dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2015 11:00:54 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
The universe is dying slowly:

http://news.discovery.com...

A study of more than 200,000 galaxies, encompassing wavelengths of light from the far ultraviolet to infrared, shows that the universe is producing half as much energy as it did 2 billion years ago and continues to fade. "Newer galaxies are simply putting out less energy than galaxies did in the past," astronomer Mehmet Alpaslan, with NASA's Ames Research Center in Mountain View, Calif., told Discovery News. In other words, astronomers, for the first time, have gathered observational evidence that our universe is slowly marching toward its eventual heat death (in a few trillion years time).

Cool design, God. Not.
Chaosism
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2015 1:27:27 PM
At 8/12/2015 11:00:54 AM, dee-em wrote:

A study of more than 200,000 galaxies, encompassing wavelengths of light from the far ultraviolet to infrared, shows that the universe is producing half as much energy as it did 2 billion years ago and continues to fade. "Newer galaxies are simply putting out less energy than galaxies did in the past," astronomer Mehmet Alpaslan, with NASA's Ames Research Center in Mountain View, Calif., told Discovery News. In other words, astronomers, for the first time, have gathered observational evidence that our universe is slowly marching toward its eventual heat death (in a few trillion years time).

Cool design, God. Not.

I see what you did there.

Repent! The time is nigh! ~looks at watch~

But really, in looking into this topic more, I didn't realize that there were so many proposed ideas regarding the end of the universe. I knew about Heat Death/Big Freeze and the Big Crunch, but I didn't know about the Big Rip or the few others listed on Wiki. (https://en.wikipedia.org...)
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2015 2:54:18 PM
At 8/12/2015 1:27:27 PM, Chaosism wrote:

Cool design, God. Not.

But really, in looking into this topic more, I didn't realize that there were so many proposed ideas regarding the end of the universe. I knew about Heat Death/Big Freeze and the Big Crunch, but I didn't know about the Big Rip or the few others listed on Wiki. (https://en.wikipedia.org...)

For some reason I find the False Vacuum the scariest. I'm not sure why other than that the tunnelling could occur without warning at any moment and ... poof.

The coolest (sorry, I can't help myself) idea I've heard relates to the Heat Death. Someone suggested that once all black holes have evaporated and the last proton has decayed and there is no matter of any kind left in the universe, only energy, then the spatial dimensions will lose any meaning and simply disappear. At that point there will no longer be space and the universe will return to its initial state. A variation on the Big Bounce in other words.
janesix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2015 5:40:57 PM
At 8/12/2015 2:54:18 PM, dee-em wrote:

Cool design, God. Not.

For some reason I find the False Vacuum the scariest. I'm not sure why other than that the tunnelling could occur without warning at any moment and ... poof.

The coolest (sorry, I can't help myself) idea I've heard relates to the Heat Death. Someone suggested that once all black holes have evaporated and the last proton has decayed and there is no matter of any kind left in the universe, only energy, then the spatial dimensions will lose any meaning and simply disappear. At that point there will no longer be space and the universe will return to its initial state. A variation on the Big Bounce in other words.

I don't know anything about black holes, but can they "evaporate"? Do we really know anything about them?
August_Burns_Red
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2015 10:20:19 PM

Cool design, God. Not.

cool design, God. Yes. you forgot to mention this part of your link.,........

The timeline for all this to come to pass is very long, hundreds of trillions of years," he added.

So we'll all be long long gone by then, my friend and God Amazing Universe will have long ago served its purpose. the very origin of it is proof of God. have you ever read about how perfect everything had to be? we're talking in the areas of one-millionths of one percent in areas like gravity and matter/anti-matter composition. you picked a poor link to support your atheist claim, DM. you can do better! God Bless.
Tomorrow's forecast: God reigns and the Son shines!
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2015 12:13:26 AM

Cool design, God. Not.

