Jump to topic:

Periodic Table

Proving_a_Negative
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2015 11:51:04 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
We will probably not discover any more elements other than the 118 we have made thus far sadly. Theoretically, the next most stable element would be 120, but there have been 3 attempts so far to create which were all unsuccessful. Besides the depressing news, there is other very good news. There is a whole new periodic table to be filled. The very first few elements (Hydrogen and Helium) have already been completed. This is the periodic table of antimatter. Do you guys think the normal periodic table will end at 118? Will there be more antimatter elements discovered? Tell me what you think. I'm not a physicist :P
MagicAintReal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2015 8:29:21 AM
At 7/23/2015 11:51:04 PM, Proving_a_Negative wrote:
We will probably not discover any more elements other than the 118 we have made thus far sadly. Theoretically, the next most stable element would be 120, but there have been 3 attempts so far to create which were all unsuccessful. Besides the depressing news, there is other very good news. There is a whole new periodic table to be filled. The very first few elements (Hydrogen and Helium) have already been completed. This is the periodic table of antimatter. Do you guys think the normal periodic table will end at 118? Will there be more antimatter elements discovered? Tell me what you think. I'm not a physicist :P

Well, I taught chemistry for 2 years, and it seems that the regular periodic table could be expanded if we could isolate such a heavy element...right now it's difficult, but this could change with advancements in technology.

With antimatter, we might be finding that the weights are vastly different, and without knowledge of radioactive antimatter isotopes, we cannot determine a true atomic weight.

Antimatter is fascinating though, and we need to unlock its mysteries.
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2015 8:30:19 AM

I am no expert but whilst further elements may be discovered, they would have massive nuclei and be so unstable as to have an extremely short half-life. Whatever properties they might have would be irrelevant since they would be of no practical use outside of pure research.

I'm not sure why you are depressed. Elements can be combined into molecules in an almost infinite number of ways, with often new and unexpected properties. We haven't come close to exhausting the possibilities with ever more exotic compounds. Chess only has a handful of different pieces but chess players don't complain about the almost infinite possibilities in game play. Cheer up. Lol.
MagicAintReal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2015 9:09:31 AM
At 7/24/2015 8:30:19 AM, dee-em wrote:

I am no expert but whilst further elements may be discovered, they would have massive nuclei and be so unstable as to have an extremely short half-life. Whatever properties they might have would be irrelevant since they would be of no practical use outside of pure research.

I'm not sure why you are depressed. Elements can be combined into molecules in an almost infinite number of ways, with often new and unexpected properties. We haven't come close to exhausting the possibilities with ever more exotic compounds. Chess only has a handful of different pieces but chess players don't complain about the almost infinite possibilities in game play. Cheer up. Lol.

Good point.
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2015 10:53:03 AM

The majority of generation of antimatter is via iridium and/or copper, which produce only antiprotons, though some positrons have been produced... I doubt we will make lots of antimatter.

Antimatter, though, is especially fascinating.
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass
Proving_a_Negative
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2015 10:53:32 AM

Think about it like this. The chess manufacturers have decided to not further increase the complexity of the game anymore (regardless of how slightly more complex element 120 would make it). It is kind of sad knowing all the pieces we will be stuck with for an eternity.

Your point about the organic chemistry has weight though. We will NEVER run out of organic molecules to create. There are only a certain number of combinations that actually create unique chemical properties though. All the stereoisomers (which trust, there are an absolute ton) behave almost exactly like their partner. While each and every configuration of a molecule may be unique, they aren't usually all that different. We can make polymers with an absolutely massive range flexibility. They can only be a few chains long or tens of thousands of chains long and everything in between. The problem is that they have extremely identical chemical properties and slightly different physical properties. I am oversimplifying this a lot, but we have already discovered all the functional groups. The functional groups all have unique properties and they are well known. Functional groups give organic molecules all of there properties (oversimplified). What organic chemists today struggle with is creating a method to transfer their easy to obtain molecule to their target molecule. It's more about the discovery of reactions rather than inventing a new molecule never created before. As the old saying goes, "Give a new molecule to a chemist and they will be happy for a day. Give them a new reaction and they will be happy for a lifetime."
Proving_a_Negative
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2015 11:00:38 AM
At 7/24/2015 10:53:03 AM, tejretics wrote:

The majority of generation of antimatter is via iridium and/or copper, which produce only antiprotons, though some positrons have been produced... I doubt we will make lots of antimatter.

