Total Posts:20|Showing Posts:1-20
Jump to topic:

Do Animals have thoughts?

Sooner
Posts: 1,012
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2015 6:27:15 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Do dogs have thoughts in bar language? Do cats have thoughts in meow language? Etc.
Ignoring problems doesn't make them go away.
Otokage
Posts: 2,347
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2015 7:28:04 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/1/2015 6:27:15 AM, Sooner wrote:
Do dogs have thoughts in bar language? Do cats have thoughts in meow language? Etc.

Kind of. I believe they are capable of having verbal thoughts, but as they lack an organized society in which language is taught (barks and meows are not words), most cats and dogs probably do not have this kind of thoughts. My dog, on the contrary, has verbal thoughts I'm sure, this is because she is quite good at spanish despite her inhability to actualy speak spanish :) She knows the name of all her toys (she has six), my name, name of my cat, of my mum and of my brother, name of a couple of dogs friends of her. She also knows the words "hello", "car", "beach", "face", "candy", "out"... and some more. I know she thinks about the name of these toys often, because once she learns a name, she does not forget it as long as she keeps playing with the toy, meaning that she is remembering the name by herself, which to me is a sign that she "says the name on her head" frequently, probably everytime she thinks about the item in question. She also does not forget the name of my brother despite him comming home every 6 months or so. She even remembers the word "beach" while it is only in summer that I take her to the beach...

Of course I don't think she is capable of verbalize in her head actual phrases or lines of reasoning, but words? of course she can.

But dogs and cats are only the tip of the iceberg, cetaceans do have different languages and it seems they spontaneously invent names to label things and even offspring, and therefore their thoughts must be extremely complex for an animal.
Diqiucun_Cunmin
Posts: 2,710
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2015 3:42:03 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/1/2015 6:27:15 AM, Sooner wrote:
Do dogs have thoughts in bar language? Do cats have thoughts in meow language? Etc.

Animals certainly have thoughts, but a distinction between animal language and human language must be made. I'd argue that animals are not capable of verbal thoughts. Animal language lacks a number of important characteristics from Hockett's set of design features, and this prevents them from expressing complex thoughts in animal language:

-Animal languages are not productive, or creative in the Chomskyan sense of the word. Humans can produce an enormous set of sentences, assumed and sometimes believed as a fact to be infinite by generative grammar, from a limited number of grammatical rules and an arguably limited lexicon. Animals are incapable of this.
-Animal languages lack duality. Instead of two layers of representation (sound and meaning), sound and meaning are tied. A dog that goes 'woof' to mean 'I like chewing bones' cannot reformulate the 'woof' sound to become 'moof' to mean 'I like fetching sticks'.
-Animal words lack arbitrariness. There is usually a close connection between sound and meaning. 'Grrrrrooooff!!!' means 'Get off my territory'. This severely limits the number of ideas they can express.
The thing is, I hate relativism. I hate relativism more than I hate everything else, excepting, maybe, fibreglass powerboats... What it overlooks, to put it briefly and crudely, is the fixed structure of human nature. - Jerry Fodor

Don't be a stat cynic:
http://www.debate.org...

Response to conservative views on deforestation:
http://www.debate.org...

Topics I'd like to debate (not debating ATM): http://tinyurl.com...
Otokage
Posts: 2,347
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2015 4:40:08 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/3/2015 3:42:03 PM, Diqiucun_Cunmin wrote:
At 8/1/2015 6:27:15 AM, Sooner wrote:
Do dogs have thoughts in bar language? Do cats have thoughts in meow language? Etc.

Animals certainly have thoughts, but a distinction between animal language and human language must be made. I'd argue that animals are not capable of verbal thoughts. Animal language lacks a number of important characteristics from Hockett's set of design features, and this prevents them from expressing complex thoughts in animal language:

-Animal languages are not productive, or creative in the Chomskyan sense of the word. Humans can produce an enormous set of sentences, assumed and sometimes believed as a fact to be infinite by generative grammar, from a limited number of grammatical rules and an arguably limited lexicon. Animals are incapable of this.
-Animal languages lack duality. Instead of two layers of representation (sound and meaning), sound and meaning are tied. A dog that goes 'woof' to mean 'I like chewing bones' cannot reformulate the 'woof' sound to become 'moof' to mean 'I like fetching sticks'.
-Animal words lack arbitrariness. There is usually a close connection between sound and meaning. 'Grrrrrooooff!!!' means 'Get off my territory'. This severely limits the number of ideas they can express.