I wouldn't say that it's begun within the last year or so. Assuming that the Universe is actually as old as certain people claim, it would've begun probably several million years ago, amiright?
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
YamaVonKarma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2015 12:29:02 AM
At 8/12/2015 5:40:57 PM, janesix wrote:

Cool design, God. Not.

I don't know anything about black holes, but can they "evaporate"? Do we really know anything about them?

In theory, black holes can starve to death. Such would happen after everything in the universe is consumed aside from those black holes.
People who I've called as mafia DP1:
TUF, and YYW
August_Burns_Red
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2015 2:31:20 AM
At 8/13/2015 12:13:26 AM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

Cool design, God. Not.

I wouldn't say that it's begun within the last year or so. Assuming that the Universe is actually as old as certain people claim, it would've begun probably several million years ago, amiright?

exactly VV. when you look at 14 billion years than even 10 million years ago is like less than 1/1000th of the total time. A 0.001%. the whole cooling thing is just working the way God Designed it too. its part of a cycle, and as you and I know Nature is Cyclical. Its further evidence of design. something NOT designed would not show this sort of perfect order. the whole "universe is dying" is sensationalist headlines. thats what magazines do! the print version of a soundbite! if Discovery entitled the article "Universe is Slowly Cooling as Physics Predicted it too All Along" less people would be intrigued by the headline. I wont call this yellow journalism but its for sure misleading.
God Bless.
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2015 3:27:43 AM

Cool design, God. Not.

Not dying, it's not a living thing, just change.
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2015 3:35:08 AM
At 8/13/2015 2:31:20 AM, August_Burns_Red wrote:

Cool design, God. Not.

exactly VV. when you look at 14 billion years than even 10 million years ago is like less than 1/1000th of the total time. A 0.001%. the whole cooling thing is just working the way God Designed it too. its part of a cycle, and as you and I know Nature is Cyclical. Its further evidence of design. something NOT designed would not show this sort of perfect order. the whole "universe is dying" is sensationalist headlines. thats what magazines do! the print version of a soundbite! if Discovery entitled the article "Universe is Slowly Cooling as Physics Predicted it too All Along" less people would be intrigued by the headline. I wont call this yellow journalism but its for sure misleading.
God Bless.

"Perfect order".........................Now who is being sensationalist ?
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
August_Burns_Red
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2015 3:37:58 AM
At 8/13/2015 3:35:08 AM, Illegalcombatant wrote:

Cool design, God. Not.

God Bless.

Hey IC, good to see ya!

Senasationalist? Nope sorry. Its well knowed fact that God perfectly tuned our Universe. Its called "Bio logos." I like to call it Theologos! LOL. Lookie here.............http://biologos.org...
Ramshutu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2015 3:47:58 AM

Cool design, God. Not.

Cool design. No.

Cooling design. Yes.

Assymptotically approaching absolutely zero, to be precise.
August_Burns_Red
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2015 3:51:58 AM
At 8/13/2015 12:29:02 AM, YamaVonKarma wrote:

Cool design, God. Not.

In theory, black holes can starve to death. Such would happen after everything in the universe is consumed aside from those black holes.

Evaporate is not the right term as that means to sotr of vaporize and move to a less dense state. "Collapse" or implode would probly be closer to the truth,Ruth. An idea I had on this after I read about Dark Energy is that maybe the Black Holes condense into a pinpoint, then a molecule size, and then sort of diseminate into the unseen force that IS Dark Energy! This would answer some questions, wouldnt it? I dont have near the math smarts to work out any sort of equation for this idea, but in my gut it sounds right. And Im doing some reading on it when I get the chance. Its so funny, before I got Saved I was terrible in science. In most school stuff. Except PE! LOL. But now I read stuff and it just comes to me so easy. Inever got past basic math in school but last semester I took a college algebra course an aced it. And I read A Brief History of Time and got a A on the book report! I can also predict the weather now 90% of the time. I do this forour surfing forecasts. alot of times I'll go against the forecast from NOAH and be right! My friends joke about it and say Hey ask God what the surf's gonna be like Saturday. and I do and they accuse me of looking at a long range forecast online or someting but I dont! Most things dealing with Life or our Earth or people's thoughts I "just get" in my gut so clear its like a voice. I take no credit andgive it allto God. Im guessing Im to use this gift somehow to doHis work, but Im not sure in what capacity.
Oh sorry, I went way off topic there. The science nerds are gonna be pis.sed! LOL back to topic. Black Holes implode, spread-out, become Dark Energy. Creating balance because black holes go INWARD and Red Shift, Dark Energy pull OUT.
Fine tuned and cyclical and balanced like most God Driven Nature.

