Jump to topic:

So which is it

sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2015 4:25:54 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Global warming or a mini ice age. I am to the point of just plain laughter when it comes to climate research.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
kp98
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2015 5:44:06 PM
Nothing to laugh about. There's nothing incompatible about global warming and an ice age at the same time because they have such different causes : excess warming is due to man-made gas emissions, the ice age due to a dip in solar output. The two together might mean a short reprieve as the two effects cancel out for a while.

Which - no doubt - people will take as indicating everything is now fine and increase emission levels so when the ice age effect ends things will be worse than they would have been otherwise.

Laugh? Why not, while we can.
Subutai
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2015 9:06:18 PM
I'm not sure why you can't comprehend that no one is arguing that CO2 is the only cause of global warming. Climactic fluctuations are caused by the forcing of CO2 and solar activity. If solar activity suddenly falls, the Earth will cool suddenly, regardless of the continued rise in CO2 levels. "The model demonstrates that solar activity will fall by 60 percent by 2030..." (http://rt.com...) A 60 percent decrease in solar activity will have a huge effect on the climate no matter how fast CO2 levels are increasing. However, don't let this think CO2 levels have no effect on temperatures.
I'm becoming less defined as days go by, fading away, and well you might say, I'm losing focus, kinda drifting into the abstract in terms of how I see myself.
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2015 10:54:45 PM
At 7/13/2015 4:25:54 PM, sadolite wrote:
Global warming or a mini ice age. I am to the point of just plain laughter when it comes to climate research.

The sky is falling.
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2015 6:06:42 AM

They aren't mutually exclusive, since they have entirely different causes.
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2015 4:57:32 PM
So which is it? Are the sea level going to rise and flood everyone out as predicted or is it going to freeze. Worthless junk science. You cant have it both ways.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2015 5:05:33 PM
I can't count how many times I was told in debates that the sun has been factored into to computer models and was irrelevant. Global warming is BS. The sun controls the earths climate and man can do nothing to stop or change it. Warm or cold. Man is a piss ant compared to the sun.

Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2015 5:40:05 PM
At 7/14/2015 5:05:33 PM, sadolite wrote:
I can't count how many times I was told in debates that the sun has been factored into to computer models and was irrelevant. Global warming is BS. The sun controls the earths climate and man can do nothing to stop or change it. Warm or cold. Man is a piss ant compared to the sun.

Climate heats up in summer and cools down in winter. Opposite weather aspects are always on this planet at the same time in different places.
Whether it is hot or cold depends on what you are observing and the perspective from which you are observing it.
Earths cycles are repetitive. Nothing happens in the future that has not already happened in the past when it comes to weather cycles and climate change.
It is always extra hot in one location on the planet while being extra cold in another location.
UndeniableReality
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2015 6:44:53 PM
At 7/14/2015 5:40:05 PM, Skyangel wrote:

Climate heats up in summer and cools down in winter. Opposite weather aspects are always on this planet at the same time in different places.
Whether it is hot or cold depends on what you are observing and the perspective from which you are observing it.
Earths cycles are repetitive. Nothing happens in the future that has not already happened in the past when it comes to weather cycles and climate change.
It is always extra hot in one location on the planet while being extra cold in another location.

You're mixing up weather and climate. They're different things.
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2015 7:21:36 PM
At 7/14/2015 6:44:53 PM, UndeniableReality wrote:

Whatever you recon.
They are just different words to describe the same atmospheric conditions.
Weather and climate are synonymous.
Sosoconfused
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2015 7:40:13 PM
At 7/14/2015 7:21:36 PM, Skyangel wrote:

Whatever you recon.

That is absolutely not true. Weather and climate are not synonymous.

http://www.nasa.gov...

please educate yourself on the subject before spewing nonsense.
Enji
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2015 8:03:41 PM
Previous studies on the solar minimum and its affect on climate change have never made headlines because they account for global warming due to greenhouse gasses. Zharkova only considers warming due to solar activity and its news.
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2015 11:19:14 PM
At 7/14/2015 7:40:13 PM, Sosoconfused wrote:

Whatever you recon.