A very interesting post. But I'm just curious. You say animal languages like duality, this would mean animals are incapable of communicating two different things using the same sound. But from this, it follows that animals can not interpret a sound considering the context in which they are hearing it (the sound will always mean the same). In principe, I don't think this is actualy true. Do you say that all animal languages lack duality being aware of the experiments made in animal languages of highly intelligent species such as primates and cetaceans?
Diqiucun_Cunmin
Posts: 2,710
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2015 5:05:39 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/3/2015 4:40:08 PM, Otokage wrote:
At 8/3/2015 3:42:03 PM, Diqiucun_Cunmin wrote:
At 8/1/2015 6:27:15 AM, Sooner wrote:
Do dogs have thoughts in bar language? Do cats have thoughts in meow language? Etc.

Animals certainly have thoughts, but a distinction between animal language and human language must be made. I'd argue that animals are not capable of verbal thoughts. Animal language lacks a number of important characteristics from Hockett's set of design features, and this prevents them from expressing complex thoughts in animal language:

-Animal languages are not productive, or creative in the Chomskyan sense of the word. Humans can produce an enormous set of sentences, assumed and sometimes believed as a fact to be infinite by generative grammar, from a limited number of grammatical rules and an arguably limited lexicon. Animals are incapable of this.
-Animal languages lack duality. Instead of two layers of representation (sound and meaning), sound and meaning are tied. A dog that goes 'woof' to mean 'I like chewing bones' cannot reformulate the 'woof' sound to become 'moof' to mean 'I like fetching sticks'.
-Animal words lack arbitrariness. There is usually a close connection between sound and meaning. 'Grrrrrooooff!!!' means 'Get off my territory'. This severely limits the number of ideas they can express.

A very interesting post. But I'm just curious. You say animal languages like duality, this would mean animals are incapable of communicating two different things using the same sound. But from this, it follows that animals can not interpret a sound considering the context in which they are hearing it (the sound will always mean the same).
To clarify, duality simply means that there are two layers of representation: sound and meaning. A natural human language has a phonemic inventory, a basic set of sounds that are used to build sound sequences with meaning, e.g. morphemes at the lowest level. Lack of duality means that there isn't such an inventory of meaningless phonemes producing meaningful sound sequences. It does not, as far as I'm aware, exclude the possibility of homonymy and polysemy.
In principe, I don't think this is actualy true. Do you say that all animal languages lack duality being aware of the experiments made in animal languages of highly intelligent species such as primates and cetaceans?
I've done some Googling about this. It appears that certain birds and cetaceans may actually exhibit features that point to duality by manipulating melodies. However, with regards to sophisticated verbal thoughts, duality is a necessary condition, but not a sufficient one.
The thing is, I hate relativism. I hate relativism more than I hate everything else, excepting, maybe, fibreglass powerboats... What it overlooks, to put it briefly and crudely, is the fixed structure of human nature. - Jerry Fodor

Don't be a stat cynic:
http://www.debate.org...

Response to conservative views on deforestation:
http://www.debate.org...

Topics I'd like to debate (not debating ATM): http://tinyurl.com...
August_Burns_Red
Posts: 1,253
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2015 5:25:40 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/1/2015 6:27:15 AM, Sooner wrote:
Do dogs have thoughts in bar language? Do cats have thoughts in meow language? Etc.

whats bar language?

Im a dog guy and think the supposed smartness, the intelligence of felines is overrated. why do people think this? because their clean? lol--I have an Uncle who takes five showers a day but can't count to ten. LOL.
they say a cats brain is the size of a peach pit. Hmm..not too good, eh? but they also say a smart dog like a border collie or a lab or a Jack Russell or a dingo-mix (those are the smartest breeds; beagles the dumbest) is about as smart as a average little kid in kindergarden. that seems about right. we have a dog that runs around our Box here, belongs to one of our female MMA gals. she is a chocolate lab named Suzie. talk about smart! she can open the mini fridge in back and bring me a Monster energy drink. sometimes I look at her and say "how'd you get to be a dog?" because she looks smart like she might be reincarnated from a human! LOL
GodBless.
Tomorrow's forecast: God reigns and the Son shines!
Otokage
Posts: 2,347
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2015 10:32:46 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/3/2015 5:05:39 PM, Diqiucun_Cunmin wrote:
At 8/3/2015 4:40:08 PM, Otokage wrote:
At 8/3/2015 3:42:03 PM, Diqiucun_Cunmin wrote:
At 8/1/2015 6:27:15 AM, Sooner wrote:
Do dogs have thoughts in bar language? Do cats have thoughts in meow language? Etc.

