Jump to topic:

What if it were a child? Creationism/Atheism

Sooner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2015 1:22:48 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
If you went into a children's hospital where children were fighting for their lives, and the child said,"it's okay, because I will be in Heaven," would you share with them your nonbelief in Heaven, or let it go?
Ignoring problems doesn't make them go away.
kp98
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2015 2:03:27 PM
I'd let it go. I spent quite a bit of time in the 3rd world with people who had almost nothing except their faith and I never tried to correct them. False hope is much better than no hope from a psychological or practical perspective.

But educated and healthy people who - apparently - want to debate and discuss the such issues is a separate matter. I would't normally argue with creationist, but for a different reason - it's generally a waste of time.
August_Burns_Red
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2015 8:57:23 PM
At 8/1/2015 1:22:48 PM, Sooner wrote:
If you went into a children's hospital where children were fighting for their lives, and the child said,"it's okay, because I will be in Heaven," would you share with them your nonbelief in Heaven, or let it go?

I believe in Heaven, Sooner. But I don't believe all will go there. Sorry, not even sick kids. (it's complicated and I wont go there now). But of course not, I would never tell a kid that. I would confirm his belief to my utmost. (ANd I have done this, my church works with a couple kids' hospitals). Thank you & God Bless.
Tomorrow's forecast: God reigns and the Son shines!
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2015 10:17:21 PM
At 8/1/2015 8:57:23 PM, August_Burns_Red wrote:

I believe in Heaven, Sooner. But I don't believe all will go there. Sorry, not even sick kids.

Or, habitual liars.

(it's complicated and I wont go there now). But of course not, I would never tell a kid that. I would confirm his belief to my utmost. (ANd I have done this, my church works with a couple kids' hospitals). Thank you & God Bless.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2015 12:33:37 AM

If asked directly, I would answer honestly but age-appropriately.
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2015 12:36:34 AM

I'd tell the sick child that life is a series of meaningless stumbles in the dark, and then you die. That to live is to be trapped in a thoughtless machine which grinds itself into oblivion, and that even now the abyss was reaching its cold, pitiless fingers into their frail, failing body. That the last stuttering ionic eructations that comprises their consciousness would soon lose coherence, choke, and break into a flood of nonsense symbols, and that then they would be no more. There is no heaven waiting for them, only the finality, the end, one last impotent spasm of pain signifying nothing.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2015 12:39:37 AM
At 8/2/2015 12:36:34 AM, Skepsikyma wrote:

I'd tell the sick child that life is a series of meaningless stumbles in the dark, and then you die. That to live is to be trapped in a thoughtless machine which grinds itself into oblivion, and that even now the abyss was reaching its cold, pitiless fingers into their frail, failing body. That the last stuttering ionic eructations that comprises their consciousness would soon lose coherence, choke, and break into a flood of nonsense symbols, and that then they would be no more. There is no heaven waiting for them, only the finality, the end, one last impotent spasm of pain signifying nothing.

I would love to have met you as a kid, Skeps. Such a view wouldn't have bothered me at all, and to have such a brave, blunt, frank adult in my child world would have been a real treat. :)
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2015 12:44:04 AM
At 8/2/2015 12:39:37 AM, RuvDraba wrote:

I would love to have met you as a kid, Skeps. Such a view wouldn't have bothered me at all, and to have such a brave, blunt, frank adult in my child world would have been a real treat. :)

Haha, I would never actually say this to a kid unless they really, really wanted my honest opinion. If they were religious I would probably quote Tolkien.

"Pippin: I didn't think it would end this way.
Gandalf: End? No, the journey doesn't end here. Death is just another path... One that we all must take. The grey rain-curtain of this world rolls back, and all turns to silver glass... And then you see it.
Pippin: What? Gandalf?... See what?
Gandalf: White shores... and beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise.
Pippin: [smiling] Well, that isn't so bad.
Gandalf: [softly] No... No it isn't."
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2015 12:56:36 AM
At 8/2/2015 12:44:04 AM, Skepsikyma wrote:
At 8/2/2015 12:39:37 AM, RuvDraba wrote:

Haha, I would never actually say this to a kid unless they really, really wanted my honest opinion. If they were religious I would probably quote Tolkien.

Hmm. In my experience, kids tend to a much darker sense of humour than adults. Since my humour has never really matured past childhood anyway, I find it very hard not to indulge in that with kids.

E.g.

"Are you sure you're going to heaven? You're not coming back to earth?"
"Could I come back to earth?"
"Some people think so."
"That'd be cool."
"But maybe not all of you. Maybe just the unforgettable parts of you."
"Like what?"
"Like maybe just your stinky bottom, your smelly feet, and your bitey teeth."