Neural Reincarnation

Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2015 4:18:11 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I had a thought:

Okay, imagine that Albert dies in 1895. Some of the matter that makes up his body ends up recycled as a vegetable in a farmer's harvest. In 1896 a pregnant woman eats it, and some surviving neural material is absorbed into the fetus's developing brain. As a result the fetus actually gains a little bit of the consciousness of Albert. Throughout his life he retains some of Albert's memories.
I know that this is so outlandish that it'd be unlikely to happen to one in a billion people, but is it at least physically possible?
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
UndeniableReality
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2015 5:27:11 PM
At 7/23/2015 4:18:11 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
I had a thought:

Okay, imagine that Albert dies in 1895. Some of the matter that makes up his body ends up recycled as a vegetable in a farmer's harvest. In 1896 a pregnant woman eats it, and some surviving neural material is absorbed into the fetus's developing brain. As a result the fetus actually gains a little bit of the consciousness of Albert. Throughout his life he retains some of Albert's memories.
I know that this is so outlandish that it'd be unlikely to happen to one in a billion people, but is it at least physically possible?

How is that supposed to make sense? What do you mean by "neural material"?
Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2015 5:32:04 PM
I had a thought:

I really want to entertain this thought experiment. I really do, I think thought experiments are fun.

However, this post ignores the digestive system, the way foetuses absorb nutrients, and how memories are formed by the brain. Thus, absorbing some of einstein's atoms cannot in principle causally induce memories of Einstein any more likely than any other brain matter the mother would eat.

So, while a foetus which somehow has some of Einstein's memories is I suppose *possible* (some freak organisation of neural connections maybe), it is t possibly influenced by the rest of the experiment.
UndeniableReality
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2015 5:45:03 PM
I had a thought:

If, like Envisage inferred, you mean to suggest that atoms which were once in a person's brain could retain elements of that person's consciousness after the body decomposed, the molecules they were part of went through several reactions after being metabolized by bacteria and forming parts of new molecules in a plant, which was then digested by the mother before ending up forming a tiny fraction of the structure of a few neurons in the developing brain, then I think you have a very long way to go.
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2015 5:45:26 PM
At 7/23/2015 5:32:04 PM, Envisage wrote:
I had a thought:

I really want to entertain this thought experiment. I really do, I think thought experiments are fun.

However, this post ignores the digestive system, the way foetuses absorb nutrients, and how memories are formed by the brain. Thus, absorbing some of einstein's atoms cannot in principle causally induce memories of Einstein any more likely than any other brain matter the mother would eat.

So, while a foetus which somehow has some of Einstein's memories is I suppose *possible* (some freak organisation of neural connections maybe), it is t possibly influenced by the rest of the experiment.

+1 all of it.
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2015 5:47:14 PM
At 7/23/2015 5:32:04 PM, Envisage wrote:
I had a thought:

Whoops.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
August_Burns_Red
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2015 6:41:12 PM
I had a thought:

Interesting idea Vox but biologically groundless. No DNA would be left of Albert by the time his remains were recycled as a vegetable. (however the heck that would work, anyway. and even if there were DNA and the pregnant woman ate it---or at Albert when she was pregnant, like a cannibal. still not going to work. too many trillions of DNA strands in Albert's body, only a small part having to code for his brain. And DNA couldnt survive the trip through the digestion process and then into the fetus. it just doesn't work like that. All info the fetus gets is finished after it gets it from the sperm of the biological dad.
Tomorrow's forecast: God reigns and the Son shines!