Jump to topic:

Human scale entanglement?

Accipiter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2015 2:13:05 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
I sat at a table with a straw lying on it. I pushed the end of the straw along it's longitudinal axis one inch over a period of three seconds. The other end moved at precisely the same time as the end that I was pushing.

Wouldn't that be transmitting information faster than light?
Sidewalker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2015 6:22:08 AM
At 7/18/2015 2:13:05 AM, Accipiter wrote:
I sat at a table with a straw lying on it. I pushed the end of the straw along it's longitudinal axis one inch over a period of three seconds. The other end moved at precisely the same time as the end that I was pushing.

No.
"It is one of the commonest of mistakes to consider that the limit of our power of perception is also the limit of all there is to perceive." " C. W. Leadbeater
kp98
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2015 7:22:41 AM
No is a bit brusque, so I'll put some flesh on the bones.

When you pushed on one end of the straw the immedate area of the straw was compressed and a compression wave passed along the straw at the speed of sound in plastic (or whatever the straw was made of). The other end didn't move straight away - there was a very short delay until the compression wave reached it. Too see the delay you'd need a longer straw than most if us have access to, but if you try it with a "slinky spring" which emulates a very slow sound wave it's easy to see the compession pulses moving along.

if the straw was 'infinitely rigid' the speed of sound within it be the speed of light, so you can't use an infinitely long, infinitely rigid rod to communicate faster than radio.
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2015 3:07:47 PM
At 7/18/2015 2:13:05 AM, Accipiter wrote:

No.

And why would you think that it would be?

You used a QM term in your OP headline: "entanglement." But you did not address it. What does it have to do with you exerting a slight physical force on a physical object? One which is trillions of times larger than an atomic particle?

Or am I missing something here?
Science Flies Us to the Moon. Religion Flies us Into Skyscrapers.
kp98
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2015 3:46:13 PM
And why would you think that it would be?

Because the delay between pushing one end and the other end moving is usually very small one can naively think it is an instantaeous effect. It's a natural mistake, but its harder than that to break the rules of special relativity, unfortunately!