God Bless!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2015 4:02:20 AM

Cool design, God. Not.

Quantum tunneling at the event horizon means that black holes can very, very slowly evaporate emitting Hawking radiation.

https://en.wikipedia.org...

Yes, this science is on firm ground.
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2015 4:09:57 AM
At 8/12/2015 10:20:19 PM, August_Burns_Red wrote:

Cool design, God. Not.

cool design, God. Yes. you forgot to mention this part of your link.,........

The timeline for all this to come to pass is very long, hundreds of trillions of years," he added.

So we'll all be long long gone by then, my friend and God Amazing Universe will have long ago served its purpose. the very origin of it is proof of God.

So good designed something to self-destruct? Lol.

The end of life will come much sooner than the above figure. In fact, it won't be long, given the accelerating expansion of the universe, when all the other galaxies are no longer visible to us. Our galaxy, combined with Andromeda after a collision, will be an island of light in a sea of black.

have you ever read about how perfect everything had to be? we're talking in the areas of one-millionths of one percent in areas like gravity and matter/anti-matter composition. you picked a poor link to support your atheist claim, DM. you can do better!

If I was omnipotent, yes, definitely.
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2015 4:14:45 AM

Cool design, God. Not.

There must have been a turning point when star production still eclipsed star extinction and then they were level. That point has definitely been passed, at least 2 billion years ago from the sound of it. We are now in for a slow, slow decline before the eventual heat death.
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2015 4:15:39 AM
At 8/13/2015 3:37:58 AM, August_Burns_Red wrote:

Cool design, God. Not.

God Bless.

Hey IC, good to see ya!

Senasationalist? Nope sorry. Its well knowed fact that God perfectly tuned our Universe. Its called "Bio logos." I like to call it Theologos! LOL. Lookie here.............http://biologos.org...

"Perfect order" goes way beyond certain physical variables. If you said hey we live in a life permitting universe sure ok, but you didn't say that you said "PERFECT ORDER" in regard to the universe as a whole and all parts there in.

That is sensationalist. I called you out on it.

So now about "fine tuning".

Any intelligent life form (not just humans) that exist in a universe will find themselves in a universe that is life permitting. You don't find life in non life permitting life universes now do you ?

Unfortunately that little fact is I find is often look over in these intelligent design advocates and thus they now proclaim look at the astronomical odds !!! had such and such not of happened we would not exist in the first place !!! As such intelligent design is claimed to be justifiably inferred and maybe even the work...................of a GOD.

There is a story I once heard which is meant to draw some one attention to our own irrational reasoning. The story is a few thousands years ago about some sailor or captain remarking about how after one particular voyage they thought they were going to die. The water was coming in, the sea was bashing them around, they thought they were going to die.

But the men cried out to the Gods and remarkable they made it home alive.

But another man remarked but what about those people who don't make it home ? What about the other ships that were destroyed and took their crew down to them to the bottom of the sea. Well...............you don't here there side of the story.

In other words only the people who make it back alive get to tell their side of the story (causing a data bias) and thus praise the Gods for their good fortune.

Now I wonder if there are any lessons that are applicable to the claims of (deliberate) fine tuning of this particular universe we find ourselves in.