That is absolutely not true. Weather and climate are not synonymous.

http://www.nasa.gov...

please educate yourself on the subject before spewing nonsense.

No problemo.
Climate change is caused by natural gas emissions from human activities like eating too many baked beans. It causes humans to suffer from gas, wind, the vapors or flatulence or to use a more commonly understood term, farting.
All this hot air creates a global warming affect.
The solution is to stop eating baked beans. ;-)

Eat less and save the planet.

http://epa.gov...
UndeniableReality
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2015 11:35:33 PM

Whatever you recon.

No they are not. Do you need help using the dictionary?
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2015 12:06:46 AM
At 7/14/2015 11:35:33 PM, UndeniableReality wrote:

Whatever you recon.

Anyone for Baked Beans ? You can eat them hot or cold in hot or cold weather but they will always cause a climate change at the seat of your knowledge when the pressure causes the energy to escape in the form of hot air.
Don't let the pressure of global warming get to you. ;-)
Chill out.
Mother Nature is simply trying to balance the hot and cold so you will once again be lukewarm and not prone to so much exploding.
Electric-Eccentric
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2015 1:27:30 AM
I find this Mary Poppins nanny stuff very entertaining.

There is more of substance and conclusions and solutions with the eating of baked beans then there is around this forum filled with kids and their BIG people make believe and pretend.

Lets see now

science says that the earth is warming up and will just keep getting hotter and science is saying that a ice age is on the way and we will freeze.

seems that LUKE WARM is the correct answer.
Life is what YOU make it,
Most just try and fake it...
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2015 8:27:40 AM

Breaking News: Scientists researching the Sun discover new evidence to help explain observations about reality.

Conclusion: If scientists can't know everything at once then science is worthless and should be laughed at.

Yeah!
UndeniableReality
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2015 10:07:51 AM
At 7/15/2015 12:06:46 AM, Skyangel wrote:

Whatever you recon.

Anyone for Baked Beans ? You can eat them hot or cold in hot or cold weather but they will always cause a climate change at the seat of your knowledge when the pressure causes the energy to escape in the form of hot air.
Chill out.
Mother Nature is simply trying to balance the hot and cold so you will once again be lukewarm and not prone to so much exploding.

I feel sorry for you.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2015 4:15:33 PM
At 7/15/2015 8:27:40 AM, dee-em wrote:

Breaking News: Scientists researching the Sun discover new evidence to help explain observations about reality.

Conclusion: If scientists can't know everything at once then science is worthless and should be laughed at.

Yeah!

That is your understanding of what I said. But that isn't the context.

dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2015 9:06:06 PM
At 7/15/2015 4:15:33 PM, sadolite wrote:
At 7/15/2015 8:27:40 AM, dee-em wrote:

Yeah!

That is your understanding of what I said. But that isn't the context.

Of course not. Lol.
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2015 10:49:14 PM
At 7/15/2015 1:27:30 AM, Electric-Eccentric wrote:
I find this Mary Poppins nanny stuff very entertaining.

There is more of substance and conclusions and solutions with the eating of baked beans then there is around this forum filled with kids and their BIG people make believe and pretend.

Lets see now

science says that the earth is warming up and will just keep getting hotter and science is saying that a ice age is on the way and we will freeze.

seems that LUKE WARM is the correct answer.

It could be warming up on one side of the planet and getting colder on the other much like summer and winter being on the planet at the same time.
That only makes it Spring and Fall on the parts of the planet which are not too hot and not too cold. It's a bit like Goldilocks porridge. Just pick the one which suits your taste the most. All have positive and negative aspects.
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2015 10:52:48 PM
At 7/15/2015 10:07:51 AM, UndeniableReality wrote:

Whatever you recon.

Chill out.