Check out the wiki page on antimatter. It claims that antihydrogen and antihelium have been created. They even made 2 distinct isotopes (Helium-3 and Helium-4). I can't link it since I'm on the iphone. I tend to believe that more antimatter atoms will be created.
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2015 11:01:40 AM
At 7/24/2015 11:00:38 AM, Proving_a_Negative wrote:
At 7/24/2015 10:53:03 AM, tejretics wrote:

Check out the wiki page on antimatter. It claims that antihydrogen and antihelium have been created. They even made 2 distinct isotopes (Helium-3 and Helium-4). I can't link it since I'm on the iphone. I tend to believe that more antimatter atoms will be created.

Of course they've been created. But it's only about 1 billionth of a gram total...
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass
August_Burns_Red
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2015 3:26:04 PM

We didnt make those 118 elements. The first 92 are natural and the remaining 26 are man made. I agree we might not find any more natural elements, but we can and will probably make more, especially with our atom smashers that get more powerful all the time. also, dark energy and dark matter might have new elements in them.
Tomorrow's forecast: God reigns and the Son shines!
August_Burns_Red
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2015 3:29:02 PM
At 7/24/2015 3:26:04 PM, August_Burns_Red wrote:

We didnt make those 118 elements. The first 92 are natural and the remaining 26 are man made. I agree we might not find any more natural elements, but we can and will probably make more, especially with our atom smashers that get more powerful all the time. also, dark energy and dark matter might have new elements in them.
I love chemistry its my favorite science. Im not a scientist but it I had to go to college again and major in a STEM I think it would be Chemistry. I will answer and questions or discuss it if anybody wants. not that I am expert. Ha! but I know a lot. I read alot of books. took it for 2 yrs h.s. and three classes in college: organic; geo-chemistry, and applied, where we did labs. (that was the funnest one for me!)
Tomorrow's forecast: God reigns and the Son shines!
Proving_a_Negative
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2015 4:39:20 PM

To clear up the confusion, I know we didn't "make" all the elements. It was just a figure of speech, kind of. I disagree with the idea that we will make more elements just because of stronger particle accelerators. In order for the atom to have ever existed (as defined by the IUPAC, it must have formed its electron cloud in accordance to its electron configuration (whatever it may be). If it doesn't exist long enough for this to occur, it wasn't a new element. We have either reached the peak of island of stability or passed it. Now any new elements would be far too unstable to actually create an electron cloud before it undergoes fission.
Proving_a_Negative
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2015 4:41:32 PM
At 7/24/2015 3:29:02 PM, August_Burns_Red wrote:

I love chemistry its my favorite science. Im not a scientist but it I had to go to college again and major in a STEM I think it would be Chemistry. I will answer and questions or discuss it if anybody wants. not that I am expert. Ha! but I know a lot. I read alot of books. took it for 2 yrs h.s. and three classes in college: organic; geo-chemistry, and applied, where we did labs. (that was the funnest one for me!)

I enjoy organic chemistry as well.
Sidewalker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2015 8:13:37 PM

I'm not sure why you find this depressing, but in terms of stable elements that occur naturally, the periodic table has been complete for quite some time, and it is getting geometrically harder and harder to synthesize new elements. We are up against such diminishing returns that it's becoming pointless and very expensive to even try. The new synthetic elements are so unstable that they disappear in moments and so there is practically nothing to be learned by producing them. It's just not a very good use of funding and it's all about the funding.

The situation is even worse on the antimatter side, it was very hard to produce Hydrogen, astoundingly hard to produce Helium, and each new antimatter element will be around a thousand times harder than the last, and the question becomes, what exactly are we going to do with the knowledge we obtain. Funding follows function, and it's hard to get money for pointless knowledge.
"It is one of the commonest of mistakes to consider that the limit of our power of perception is also the limit of all there is to perceive." " C. W. Leadbeater
Sidewalker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2015 8:29:36 PM

Why???

I cannot understand why anyone would find chemistry interesting and believe me, I have really really tried. My son has a PhD in Biochemistry and for the last 15 years or so, it's been like talking to somebody from another planet. I understand his motivation, but interesting, how on earth is chemistry the least bit interesting?

Especially the labs, nothing could be more tedious than a chemistry lab, I think it's a miracle that everybody in a chemistry lab doesn't kill themselves after the first year.
"It is one of the commonest of mistakes to consider that the limit of our power of perception is also the limit of all there is to perceive." " C. W. Leadbeater
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2015 8:56:05 PM
At 7/24/2015 10:53:32 AM, Proving_a_Negative wrote:

Think about it like this. The chess manufacturers have decided to not further increase the complexity of the game anymore (regardless of how slightly more complex element 120 would make it). It is kind of sad knowing all the pieces we will be stuck with for an eternity.

As I said, the really heavy elements aren't going to ever be useful because of their inherent instability. There has to be a limit somewhere. It doesn't particularly sadden me.