What do you think ? do you find any parallels here ?
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2015 4:20:36 AM

Cool design, God. Not.

exactly VV. when you look at 14 billion years than even 10 million years ago is like less than 1/1000th of the total time. A 0.001%. the whole cooling thing is just working the way God Designed it too. its part of a cycle, and as you and I know Nature is Cyclical. Its further evidence of design. something NOT designed would not show this sort of perfect order.

What/ Why is a cycle (rather than stasis) evidence of order? According to you anything and everything is evidence of design! It's ridiculous.

the whole "universe is dying" is sensationalist headlines. thats what magazines do! the print version of a soundbite! if Discovery entitled the article "Universe is Slowly Cooling as Physics Predicted it too All Along" less people would be intrigued by the headline. I wont call this yellow journalism but its for sure misleading.

It's perfectly true. Just as you have been dying from the moment you were born, so is the universe. These are facts. Yes, they can be sensationalized, but they're still facts.
Ramshutu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2015 4:36:25 AM
At 8/13/2015 3:37:58 AM, August_Burns_Red wrote:

Cool design, God. Not.

God Bless.

Hey IC, good to see ya!

The fraction of the universe in which it's properties are such that it would not kill humans instantly, is so mind bogglingly small that no one in their right mind would claim it's fine tuned.

You wouldn't claim that an entire planet which only had enough space for one person to live without dying instantly "fine tuned for life". And that is orders of magnitude "more fine tuned" than the universe.
August_Burns_Red
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2015 8:21:13 PM
At 8/13/2015 4:20:36 AM, dee-em wrote:

Cool design, God. Not.

exactly VV. when you look at 14 billion years than even 10 million years ago is like less than 1/1000th of the total time. A 0.001%. the whole cooling thing is just working the way God Designed it too. its part of a cycle, and as you and I know Nature is Cyclical. Its further evidence of design. something NOT designed would not show this sort of perfect order.

What/ Why is a cycle (rather than stasis) evidence of order? According to you anything and everything is evidence of design! It's ridiculous.

the whole "universe is dying" is sensationalist headlines. thats what magazines do! the print version of a soundbite! if Discovery entitled the article "Universe is Slowly Cooling as Physics Predicted it too All Along" less people would be intrigued by the headline. I wont call this yellow journalism but its for sure misleading.

It's perfectly true. Just as you have been dying from the moment you were born, so is the universe. These are facts. Yes, they can be sensationalized, but they're still facts.

MISLEADING facts. so much so that they're worthless. its like this fact: did you know that the average man in the world has LESS than two legs? Ill tell you later why that is a FACT if you dont get it. but it makes my OP point. just like saying we;re dying from when we're born. very very misleading. since we are really on our way to PEAK or optimal health both mental and physical for the first two decades at least. this is my field, BTW, the physical part, so I know a bit. thanks you and God Bless.
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2015 1:25:18 AM
At 8/13/2015 8:21:13 PM, August_Burns_Red wrote:

Cool design, God. Not.

MISLEADING facts. so much so that they're worthless.

How is it misleading? It's one thing to say it. It's another to make a reasoned argument.

its like this fact: did you know that the average man in the world has LESS than two legs? Ill tell you later why that is a FACT if you dont get it. but it makes my OP point.

I fail to see the connection. Yes there are amputees in the world and it brings down the average slightly. So what? How is this related to the fact that the universe is on its way to a heat death?

just like saying we;re dying from when we're born. very very misleading. since we are really on our way to PEAK or optimal health both mental and physical for the first two decades at least. this is my field, BTW, the physical part, so I know a bit.

As soon as the cells in your body began replicating, you were on the way to death. Yes, we go through a growth phase and reach our peak physical condition ( a turning point just as for the universe) but that doesn't change the fact that the turning point was inevitable. There are only a certain number of times cell division can occur because of telomeres shortening. That shortening leads to eventual aging and death. Similarly for the universe, there is only a finite amount of hydrogen available for fusion in suns. Yes, the universe too went through a growth phase and has reached its optimum (in terms of star production) and passed it. That doesn't change the fact that the demise of the universe was inevitable from the Big Bang onwards. Cool design, God.
August_Burns_Red
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2015 1:34:44 AM
At 8/14/2015 1:25:18 AM, dee-em wrote:

Cool design, God. Not.

