Jump to topic:

A Science Fact That Got It All Wrong

tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2015 9:40:06 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
I thought I'd share this story that happened to me a few weeks ago. In school, there's a routine where a student brings a couple of science facts from the Internet and reads them out via an intercom to the whole of eighth grade. They're generally fun to listen to, and chemistry is a favorite subject.

Recently, we got a quantum physics science "fact" that made me smile. An eighth grader presented an argument for God's existence based on quantum physics -- specifically, quantum states.

The argument:

(1) All particles have quantum states & superposition
(2) A state is defined only by observation, and is relative to and contingent on observation
(3) The particles at the time of the origin of the universe had quantum states that were defined

From 2, he concluded that a conscious observer for these quantum states to be defined was required.

This is a good response from John Weeler:

"We are participators in bringing into being not only the near and here but the far away and long ago. We are in this sense, participators in bringing about something of the universe in the distant past and if we have one explanation for what's happening in the distant past why should we need more?"

The PAP (Participatory Anthropic Principle) is summed up by Andrew Zimmerman Jones: "Instead, what would happen according to quantum physics is that the universe could exist as a superposition of states, unfolding simultaneously in every possible permutation, until such a time when an observer springs up in one such possible universe. At the point the observer potentially exists, there is therefore an act of observation, and the universe collapses into that state."

This also made me think of Subutai's quantum state argument against God. Well, food for thought.
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass