Jump to topic:

An Experiment

Chaosism
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2015 2:42:30 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Would anyone care to assist me with a little experiment? I very much like to verify the things I've learned to get a better grasp on their validity. This should be a pretty simple thing, and I appreciate any and all participation! If not, then that's fine. I will share my overall results (no personal results) if anyone is interested. Thank you.

Imagine that we have a standard set of double-six dominoes; that means that every combination of each number between 0 and 6 is paired on a domino (28 possible combinations). I then place three dominoes on a table in this order:

2 / 3 . . . 3 / 4 . . . 4 / 5

I then tell you that I have a single secret rule that the order of these dominoes conforms to. You are tasked with figuring out what this rule is, but must do so in a specific way: you can take any three dominoes (even the ones that I used) and lay them out in any order, and I will tell you "Yes" if your order conforms to the rule and "No" if it doesn't. You can guess with a new order as many times as you wish, and then when you are confident that you know the rule, you can tell me what the rule is.

PLEASE SEND ALL GUESSES TO ME VIA PRIVATE MESSAGE. Thank you!
Floid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2015 7:19:00 PM
At 7/31/2015 2:42:30 PM, Chaosism wrote:
I then tell you that I have a single secret rule that the order of these dominoes conforms to. You are tasked with figuring out what this rule is, but must do so in a specific way: you can take any three dominoes (even the ones that I used) and lay them out in any order, and I will tell you "Yes" if your order conforms to the rule and "No" if it doesn't. You can guess with a new order as many times as you wish, and then when you are confident that you know the rule, you can tell me what the rule is.

Why don't we save a lot of time and you tell me the combinations that have a "Yes" answer. Otherwise I have to go through the effort of typing in every combination and you have to go through the effort of answering each... seems awfully inefficient.
Chaosism
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2015 8:54:47 PM
At 7/31/2015 7:19:00 PM, Floid wrote:
At 7/31/2015 2:42:30 PM, Chaosism wrote:

Why don't we save a lot of time and you tell me the combinations that have a "Yes" answer. Otherwise I have to go through the effort of typing in every combination and you have to go through the effort of answering each... seems awfully inefficient.

I understand that, but (a) it is impractical given the thousands of possible valid combinations and (b) it defeats the purpose of the experiment.