Animals certainly have thoughts, but a distinction between animal language and human language must be made. I'd argue that animals are not capable of verbal thoughts. Animal language lacks a number of important characteristics from Hockett's set of design features, and this prevents them from expressing complex thoughts in animal language:

-Animal languages are not productive, or creative in the Chomskyan sense of the word. Humans can produce an enormous set of sentences, assumed and sometimes believed as a fact to be infinite by generative grammar, from a limited number of grammatical rules and an arguably limited lexicon. Animals are incapable of this.
-Animal languages lack duality. Instead of two layers of representation (sound and meaning), sound and meaning are tied. A dog that goes 'woof' to mean 'I like chewing bones' cannot reformulate the 'woof' sound to become 'moof' to mean 'I like fetching sticks'.
-Animal words lack arbitrariness. There is usually a close connection between sound and meaning. 'Grrrrrooooff!!!' means 'Get off my territory'. This severely limits the number of ideas they can express.

A very interesting post. But I'm just curious. You say animal languages like duality, this would mean animals are incapable of communicating two different things using the same sound. But from this, it follows that animals can not interpret a sound considering the context in which they are hearing it (the sound will always mean the same).
To clarify, duality simply means that there are two layers of representation: sound and meaning. A natural human language has a phonemic inventory, a basic set of sounds that are used to build sound sequences with meaning, e.g. morphemes at the lowest level. Lack of duality means that there isn't such an inventory of meaningless phonemes producing meaningful sound sequences. It does not, as far as I'm aware, exclude the possibility of homonymy and polysemy.
In principe, I don't think this is actualy true. Do you say that all animal languages lack duality being aware of the experiments made in animal languages of highly intelligent species such as primates and cetaceans?
I've done some Googling about this. It appears that certain birds and cetaceans may actually exhibit features that point to duality by manipulating melodies. However, with regards to sophisticated verbal thoughts, duality is a necessary condition, but not a sufficient one.

I see. Thanks for you input :)
Sooner
Posts: 1,012
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2015 4:21:26 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/3/2015 5:25:40 PM, August_Burns_Red wrote:
At 8/1/2015 6:27:15 AM, Sooner wrote:
Do dogs have thoughts in bar language? Do cats have thoughts in meow language? Etc.

whats bar language?

Im a dog guy and think the supposed smartness, the intelligence of felines is overrated. why do people think this? because their clean? lol--I have an Uncle who takes five showers a day but can't count to ten. LOL.
they say a cats brain is the size of a peach pit. Hmm..not too good, eh? but they also say a smart dog like a border collie or a lab or a Jack Russell or a dingo-mix (those are the smartest breeds; beagles the dumbest) is about as smart as a average little kid in kindergarden. that seems about right. we have a dog that runs around our Box here, belongs to one of our female MMA gals. she is a chocolate lab named Suzie. talk about smart! she can open the mini fridge in back and bring me a Monster energy drink. sometimes I look at her and say "how'd you get to be a dog?" because she looks smart like she might be reincarnated from a human! LOL
GodBless.

-------
You may be right on cats. I read something that says they only clean themselves so prey can't smell them. It's just a predator instinct and has nothing to do with being clean.
Ignoring problems doesn't make them go away.
Caroline91
Posts: 1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2015 6:21:52 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
I think they kind of have. You can always be surprised by your dog how smart it is. And they have feelings.
kp98
Posts: 729
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2015 6:41:06 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
What's bar language?

Well, basicly ish like order... ordi... ordinerary languidge but takes longer and ends with the speaker falling over. Cheers !
ChloeMica
Posts: 1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2015 5:51:36 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/1/2015 6:27:15 AM, Sooner wrote:
Do dogs have thoughts in bar language? Do cats have thoughts in meow language? Etc.

