Jump to topic:

Is String Theory Probable?

tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2015 6:12:16 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
The title says it all. Is string theory, M-theory, or some variation of it, probable? Why/why not?

Also, is there any evidence for string theory?
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass
Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2015 6:25:06 AM
At 7/14/2015 6:12:16 AM, tejretics wrote:
The title says it all. Is string theory, M-theory, or some variation of it, probable? Why/why not?

I don't think so.[https://www.math.columbia.edu...]

Although the next two years at the LHC certainly has the potential to change that to an extent.
kp98
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2015 6:41:20 AM
It's hard for laymen to judge. All I know about string theory is dumbed down stuff from pop-sci articles and magazines - and to be honest, I don't even understand the dumbed-down version.

String theory may well one day enable us to calcuate some arcane feature of a subatomic particle better that we can without it string theory - perhapts it can already do that, but I wouldn't know a string theory calculation if it bit me. Does that make string theory probable (whatever that means?).

I don't know.
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2015 12:56:39 PM

Coincidentally, I currently have another thread in this Forum that alludes to a possible visual evidence that might hint to the veracity of String Theory. It has to do with acoustics, and things called "Chladni Plates." Please check it out and contribute to the Thread if you like.
Science Flies Us to the Moon. Religion Flies us Into Skyscrapers.
UndeniableReality
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2015 12:57:32 PM
At 7/14/2015 12:56:39 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:

Coincidentally, I currently have another thread in this Forum that alludes to a possible visual evidence that might hint to the veracity of String Theory. It has to do with acoustics, and things called "Chladni Plates." Please check it out and contribute to the Thread if you like.

Can you link to the thread? I've never heard of a connection being proposed between cymatics and string theory.
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2015 1:00:39 PM
At 7/14/2015 12:57:32 PM, UndeniableReality wrote:
At 7/14/2015 12:56:39 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:

Can you link to the thread? I've never heard of a connection being proposed between cymatics and string theory.

http://www.debate.org...
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2015 4:10:21 PM
At 7/14/2015 2:54:30 PM, kp98 wrote:
First nociceptor and now cymatics - I'm doing well for learning new words today!

Yeah...I admit I had to look-up "Cymatics." Even though I did a thread on this phenomenon, I do not recall the author of the book I read which prompted the thread, using that term. All I knew was that the plates on which they placed particles--like sand or salt--to see the visible wave forms caused by acoustic stimulation were called "Chladni Plates." Named for the 17th Century phsysicist/musician. He was called by some "the Father of Acoustics Science."
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2015 4:13:15 PM

Here is a very short and very accessable primer video on String Theory..........

https://www.youtube.com...