How is it misleading? It's one thing to say it. It's another to make a reasoned argument.

its like this fact: did you know that the average man in the world has LESS than two legs? Ill tell you later why that is a FACT if you dont get it. but it makes my OP point.

I fail to see the connection. Yes there are amputees in the world and it brings down the average slightly. So what? How is this related to the fact that the universe is on its way to a heat death?

just like saying we;re dying from when we're born. very very misleading. since we are really on our way to PEAK or optimal health both mental and physical for the first two decades at least. this is my field, BTW, the physical part, so I know a bit.

As soon as the cells in your body began replicating, you were on the way to death. Yes, we go through a growth phase and reach our peak physical condition ( a turning point just as for the universe) but that doesn't change the fact that the turning point was inevitable. There are only a certain number of times cell division can occur because of telomeres shortening. That shortening leads to eventual aging and death. Similarly for the universe, there is only a finite amount of hydrogen available for fusion in suns. Yes, the universe too went through a growth phase and has reached its optimum (in terms of star production) and passed it. That doesn't change the fact that the demise of the universe was inevitable from the Big Bang onwards. Cool design, God.

Misleading as in attempting to sell magazines with a claim that is over-generalized and not useful for common sense living. like the bit about looking at a 5 year old healthy baby and saying, "Hmmmm, how cute! too bed he's on his way to Death" when in fact his entire life is before him." somtimes naked and technically correct facts dont serve the purpose of relating the cognitavely useful state of affairs. the amputee example is a good one. to use naked stats that the average man and woman has 1.999 legs says nothing. you can go years living in a big city and seeing hundreds of people every day and not see this fact visually. or see an amputee. Hey look we're making much ado here over nothing, DM. I just thought that the Discovery headline was sensationalist thats all. If you like Ill grant tht technically its true. OK, you win. Feel better? God Bless
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2015 1:45:23 AM
At 8/14/2015 1:34:44 AM, August_Burns_Red wrote:

Cool design, God. Not.

Misleading as in attempting to sell magazines with a claim that is over-generalized and not useful for common sense living. like the bit about looking at a 5 year old healthy baby and saying, "Hmmmm, how cute! too bed he's on his way to Death" when in fact his entire life is before him." somtimes naked and technically correct facts dont serve the purpose of relating the cognitavely useful state of affairs. the amputee example is a good one. to use naked stats that the average man and woman has 1.999 legs says nothing. you can go years living in a big city and seeing hundreds of people every day and not see this fact visually. or see an amputee. Hey look we're making much ado here over nothing, DM. I just thought that the Discovery headline was sensationalist thats all. If you like Ill grant tht technically its true. OK, you win. Feel better?

It's not about winning or losing, ABR. It's about accuracy. Your analogy is inapt because we are not talking about the universe in its baby stage. The universe is over 20 (by your analogy) and it is on the downward slide. That's what the article was reporting and it is factually correct according to the evidence they have gathered. I don't see where the sensationalism comes in. The article itself stated that the final heat death was trillions of years into the future.
August_Burns_Red
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2015 1:58:03 AM
At 8/14/2015 1:45:23 AM, dee-em wrote:
At 8/14/2015 1:34:44 AM, August_Burns_Red wrote:

Cool design, God. Not.