I think they have thoughts. They are smart.
JMcKinley
Posts: 314
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2015 7:13:31 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Dogs can certainly think. You can watch them experience confusion which is when you don't know what to think. In order to be confused you had to be thinking in the first place.

Dogs are incredibly expressive with their body language so its not hard to know what they are thinking. Watch one for very long and you won't question whether or not they can think.
Otokage
Posts: 2,347
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2015 8:17:54 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/3/2015 5:25:40 PM, August_Burns_Red wrote:
At 8/1/2015 6:27:15 AM, Sooner wrote:
Do dogs have thoughts in bar language? Do cats have thoughts in meow language? Etc.

whats bar language?

Im a dog guy and think the supposed smartness, the intelligence of felines is overrated. why do people think this? because their clean? lol--I have an Uncle who takes five showers a day but can't count to ten. LOL.
they say a cats brain is the size of a peach pit. Hmm..not too good, eh? but they also say a smart dog like a border collie or a lab or a Jack Russell or a dingo-mix (those are the smartest breeds; beagles the dumbest) is about as smart as a average little kid in kindergarden. that seems about right. we have a dog that runs around our Box here, belongs to one of our female MMA gals. she is a chocolate lab named Suzie. talk about smart! she can open the mini fridge in back and bring me a Monster energy drink. sometimes I look at her and say "how'd you get to be a dog?" because she looks smart like she might be reincarnated from a human! LOL
GodBless.

This cat vs dog war. I love it :) Tell you something about cats that makes them quite different from dogs and how their intelligence work. As I have stated above, my dog is really really smart as you would expect for a poodle, but this is also because I have bothered to train her as much as I can, she can do many cool things. But my cat... Look, my cat doesnt know many impressive things, probably the most impressive she does is opening the door using the handle, and also opening the tap. But tell you something, I've never trained her to do it, she learned all by herself! Out of a pure capacity of brilliant observation and analysis. None of the seven dogs I've had in my life, has impressed me so much with their intelligence as my current cat. One time, I took her to my aunt's home, she had a lovebird inside a cage. When we woke up the first morning, we found the lovebird was free and my cat was sleeping inside the cage with the little cage-door opened. This caused a lot of laugh, and I spent the day wondering how was it possible that a cat that has never seen a cage, could just manage by herself to open the door even though the lock mechanism was simple.

I think dogs have an unmatched social and emotional intelligence, but I strongly believe cats are really brilliant when it comes to analysis and creativeness. I have also seen some impressive hunt tactics from felines like leopards in documentaries, really original and creative tactis that are a little mindblown tbh.
Otokage
Posts: 2,347
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2015 8:25:36 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/4/2015 4:21:26 AM, Sooner wrote:
At 8/3/2015 5:25:40 PM, August_Burns_Red wrote:
At 8/1/2015 6:27:15 AM, Sooner wrote:
Do dogs have thoughts in bar language? Do cats have thoughts in meow language? Etc.

whats bar language?

Im a dog guy and think the supposed smartness, the intelligence of felines is overrated. why do people think this? because their clean? lol--I have an Uncle who takes five showers a day but can't count to ten. LOL.
they say a cats brain is the size of a peach pit. Hmm..not too good, eh? but they also say a smart dog like a border collie or a lab or a Jack Russell or a dingo-mix (those are the smartest breeds; beagles the dumbest) is about as smart as a average little kid in kindergarden. that seems about right. we have a dog that runs around our Box here, belongs to one of our female MMA gals. she is a chocolate lab named Suzie. talk about smart! she can open the mini fridge in back and bring me a Monster energy drink. sometimes I look at her and say "how'd you get to be a dog?" because she looks smart like she might be reincarnated from a human! LOL
GodBless.

-------
You may be right on cats. I read something that says they only clean themselves so prey can't smell them. It's just a predator instinct and has nothing to do with being clean.