I feel sorry for you.

No need to feel sorry for me. I understand how it can be hot and cold on the planet at the same time in different areas. Obviously others find that difficult to comprehend.

Nature has a way of balancing all things out and there is not one thing humans can do to change Mother Natures ways.
UndeniableReality
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2015 12:37:51 AM
At 7/15/2015 10:52:48 PM, Skyangel wrote:

Whatever you recon.

Chill out.

I feel sorry for you.

No need to feel sorry for me. I understand how it can be hot and cold on the planet at the same time in different areas. Obviously others find that difficult to comprehend.

No, that's easy to understand.

Nature has a way of balancing all things out and there is not one thing humans can do to change Mother Natures ways.

Too vague and ill-formed to merit a specific response.
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2015 12:51:57 AM
At 7/16/2015 12:37:51 AM, UndeniableReality wrote:

Whatever you recon.

Chill out.

I feel sorry for you.

So why did you bother responding at all?
Do you enjoy wasting your time?
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2015 1:37:03 AM
I was calling "Global Cooling" since the beginning of the whole "Global Warming" thing, so this doesn't surprise me.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
kp98
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2015 1:58:28 AM

Up to a point. Nature is surprisingly resilient but even she can't always recover from logging, agriculture and pollution on the inprecedented industrial scales of the 21st century. Give an area a generation - or even a few years - of being undisturbed and unpolluted and it will recover amazingly well, but that isn't happening. We are putting more and more strain on the planet - it is blinkered to imagine that we can do so forever without limit.

Its like a smoking cigarettes. You can smoke for years with no bad effects so you keep on smoking. But then one day you find out you've got cancer. Its too late to stop smoking then. You wish you'd stopped before, but time is strictly one-way.
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2015 5:01:32 AM
At 7/16/2015 1:37:03 AM, PetersSmith wrote:
I was calling "Global Cooling" since the beginning of the whole "Global Warming" thing, so this doesn't surprise me.

Based on what, intuition?

The lull on global warming will be brief, no more than a decade or so, if this new solar cycle model is correct (not established science yet). During that time I suspect that even more CO2 will be pumped into the atmosphere keeping people warm over the interval. This will exacerbate the problems with global warming once solar activity returns to normal. I don't think climate change deniers can gloat over this new discovery. The upward trend in global temperature will resume soon enough. Action to contain the problem is still needed, probably even more urgently thinking of 2040 onwards.
v3nesl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2015 8:28:43 AM

Well, you obviously don't keep up, idiot! It's climate change. So either one is a change, isn't it, you religious science hating whack job.

Although, things could stay the same, I guess. A doctor once told me about a neuralgia in my jaw (from a botched root canal) - it will either get better, get worse, or stay the same. Alrighty then, thanks doc! But he did give me pain medicine.
This space for rent.
UndeniableReality
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2015 10:21:10 AM
At 7/16/2015 12:51:57 AM, Skyangel wrote:
At 7/16/2015 12:37:51 AM, UndeniableReality wrote:

Whatever you recon.

Chill out.

I feel sorry for you.

So why did you bother responding at all?
Do you enjoy wasting your time?

I was responding mainly to the first statement. With regards to your second statement, I was simply letting you know that you need to make a more meaningful statement if you would like a response.
v3nesl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2015 10:55:29 AM
And I always like to point out: It tends to be the same people who claim the planet has been creating life for a billion years who claim it may be beyond hope by christmas (according to robert redford at the UN recently) It's just another example of the lack of real world thinking in evolution. The evolutionist may be tempted to say "But global warming is MAN MADE!". Yes, but you're claiming man is evolution made. So does it really make sense that evolution works for a billion years and then all of a sudden is going to self destruct?

The Genesis model actually correlates for more comfortably here: Man is a new thing on planet earth, and is not entirely natural. He was tasked to be a steward of nature, (and his brother, and his neighbor), but has a history of being really bad at his job.
This space for rent.