Misleading as in attempting to sell magazines with a claim that is over-generalized and not useful for common sense living. like the bit about looking at a 5 year old healthy baby and saying, "Hmmmm, how cute! too bed he's on his way to Death" when in fact his entire life is before him." somtimes naked and technically correct facts dont serve the purpose of relating the cognitavely useful state of affairs. the amputee example is a good one. to use naked stats that the average man and woman has 1.999 legs says nothing. you can go years living in a big city and seeing hundreds of people every day and not see this fact visually. or see an amputee. Hey look we're making much ado here over nothing, DM. I just thought that the Discovery headline was sensationalist thats all. If you like Ill grant tht technically its true. OK, you win. Feel better?

It's not about winning or losing, ABR. It's about accuracy. Your analogy is inapt because we are not talking about the universe in its baby stage. The universe is over 20 (by your analogy) and it is on the downward slide. That's what the article was reporting and it is factually correct according to the evidence they have gathered. I don't see where the sensationalism comes in. The article itself stated that the final heat death was trillions of years into the future.

yeah it did and it toook me to paste that part in my OP on this thread. the headline didnt say it nor did you in your OP. but its all good, DM. we can move on now! God Bless
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2015 3:53:51 PM
If the universe is facing heat death, it largely refutes the closed universe theory, which proposes that the universe would collapse back into a singularity. It slowly builds a stronger case for the existence of dark energy by means of that.
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass
Juan_Pablo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2015 4:12:07 PM
Nothing as foul as God (the universe) should live forever.

I can't say I'm not entirely unhappy about this news. There is a twinkle of satisfaction that I feel with knowing this.
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2015 1:18:04 AM
At 8/16/2015 3:53:51 PM, tejretics wrote:
If the universe is facing heat death, it largely refutes the closed universe theory, which proposes that the universe would collapse back into a singularity. It slowly builds a stronger case for the existence of dark energy by means of that.

Not really. The ultimate fate of the universe if it was not closed (observations are pointing to a flat universe) would be the same with or without dark energy. The existence of dark energy merely accelerates the process of expansion and cooling.

https://en.wikipedia.org...

In absence of dark energy, a flat universe expands forever but at a continually decelerating rate, with expansion asymptotically approaching zero. With dark energy, the expansion rate of the universe initially slows down, due to the effect of gravity, but eventually increases. The ultimate fate of the universe is the same as an open universe.

The fate of the universe is determined by the density of the universe. The preponderance of evidence to date, based on measurements of the rate of expansion and the mass density, favors a universe that will continue to expand indefinitely, resulting in the "big freeze" scenario below.[8] However, observations are not conclusive, and alternative models are still possible.[9]
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2015 10:35:26 AM
At 8/17/2015 1:18:04 AM, dee-em wrote:

First, observations confirm that the universe is flat. But we also know that the universe expands at an *accelerating* rate. From this, dark energy is most likely existent.
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2015 11:24:58 AM
At 8/17/2015 10:35:26 AM, tejretics wrote:

First, observations confirm that the universe is flat. But we also know that the universe expands at an *accelerating* rate. From this, dark energy is most likely existent.

I never said otherwise, although the verdict is not quite in yet on flatness.

Your post said:
"If the universe is facing heat death, it largely refutes the closed universe theory, which proposes that the universe would collapse back into a singularity. It slowly builds a stronger case for the existence of dark energy by means of that".

The evidence for dark energy is the accelerating expansion of the universe, not what you indicated above. Am I missing something?
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2015 1:22:17 PM
At 8/17/2015 11:24:58 AM, dee-em wrote:
At 8/17/2015 10:35:26 AM, tejretics wrote:

I never said otherwise, although the verdict is not quite in yet on flatness.

Your post said:
"If the universe is facing heat death, it largely refutes the closed universe theory, which proposes that the universe would collapse back into a singularity. It slowly builds a stronger case for the existence of dark energy by means of that".

The evidence for dark energy is the accelerating expansion of the universe, not what you indicated above. Am I missing something?

Yes, you are. If closed universe is nigh-definitely wrong, then flat universe has 99% [to be precise, I think 99.4% or something] chance of being correct, meaning the universe should be decelerating. But it's accelerating, making the existence of dark energy likely.