Yes, it is an instinct, and a very important one, since cats also get vitamin D from grooming, which is also why they groom more often while in direct sunlight. This is also done by dogs and other animals, but at a lower frequency.
August_Burns_Red
Posts: 1,253
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2015 8:49:20 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/5/2015 8:17:54 PM, Otokage wrote:
At 8/3/2015 5:25:40 PM, August_Burns_Red wrote:
At 8/1/2015 6:27:15 AM, Sooner wrote:
Do dogs have thoughts in bar language? Do cats have thoughts in meow language? Etc.

whats bar language?

Im a dog guy and think the supposed smartness, the intelligence of felines is overrated. why do people think this? because their clean? lol--I have an Uncle who takes five showers a day but can't count to ten. LOL.
they say a cats brain is the size of a peach pit. Hmm..not too good, eh? but they also say a smart dog like a border collie or a lab or a Jack Russell or a dingo-mix (those are the smartest breeds; beagles the dumbest) is about as smart as a average little kid in kindergarden. that seems about right. we have a dog that runs around our Box here, belongs to one of our female MMA gals. she is a chocolate lab named Suzie. talk about smart! she can open the mini fridge in back and bring me a Monster energy drink. sometimes I look at her and say "how'd you get to be a dog?" because she looks smart like she might be reincarnated from a human! LOL
GodBless.

This cat vs dog war. I love it :) Tell you something about cats that makes them quite different from dogs and how their intelligence work. As I have stated above, my dog is really really smart as you would expect for a poodle, but this is also because I have bothered to train her as much as I can, she can do many cool things. But my cat... Look, my cat doesnt know many impressive things, probably the most impressive she does is opening the door using the handle, and also opening the tap. But tell you something, I've never trained her to do it, she learned all by herself! Out of a pure capacity of brilliant observation and analysis. None of the seven dogs I've had in my life, has impressed me so much with their intelligence as my current cat. One time, I took her to my aunt's home, she had a lovebird inside a cage. When we woke up the first morning, we found the lovebird was free and my cat was sleeping inside the cage with the little cage-door opened. This caused a lot of laugh, and I spent the day wondering how was it possible that a cat that has never seen a cage, could just manage by herself to open the door even though the lock mechanism was simple.

I think dogs have an unmatched social and emotional intelligence, but I strongly believe cats are really brilliant when it comes to analysis and creativeness. I have also seen some impressive hunt tactics from felines like leopards in documentaries, really original and creative tactis that are a little mindblown tbh.

yeah what I probably find most interesting about domestic cats is how you can really see their DNA behaviors from the big cats like tigers and lions, panthers. the way they wash; and their hunting skills like when they go after a bird or mouse. a lizard, whatever. i love the way the warm-up before attacking, padding their rear feet like getting traction. they crack me up. they all think their great Lion Hunters! LOL
God Bless
Tomorrow's forecast: God reigns and the Son shines!
Otokage
Posts: 2,347
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2015 9:03:23 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/5/2015 8:49:20 PM, August_Burns_Red wrote:
At 8/5/2015 8:17:54 PM, Otokage wrote:
At 8/3/2015 5:25:40 PM, August_Burns_Red wrote:
At 8/1/2015 6:27:15 AM, Sooner wrote:
Do dogs have thoughts in bar language? Do cats have thoughts in meow language? Etc.

whats bar language?

Im a dog guy and think the supposed smartness, the intelligence of felines is overrated. why do people think this? because their clean? lol--I have an Uncle who takes five showers a day but can't count to ten. LOL.
they say a cats brain is the size of a peach pit. Hmm..not too good, eh? but they also say a smart dog like a border collie or a lab or a Jack Russell or a dingo-mix (those are the smartest breeds; beagles the dumbest) is about as smart as a average little kid in kindergarden. that seems about right. we have a dog that runs around our Box here, belongs to one of our female MMA gals. she is a chocolate lab named Suzie. talk about smart! she can open the mini fridge in back and bring me a Monster energy drink. sometimes I look at her and say "how'd you get to be a dog?" because she looks smart like she might be reincarnated from a human! LOL
GodBless.

