ATM): http://tinyurl.com...
UndeniableReality
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2015 11:00:53 AM

Is it "via." or "via"?

Via is a complete word, so no period.

I don't think this is a science question, but no big deal.
Diqiucun_Cunmin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2015 11:14:55 AM
At 7/12/2015 11:00:53 AM, UndeniableReality wrote:

Is it "via." or "via"?

Aww, but linguistics is a science...

Then again, this thread doesn't directly pertain to the study of language as an empirical science, since it is seeking a prescriptive orthographic rule (even if the desired prescription is somewhat etymologically based).
The thing is, I hate relativism. I hate relativism more than I hate everything else, excepting, maybe, fibreglass powerboats... What it overlooks, to put it briefly and crudely, is the fixed structure of human nature. - Jerry Fodor

Don't be a stat cynic:

UndeniableReality
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2015 11:43:43 AM
At 7/12/2015 11:14:55 AM, Diqiucun_Cunmin wrote:

Is it "via." or "via"?

Then again, this thread doesn't directly pertain to the study of language as an empirical science, since it is seeking a prescriptive orthographic rule (even if the desired prescription is somewhat etymologically based).

Exactly. But again, it's not a problem, in my opinion.
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2015 5:11:55 AM

Is it "via." or "via"?

[][][][][][][][]

^ That's all I understood.
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2015 8:00:57 AM

Is it "via." or "via"?

+1
Diqiucun_Cunmin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2015 9:20:39 AM
At 7/13/2015 5:11:55 AM, tejretics wrote:

Is it "via." or "via"?

[][][][][][][][]

i.e. far easier to understand than most of your God arguments? :P

Don't be a stat cynic:

tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2015 9:21:28 AM
At 7/13/2015 9:20:39 AM, Diqiucun_Cunmin wrote:

Is it "via." or "via"?

[][][][][][][][]

Lol :)
UndeniableReality
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2015 11:04:41 AM

Is it "via." or "via"?

[][][][][][][][]

Since we're talking about grammar, that should be "E.g.,"
Diqiucun_Cunmin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2015 11:27:37 AM
At 7/13/2015 11:04:41 AM, UndeniableReality wrote:

Is it "via." or "via"?

[][][][][][][][]

No, I meant 'that is'.

Don't be a stat cynic:

UndeniableReality
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2015 11:42:15 AM
At 7/13/2015 11:27:37 AM, Diqiucun_Cunmin wrote:

Is it "via." or "via"?

[][][][][][][][]

No, I meant 'that is'.

I.e. implies clarification and/or exclusivity. The "god arguments" are being used as an example of something that is difficult to understand, not as a clarification of what it means to be difficult to understand and not as an exclusive specification of the previous statement (i.e., that the previous statement exclusively or specifically refers to the god arguments).

I only know this because every time I went to publish a paper in the first few years of my PhD, my supervisor changed 80% of my "i.e.'s" to "e.g.'s", and I didn't want to make that mistake again for the next paper.
Diqiucun_Cunmin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2015 10:26:16 PM
At 7/13/2015 11:42:15 AM, UndeniableReality wrote:

Is it "via." or "via"?

[][][][][][][][]

No, I meant 'that is'.

I.e. implies clarification and/or exclusivity. The "god arguments" are being used as an example of something that is difficult to understand, not as a clarification of what it means to be difficult to understand and not as an exclusive specification of the previous statement (i.e., that the previous statement exclusively or specifically refers to the god arguments).
I see.
I only know this because every time I went to publish a paper in the first few years of my PhD, my supervisor changed 80% of my "i.e.'s" to "e.g.'s", and I didn't want to make that mistake again for the next paper.
I dunno, since you received your previous degrees and authored books (?) before you finally knew this, I think it would be reasonable to say that there likely isn't a strong descriptive basis for the rule. If I'm right about that, linguistics professors probably wouldn't worry about that, since prescriptivism is frowned upon in the field. :P

I looked up the etymology of 'i.e.', and the Latin does indeed translate directly to 'that is', 'c'est-a-dire'. I think that if I can substitute 'that is' for 'i.e.' in the sentence, I wouldn't lose any sleep over my 'misuse' of the abbreviation - unless, of course, I'm writing a text for someone who *does* care about the rule, in which case I'd happily comply to it.

Don't be a stat cynic:

UndeniableReality
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2015 10:59:56 PM
At 7/13/2015 10:26:16 PM, Diqiucun_Cunmin wrote:
At 7/13/2015 11:42:15 AM, UndeniableReality wrote:

Is it "via." or "via"?

[][][][][][][][]

No, I meant 'that is'.

I see.
I dunno, since you received your previous degrees and authored books (?) before you finally knew this, I think it would be reasonable to say that there likely isn't a strong descriptive basis for the rule. If I'm right about that, linguistics professors probably wouldn't worry about that, since prescriptivism is frowned upon in the field. :P

I did receive previous degrees before understanding it but I did not publish any academic papers.I think there is strong rule about it.

I looked up the etymology of 'i.e.', and the Latin does indeed translate directly to 'that is', 'c'est-a-dire'. I think that if I can substitute 'that is' for 'i.e.' in the sentence, I wouldn't lose any sleep over my 'misuse' of the abbreviation - unless, of course, I'm writing a text for someone who *does* care about the rule, in which case I'd happily comply to it.

Yes, it translates to "that is", but "that is" wouldn't have been correct in that sentence. It was an example of something that is difficult to understand.
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2015 3:12:46 PM

Is it "via." or "via"?

Exactly right. No period es necceisito, amigo.

"Via" comes from the Latin, meaning basically "by road" or "by way of."

I can think of no word in current usage that requires a period at the end of it, unless of course it is the final word in a sentence.

Maybe and acronym, like "U.S.A." but even then, those are not words, per se, and also it is far more common in modern writing to omit the periods between the letters of acronyms. (SALT; WHO; PET; EKG; STEM, et al.)
Science Flies Us to the Moon. Religion Flies us Into Skyscrapers.