Your point about the organic chemistry has weight though. We will NEVER run out of organic molecules to create. There are only a certain number of combinations that actually create unique chemical properties though. All the stereoisomers (which trust, there are an absolute ton) behave almost exactly like their partner. While each and every configuration of a molecule may be unique, they aren't usually all that different. We can make polymers with an absolutely massive range flexibility. They can only be a few chains long or tens of thousands of chains long and everything in between. The problem is that they have extremely identical chemical properties and slightly different physical properties. I am oversimplifying this a lot, but we have already discovered all the functional groups. The functional groups all have unique properties and they are well known. Functional groups give organic molecules all of there properties (oversimplified). What organic chemists today struggle with is creating a method to transfer their easy to obtain molecule to their target molecule. It's more about the discovery of reactions rather than inventing a new molecule never created before. As the old saying goes, "Give a new molecule to a chemist and they will be happy for a day. Give them a new reaction and they will be happy for a lifetime."

I wasn't just referring to organic chemistry. There is fascinating work going on with metallic alloys and new configurations for carbon such as graphene and buckminsterfullerene (bucky balls) etc. I am particularly interested in a matetial which could be used to construct a space elevator. You don't need new elements to be excited about materials science, there is plenty of scope with what we have.
Proving_a_Negative
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2015 11:02:00 PM
At 7/24/2015 8:29:36 PM, Sidewalker wrote:

Why???

I cannot understand why anyone would find chemistry interesting and believe me, I have really really tried. My son has a PhD in Biochemistry and for the last 15 years or so, it's been like talking to somebody from another planet. I understand his motivation, but interesting, how on earth is chemistry the least bit interesting?

Especially the labs, nothing could be more tedious than a chemistry lab, I think it's a miracle that everybody in a chemistry lab doesn't kill themselves after the first year.

Why is chemistry interesting to me? What initially intrigued me was salt. I was told that NaCl was table salt and that Na was explosive and Cl was extremely poisonous, but salt is safe to consume due to chemistry. I wanted to know why. After taking introductory chemistry Junior year of high school, I was hooked. I was nervous about naming compounds (but that ended up being incredibly easy) and having to memorize reactions. It was super simple at first. I aced the class and immediately signed up for AP Chemistry. This is where I decided I LOVED chemistry. I'm the kinda guy that needs to know why everything is that way. Why do atoms want 8 valence electrons? Why is water the universal solvent? Why are C-F bonds so strong? Why is potassium permanganate a strong oxidizing agent? The list goes on. In the very first lesson of AP Chemistry, we covered the topic of electronegativity. This is by far the most fascinating topic in the world. It explains soooooo many things in the world of chemistry. It appeals to my reasoning. It answers (for the most part) all the questions listed before. Everything after that first lesson was a bonus. That's when I started taking Organic Chemistry in College. I was incredibly nervous, mostly because of naming compounds (there is a much different system when it comes to organic molecules). It isn't easy, but what I got interested in was learning reactions. It was extremely awesome trying to come up with a reaction pathway to take your starting materials and make the target products. Not only do we learn a reaction, but we learn the mechanism behind it. There are reasons why reactions occur. Most reactions in organic chemistry aren't a single step problem. Hydroboration oxidation is my favorite example of this. Seriously, check out how awesome it is: https://upload.wikimedia.org...
And that isn't even all of it. My absolute favorite lesson in organic chemistry so far is stereochemistry. It is incredibly hard to explain, but it shows how detailed organic molecules really are. Example: https://en.wikipedia.org... This was a drug used for pregnant women. Back then, chemists didn't know the importance of stereochemistry. Basically, the mirror image of that compound isn't the same as itself. For the most part, the 2 compounds behaved chemically identical so chemists couldn't tell the difference between the R and S conformation. The body, however, is very picky. The mirror image of the drug actually caused birth defects in babies. How can such a small change do so much harm?? That is why I love organic chemistry.
Proving_a_Negative
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2015 11:07:45 PM
At 7/24/2015 8:56:05 PM, dee-em wrote:
At 7/24/2015 10:53:32 AM, Proving_a_Negative wrote:

As I said, the really heavy elements aren't going to ever be useful because of their inherent instability. There has to be a limit somewhere. It doesn't particularly sadden me.

I wasn't just referring to organic chemistry. There is fascinating work going on with metallic alloys and new configurations for carbon such as graphene and buckminsterfullerene (bucky balls) etc. I am particularly interested in a matetial which could be used to construct a space elevator. You don't need new elements to be excited about materials science, there is plenty of scope with what we have.

The majority of allotropes of carbon have been discovered. I doubt any more will come into existence. Check them out here: https://en.wikipedia.org... Metallurgy is interesting, but again we are working with a limited group of metals.