This cat vs dog war. I love it :) Tell you something about cats that makes them quite different from dogs and how their intelligence work. As I have stated above, my dog is really really smart as you would expect for a poodle, but this is also because I have bothered to train her as much as I can, she can do many cool things. But my cat... Look, my cat doesnt know many impressive things, probably the most impressive she does is opening the door using the handle, and also opening the tap. But tell you something, I've never trained her to do it, she learned all by herself! Out of a pure capacity of brilliant observation and analysis. None of the seven dogs I've had in my life, has impressed me so much with their intelligence as my current cat. One time, I took her to my aunt's home, she had a lovebird inside a cage. When we woke up the first morning, we found the lovebird was free and my cat was sleeping inside the cage with the little cage-door opened. This caused a lot of laugh, and I spent the day wondering how was it possible that a cat that has never seen a cage, could just manage by herself to open the door even though the lock mechanism was simple.

I think dogs have an unmatched social and emotional intelligence, but I strongly believe cats are really brilliant when it comes to analysis and creativeness. I have also seen some impressive hunt tactics from felines like leopards in documentaries, really original and creative tactis that are a little mindblown tbh.

yeah what I probably find most interesting about domestic cats is how you can really see their DNA behaviors from the big cats like tigers and lions, panthers. the way they wash; and their hunting skills like when they go after a bird or mouse. a lizard, whatever. i love the way the warm-up before attacking, padding their rear feet like getting traction. they crack me up. they all think their great Lion Hunters! LOL
God Bless

Hahaha yeah, they kill me too, they are hilarious.

But actually, cats are better hunters than lions and also better than most felines, not only because they have a fitter body, but also because they fail much less often :) This is because cats "made" to hunt very sneaky preys like rats or birds, contrary to bigger felines, and so they need to be precise killers. Also, cats are believed to be amongst the animals that grant more hours a day to practice their hunting techniques, probably because they have this inexhaustible food source that is their owner, and therefore they can afford to spend all the energy they want in training. Little amazing creatures :D
crossbones
Posts: 3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2015 2:57:56 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/1/2015 6:27:15 AM, Sooner wrote:
Do dogs have thoughts in bar language? Do cats have thoughts in meow language? Etc.

Of course they have. They may have their own language system, the only matter is you don't understand what they are talking about. Rember that when we arrive at a new place, we can't understand the words of local people. Do they have thoughts? The answer is definitely yes. Someday when we find a way to figure out what those meow and bar mean, we will have the chance to know their thoughts.
missmedic
Posts: 386
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2015 4:25:21 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/1/2015 6:27:15 AM, Sooner wrote:
Do dogs have thoughts in bar language? Do cats have thoughts in meow language? Etc.

they dream so they must have thoughts.
Diqiucun_Cunmin
Posts: 2,710
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2015 4:29:47 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/5/2015 6:41:06 AM, kp98 wrote:
What's bar language?

Well, basicly ish like order... ordi... ordinerary languidge but takes longer and ends with the speaker falling over. Cheers !

Or maybe:
-Languages where all phrases conform to X-bar syntax? (Under a lexical-functional analysis, that would exclude non-configurational languages.)
-Under the government and binding framework, a language allowing A-bar movements?
The thing is, I hate relativism. I hate relativism more than I hate everything else, excepting, maybe, fibreglass powerboats... What it overlooks, to put it briefly and crudely, is the fixed structure of human nature. - Jerry Fodor

Don't be a stat cynic:
http://www.debate.org...

Response to conservative views on deforestation:
http://www.debate.org...

Topics I'd like to debate (not debating ATM): http://tinyurl.com...
Diqiucun_Cunmin
Posts: 2,710
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2015 4:30:14 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/7/2015 4:29:47 PM, Diqiucun_Cunmin wrote:
At 8/5/2015 6:41:06 AM, kp98 wrote:
What's bar language?

Well, basicly ish like order... ordi... ordinerary languidge but takes longer and ends with the speaker falling over. Cheers !

Or maybe:
-Languages where all phrases conform to X-bar syntax? (Under a lexical-functional analysis, that would exclude non-configurational languages.)
-Under the government and binding framework, a language allowing A-bar movements?

(Sorry, can't resist #NerdyJokes)
The thing is, I hate relativism. I hate relativism more than I hate everything else, excepting, maybe, fibreglass powerboats... What it overlooks, to put it briefly and crudely, is the fixed structure of human nature. - Jerry Fodor

Don't be a stat cynic:
http://www.debate.org...

Response to conservative views on deforestation:
http://www.debate.org...

Topics I'd like to debate (not debating ATM): http://tinyurl.com...